Coughlin “sick to my stomach” over TD ruled incomplete

Tom Coughlin AP

Giants coach Tom Coughlin feels ill about a challenge he lost in Sunday’s 38-35 loss to the Packers, because he still believes that tight end Jake Ballard possessed the ball and got his knee down inbounds in the end zone, which would have made it a touchdown.

In fact, Coughlin said he was shown indisputable evidence of Ballard having the ball, a still image from the TV broadcast that clearly shows the ball in Ballard’s hands with his knee down in the end zone.

I just saw a picture which made me sick to my stomach, which FOX produced and showed, that he’s in,” Coughlin said. “Don’t ask me about that because I really don’t know why, but I did see the picture.”

Mike Pereira, the former NFL V.P. of officiating who now analyzes the rules for FOX, said during the replay review that Coughlin should win the challenge, because Ballard was inbounds. But referee Jeff Triplette let the play stand as called, an incomplete pass.

The Giants ended up with a field goal on the possession. Obviously, considering that they ended up losing by three points, four more points there would have been huge.

Coughlin lost two challenges against the Packers, and he acknowledged he made a mistake in throwing his challenge flag on a catch by Green Bay’s Donald Driver.

“I really shouldn’t have challenged,” Coughlin said. “I really didn’t get a great call from upstairs.”

But on the other challenge, Coughlin stands by his decision to throw the flag. And he still believes it was a blown call by Triplette.

Permalink 163 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
163 Responses to “Coughlin “sick to my stomach” over TD ruled incomplete”
  1. seneca1ss says: Dec 6, 2011 7:36 AM

Ref’s, Rules, League…getting worse, not better

Goodell STINKS

2. dionoil says: Dec 6, 2011 7:37 AM

One knee equals two feet

3. voiceofrealism says: Dec 6, 2011 7:41 AM

Trying to blame the loss on one play that did not have indisputable proof is the sign of a loser coach. A winner coach would say his team shouldn’t have been in a position where one play made the difference. If the Giants wanted to win, they could have taken more time off the clock at the end, or better yet, play better defense to stop GB from easily going down the field and kicking the winning FG.

4. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Dec 6, 2011 7:45 AM

when it happened i said to my son, if the g-men lose by four points or less, i’m going to be bitter.
    it was clear on the ‘zoomed in’ slo-mo replay that his knee was down-in bounds. surely the refs have access to the same camera angles the the tv audience does do they not?

5. jdreed68 says: Dec 6, 2011 7:45 AM

Oh come on, Get over yourself.
    #1….It was Waaay to close to call on the field. Keeping it as called was the best call
    B…..I have seen so many games where the Giants seemed blessed by the officiating Gods so Even if it were a “Bad Call” you deserve it.
    #3….What Quarter was that in again? The First? Oh yeah so there was plenty of more football to play and who says that the packers wouldn’t have played harder to compensate for more points.
    I can understand getting “Sick” if it were the last play of the game…but this?? Come on! Get over it baby!

6. mistakeonthelake says: Dec 6, 2011 7:46 AM

How many times does Triplette need to fail in his job before he gets the boot?

7. badtimeoutcaldwell says: Dec 6, 2011 7:48 AM

Why was Jennings catch ruled a TD? If the ball got knocked out by a defender at the end of the catch then its still a TD… But if he woulda tripped at the same moment instead and fallen to the ground and the ball pops loose, then it woulda been incomplete (Calvin Johnson rule)??

These things make little common sense

8. eaglesw00t says: Dec 6, 2011 7:48 AM

Can they please stop asking Mike Pereira anything? He USED to work for the NFL. He is incorrect so many times that it is ridiculous.

9. bullcharger says: Dec 6, 2011 7:51 AM

Triplette is the worse ref in the league by a large margin.

I don’t get why he is still around. Although he did it by accident, he did end Orlando Brown’s career when he hit him in the eye with a flag.

He has made boneheaded call after boneheaded call.

He needs to be fired.

10. rrbernier says: Dec 6, 2011 7:55 AM

Why is it people only remember the call that went against them. How many illeagal contacts downfield did the Giants get away with in that game that ended drives by the Packers.

11. johngaltwho says: Dec 6, 2011 7:56 AM

What a joke. The Giants are shopping around a photo of the knee hovering on blades of grass and not yet out of bounds. It was clear that when the knee was fully down it was out of bounds. If that photo makes him sick to his stomach, I have a 58 second video that should make him feel much better.

12. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 6, 2011 7:56 AM

Refs cheated all game. I’m over it, though.

13. vincentbojackson says: Dec 6, 2011 7:59 AM

Forget the Ballard play, the Donald Driver call was far worse! I don’t have a dog in the fight, but he clearly juggled that ball until he dropped it in the back of the endzone. Then the refs still upheld the call! I shook my head and quit watching at that point.

I used to know what a TD looked like, but these days common sense doesn’t apply.

14. nfl fan says: Dec 6, 2011 7:59 AM

12-0…with an *

15. ny82jy says: Dec 6, 2011 8:00 AM

the greg jennings td was one of the worst calls ive ever seen as a football fan. The reviewed it for like 10 min and they still got it wrong. He never had possesion its clear as day. If i was a Giants fan thats what would be killing me. I didnt think the Ballard catch was a td.

16. murphintampa says: Dec 6, 2011 8:00 AM

Dionoil, that’s the question I wanted answered during the game, and Fox wouldn’t let Pereira talk. Is one foot and one knee from the same leg the same thing as two feet? If it is, then this was an easy call – TD Giants.

17. rexryansdirtysock says: Dec 6, 2011 8:01 AM

I thought the Greg Jennings touchdown was also an incomplete.

Jennings never really secured the ball and never made a football move indicating he had possession. In addition, even if he did secure the ball for a split second, I don’t think he had two feet inbounds for that part of the catch.

But let me get this straight: Had Jennings fallen to the ground after the ball was jarred loose, it would be an incomplete?

18. rpiotr01 says: Dec 6, 2011 8:04 AM

Re: the Ballard call, the refs got it right. Im sorry, but his knee was on the line. It really really sucks when something like that happens, but the call was right. If anything blame Ballard for not dragging his foot like you’re supposed to.

Re: the Jennings fingertip TD, Kyle Rudolph of the Vikings was awarded a TD on the exact same play earlier in the day. I don’t mind the call, but they need to call that consistently in all games.

19. dwinsgames says: Dec 6, 2011 8:05 AM

The Ballard one was hard to see on the replay; if the ref had that photo it would have helped but nobody saw that at the time so hard to kill him. But I watched the Jennings catch frame by frame and NO WAY does he ever get possession. You can even see his top hand coming off the ball before it gets slapped out. With all the catches that looked like catches being ruled incomplete this year, how the heck does that one get ruled a catch???

