Aldon Smith’s classic non-celebration celebration

Aldon Smith, A.J. Feeley AP

Last week, Bob Costas struck a chord with many of you, via his criticism of Bills receiver Stevie Johnson’s touchdown celebration that ultimately cost his team 15 yards of field position.  Though celebrating on-field accomplishments is a good thing (unless celebrating a five-yard catch when down by four touchdowns), celebrations that harm the team cross the line.

With that in mind, we give you the non-celebration celebration of 49ers rookie linebacker Aldon Smith.

After sacking Rams quarterback A.J. Feeley on fourth down in the fourth quarter, Smith sprinted for the sideline.  When he got there, Smith ran past those who wanted to wish him well, he quickly removed his helmet, and he plopped his butt onto the nearest bench.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, St. Louis Rams
38 Responses to “Aldon Smith’s classic non-celebration celebration”
  1. earthtopft says: Dec 5, 2011 4:14 PM

Good stuff. The Tebow Effect.

2. orangeflh says: Dec 5, 2011 4:14 PM

That’s beautiful.

3. hendeeze says: Dec 5, 2011 4:16 PM

The difference of a coach who has control of his team vs ones that dont….

Harbaugh vs Schwartz / Hue Jackson

4. rudwo says: Dec 5, 2011 4:16 PM

Aldon Smith the best

5. fearthewopr says: Dec 5, 2011 4:17 PM

This was awesome.

6. youngry says: Dec 5, 2011 4:20 PM

genius

7. henryjones20 says: Dec 5, 2011 4:24 PM

I’m pretty sure joetoronto will find something wrong about it. Go get him joe

8. sbxxix says: Dec 5, 2011 4:24 PM

That’s what I love about my 9ers this year. They’re all about playing the game the old school way and winning football games. I don’t mind a nice dunk on the horizontal or a nice spike I just hate to see guys doing a dance while they have their linemen waiting to celebrate with them. It’s so selfish. Guys should do a dance with their linemen when they score a touchdown because without those guys they’re nothing. I’m just sayin

9. mondzy805 says: Dec 5, 2011 4:25 PM

Classic. Had another great game. Aldon was a great pick by Trent. Vic coached him up. He has a long way to go, but he’s already good. 49ers Faithful Stand Up.

10. alwaysbeenaniner says: Dec 5, 2011 4:25 PM

this guy is going to be a very good passrusher for us for years to come

11. jayman35 says: Dec 5, 2011 4:27 PM

That was the classiest sack celebration EVER, and another reason why the 49ers defense is ranked the best in the NFL and that Aldon is a top candidate for defensive ROY. Take note DeSean and Stevie!

12. shaggytoodle says: Dec 5, 2011 4:27 PM

He looked like he was having fun, I should fine him. -Roger Goodell

13. sonoco says: Dec 5, 2011 4:30 PM

The back story is that he had two sacks earlier in the game and while celebrating the second sack with another 49er, a third 49er player joined the celebration on the field which was technically excessive celebration. So as to not put his teammates in a position to get another penalty after his third sack, he sprinted off the field . . . pretty funny.

14. Tre says: Dec 5, 2011 4:37 PM

He didn’t even SMILE until 5 seconds after his butt hit the bench. Classy move.

15. fcs34 says: Dec 5, 2011 4:39 PM

Wow. This team is locked in. I hate the niners but this team is for real and they are playing the game the right way. I think the niners D can beat the Pack because they actually believe they can. Harbaugh is coach of the year by far.

16. andyreidisfat says: Dec 5, 2011 4:39 PM

Another reason why harbaugh is coy

17. yorks1cancer says: Dec 5, 2011 4:45 PM

Aldon is a stud master of the pancake.

ROY is the right call

18. mike83ri says: Dec 5, 2011 4:45 PM

What a classless move. This man should be fined.

19. riverhorsey says: Dec 5, 2011 4:46 PM

Not impressed

20. nflofficeadmin says: Dec 5, 2011 4:49 PM

Lot’s of joetoronto bashing today. Cool – I’m sick of the overposting with no value.

