Cruz on course to set Giants’ single-season record for receiving yards

Philadelphia Eagles v New York Giants Getty Images

Undrafted in 2010 and a reserve for nine of 11 games in 2011, Giants receiver Victor Cruz is on pace to do something very significant.

At his current rate of 87 receiving yards per game, Cruz would finish with 1,392.  And that would set the franchise single-season record.  (Amani Toomer currently holds the mark, with 1,343 yards in 2002.)

That’s crazy man,” Cruz said, per Jeff Roberts of the Bergen Record.  “I mean, I don’t even know how to respond, how to react to that, because it wasn’t even in my wildest dreams to even be the all-time leading receiver for the New York Giants.”

When he joined the team, Cruz hoped merely to make the roster.  “I was just trying to find my niche on this team and just find a place, whether it be special teams or kickoff returns, just any way I could help this team out and get myself on the field, that’s what I wanted to do,” Cruz said.

He’s now 43 yards away from a 1,000-yard receiving season.

Cruz emerged as a potential star in the 2010 preseason, but a hamstring injury shut him down without a catch in his rookie regular season.  Now, he’s standing out among a group that includes Hakeem Nicks and Mario Manningham.  And with Manningham listed as doubtful for Sunday’s game against the Packers, look for Cruz to get even more chances.

He may even get his third career start.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
29 Responses to “Cruz on course to set Giants’ single-season record for receiving yards”
  1. commandercornpone says: Dec 3, 2011 10:14 PM

too bad for them they cant run the ball.

the giants rank 21st in the league in time of possession. 3 teams (arguably) better than them are worse… NE, detroit, tennessee.

NE and detroit are way more explosive offensively. they dont need to win time of possession. tennessee is better defensively and running offense, and special teams.

giants might not finish .500.

2. cornellsteelers says: Dec 3, 2011 10:18 PM

He’s also on course to save my fantasy team from injury-induced doom.

3. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 3, 2011 10:21 PM

We will run it tomorrow. GUARANTEED. AB is back.

Cruz is going to make a mockery of Woodson and his gambling to jump routes. And if they try to shade to his side, Nicks can beat Tramon, even though Tramon is my son.

4. ctiggs says: Dec 3, 2011 10:25 PM

he also cost me my number 1 seed in my fantasy league

5. nyyjetsknicks says: Dec 3, 2011 10:30 PM

Play Cruz in fantasy this week. Not happy about it. Giants will be forced to throw a ton to catch up to the packers.

6. dionoil says: Dec 3, 2011 10:36 PM

I made a mental note of this dude when he went off in the preseason last year. He’s a keeper

7. biz518 says: Dec 3, 2011 10:38 PM

8. gcsuk says: Dec 3, 2011 10:39 PM

commandercornpone says:
    Dec 3, 2011 10:14 PM
    too bad for them they cant run the ball.

giants might not finish .500.
    ———————————————————
    That’s wonderful, cornpone. You mind telling the rest of us exactly what that has to do with the story about Victor Cruz? thanks in advance.

9. kane337 says: Dec 3, 2011 11:19 PM

I am not a Giants fan but I LOVE the Victor Cruz TD dance. It’s the best one ever.

10. cmb79 says: Dec 3, 2011 11:35 PM

I love me some Victor.

11. roadtrip3500 says: Dec 3, 2011 11:45 PM

Just as important, Cruz showed up a bunch of “better” receivers Monday night against the Saints. He scored two TDs late in the game, but knowing his team was getting blown out, he simply flipped the ball to an official and jogged to the bench without his end-zone salsa dance. That’s a young player who’s been coached properly and understands the game as a whole is bigger than his own achievements.

12. giantsfan428 says: Dec 4, 2011 12:12 AM

biz518 said
    “i (a non-giants fan) told all the giants fan in my office before the season to watch out for cruz, saw him in albany and could tell he had what it took, good for him”

except that the Giants didn’t hold their training camp in Albany this year. However, I did see Cruz practicing with Eli at my high school this past summer during their lockout workouts, and made sure to draft him in every league I’m in. SO glad I did that.