20. stini777 says: Dec 6, 2011 8:08 AM

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

21. baldingerspinky says: Dec 6, 2011 8:09 AM

First off WHAAAAAA WHAAAAA WHAAAA.

second off if every coached who played the giants complained about the officials missing calls against the giants we’d hear about it after every game. I’ve never seen so many holding penalties not be called. They’ve gotten away withmore non calls than bad calls that hurt them.

22. moochzilla says: Dec 6, 2011 8:10 AM

In addition to blinding a league employee, Orlando Brown, Triplette also tackled Joe Horn on a wide open 80 yard TD because he wasn’t paying attention.

I will never forget it. Joe Horn, open by 25 yards, and then he runs right into that dope.

Wasn’t fired for that, won’t be fired for the Jennings call (clearly a Calvin Johnson rule non-TD) and this one.

Biggest game of the year, and this clown got it.

23. revoltworkout says: Dec 6, 2011 8:10 AM

The giants had plenty of opportunities to close that game, like making a stop when the packers had the ball on thier own 20 with only :58 left in the game… blaming it a 1st quarter play is silly.

24. greymares says: Dec 6, 2011 8:10 AM

to quote many other posts about another N.F.C. team KARMA BABY!!!!!

25. Amadeus says: Dec 6, 2011 8:10 AM

Giants got beat by a far superior team on an off night. Stop whining and prepare your team better, Tom.

26. eric12401 says: Dec 6, 2011 8:12 AM

As a Giants fan, I feel like the referees played a big part in them losing, but if Eli didn’t throw that pick-6, if the defense didn’t turn into swiss cheese for the last 58 seconds, we wouldn’t even be talking about this. The game is over, the refs blew the call and there’s nothing they can do about it. Quit whining and get ready for perhaps the most important game of the year on Sunday night.

27. intedwetrust says: Dec 6, 2011 8:14 AM

The thing is that both calls that went to replay would have needed to be overturned. The Ballard catch was ruled an incompletion and there wasn’t indisputable evidence his knee wasn’t on the line when he caught it so they couldn’t overturn it. On the Jennings play he held the ball in his left hand before it was slapped out and again they didn’t have enough evidence to overturn it.

Every team gets hit by bad calls, I remember games where the league offices actually sent an apology letter to the Pack after blowing calls that cost them games. It sucks, but it’s time to move on and concentrate on beating the Cowgirls and winning your division.

28. bigbluefan1 says: Dec 6, 2011 8:15 AM

As I Giants fan I am happy TC is upset
    He got his team ready to play the champs and play they did and very well.

That game was the best game the Giants played all year and they got SCREWED and not just on that play it was if the NFL had said do not let the Giants win.

Its good to see the coach take it to heart he cares not just about his job but about the effort his players put into the game.

Eli was on the money all day with one bad toss just like Rodgers
    I get tried of hearing how Rodgers is the best there ever was what happened to Brady and Patton and Drew and yes Eli

29. b921 says: Dec 6, 2011 8:15 AM

Secondly this is just one play early in the game, you can’t just add 4 points to the Giants final score if you think that was a catch. This would have changed the complexion of the game. Maybe the Giants got away with a penalty earlier in this drive, maybe they got a generous spot. The only time complaining about a call like this is relevant is when it’s on the last play of the game.

30. blackqbwhiterb says: Dec 6, 2011 8:15 AM

Ever notice how the officials pick and choose when the replay review can only last 90 seconds, and when they take several minutes? With no obvious consistency, they pick and choose when that rule gets enforced…..

31. stini777 says: Dec 6, 2011 8:16 AM

JDReed is right in the money. You simply can’t assume that if that call gets reversed the rest of the game plays out the way it did.

32. schmokes says: Dec 6, 2011 8:18 AM

rexryansdirtysock says:
    Dec 6, 2011 8:01 AM
    I thought the Greg Jennings touchdown was also an incomplete.

——————————————————–

The whole “make a football move” is only required in the field of play. He was in the endzone, 2 feet down with possession, dead ball. You don’t have to cradle the ball like a baby to prove possession either, it wasn’t moving in his left hand.

Losers complain about the refs.

33. pixelito says: Dec 6, 2011 8:18 AM

I thought I saw an official tackle Ahmad Bradshaw on one play.

34. wingz101 says: Dec 6, 2011 8:19 AM

This was a poorly reffed game. Not a Giants fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I also thought the GB o-linemen get away with an awful lot shirt grabbing and wrapping hands around the waist against DT’s none of that got called at all. Neither did they get any such calls on Thanks Giving. I realize that at some point that will even out, but some of those, especially when Rodgers scrambles seemed pretty hard to miss.

35. schmokes says: Dec 6, 2011 8:19 AM

moochzilla says:
    Dec 6, 2011 8:10 AM

Biggest game of the year, and this clown got it.

———————————————————

Calvin Johnson rule only comes into play when a player goes to the ground…Jennings wasn’t going to the ground…Don’t let facts get in your way of complaining about the refs or anything.

36. naeem42 says: Dec 6, 2011 8:21 AM

jdreed68 says:
    Dec 6, 2011 7:45 AM
    Oh come on, Get over yourself.
    __________________________________

You can’t go #1, then B, then #3.

I didn’t have a big problem with the Ballard call. It looked real close and it was probable that the call on the field would be upheld either way.

The Jennings call, was one of the worst I’ve ever seen. There was nothing at all the indicated a reception on the play. Are the refs trying to say that if the same play happened at the 15 rather than the endzone they would have ruled it a catch and fumble? There’s no way.

Also annoyed me that after giving long explanations all game on why calls were being ruled the way they were, the ref comes out on the most controversial call of the game and says simply, “The ruling on the field stands”. That’s it. No explanation on what he saw to make it so.

37. packattack1967 says: Dec 6, 2011 8:22 AM

A teams sign of the apocalypse? The Head Coach whining about refs calls.

38. mavajo says: Dec 6, 2011 8:23 AM

I don’t really see how anyone can say Ballard was “clearly” down inbounds. If you wanna say he was, fine; I completely disagree with you. But I don’t think you can say it was “clear” either way. Extremely tight call.

Whatever they ruled on the field was gonna stand. Had they ruled a TD, I think it would have stood too. Unfortunately for the Giants, they ruled incomplete — and it stood.

