Report: NFL close to renewing with all broadcast partners

Money

The current lineup of NFL broadcast partners plans to stay in business with the league for a very long time. And the NFL will be much richer for it.

Daniel Kaplan and John Ourand of SportsBusiness Journal reported Monday morning that the league is closing in on renewing deals with CBS, FOX, and NBC through the 2021 season.

ESPN extended their Monday Night Football deal in September.

The current deals run through 2013.  The extensions would be worth a combined $24 billion (yes, billion) over the next eight years. That makes for a huge across the board rights increase of over 60%.

The report estimates that the league could earn $7 billion-per-season in national media revenue by 2014.  (That includes a Thursday package to be shopped later, plus the ESPN and DirecTV packages.)  To put that in perspective, $7 billion is more than the league’s entire revenue a few years ago.

To put it another way: Television money is NFL money. It pays everyone’s salaries, from the coaches to the players.

While the dollar figures have changed over the years, that business model has stayed pretty consistent and effective for the league since the 1960’s.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
38 Responses to “Report: NFL close to renewing with all broadcast partners”
  1. binkystevens says: Dec 5, 2011 9:16 AM

Great. Now we just need them to let cable companies have rights to Sunday NFL ticket and we’re all set. Who the he’ll likes having satellite anyway?

2. sdelmonte says: Dec 5, 2011 9:25 AM

And thus football will remain the one sport where the vast majority of the games are on free TV. And even when they aren’t, the local markets still get to see the game on local over the air TV.

I suppose eventually ESPN will get playoff games (and even those will likely stream on the Internet if you use the right ISP). But for now, football is the one sport that you can immerse yourself in without a cable bill.

3. dkampling says: Dec 5, 2011 9:27 AM

Slowly but surely… I still prefer Redzone

4. test2402 says: Dec 5, 2011 9:29 AM

Half of all revenue should go to Tim Tebow.

5. KIR says: Dec 5, 2011 9:29 AM

For the life of me. I can’t understand why some of these fans don’t want players like Forte, Chris Johnson and yes DeSean Jackson who are/were top 5 at there position and have been to multiple pro bowls to get paid. These careers are short and they have a talent that can not be easily be replaced. You cannot compare them to yourself. There are millions of people with training who can do your job. Very few theirs. If you beleive in capitalism, that’s supply and demand.

6. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Dec 5, 2011 9:30 AM

binkystevens says: Dec 5, 2011 9:16 AM

—————————————————–

You can actually buy Sunday ticket on PS3 now.

7. MTLighthouse69 says: Dec 5, 2011 9:32 AM

If they are going to be making that kind of money, the owners ought to be able to fully fund the entire amount for the building of all of their NFL stadiums.

8. zaggs says: Dec 5, 2011 9:33 AM

Just please for anything holy change the NFL Sunday ticket package to actual cable companies.

9. mvpolamalu says: Dec 5, 2011 9:41 AM

Redzone and sunday ticket on cable would be heaven

10. norcal031 says: Dec 5, 2011 9:41 AM

And how much will they earn from illegal websites where I and many others go to watch redzone and any game not in my market?…….$0!

11. threedeep1998 says: Dec 5, 2011 9:45 AM

Put Gus Johnson on the air!

12. all4patriots says: Dec 5, 2011 9:51 AM

“Half of all revenue should go to Tim Tebow”

No, just a 10th.

The Lord only asks for a 10th.

(dodges lightning bolt and Santa Anna winds)

13. nfloracle says: Dec 5, 2011 10:05 AM

Great, now the owners can cut stadium tickets prices to $10 each with a free order of nachos and a cold beer as a “thank you” to all us fans who have been paying through the nose for the past 25 years to see a game live.

14. thingamajig says: Dec 5, 2011 10:07 AM

So with all the TV money coming in does that mean they will lower tickets to the game?

15. mondzy805 says: Dec 5, 2011 10:10 AM

Great for the League. I don’t want to Ever hear, Lockout in the National Football League again, with all this Money coming in.