21. nineroutsider says: Dec 5, 2011 4:51 PM

Our whole suite was rolling when he did that…it was one of the best “celebrations” I have ever seen.

On a different note…9er fans, don’t do the wave! It is embarrassing and distracting for our offense. They had a false start when the wave was rolling. It was one hell of a wave though, must have made its way around 3 times strong.

22. Nevis says: Dec 5, 2011 4:52 PM

Love this kid. If not for Von Miller, he’d be lightyears ahead in the DROY department.

Still…9.5 sacks as a non-starter? Charles Haley 2.0 anyone?

23. ogre2010 says: Dec 5, 2011 5:00 PM

Why does it have to be a Tebow Effect?

24. discosucs2005 says: Dec 5, 2011 5:02 PM

@sbxxix

“Guys should do a dance with their linemen when they score a touchdown”

Sadly, that would be against the rules. You can’t do group celebrations. A few years ago Josh Morgan and another player did an arm high five in the endzone and got penalized.

25. derekjetersmansion says: Dec 5, 2011 5:06 PM

I’m not saying he should be fined. He shouldn’t be. However, people are talking about it, which is what Smith probably thought would happen.

No one sprints off the field like that.

26. 4evrnyt says: Dec 5, 2011 5:07 PM

The only thing that tops this is the sack where he pushed Goldberg backwards on his ass like a little rag doll. Please stay healthy kid because you are going to be special.

27. tennis22drew says: Dec 5, 2011 5:10 PM

The earlier sack he had where he bull-rushed the left tackle was incredible

28. touchdownroddywhite says: Dec 5, 2011 5:12 PM

“Hey Jim, I wanted to apologize for flipping out on you earlier in the season… Yeah, I know, and I realize it was silly of me. Any way, think we could have a beer some time and you could throw me some pointers on maximizing the return on talent and keeping a team under control, cause I have no idea what I’m doing here, Jim”

This is the conversation Jim Schwartz should be having RIGHT NOW….

29. clevername1 says: Dec 5, 2011 5:27 PM

shaggytoodle says:
    Dec 5, 2011 4:27 PM
    He looked like he was having fun, I should fine him. -Roger Goodell

I could not agree more. Maybe he’ll start a trend and act like it’s you’re job.

30. young2rice says: Dec 5, 2011 5:32 PM

He’s played half the amount of snaps Von Miller has, and is only 1 sack behind him… Who would you rather have? Great draft pick by the Niners coaching staff and front office at #7.

31. zerocool62 says: Dec 5, 2011 5:58 PM

love how all the fair weather niners fans turn out to the ‘Stick and do the wave. people this isnt soccer nor is oakland where the wave belongs. theres enough action on the field finally that we dont need such distractions.

32. mancave001 says: Dec 5, 2011 6:06 PM

I loved that, but I don’t now about “classy.” If anything, he might have been making a statement about getting flagged for celebrations!

33. franknunley57 says: Dec 5, 2011 6:30 PM

Aldon hardly even played in the first 3 games of the season. I agree with @sonoco. I think that after celebrating his previous sack, coach Harbuagh or Fangio had a word with him. What resulted was the classic non-celebration from Aldon. Go 9ers!

34. heckdamonsta says: Dec 5, 2011 6:53 PM

Wrong!!! That penalty happened on dashon goldsons interception And I’m pretty sure it was on Carlos Rodgers. Also he only had 2 sacks not 3 and last but not least the reason he did it was because hes teammates clowned him last week over his sack celebration

35. philtration says: Dec 5, 2011 7:20 PM

I am liking the 49ers more and more.

36. 6ball says: Dec 5, 2011 8:27 PM

Poster child for the effects of too many concussions. Isn’t anyone going to help this man?

37. axespray says: Dec 6, 2011 4:24 AM

lol, better than von miller?
    Von has been the ONLY guy on that denver defense, Aldon has Patrice/Justin/Bowman to hog up on the other parts of the field.

38. kylepsmith says: Dec 6, 2011 4:29 AM

Aldon is a Mizzou guy. Check out this video of the Tigers’ ’07 TD celebrations (well ahead of its time):