Also, I’m not sure how Jennings didn’t have possession on his TD. He pulls the ball away from his body with one hand. I don’t think he could have done that if he were juggling it. People need to understand that the rules in the end zone are different than the rest of the field. The moment you have possession in the end zone, even if it’s only for a moment, the play is immediately dead and it’s a touchdown. But again, that was a close call, and probably would have stood however it was called. If it had been ruled incomplete, it probably would have stood as incomplete. Unfortunately for the Giants, it was ruled a touchdown.

But let’s not act like this affair was all one sided. The Giants’ defenders got away with illegal contact on a number of third down plays, and they got away with a fake fair catch call on their last return. I don’t doubt the fair catch motion was accidental, but that doesn’t matter by NFL rules — the motion was made, and it should have been ruled a fair catch.

Every team in the league gets blessed by the whistle and cursed by the whistle. It’s just the way things work. Don’t act like your team is some unique victim. That’s just pathetic.

39. deadmanwalking47 says: Dec 6, 2011 8:26 AM

i’m sick of hearing whining giants fans saying they have been cheated by the refs! giants fans are good for whining and moaning,and that’s about it! maybe when the players and fans can start acting like grown ups when they lose they’ll get some respect around the league,until then,stop whining!

40. aaronitout says: Dec 6, 2011 8:27 AM

If there is conclusive (as in not debatable) evidence that supports the call on the field then the call stands. If the the evidence is conclusive and does not support the call on the field then the call is overturned. If the replay is not conclusive then the call on the field stands.

It was obvious to me on the first replay they showed that it was not conclusive either way so the call was going to stand.

As has been brought up in previous posts, if you want to complain about officiating then you also have to consider both sides and how many times JFinley was getting jammed 10-12 yards downfield. On one particular 3rd down late in the game Finley was completely rerouted on his stem at 10 yards. How is that not illegal contact?

41. quirtevans says: Dec 6, 2011 8:28 AM

The Giants had their chances. They can’t use a bad call as an excuse.

That said, it’s pretty clear from that picture that Ballard got his knee down.

Triplette is notorious for not overturning on-the-field calls. He takes the concept of indisputable evidence seriously. Other refs are more willing to overturn.

42. packattack1967 says: Dec 6, 2011 8:28 AM

I looked at it again. Looks like his pad might be in, the knee? No way.

43. ham1 says: Dec 6, 2011 8:32 AM

Giants fans you are doing yourself a disservice.
    This is what the NFC Cowgirls and the AFC Ravens do all the time. Complain and whine rather than move on. Let them keep that perception all to themselves. They rightfully earned it. Move on.

44. eddddddd says: Dec 6, 2011 8:32 AM

Instant replay – just one more thing that ruins the game. Play it on the field, not on TV.

45. maddog111 says: Dec 6, 2011 8:33 AM

Ever notice how often Pereira is wrong when he says what he thinks the decision of the ref will be after reviewing the replay? It seems like if the rule is that unless there is clear, unequivocal evidence that the play was called incorrectly the call on the field must stand. You’d think that he would agree with the ref 90% of the time, but it’s abouta 50/50 shot with him.

Way too much inconsitency with these calls. And I’m not complaining about any of the calls in the Gaints game. Not a fan of either team, but just the officiating in general seems to be awful this year.

46. m2karateman says: Dec 6, 2011 8:35 AM

schmokes says:

———————————————————
    While what you say is true, the fact is that Jennings NEVER had controlled possession of the ball. I think that happens to be a rule as well.

Also, since you brought it up, the Calvin Johnson episode SHOULD have been a catch, because he had both feet down with the ball in his hands in the end zone. By rule, THAT is a touchdown. He didn’t go to the ground until after his feet came to the ground, and after the defender hit him. By definition, he completed the catch and did so in the end zone, feet on ground, ball under control. That is defined as a catch in the NFL rules. The “Going to the Ground” rule was written to define a catch when someone never regains their feet after catching the ball (diving catch), but has since been bastardized.

47. righton989 says: Dec 6, 2011 8:36 AM

Giants GM to convice Coach “Slappie” to quit job as men’s room attendant and take over the Giants. Slappie days will soon follow.

48. jcjets says: Dec 6, 2011 8:36 AM

how about Driver’s last TD when he throws the Giants cornerback out of the way before leaning out of bounds for the catch. CLEARLY offensive pass interference.

49. ezcheese says: Dec 6, 2011 8:39 AM

Hypocrite haters. You’ll sit there and say ” even Mike Pereira thought the Ballard catch was a touchdown” to strengthen your argument then bash the Jennings touchdown. News flash Pereira said that was a touchdown too. Use whatever angle you can to convince yourselves your right, then continue to trawl the Internet in your moms basement for a few more hours today. You simply forget about the crazy roughing the passer call on Clay (forearm to the head my butt) and how you pretty much raped Finley all day and the refs allowed it.

50. dbestpro says: Dec 6, 2011 8:41 AM

What I don’t understand is the medias lack of attention to the Jennings catch. I am not a Giants fan, but something seems very, very, wrong and they think if they just ignore it enough it will go away. Calls like that are not good for any team including the Packers. Now, fans will always give the Pack an asterisk for an undefeated season, if it happens.

51. vargafamily1 says: Dec 6, 2011 8:42 AM

Oh cry me a river!!!

Ballards catch would have stood if it were called and TD.

Jennings Catch would have stood if it were called incomplete.

There’s just not enough evidence either way to over turn either call.

What about the illegal contacts the Giants were committing all day?

If fact, on the DD TD that was reviewed, Price clearly shoved him way beyond five yards. That shove almost pushed DD out of bounds.

What about the Giants fakeing injuries everytime the Packers were gaining any kind of momentum on their drives??

Fans are bitter when their team losses. Fact is, the Packers are just better. They did enough to win.

Oh, by the way, JPP used leverage on both half expirering FGs and was not called either.

Talk about selective memory.

52. skins23 says: Dec 6, 2011 8:46 AM

Giants fans have no room to complain about anything. They’re constantly one of the luckiest teams in the league when it comes to getting good calls and good bounces.

This year alone they’ve had 3 games where calls have helped them win. Cruz vs. Zona, the PI call on an uncatchable ball vs. Pats, and the phantom offensive PI call on Brandon Marshall on the Dolphins last drive.

53. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 6, 2011 8:47 AM

———-

NO YOU HAVEN’T. Stop ufcking lying. One or two over a DECADE does not equal “so many”.

54. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 6, 2011 8:49 AM

badtimeoutcaldwell says:
    Dec 6, 2011 7:48 AM

These things make little common sense

————-

Manningham had a similar situation vs. BUF where Terrence McGee knocked the ball out last second. Manningham had it for JUST AS LONG as Jennings did, they OVERTURNED it (naturally Coughlin challenged it at the time, stating that he thought it was a catch). Excuse us if we join Calvin in being aghast at the inconsistency with interpreting the rules, which are seemingly made up on the fly.