16. blakebuchanan87 says: Dec 5, 2011 10:13 AM

Great, you are making enough money. If TV money IS NFL money, then do away with this archaic blackout policy and quit punishing fans that cannot afford to buy tickets. Especially if you are residing in a publicly-funded stadium.

17. rubbernilly says: Dec 5, 2011 10:14 AM

The studio work could be a whole lot better. Dan Patrick holds his own, and Peter King could talk about field turf and I’d be interested, but Dungy and a certain personality from this site flatten the whole production. Click on my name to read what doesn’t make it on this site.

18. edgarpoe2 says: Dec 5, 2011 10:39 AM

The NFL Ticket is already too expensive. With the new agreement, will we see $500+ for a package we used to pre-order for $79?

19. jcusa514 says: Dec 5, 2011 10:45 AM

great…..10 more years of frank caliando and Cletus the robot on fox….just great

20. drbob117 says: Dec 5, 2011 10:49 AM

I guess that means we can go another 8 years or so without hearing all the henny pennys tell us that every sporting event will be on cable, and we’ll never see another sporting event on free TV again. As long as they can sell beer and cars during the timeouts, there will always be sports on OTA TV.

21. dontouchmyjunk says: Dec 5, 2011 11:16 AM

If anyone read the linked story, the broadcast partners are pushing to allow the games to be streamed on tablets. But it hasn’t been worked out yet. Verizon has exclusivity on streaming NFL games on cellular networks, and will have exclusivity for the next four years.

Also, when you stream Sunday Ticket on PS3’s, you are still getting the package from DirecTV. And you can only stream on the PS3 if you live at an address that cannot get DirecTV directly.

There are very few places in the US where you cannot get DirecTV. Some inner city locations where the view is blocked, or if you live in a certified Historic Building.

Condo owners, apartment dwellers, and those who live under the rules of Homeowner Associations cannot be denied satellite service unless for safety or historic preservation. Certified historic preservation.

So, if you don’t have DirecTV, you can get it in almost every case. If you’re mounting a personal protest against DirecTV, I have little sympathy. The cost is no different than cable.

22. xtb3 says: Dec 5, 2011 11:25 AM

Question?

Why was FOX televising yesterday’s Denver at Minnesota game? First time I have noticed FOX or CBS televise the game if the road team was from the “other” conference?

23. bigfatnugs says: Dec 5, 2011 11:34 AM

I cannot afford to believe in 8 dollar beers at a football game, when the NFL is making bookoo dinero. Every time I go to a game I end up spending more money of beer and food than I do the ticket, which is pretty absurd.

24. steelernfl says: Dec 5, 2011 11:44 AM

With all that money, “MAYBE THE NFL WILL TRAIN AND USE PROFESSIONAL OFFICIALS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

25. hailvictory44 says: Dec 5, 2011 11:58 AM

I’ll be happy when the NFL strips DirecTV of their monopoly. Offer fans who are out of market alternatives (cheaper ones) to view their team’s game each Sunday…PLEASE!

26. anonymouslyanonymouscommentor says: Dec 5, 2011 12:07 PM

You know, there’s an awful lot of complaints here, but you know you guys could stop complaining and actually do something about it.

NFL Sunday ticket too expensive? Don’t buy it for a year or two, and tell your friends not to either. The price is only that high because they still think you’ll buy it. Email norcal031 for a link to watch the games online.

Beer is too expensive? Stay sober for a game. Bring a flask. Again, the price is only that high because they think you will buy it still.

The NFL is too greedy? You guys all told them they could get away with it during and after the lockout.

27. trollhammer20 says: Dec 5, 2011 12:08 PM

Can the league dump DirecTV already? I wouldn’t mind paying for Sunday Ticket through another source – watching over the internet leaps to mind – but I refuse to give a dime to DirecThieVes. Fulfilling a two-year contract will run well over $2000, most of which goes for crap I have no interest in watching. Plus, every time it rains or the wind is over 30 mph, the pic digitizes so badly, it’s like watching a video game from 1989.

I can understand why DTV needs the NFL, because without it, they’d lose a few million subscribers and probably go out of business, but the NFL does not need DirecTV.

