Gunther Cunningham: Ndamukong Suh is “a great man”

Gunther Cunningham AP

Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh has taken a lot of criticism lately, but Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham won’t pile on.

Cunningham says he’s not going to defend the action that led to Suh’s two-game suspension, but he’s also not going to condemn Suh as a person.

Well, I can’t defend it,” Cunningham told the Detroit Free Press. “I’m sure that the organization’s in charge of that. I coach him, and I love him, and I’ll never change on that. He’s a great man, and I appreciate the ability I have to coach him.”

While Suh is out, Cunningham said, the Lions’ defense will be counting on rookie Nick Fairley to have an impact.

“He’s getting better every day,” Cunningham said of Fairley. “He can run. You look at him, he’s 317 pounds and he runs down the field like a linebacker. And you can see he’s coming on. His personality is really upbeat right now, and he knows what he’s got to do and he’s excited about it.”

With their best interior pass rusher suspended, the Lions are going to need Fairley to get pressure on Drew Brees when the Lions play the Saints on Sunday night.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
50 Responses to “Gunther Cunningham: Ndamukong Suh is “a great man””
  1. kwgator says: Dec 4, 2011 7:27 AM

“So is Michael Vick”

Signed

SPCA

2. doggz109 says: Dec 4, 2011 7:28 AM

He is probably scared of Suh.

3. larryfinfan says: Dec 4, 2011 7:43 AM

Yet another coach that allows Suh’s type of behavior instead of attempting to change it. Suh is a very talented DL and I’d love to have him on my favorite team, but the fact is that at this point, he’s out of control at times and that needs to be corrected. Cunningham and Schwartz promote that “out of control” that he displays. They need to be corrected just as he does, be that thru money or suspension as well. I’m glad the Commish suspended him. It’s the only way, at this point, to get thru to him. Too bad it doesn’t appear to be the way to get thru to Schwartz and Cunningham yet…

4. packfaninchitown says: Dec 4, 2011 7:49 AM

He’s going to be great from the sidelines today…

5. hscorpio says: Dec 4, 2011 7:51 AM

Suh seems a lot more like an out of control teenager to me.

6. malikpeterson says: Dec 4, 2011 7:56 AM

larryfinfan says:
    Dec 4, 2011 7:43 AM

“Yet another coach that allows Suh’s type of behavior instead of attempting to change it.”
    —————————————————-
    “Well, I can’t defend it,” Cunningham told the Detroit Free Press.

I am curious to know which parts of your comment and Gunther’s actually “gel”.

Kinda like…

“I’m hungry for some type of meat”

“I don’t desire food of any kind”

See what I did there?

7. joetoronto says: Dec 4, 2011 7:56 AM

Suh is a “great man”?

I’ve never liked Cunningham but I’ve respected him, until now.

What an ass.

8. righton989 says: Dec 4, 2011 7:58 AM

He’s just trying to get to kiss both cheeks long and hard so that when Psycho Sueh returns, his head won’t be torn off. Keep the ‘roids flowing.

9. 7thlombardiontheway says: Dec 4, 2011 7:59 AM

Lolz

10. bmoreballbuster says: Dec 4, 2011 8:00 AM

Recent “props” from Gunther Cunningham:
    Genghis Khan was a great man…
    Jefferey Dahmer was a great man…
    John Wilkes Booth was a great man…
    Hey Gunther, we’ll make our own conclusions w/o yours!

11. camssportsjam says: Dec 4, 2011 8:06 AM

Hey morons criticizing Gunther, try reading the article. nowhere in there did he say “suh stomping on that kid was awesome! He should do it again.” he was defending Suh’s personality, not his play

12. discosucs2005 says: Dec 4, 2011 8:11 AM

I think Suh behaved like a jackass but you can’t expect people that work closely with him to completely dismiss him as a person because of awful judgment that was based on an emotional reaction.

Anyone that’s done anything competitive knows that it can be difficult to control your emotions at times. If Suh doesn’t improve at that, his career will undoubtedly be short lived. But let’s not rail on one of his coaches for not instantly hating him. He didn’t defend the behavior just the man.