55. howley1 says: Dec 6, 2011 8:49 AM

No woman, no cry.

56. rilesbarkley says: Dec 6, 2011 8:50 AM

I’m not sure why no one else has pointed out that Tripplette usually screws the Packers over! 18 penalties against the Bears last year is just one example.

57. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 6, 2011 8:50 AM

rrbernier says:
    Dec 6, 2011 7:55 AM

———

Illegal contact??? The rest of the NFL has been saying all year that Finley, Jennings and ESPECIALLY Nelson get away with PUSHING OFF all game. What are you clamoring about?

58. packhawk04 says: Dec 6, 2011 8:50 AM

Anyone want to talk about the refs taking 3 points from the pack? How bout raji being held every play… Anyone want to discuss that?

59. frankvzappa says: Dec 6, 2011 8:52 AM

60. zaggs says: Dec 6, 2011 8:53 AM

“b921 says: Dec 6, 2011 8:15 AM

First off, in my opinion, there was not sufficient video evidence to overturn this. Watch the replay, there is no way to prove that his knee hit in-bounds I don’t care what Pereira says.”

You mean outside the fact you can see his kneepad move when it touches down before it hit white? But its not about one play, it was a pattern by this ref crew. Twice Hakeem Nicks beat the scrub corner on him, Eli tosses a perfect pass, but with the corner then holding Nicks’s jersey, no call. Even on Nicks’s last TD, Woodson was interfering, again no call. Cruz’s big catch on their last driver, as the green bay corner fell down he grabbed Cruz’s jersey, again no call.
    Also, why was there no replay on Donald Drivers 2nd TD to see if his foot stepped out of bounds? There were at least 2 cameras on that end.
    But in a game decided by 3 points, a 4 point swing is pretty damn big.

61. zaggs says: Dec 6, 2011 8:55 AM

Oh and just to prove the fix was in. From ESPN’s article about it: “NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said officials don’t look at still photos when they review a play.”. Except the picture was made of the Fox TV cameras, so what does looking at still pics have to do with it? It was available on replay, and Triplett ignored it.

62. riverhorsey says: Dec 6, 2011 8:56 AM

Refs never get better, year after year

63. moochzilla says: Dec 6, 2011 8:58 AM

100 guys in a bar argument, schmokes.

Everyone here has seen that not called a TD 90% of the time.

Period.

64. moochzilla says: Dec 6, 2011 9:01 AM

And do your job as sloppy as Jeff did his and see what happens.

I am not a Giants fan. I think the Packers would’ve scored whatever they needed to to win that game no matter if this was called a TD or not.

But the officiating has been sloppy all season.

Highlight was the Vick “backward pass” against Dallas that clearly went forward….by about 5-6 yards.

65. mortort says: Dec 6, 2011 9:02 AM

I always think it a bad idea for a coach to allow his players to feel like victims.

Reasonable people can disagree on both the Ballard and Jennings TD’s. That’s why both plays stood as called on the field.

66. melikefootball says: Dec 6, 2011 9:04 AM

As fans of a certain team we all have seen calls that were very iffy this year. Seems each year the calls are so diffetrent for each group of refs and is causing tems to lose games.

67. fatdaddy73 says: Dec 6, 2011 9:05 AM

schmokes says:
    Dec 6, 2011 8:18 AM
    rexryansdirtysock says:
    Dec 6, 2011 8:01 AM
    I thought the Greg Jennings touchdown was also an incomplete.

——————————————————–

Losers complain about the refs.

If the “make a football move” isn’t required in the end zone, then Calvin Johnson’s non td vs the Bears would DEFINITELY have been a td, since he covered like 7 yards in the endzone with possession. This just illustrates the complete insanity that is the NFL rules. I’ve watched a lot of football (20 years) and Jennings catch did not look like a td to me, although Johnson’s last year did…=/

68. kidpresentable says: Dec 6, 2011 9:08 AM

“I hate the giants, but it is pretty clear that the refs have been instructed to hand green bay a perfect season.”

It’s scary that you can believe this and you’re allowed to vote and/or drive.

69. kidpresentable says: Dec 6, 2011 9:14 AM

“Except the picture was made of the Fox TV cameras, so what does looking at still pics have to do with it? It was available on replay, and Triplett ignored it.”

Click on the link in the article above. It takes you to an article containing the Fox footage from the broadcast. Show me the moment where there is “INDISPUTABLE VISUAL EVIDENCE” to overturn the initial call that stated he was out of bounds. Every angle makes it appear like his knee lands on the line. For it to count, his knee would clearly need to be in. Since no angle showing that exists, you cannot overturn the call.

70. gb4mn0 says: Dec 6, 2011 9:18 AM

It seems this is more irrefutable evidence that there’s a vast league wide conspiracy to allow the Champs to go undefeated. YAWN!

71. bradshawlives says: Dec 6, 2011 9:18 AM

Considering how easily the Packers moved down the field on their last drive they could’ve scored a TD if they needed it. Coughlin should be sick to his stomach about his defense in the last minute.

72. richm2256 says: Dec 6, 2011 9:19 AM

Amadeus says:
    Dec 6, 2011 8:10 AM

———————————————————
    You apparently were watching a completely different game than the rest of us. Green Bay barely squeaked by with a win.

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but I watched that 4th quarter thinking “dayum, the refs are doing all they can to hand this game to Green Bay!”.

That Jennings TD was a complete joke; dude had one hand completely OFF the ball, and it was MOVING.

What I haven’t seen mentioned anywhere is that on the first completion of GB’s final drive, the NY DB made a typical error when instead of wrapping the reciever up with his arms and tackling him IN-bounds to keep the clock running, he simply HIT the guy and knocked him OUT of bounds to stop the clock…..

why would you want to do THAT??????

Too many defenders today have given up actual “tackling” for simply “hitting” a guy, and the results are endless missed tackles or extra yards, or stopping the clock when you should be burning time instead.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

If that player stays inbounds, the clock ticks and AR has less time before reaching field goal distance.

73. thejuddstir says: Dec 6, 2011 9:21 AM

I’m certainly not a Giants fan but I have said since early in the season that the Packers are getting the same treatment from the officials this year that the Saints got in 2009. So many people like to brag up Woodson of the Pack but if you focus on him while watching a game, you will see that he holds on almost every single play. Opponents have complained about it for years but the officials let him get away with it. And other posters are correct when they comment how the Packer WR’s have perfected the art of the push off (offensive pass interference). The Pack has a great team, they don’t need the officials to hand them every call. Ballard’s catch was definitely a TD and how an official could miss it after seeing the replay in slow motion is unforgiveable. You got robbed Giant fans.