To the guy who said you can get Sunday Ticket through your Playstation 3, first of all, you must own a PS3, which I don’t. Second, it’s only if you can prove your address cannot get DirecTV (college dorm, north-facing apartment, etc.).

28. djacksonisapunk says: Dec 5, 2011 12:10 PM

Donttouchmyjunk- Good post man.

I think D-TV is a joke. Snow, rain, light breeze, small bird pooping on the dish. Any one of those and your SOL. And it never happens during halftime.

I connect my Verizon smart phone to the TV with an hdmi cable, connect to wifi and stream red zone that way. its 1080i usually. Still wish I had the Sunday ticket, but I will never get a dish again.

29. hailvictory44 says: Dec 5, 2011 12:15 PM

Question?

————————————————–
    Had to do with the fact that FOX didn’t have enough early games to broadcast compared to CBS, so the league took the Den/Min game and moved it to FOX

30. steelerchicken says: Dec 5, 2011 12:18 PM

No one is forcing you to buy a ticket to the game! If you chose to go to the game where does it say you need to eat or drink?

It is called supply and demand business 101. They are providing us a product to escape life. Plus, we can watch the game at home or a local bat

31. drbob117 says: Dec 5, 2011 12:29 PM

@xtb3: When the Lions/ Saints game was shifted to Sunday night and the Colts/ Pats back to 1 PM, that left something like 7 1 PM CBS games and only 2 FOX, so the league took the unusual step of changing the usual ‘AFC road games are on CBS’, and ‘ NFC road games are on FOX’ policy and made the change in this singular case.

32. acieu says: Dec 5, 2011 12:43 PM

All the cable companies have to do is outbid Directv so have at it.

33. skinsmania0n16 says: Dec 5, 2011 12:44 PM

Be creative have all NFC games be on CBS and AFC games on fox

Just hope One day NBA plays on CBS and FOX I’ve gotten bored with some stations every year

34. august589 says: Dec 5, 2011 12:51 PM

Question?

—————————————————-

The NFL flex-scheduled the Pats/Colts game out of the Sunday Night NBC slot and put the Saints/Lions game there. That gave CBS an extra game and subtracted a game from FOX. To make it equal, the NFL moved the Broncos/Vikings game to FOX. Why they chose that one, I don’t know…

35. dontouchmyjunk says: Dec 5, 2011 12:57 PM

For those of you complaining about the price of beer and food at the games, I have no sympathy. If a person can’t go for 3 or 4 hours without eating, or drinking a beer, you have more problems than the cost of buying those items at the stadium. Can’t understand that kind of lack of personal discipline unless you’re an alcoholic or a 300 pound whale. Get help.

36. 4ever19 says: Dec 5, 2011 1:20 PM

I feel my wallet being sucked into the black hole that is the NFL’s insatiable demand for revenue. Remember when college bowl games were on free TV. Then at least the New Year’s Day games were. Now, there is one New Year’s Day bowl and one New Year’s Eve bowl on over-the-air TV. All the rest are on cable. All the other bowls except maybe one of the BCS games during the week after New Year’s – ditto. I have seen the future, it is painted NFL green and I don’t like it.

37. pigskin28 says: Dec 5, 2011 6:51 PM

I’ve had Directv for years. Had issues with picture less than 10 times. We get ice, snow, rain wind evrrything.

Don’t understand the push for Cable to have The Ticket over Directv. If Cable valued your tv viewing needs they’d have gotten it already. Out of greed they chose to low bid the NFL for their product.
    A startup company was able to foresee my love for Football and bet their bussiness plan on it while Cable felt they can get away with junk and putting everything I want to see on some tier. And schmucks wanna fight for them?

They could have slowed Directv just by outbidding them but they tried to underhand the Nfl.
    Cable is a medium. They act like they are the product.Get out the way and give me what I want. Look how long it took them to add Nfl Network.

38. howley1 says: Dec 5, 2011 7:18 PM

———————————————————–

The only time I lose signal is if thick thunderstorms are to the south of me, and the outage lasts as long as it takes for the clouds to mov out of the way. In 6 years of DirecTV, I’ve lost signal maybe a half dozen times for a few minutes each time. I’ve lost more signal with Time Warner in just one day.