Bucs aware of Blount incident, lawyer says it’s “money grab”

Tampa Bay Buccaneers' LeGarrette Blount celebrates his touchdown against the Green Bay Packers in the first half during their NFL football game in Green Bay, Wisconsin Reuters

The last thing the Bucs needed this week was another off-field distraction.

They got one following the release of a police report in which a victim accuses LeGarrette Blount of orchestrating an assault.

The Bucs say they were aware of what happened in September.

LeGarrette Blount immediately informed the organization of this situation back in September. We have reviewed the incident report and spoken with the police. The Tampa Police Department confirmed that the case is closed,” Buccaneers Director of Communications Jonathan Grella said in a statement to PFT.

Blount’s attorney Ryan Morgan tells Stephen Holder of the St. Petersburg Times that Blount didn’t do anything. Morgan says that when the victim found out who Blount was, he called the Bucs asking for $95,000 or the matter would go public.

They didn’t pay, and the story surfaced Tuesday.

“I spoke to LeGarrette and we rejected it outright because he didn’t do anything wrong,” Morgan said. “We’re not going to pay someone who is just making a money grab. If there’s a claim he needs to address – and I’m not saying that there is – I suggest he do so with the other guys involved.”

Those interested in all the details should check out the Times’ entire breakdown.

It’s hard to know the whole truth here, but we know this much: The police are no longer pursuing the matter because the victim doesn’t want to press charges. The Bucs don’t sound likely to discipline Blount.

Absent another development, Blount doesn’t sound likely to face any lasting punishment stemming from the issue.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
18 Responses to “Bucs aware of Blount incident, lawyer says it’s “money grab””
  1. sbxxix says: Dec 6, 2011 6:34 PM

PFT should have reply buttons on people’s comments so we can tell them how stupid they are or how much we agree with what they have to say. I don’t like having to copy and paste someone’s name to call them out on something. I know a lot of you have thought of this. Just sayin

2. youngry says: Dec 6, 2011 6:34 PM

Why not mention the victim has a history of DUI and police found empty beer cans in his truck and Blount thought he was drunk? A drunk driver involved in a hit-and-run has no credibility. I don’t blame the passengers in the car with Blount for beating the guy up when a 7 year old kid was in the car.

3. tjacks7 says: Dec 6, 2011 6:35 PM

——————————————-

I thought this guy that was attacked was a Bucs fan? Some fan who can’t even recognize their teams starting RB when he first sees him. Pretty sure I’d notice if Adrian Peterson was standing there while I got my face beat in.

4. h4wksf4n says: Dec 6, 2011 6:43 PM

In other words some one got paid and it’s gone away.

5. garyman1 says: Dec 6, 2011 6:55 PM

This is progress for LeGarrette….
    He’s now only orchestrating punching instead of doing it himself like he did in college.

6. tfbuckfutter says: Dec 6, 2011 6:55 PM

sbxxix says: Dec 6, 2011 6:34 PM

————————————-

They should actually have a Report button so they don’t have to manually inspect every single post before posting and can actually eliminate LEGITIMATELY offensive posts as opposed to ones the mods just dislike…..

I don’t know of any other site that even does their comments this way. It’s got to be some sort of OCD.

7. ronswansonsdinner says: Dec 6, 2011 6:56 PM

What a terrible 6 weeks it’s been for my Bucs. There has been no positive news about the team, unless you want to count Raheem being on the hot seat.

8. pcsheward says: Dec 6, 2011 6:57 PM

The dude doesn’t want to press charges because he’s (surprisingly) smart enough to know that once the prosecutor figured out he’s lying, he’d be subject to some sort of false informing charge. He gambled on the Bucs paying him, he lost, and he’s cutting his losses.

9. emma333 says: Dec 6, 2011 7:15 PM

I really LIKE the idea of a reply button…
    I really DISLIKE how many of my well thought out posts (not offensive, racist, obscene…..) are deleted

10. wegohardinthepaint says: Dec 6, 2011 7:36 PM

The problem is infact, Blount may have some serious issues. It happened at Oregon also. He showed enormous flashes of greatness, but his temper got to him, and he is very lucky he even got a chance in the NFL. As shown by the Johnny Jolly case, Roger Goodell feels no sympathy to players, and hands out punishments like candy.

11. dgrowe213 says: Dec 6, 2011 9:25 PM

Hardballtalk has a reply button. Makes my life easier.

12. asublimeday says: Dec 6, 2011 10:08 PM

In conclusion, blout was there and is still a turd.

I’m never around situations where people are having their property and their health beaten up on. Maybe I’m just lucky?

Nope.

13. trapshoot says: Dec 6, 2011 10:25 PM

Probably gonna cause him a big problem.

14. spartaninnh says: Dec 6, 2011 10:40 PM

I find several things interesting:

1) The lag between when the event supposedly took place (9/11) and when it hits the press (12/6), an unbelievably long time in the Twitterverse we live in.

2) After suffering what he felt were serious injuries, the victim went to his apartment and hid. Didn’t call the police to report the attack, didn’t call for an ambulance to get treatment for his serious injuries.

3) After deciding not to hide in his apartment any more, the victim called someone for help — a taxi cab company, to come pick him up and take him to his girlfriend’s apartment. Not to the hospital, his girlfriend’s apartment.

4) According to the Times the police report indicates the victim didn’t desire to press charges, due to fear of retaliation by Blount and the other two guys (per the original version of the Times post — it’s now been amended). The police apparently didn’t listen, because they went to Blount to get his side of the story. He gave his side of the car wreck story, declined to discuss any assault. So — did the police not investigate at the victim’s request, or did they investigate and decide there wasn’t enough to warrant an arrest? (No pun intended.)

5) Sure sounds like the victim isn’t afraid of Blount or his buddies any more, now that he has a lawyer demanding a shakedown settlement, and a real estate reporter on speed dial to punish Blount with adverse publicity if he doesn’t cave.

6) The original version of the post in the Times included the amount of money Blount is making this year. (FWIW, the demand by the victim (for $95K to shut up and go home — again) is roughly 25% of Blount’s pre-tax, pre-agent income.) For some reason, the real estate reporter who wrote the original post felt that was a detail important enough to note.

This stinks to high heaven. I’m no fan of the Bucs or Blount, but I hope that the “victim” doesn’t get a dollar without convincing a jury he deserves it.

…..And no, I don’t think that will happen.

15. bkostela says: Dec 7, 2011 12:11 AM

why does lagarrette live in an apartment complex? isn’t he in the nfl?

16. drgreenstreak says: Dec 7, 2011 3:10 AM

I tend to believe my boy LB cause he would just do the assault himself, if necessary. He has priors.

He learned his manners from N Suh who’s from Portland and is learning how to drive with hoes in the back.

17. nflofficeadmin says: Dec 7, 2011 8:25 AM

What’s the big deal? Let’s chill and smoke a blount…

18. salmen76 says: Dec 7, 2011 9:29 AM

Blount didn’t do anything wrong. I read the whole report and to me its a simple open and shut case. If someone cliped the mirror on my #88 Chevy and drove off i would want to chase them down and punch them in the face too. Cops ain’t responsible for everything. The constitution gives every american citizen the right to defend themselves and their property! I commend law Enforcement for letting this one work its way out. If i was the officer on the scene i would have done the same thing they did. As soon as the officers were told that the victim hit their car and drove off that was it. Basically, the victim had it coming. Geaux Saints!