74. jerseyshoregiant says: Dec 6, 2011 9:30 AM

——————————-

Does anybody agree with me that Fox needs to stop this nonsense of going to this fool Pereira!! It is soooooooo annoying!!
    Not to mention I don’t remeber him agreeing with either of TC’s challenges. He might have after the fact but he didn’t during the game.

Either way, game is over. Bottom line is Gmen need to beat Dallas this week!!!

75. arnoldziffel says: Dec 6, 2011 9:31 AM

A still photo?

I can make my cat look bigger than my car with a still photo.

How about this – you had the Packers at their own 20 yard line with less than a minute to play, and your defense let them walk down the field in 4 plays to score the winning field goal.

And this – how many games have you lost in a row?

Truth is, ol’ Tom SHOULD feel sick to his stomach the way his team has played the last month. He’s just playing the “us against the world” card.

How about this – see if you can beat the Cowboys this week.

76. yamchargers says: Dec 6, 2011 9:33 AM

As a Chargers fan I hate any team Eli is on but this was a crap call.

The officiating in this league is terrible.

77. skins23 says: Dec 6, 2011 9:34 AM

LOL NO WAY was that a TD. His knee CLEARLY came down out of bounds. It looks like it was going to come down in, but it clearly “hovers” above the EZ until it finally comes down on the line.

I can’t believe people are actually arguing that should have been overturned. Giants fans have such a freaking sense of entitlement.

78. jerseyshoregiant says: Dec 6, 2011 9:37 AM

kidpresentable says:
    Dec 6, 2011 9:14 AM

—————————————

I agree, to me it looks like his knee hits the line. I thought so during the game and I continue to think so

79. mikejd12 says: Dec 6, 2011 9:38 AM

It was a good call, to the untrained eye he came down in bounds, but you can see where his knee really hit, because the rubber beads in the turf flew up. He was out.

80. fatgraycat says: Dec 6, 2011 9:39 AM

Maybe he should be sick to his stomach that his defense allowed the packers to go 68 yards in less than a minute for a chip shot FG to win it.

81. sjayski says: Dec 6, 2011 9:39 AM

His knee clearly was on the line. It was out of bounds by inches. I don’t know what Coughlin is sick over, it was the right call.

For the record, I am a fan of neither team.

82. cowboycjn says: Dec 6, 2011 9:43 AM

Not specifically this play but overall, refs have been making way too many bad calls lately. Look at how many times the review overturns those bad calls which never should have been made in the first place. I think too many of the refs are too old to see or move close enough to the play to see what the heck is going on. Just saying – officiating has sucked lately in all games.

83. vikingdoode says: Dec 6, 2011 9:46 AM

as much as I want to side with anyone who plays against the NFL’s fix team GBP. I saw the play, he caught the ball got one foot in. He needed to get the other foot or knee in. So unfortunately no td…..Unless you can get one foot in and the same knee in equals two feet?

84. jetblackninja says: Dec 6, 2011 9:48 AM

The Packers were handed this game and were going to be handed this game no matter what so the league can continue the undefeated storyline.

Nothing new.

85. naeem42 says: Dec 6, 2011 9:49 AM

I do love the argument that it’s whining to point out bad calls. The winning team never does, so I guess we should just ignore it? Just like only teams that get screwed by the BCS complain so that makes their complaints obsolete.

And just because Finley throws his hands up and complains after every play does not mean the refs missed a call. The one non call on Finley when there was definite contact was when he and a defender ran into each other on what was clearly a pick play. He throws his hands up as usual and doesn’t get a call, though offensive PI could’ve been called just as easily as illegal contact.

And the illegal fair catch? You do realize that had the call been made, then GB would’ve had far less time to score right? It was a decidedly one sided reffed game.

That said, GB were the better team and NYG had their chances. Can’t make the mistakes they did against such an elite team.

86. metcalfer says: Dec 6, 2011 9:52 AM

The Officials continue to suck the life out of a great game. Even with instant replay they still can’t get it right. It just amazes me how the refs seem to want to be the focal point of the game and not the players.

87. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Dec 6, 2011 9:53 AM

rrbernier says:Dec 6, 2011 7:55 AM

_________________________________
    first of all it’s ‘illegal’ and secondly, thanks for reinforcing my point, very poor officiating.
    how about the non call on what was clearly pass interference on nicks touchdown. nicks was getting smothered for the world to see, but no call.

88. paulieorkid says: Dec 6, 2011 9:58 AM

My team is an AFC team and I have no dog in the fight here, but anyone sensible can see that the Giants got hosed by Triplette’s latest botch job.

Poetic justice would have been for Orlando Brown to open up one of those bean bag guns on Triplette from point blank, but Zeus is gone. RIP.

89. ilivincin says: Dec 6, 2011 10:01 AM

This call wasn’t quite as bad as the catcah (TD) Jermaine Gresham made against Baltimore. He had two feet in the inbound, one as he crossed the goal line, then a third step out of bounds. To me, the third step changes the rule.

90. trapshoot says: Dec 6, 2011 10:01 AM

Officials are human and replays are not exact. Mistakes can, and do, happen. ‘Bad’ calls tend to even out. Class coaches do not blame losses on officiating.

91. smad210sports says: Dec 6, 2011 10:07 AM

92. bpearse230 says: Dec 6, 2011 10:08 AM

I honestly didn’t think there was enough evidence to overturn the call. (not a fan of either team) It was a great play and sometimes I wish the benefit of the doubt went to the athlete making a great play. That being said, the new rule that automatically reviews questionable scoring plays is severely flawed. If the refs had called that a TD then the booth would have reviewed it. Instead the refs call it incomplete and the Giants are forced to use a challenge. All potential scoring plays should be subject to a booth review if they are going to have any automatic reviews. I also think they should switch to a two strikes and you’re out method for challenges. Why does a coach have to go two for two in order to get a third challenge when it’s already been proven that the refs screwed up once? The coaches should get two wrong challenges per game and unlimited correct challenges. Isn’t that the point of replay? To get the call right.

93. bigbluelou says: Dec 6, 2011 10:11 AM

Looked out to me. but Tripplette sucks anywho.
    On both challenges, I don’t what the guys “upstairs” were looking at to tell TC to throw the red flag on both.