13. hoosierdude says: Dec 4, 2011 8:14 AM

@bmoreballbuster:
    Recent “props” from Gunther Cunningham:
    Genghis Khan was a great man…
    Jefferey Dahmer was a great man…
    John Wilkes Booth was a great man…
    Hey Gunther, we’ll make our own conclusions w/o yours!

So was that German dude with the funny ‘stache.

14. 6kings says: Dec 4, 2011 8:23 AM

Maybe that poor offensive lineman was the man that named him Suh.

When did being mean get so unpopular? Suh is a stud.

15. i3addog says: Dec 4, 2011 8:26 AM

I use to think , good for the up and coming Lions. Now I hope they get buried again.

16. jc1958cool says: Dec 4, 2011 8:26 AM

he forgot to mention STUPID football player!

17. nesuperfan says: Dec 4, 2011 8:27 AM

Great man? I think he just meant “great big man”.

18. purpleattack says: Dec 4, 2011 8:46 AM

The long answer? No.

19. snarkzilla says: Dec 4, 2011 8:48 AM

Narcissists and Sociopaths can be quite likeable. Both lack empathy.

20. dd393 says: Dec 4, 2011 8:55 AM

… and a great sportsman, and a great driver.

21. lionsfanatic84 says: Dec 4, 2011 8:55 AM

Bmoreballbuster-
    Of the multiple posts talking about how bad and dirty Suh is, and lots of people agreeing with it, reaching the same conclusion, one person says he is a decent person and now we can come to our own conclusion???
    SMH

22. mrnick66 says: Dec 4, 2011 9:04 AM

gunther = enabler….judge a person on how the behave in times of pressure,not on how they behave when all is calm

23. bunjy96 says: Dec 4, 2011 9:06 AM

Is it true that Fairly is the same type of player?

Read that somewhere.

24. snarkzilla says: Dec 4, 2011 9:15 AM

He’s a great person who loses control and tries to injure other people after plays are dead and while he’s driving.

25. citiciti says: Dec 4, 2011 9:19 AM

YO-YO-YO, Suh I hope you didn’t scrape up them 22’s

26. suhsquad says: Dec 4, 2011 9:22 AM

Ndamukong Suh is one of the nicest people in the NFL off the field and one of the most feared on the field. Call him dirty all you want on the field, but as a Husker native/fan I appreciate him donating part of his salary to help the school’s athletics out.

27. steelerchicken says: Dec 4, 2011 9:26 AM

Although GODdell is trying to make his league advertiser Friendly. It is nice on a Sunday morning to see his coach standing by his lead dog.

Suh made a mistake as did Vick. Before you throw these guys to the curb give them a chance to redeem themselves. They are still young!

28. jredshoes says: Dec 4, 2011 9:28 AM

The thing I find funny is everyone is complaining about Suh but we all know we’d be pumped if he was on our team.

29. blackbug99 says: Dec 4, 2011 9:28 AM

A boy named Suh (Bows to Johnny Cash) is precisely what he is. I’m sure he is the most polite young man, off the field, you could ever meet. But, like all young men, he’s unpolished. When he learns to keep the fire and add professionalism, he will be a force for years. He needs to learn that “Dirtiest Player” isn’t the rep he wants. “Most Feared and Respected,” is the legacy he wants!

30. ironmanfe says: Dec 4, 2011 9:36 AM

Suh overreacted to a situation. If you look at the whole play you’d see that the “kicking” was the end part of a scrum and not just an arbitrary act. If you understand the game you know that you have to impose your will in the trenches. It’s obvious that some of you don’t understand this and would like to take the brute force aspect out of the game. Find yourself a good basketball team.

31. jimbroney says: Dec 4, 2011 9:37 AM

Never trust a man named Gunther.

32. lionsfanatic84 says: Dec 4, 2011 9:39 AM

Look at who is leading pro bowl voting for defensive tackle, Suh still gets plenty of respect

33. coolgato13 says: Dec 4, 2011 9:41 AM

Oh please Mr. Cunningham, just shut up before I lose even more respect for you.

34. worldwidebleater says: Dec 4, 2011 9:45 AM

“Well, I can’t defend it”, but Pol Pot made a fabulous Waldorf salad.

35. Derty Ernie says: Dec 4, 2011 9:52 AM

Suh saved Gunthers job since most people wouldn’t hire him to coach pee wee league.