13. turdfurgerson68 says: Dec 4, 2011 12:23 AM

He played college ball right in the Patriots backyard…considering the release of Taylor Price (3rd rd pick), he was a huge miss by New England.

Glad to see he’s doing well.

14. mikehockhurtz says: Dec 4, 2011 12:33 AM

That stat will come in great when he is watching the playoffs from the couch

15. trbowman says: Dec 4, 2011 12:46 AM

Sad news is the GMen keep wasting carries on a broken down back Jacobs. If they featured Scott, there’d be no problem. All he does is make big runs when he’s been out there.

16. wkinsomnia says: Dec 4, 2011 12:51 AM

@ Dionoil

I also noticed him last year in Pre-Season. I even drafted him with my last pick. Then found out he got hurt. This kid has unlimited potential and the heart and passion to be something special in the NFL. I wish him the best(and that’s coming from a Chicago born Bears fan).

17. nekelund says: Dec 4, 2011 1:07 AM

Really? I’m surprised how low that number is. Toomer’s single-season record of 1343 yards is only 94th on the all-time best single season receiving performances.

18. east96st says: Dec 4, 2011 1:12 AM

Cruz – 55 recs, 957 yds, 17.4 avg, 7 TDs.
    DeSean – 43 recs, 698 yds, 16.2 avg, 2 TDs.

Which one has “outperformed” his contract?

19. ljtola says: Dec 4, 2011 3:13 AM

This guy is 4th in the league in receiving and not even on the PB ballot.

20. elwaysbrain says: Dec 4, 2011 5:43 AM

90% of his yards and catches are a result of blown coverages and bad tackling…

21. discosucs2005 says: Dec 4, 2011 8:19 AM

Amari Toomer was the one Giant I felt bad for when the 49ers stole a win from the Giants in the 2002 playoffs. With Cruz The Giants are continuing their recent tradition of having low-key, very productive WRs.

22. greymares says: Dec 4, 2011 8:32 AM

Mr. Wright 212 says:
    Dec 3, 2011 10:21 PM
    We will run it tomorrow. GUARANTEED. AB is back.
    ————————————–
    It’s a good thing you haven’t had to back up your guarantees with cash you have made about 40 this year and were right maybe twice. and by the way stop with the “WE STUFF” you dont play.

23. gcsuk says: Dec 4, 2011 9:08 AM

elwaysbrain says:
    Dec 4, 2011 5:43 AM
    90% of his yards and catches are a result of blown coverages and bad tackling…
    ———————————————————-
    Since every DB now goes for the “blow up” hit or the “ESPN Highlight Pick 6″, 90% of EVERYONE’S catches are the result of bad tackling and blown coverage. Stop acting like it’s just Cruz.
    Besides, he has made some of the most physical and ridiculous acrobatic catches I’ve seen…like when he out-muscled Nnamdi in the end zone when they beat Philly? priceless.

24. packersrule12 says: Dec 4, 2011 9:14 AM

I don’t think they’ll be running too much. When your down 2 or 3 scores you have to pass to get back in the game.

25. ruffbufffire says: Dec 4, 2011 9:45 AM

I will be purchasing my first NFL jersey in years! CRUZZZZZZZZ! Saved my fantasy team

26. johnnyjagfan says: Dec 4, 2011 9:45 AM

Ditto all the commentary on Cruz’s fantasy value. I drafted him, too and am sitting there with Megatron, Dez & Cruz. His reality value is even better–you watch the guy and he’s big, jumps, has sticky hands–everything. Why can’t you find a real WR, Gene Smith? I’m ready for our #1 to be at least 5’9.

27. jc1958cool says: Dec 4, 2011 9:46 AM

mr wright > you must be on drugs or sleeping, maybe both!! lmao

28. tdrundmc says: Dec 4, 2011 9:55 AM

for those bagging on jacobs, bradshaw isn’t much better and just as fragile.

29. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 4, 2011 12:08 PM

Greymares 4-8 pendeja. You are just grasping for straws at this point. Resorting to the tired, limpwristed “we” argument again? Hurts don’t it.

I don’t even make guarantees fool. The whole world knows bradshaw will get carries and do more than Jacobs without two starting LBs for green bay.

Dream Team.