94. kdizzle22 says: Dec 6, 2011 10:13 AM

To the people saying whaaaaa. If your team had a td taken away in a huge game that was decided by less than 7 you would be upset with the officiating too. Hippocrates

95. bkostela says: Dec 6, 2011 10:13 AM

——————————————————

On the play (I think) you’re referring to, Williams jammed him at 5 (or 6), and then Ross rerouted him at 7. They let that go. Later in the game on a third down that ended up being a sack, Williams rerouted him at 10 and got a penalty for it. They were pretty loose in the ‘illegal contact’ and ‘defensive holding’ areas all game. Many replays showed D-backs grabbing the shirts of the receivers with no flag.

96. canesfan56 says: Dec 6, 2011 10:14 AM

Not to mention- This call came from the ref who didn’t know the overtime rules for the regular season. Is he really the best the NFL has to offer? Im neither a Giants or Packers fan and the call makes me sick too!

97. birdbrainsnj says: Dec 6, 2011 10:18 AM

I guess they only showed him the one angle where it looked like his knee touched? If they showed him the other its obvious his knee is out of bounds. Get over it you old bum. Blame the refs for another season of token second half collapse. It never gets old. I hope the g-men keep him around forever!

98. purpleisreallypinkyouknow says: Dec 6, 2011 10:24 AM

Jennings was not going to the ground….he had control of the ball with both hands for a split second….he’s in the endzone, the ball is dead and a TD….slap after the fact is a moot point.

i.e.: RB 1 dives for the endzone and hits the inside of the pylon with the ball….after ward RB 1 hits the ground or DB 2 slaps ball away after said touch of pylon (equal to breaking the plane)…ball is already dead and a TD regardless of ball being slapped or player hitting the ground.

You people need to stick with something less complicated….like lawn Jarts…..jeepers.

Typical New York…we deserve everything all the time….a wonder why the world hates the US. Thanks donkeys.

99. moochzilla says: Dec 6, 2011 10:25 AM

And I wasn’t the only one that thought the officiating was a joke – Finley recognized it as well.

Finley was the first receiver I can ever remember to flop, Vlade Divac style, on a catchable ball.

He realized that with the bad officials that day, the percentage play was to take a dive and wave his hands until he got a flag.

That’s all the evidence you need.

100. kidpresentable says: Dec 6, 2011 10:25 AM

“When they go 16-0, the year 2011 will be forever remembered for the Green Bay Packer conspiracy; the fact that the NFL wants them to go undefeated for ratings purposes.”

Yes, because the NFL just struggles with ratings in years where there are no undefeated teams after 13 weeks.

Please provide evidence of your conspiracy. Citing your sources would be appreciated. Don’t just say, they get all the calls because that’s subjective.

101. canteatgreens says: Dec 6, 2011 10:25 AM

The Greg Jennings TD was a catch because he took either 3 or 3 1/2 steps with the ball before it was knocked out by the defender. If you can’t understand that, you shouldn’t be complaining.

The ball doesn’t magically hover against the fingers at the same level for no damned reason. Greg Jennings was in motion, so the ball was in motion with him. It’s really not that hard.

102. wicky888 says: Dec 6, 2011 10:26 AM

Face the facts:

1 the refs are inconsistent all around
    example: there’s some form of holding on every play somewhere, they pick and choose when they call it

2 a lot of these rules have grey areas
    example: I dont even know whats a catch or a TD anymore, let alone a TD catch

3 good teams / popular teams get preferential treatment
    example: How often have we seen the Patriots, Colts, and Steelers (and now Packers) get call after call year after year? You never want to admit it when its your team, but its true. Perfect example, the Eagles this year. Early in the year when they were the hyped “Dream Team” they got away with EVERYTHING. Now they are penalized left and right.

103. stevescars says: Dec 6, 2011 10:29 AM

3 words:

Clay Matthews Pick

104. supermariojosh says: Dec 6, 2011 10:30 AM

My favorite thing about this site is when somebody mentions something they “saw” in the comments, and then somebody further down in the comments uses the previous comment to conclude that everybody in the world has been noticing this.

This thread’s example: People claiming Jordy Nelson pushes off all the time.

I’ve watched every Packer game this year.

Does Finley push off sometimes and constantly call for illegal contact. Yes. He does.

Does Jordy Nelson push off to get separation? No. Have you even seen his catches the last couple weeks? He doesn’t even HAVE any separation.

I’ve said it before. The Packers are the new Patriots. The team that everybody loved, but now are “sick” of. Success breeds contempt. Oh well.

105. fcs34 says: Dec 6, 2011 10:36 AM

The Giants got jobbed that whole game. The fix was in.

106. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 6, 2011 10:53 AM

rexryansdirtysock says:
    Dec 6, 2011 8:01 AM
    I thought the Greg Jennings touchdown was also an incomplete.

————

To answer your last question, ball all indications and how it has been called all year (Calvin, Gresham, Manningham and numerous others), NO it would not have been a catch. Or shouldn’t have.

Something tells me that even if that had been the case, the refs would have vehemently called it a TD just as they did in that case, while equally vehemently calling the Ballard TD a non-catch both live and via replay.

To the Packer fans acting like we’re jealous of them for whatever reason, or acting like Vikings fans, I can see why so many people hate you. Knock it off with the whining nonsense. Too many instances of horrible officiating throughout the game that directly altered the game flow AND subsequently, the outcome. The Giants got away with HOLDING on a pass play and ONE situation where Finley was contacted beyond five yards. However, he (Finley) and Nelson were initiating contact on their cuts and pushing off with both arms. If Buck and Aikman, UNIVERSALLY understood to be Giants haters are flummoxed as to why they get away with it, these Packers fans need to rejoin us back on earth, where they were before this time last year, because I swear they are out of control with the oblivious rose colored glasses act.

107. cmstrick says: Dec 6, 2011 10:54 AM

And if I recall correctly, I think Triplett said that the ruling on the field was “confirmed”, did he not? That means he agreed with the ruling on the field, not just that there wasn’t enough evidence to overturn it.

And anyway, really, every game has blown calls and missed penalties. Every. Single. One. It’s extremely rare that any single call (especially one that happened so early in the game) can decide the outcome.

108. cmstrick says: Dec 6, 2011 10:59 AM

smad210sports said: Dec 6, 2011 10:07 AM

__________________________________

You are one sad, sorry little man. Bears fan?

109. tshirttom says: Dec 6, 2011 11:03 AM

The Packers always get the call if it’s close. How was that juggling one-hand only TD catch a TD and yet C. Johnson’s total control, 2 hands catch with both 2 feet a butt down in the end zone not a catch? If anyone looks at the plays again closely the ground didn’t cause Johnson to fumble and their was no control on the Packers TD. The refs in the league seems to think give any close call to the Super Bowl champs I think.

110. kidpresentable says: Dec 6, 2011 11:05 AM

For all of the Packer conspiracy birthers/truthers/we’ve-never-landed-on-the-mooners, I’d like to point out that the Packers defense is tied for the 5th most number of penalties so apparently, they don’t “get all the calls.”