36. emphericalevidence says: Dec 4, 2011 9:56 AM

I agree with Gunther, I think we all have become frustrated and done stupid things. No way I pass judgement on Suh as a man, having been there myself. That isolated incident tells me nothing about the man. I say isolated because most of the ‘dirty’ history has been invented by the media and the league.
    Detroit Lions New Orleans Saints preview

37. thejuddstir says: Dec 4, 2011 10:02 AM

“a Great man”??? talk about screwed up priorities!

38. marshmont says: Dec 4, 2011 10:09 AM

albert hanesworth speaks very well and seems like a great guy with a mic in his face. so does suh. they are connected at the hip.

39. isphet71 says: Dec 4, 2011 10:14 AM

People won’t like this story because their brains can’t process the fact that people aren’t either pure good or pure evil.

40. bcjim says: Dec 4, 2011 10:16 AM

So is Pol Pot.

Signed.
    cambodians.

41. rmc1995 says: Dec 4, 2011 10:22 AM

Wow. I thought it was bad that Suh was being compared him to Haynesworth and Vick but now serial and mass killers? There are some real psychos on this thread who can’t seem to understand the difference between how a person acts on a football field with others who eagerly participate knowing the physical and mental dark place it can be and how a person acts outside of that environment. Perhaps I’m wrong and many of you weak minded lazy sports fans are really good people who act differently when you get out of mom’s basement.

42. righton989 says: Dec 4, 2011 10:49 AM

Cunny’s Car Rental Co. will showcase Ndamnstupid Sueh as its premier driver when you rent one of his cars. You however must supply the ‘roids to keep Psycho in a good mood.

43. larryfinfan says: Dec 4, 2011 11:08 AM

malikpeterson says:
    Dec 4, 2011 7:56 AM
    larryfinfan says:
    Dec 4, 2011 7:43 AM

—————————————————-
    “Well, I can’t defend it,” Cunningham told the Detroit Free Press.
    I am curious to know which parts of your comment and Gunther’s actually “gel”.
    Kinda like…
    “I’m hungry for some type of meat”
    “I don’t desire food of any kind”
    See what I did there?

How about the other 4 or 5 incidents this kid has had ?? Look, the guy can be a great DL, but he’s got a rep and rightfully so. His behavior between the whistles is being promoted by his coaches. To come out and talk about how great a man he is doesn’t make sense when he blatantly disobeys the rules and gets not only himself, but his team into hot water…Great men don’t do that… Think about Reggie White. The coaches need to clamp down on him and it’s obvious that isn’t happening. Cunningham is one of his coaches…

44. flipadelphia says: Dec 4, 2011 11:22 AM

Suh=Great….

compared to…

Rolando McClain
    Johnny Jolly
    Erik Walden
    Mark Chmura
    Michael Vick
    Ben Rothelisberger
    Michael Irvin
    Aquib Talib
    Albert Haynesworth
    Kenny Britt

Folks need to separate the real criminals from someone who made a mistake on the field.

The media and the idiots on here would love for you to believe otherwise.

45. drewsylvania says: Dec 4, 2011 11:34 AM

This site really needs game chatters.

46. drewsylvania says: Dec 4, 2011 11:38 AM

@flipadelphia FWIW, many of those guys were only accused, or were acquitted.

47. eightandeightlions says: Dec 4, 2011 11:47 AM

The Lions cannot defend Suh’s actions just like they can’t defend the run, or any >.500 team.

48. dragonfly99 says: Dec 4, 2011 11:48 AM

Sounds like Suh went from Roid rage to Road rage. Seriously, the NFL and the Lions organization needs to realize this dude needs help.

49. td40 says: Dec 4, 2011 2:12 PM

flipadelphia says: Dec 4, 2011 11:22 AM

The media and the idiots on here would love for you to believe otherwise.
    ————————————————–

“A” mistake? No one would be crucifying this guy if he’d made “a” mistake. Repeated mistakes and an inability to man up to those mistakes changes things a little- don’t you think?

But the Lions fans on here would love for you to believe otherwise.

50. lookatthefarside says: Dec 6, 2011 6:59 AM

And in other news, Suh might get Sued.