Wilf says Frazier “will definitely be back next year”

Zygi WIlf, Leslie Frazier AP

Does the Minnesota Vikings’ 2-10 record mean head coach Leslie Frazier’s job is in jeopardy?

Not according to Vikings owner Zygi Wilf, who insisted after the Vikings’ 35-32 loss to the Denver Broncos that there’s no way he’s going to fire Frazier.

Leslie will definitely be back next year,” Wilf told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

Plenty of owners have given their coaches a vote of confidence only to later change their minds, so that statement doesn’t mean Frazier is 100 percent in the clear. But it sounds like Wilf thinks that for all the problems his franchise has right now, the head coach is not one of them — Wilf has 99 problems but a coach ain’t one.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
27 Responses to “Wilf says Frazier “will definitely be back next year””
  1. cameran0804 says: Dec 5, 2011 8:47 AM

WOW that sucks, because this guy couldn’t coach my sons pee wee football team!

2. ravensos says: Dec 5, 2011 8:49 AM

yea and the vikings will “definitely” stay in Minnesota. sure ziggy…

3. goblue714 says: Dec 5, 2011 8:49 AM

Good for a minute there I thought the vikings wanted to compete next season.

4. 6kings says: Dec 5, 2011 8:53 AM

I hope he keeps Frazier. Chilly left him with a mess to clean up.

5. 4t9er says: Dec 5, 2011 8:59 AM

Maybe in another role.

6. primevikingsguy says: Dec 5, 2011 9:02 AM

This guy is in way over his head, just look at his coaching record when he was a head coach at Trinity College, he coached there for 9 years and only won the conference twice, this doesn’t sound like someone who should be the coach of an NFL team.

7. shawon0meter says: Dec 5, 2011 9:07 AM

Zygi is still going to be paying Brad Childress next season and if he fires Frazier, he would be paying him next season too. I think he just wants to avoid paying 3 head coaches next season since that’s not the only problem.

8. glac1 says: Dec 5, 2011 9:39 AM

on behalf of the NFC North…. THANK YOU!

9. threedeep1998 says: Dec 5, 2011 9:39 AM

Wilf doesn’t want to pay 2 fired coaches and a working head coach. Musgrave and Pugac though…yeah they could go at anytime

10. davikes says: Dec 5, 2011 9:42 AM

I think Frazier should stay, but I’m not so sure about the OC or DC, and he hired them. The Vikes have a lot of problems you can’t pin on Frazier. Pretty much the entire defensive backfield at the beginning of the season has either been hurt or arrested. They are playing a receiver who was on the practice squad (Burton) They have waived 3 starters (McKinley, McNabb, Berrian) I’ve never seen that before. So they’ve lost 9-10 starters from last year. On the plus side, Ponder is off to a decent start, and the last rookie QB we had that looked good was Culpepper almost 10 years ago.

11. govtminion says: Dec 5, 2011 9:55 AM

“Leslie will definitely be back next year.”

…where will that be, exactly?

12. fwippel says: Dec 5, 2011 9:58 AM

I think Frazier deserves another year. It’s not like the team is getting blown out every week. They’ve lost close games for most of the season. It’d be nice to see them get over the hump, and my guess is, they’ll do it as soon as next week in Detroit.

The biggest need this team has is better players, especially in the secondary, OL and WR.

I do think the play-calling (Musgrave) needs to be looked at, but I don’t expect a whole lot from a team missing it’s best player and it’s top three cornerbacks, along with all the other sub-par talent at key spots.

13. manureman says: Dec 5, 2011 10:00 AM

BLOW IT UP!!!!

14. cameran0804 says: Dec 5, 2011 10:29 AM

@6kings childress made a mess with moss thing but other than that he did a great job bring guys in the draft & trades. (adrian peterson steve hutchinson, jared allen,percy harvin, chad greenway) Fraizer sucks & worse he didn’t even bring in his own coaching staff besides a few guys, over 1/2 the coaching staff there childress brought in. I mean this bum makes fred pagac the defensive coordinator when this guy has never been a coordinator on ANY level!! What a JOKE!!

15. pigskinswag says: Dec 5, 2011 10:49 AM

I don’t have a problem with Frazier returning next year. This gives him an entire offseason/training camp with QB of the future Christian Ponder and gives them a chance to address some serious needs in FA/Draft. They’re not winning, but they’re competing. Give him time, because Childress left him with a lot of low cards in that hand.

16. vikesfan67 says: Dec 5, 2011 10:49 AM

Wilf’s they got great football minds!!! What a joke

17. minnyjoe says: Dec 5, 2011 11:02 AM

Knew it was going to be tough because of no off season. They are at least in most of the games.

It is not like he hired an offensive line coach to be the D coordinater!!

18. mooseknuckle says: Dec 5, 2011 11:47 AM

Fire everyone in the front office except Bryzenski. The talent people have no talent.

19. glenne81 says: Dec 5, 2011 12:17 PM

ziggy! i need a job. clearly you dont ask much from your employees and im am certain i can coach defense better than the guys you got at half the pay! please hire me!!!!

20. dragonfly99 says: Dec 5, 2011 12:32 PM

Great news for NFC North teams!

21. mrpilsner says: Dec 5, 2011 1:03 PM

Wilf has 99 problems but a coach ain’t one.

22. axespray says: Dec 5, 2011 1:57 PM

Leslie is a good coach, from what I’ve read. He listens to his players, great people skills, etc.

it’s just that aside from Peterson and Jared, his team sucks.

23. dtrb10 says: Dec 5, 2011 3:08 PM

well than expect another year like this. What has he done to make anyone think he is capable of coaching an NFL football team???

Hopefully the only reason why is that he don’t want to pay him and Childress salaries when they are not here.

If he really thinks he is a good coach than I truly beleive that he is trying to get the team out of MN.

Frustrated Viking fan ( but you know what I always will be ) No bangwagon here. Wish I could say that about alot of other residents of MN.

24. favreblows says: Dec 5, 2011 3:44 PM

The Vikes need to not only trade AP…..they need to get rid of Frazier too. Blow this thing up is right.

25. pack13queens0 says: Dec 5, 2011 10:14 PM

So Leslie Frazier will be the 1st ever head coach of the Los Angeles Vikings.

26. calvikefan1 says: Dec 5, 2011 10:34 PM

That’s too bad , as I was hoping they would win at least five games next year.

27. ridle9 says: Dec 6, 2011 12:48 PM

Really unfortunate. I like Frazier, I am sure he is a nice guy. But I think he is in waaaayyy over his head. Man it is hard to be a Minnesota Vikings fan.