111. rabidbillsfan says: Dec 6, 2011 11:07 AM

I refuse to read the above 100+ comments, so somebody may have mentioned this already. This all goes back to the call on the field. Under the hood, Refs don’t get the “Zoomed in” shot, heck I don’t even know if they can slow the play down, so they have to deal with true angle replays. The catch was EXTREMLY close to being in or out, so NFL Ref’s are taught to stay with the call on the field, thats true in all games, not just this game. It sucks it went the way that it did, but to crucify Tripplette is just asinine. He actually called a pretty good game for todays standards. However, I do hate watching Packer games. It is like watching college football. All of the guys on that team, except Rodgers and Jennings, are products of the system. Of course Rodgers is going to throw for 300+ yards a game when they only run the ball 12+ times. Their defense is terrible, and this week showed their Pass Pro isn’t all that great either. I would rather watch a game featuring two teams who run and pass well, and play solid defense, then a team that takes advantage just because they have more horses, and only looks to outscore the opposition. It’s boring.

112. ruvelligwebuike says: Dec 6, 2011 11:10 AM

Poorly officiated game, no question. I just wish the Giants had a fair chance to win the game.

Like for example, if they were tied with 58 seconds left and had Green Bay on their own 20. Wait, what’s that you say? Rodgers carved that crap defense up like Bobby Flay chops an onion with the game on the line. Who you gonna blame that one on?

113. ejvpilot says: Dec 6, 2011 11:10 AM

With the Ballard play, everyone has focused on the knee and whether it was in or not. But, if you watch the play all the way through you see that the ball clearly pops out and should have been ruled no catch per the Calvin Johnson rule. As for the Jennings play? Tough call either way.

114. gcsuk says: Dec 6, 2011 11:18 AM

I think both Giants fans and Packers fans can agree on one thing: this was one of THE worst officiated games we’ve seen in a while. Ballard TD, Jennings TD, Fair Catch… the list goes on and on. Both sides got screwed on more than one occasion, and with Instant Replay, there is just no excuse for that anymore.

115. filmex2000 says: Dec 6, 2011 11:23 AM

He probably shouldn’t be complaining when one of their victories this year, that being the one over the Cardinals, was a gift from the refs.

Cruz caught a pass, was running with the ball when he got top-heavy, lost his balance and did a belly flop. Incredibly, the ref decided he “gave himself up”, and the resulting fumble, recovered by the Cards, was negated.

Unbelievable. The fumble would have preserved the Cards victory, instead the gift to the Giants allowed them to score and win the game. Quit your carping, Tommy Boy. And let us know the next time you hear of a receiver “giving himself up”.

116. johngaltwho says: Dec 6, 2011 11:26 AM

Amazing how fans cant see through their fan based bias. I watch games all the time and say – we got away with one there or we got ripped off on that one. Seems many Giants fans only see things one way.

Ballard – there’s a reason refs dont look at still photos, a single snapshot is insufficient and often deceptive – the knee when completely weight bearing was out of bounds.

As for Jennings – try this – hold a football in one hand with your hand above the football. If you can do it, then you have control of the football (this should not be a tricky concept, if it is, I suggest some readings by a Sir Isaac Newton).

And Driver, if he was out in the back of the end zone, it was due to the uncalled illegal contact, fortunately, he wasnt out so that didnt matter.

117. johngaltwho says: Dec 6, 2011 11:31 AM

And the previous post about Ballard was correct, I forgot about that. The knee was irrelevant. He lost control of the ball when hitting the ground and when he regained it his whole body was off the field. No brainer. Coughlin should be embarrassed after an NFL representative explains that to him.

118. purpleisreallypinkyouknow says: Dec 6, 2011 11:39 AM

Tom, this is your doctor….that symptom is actually acid reflux and it’s from nerves and a very common product for people who have recently suffered a great loss in the family, a recent divorce, or possibly even from an impending termination at your place of work. Stay away from spicy foods and carbonated beverages until the symptoms subside or you get fired in a few weeks.

- Dr. Lam Duk

119. beltmerica says: Dec 6, 2011 11:44 AM

You know what amazes me more than any of these calls? The fact that Eli Manning just isn’t very good. After watching a few of his games now, it’s apparent that on the majority of his big pass plays he blindly throws the ball up and a receiver has to make a play or the D back has to really botch it for it to be a success…

120. bigbluelou says: Dec 6, 2011 11:45 AM

Before the Giants season started, I had Big Blue @ 9-7. And had to hear all the whinning before the season about injuries OMG we will be in last and losing the first game to the Redskins didn’t help matters. But please stop whinning. We started off good (with all the injuries mind you), and are in our annual second half demise. We played tough, hung in there but lost to a great QB, plain and simple. We are still in the hunt and now have a 4 game sked. I don’t want to hear about refs blowing calls. We had a chance to win and we did not. Getting 35 points over Green Bay ain’t too shabby, but its all about the defense. They need to make stops.

121. mrniceinvenice says: Dec 6, 2011 11:57 AM

This call means nothing. The Giants played with heart. All that matters is having meaningful games in December, which the Giants have, and kicking the crap out of the Cowboys on Sunday night.

122. techvet says: Dec 6, 2011 12:39 PM

Was he sick to his stomach when Matthews ran back the pick-6? Was he wretching his guts when Manning got sacked and fumbled the ball? Why did he throw the red flag on that ball caught right in front of him?

123. jeb68 says: Dec 6, 2011 12:44 PM

I don’t care if you’re a Giants or Packers fan (I’m a Ravens fan), the Jenning’s call was a BAD call. If you are a Packer’s fan, you should admit that you were blessed by that call and move on instead of adamently denying it. The call the Giant’s got on the Cruz fumble was the wrong call also and they were very fortunately for that.

Look, there are teams that get calls more than others in this league and that is fact. Everyone sees it. Unfortunately, the Packers will get most of the calls now because the NFL knows that fans want to see an undefeated team. I’m of the philosophy that all calls should be subjective and fairness should win out even if the team that is playing is a “fan” favorite. It sickens me when a game is clearly being called in one teams favor. The empitome of that was Superbowl XL. The poor Seahawks had to play the refs and the Steelers.

124. voiceofrealism says: Dec 6, 2011 12:54 PM

I’ve heard it from others, but didn’t believe it until reading this thread. My GOD! NY fans are the whiniest sore losers in the country.

125. clev4 says: Dec 6, 2011 1:14 PM

Coughlin arguing is comical, it was inconclusive evidence, I did not believe he was in. He must also be forgetting pierre paul using leverage on crosby’s missed fg which would have resulted in a closer fg which he probably would have made. Taking both those plays into account the packers still win by 2. Not to mention the giants would not have went for 2 at the end of the game so it would have actually still been tied and packers win by 3. Regardless packers win

126. bischof21 says: Dec 6, 2011 1:25 PM

Packers get the call….shocking

127. patriotsfanfromindia says: Dec 6, 2011 1:31 PM

Giants’ fans, do not crib about the BS call. I still think Giants make the play-offs regardless.

Who knows, In the NFC championship game maybe Jake Ballard catches the game winner on the back of his helmet or Charles Woodson thinks he should have had a fumble ruling when Eli’s hand was clearly in a forward pass motion.

And yeah, you know which team will be waiting for the Giants in SB XLVI, Don’t you?

128. fotogsteve says: Dec 6, 2011 1:36 PM

Years ago my brother-in-law and I used to watch Lakers-Celtics games. He was a huge Laker fan, I was a huge Celtic fan.
    Larry Bird would drive the lane.
    My view: a Laker pulled a knife and mugged him.
    My brother-in-laws view: Bird took 17 steps and tripped over untied shoelaces.

Magic goes up for a shot. McHale blocks it.
    My view: all ball
    Brother in Laws view: Magic was lucky his arm wasn’t broken from the contact.

In each case, it didn’t matter what slow-motion showed. Our perceptions and prejudices wouldn’t let us change our minds.

So if you’re a Giant fan, you only see calls that you feel are against your team, and ignore the calls that help you out.

Same thing for Packer fans.

It’s just human nature.

129. vman0626 says: Dec 6, 2011 1:37 PM

I am NOT a giants fan….

Stop with the whining comments, please. The fact of the matter is there is little consistency from officiating crew to crew, game by game. The Giants do have a reason to gripe- what is the justification for Jennings’ catch? If he did the same thing at midfield can any of you truthfully say it would’ve been ruled a catch? What about Nicks being mauled all day with no calls? Watch the replay if you don’t believe me. 46 passing attempts on a day the pass rush was strong with zero holding calls. That happens, sure. But again- watch the replay. Half a dozen plays at least Tuck et al is being dragged to the ground. I am not a conspiracy fan, but I feel the NFL enjoys the idea of another unbeaten team entering the post season.

130. toolkien says: Dec 6, 2011 1:43 PM

Jeb68- It’s a BAD call because you say so? Where in the rule book does it say HOW you have to catch the ball? You can’t catch the front end of the ball? You can’t catch it with just your finger tips? A catch is when YOU control the ball and YOU direct its movement, that it’s not moving on its own. JENNINGS moves the ball with his finger tips and and he has FOUR feet down. You CAN catch the front end of the ball and run as long as you want without tucking it away. The REASON people tuck it away on the field of play is so they don’t FUMBLE it. In the end zone, once control is displayed, AND YOU AREN’T GOING TO THE GROUND, it’s a CATCH. There’s the separate rule for going to the ground that applies. I don’t care for that rule, but it has nothing to do with this play.

131. jli921 says: Dec 6, 2011 1:44 PM

A few thoughts after reading many posts. I would have been less frustrated had the Ballard call have been “the ruling on the field stands” but that was not the case. They said that the ruling was “confirmed” which appears to be incorrect. Either way, no TD so it’s a non-issue. The Jennings TD is much more egregious in my opinion. I have watch way too much football and seen way too many catches ruled incomplete because the receiver was juggling the ball and did not have complete control inbounds for this call to be correct. You can talk about the non-calls for illegal contact all you want, but penalties can be called on almost every play, be it for holding or whatever. These two plays are different because they directly lead to the score of the game. It’s one thing to miss a call than to make an incorrect call that could have and should have been rectified. Regardless, the Giants lost. End of story.

132. toolkien says: Dec 6, 2011 1:56 PM

jcjets says:
    Dec 6, 2011 8:36 AM
    ———————————–
    Sure. Right. 99% of ANY contact between Driver and the defenseman was iniated BY THE DEFENSEMAN and if ANYTHING were to be called it would have been DEFENSIVE – probably illegal contact (being SLIGHTLY more than 5 yards downfield, the ball wasn’t in the air yet). It’s amazing what people will allow themselves to see. All this howling about how much the Packers were getting all the calls, and I didn’t see a yellow flag for illegal contact on that play, or several others. But it was ALL called the Packers’ way. Sure. Right.

133. toolkien says: Dec 6, 2011 2:06 PM

It’s absolutely stunning how loudly so many people complain AND THEY DON’T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. A catch (when not going to the ground) occurs when the RECEIVER is the one controlling the course of action on the ball. He can pin the ball to the top of his helmet with one pinky finger and dance a jig if he wants to -it’s a catch. Of course if he’s not in the endzone ending the play instantly as a TD, but rather is in the field of play, and he does that, he’ll be hammered and fumble the ball, hence why they tuck it away until they are on the ground after contact, which ends the play. Jennings CLEARLY had the ball and was directing its course and had FOUR steps before it was knocked out. If he had it only by two index fingers at either end of the ball, but got two feet down, it’s a catch and a TD.

134. maddog111 says: Dec 6, 2011 2:32 PM

toolkien says:
    Dec 6, 2011 2:06 PM
    ———————————————-
    He still has to get two feet down AFTER controlling it. Are you honestly trying to say he had controlling it during those four steps? He bobbled it until the very last second. I do believe he secured it right at the end, but I don’t know if he had two feet in after controlling it.

It was an extremely close call, but you’re letting the homer in you determine it was cut and dry. Saying he controlled that ball for four steps is ridiculous.

135. nekelund says: Dec 6, 2011 2:35 PM

This was a close game featuring a high-powered GB offense and a good-but-not-great NYG offense against a vulnerable, gambling GB defense. The Ballard and Jennings calls were close and it is unlikely that either would have been reversed on review had they gone the other way on the field (the Ballard call was close enough to warrant a challenge from Coughlin, though his second challenge in the third quarter was idiotic).

I don’t understand the complaining about the Driver catch because:
    (i) it is not clear he stepped out of bounds;
    (ii) even if Driver did, it was a result of a push by the defender, which would allow Driver to step back in and reestablish himself prior to making a catch;
    (iii) Driver took two steps clearly inbounds after possibly being pushed out, thus reestablishing himself in the event he had stepped out-of-bounds; and
    (iv) he secured the ball and got both feet inbounds, far more clearly than either Jennings or Ballard did, even as he went to the ground.

I am a GB fan, but this game was very close and GB could easily have lost. This was hardly a rout by a superior team; it was a strong offensive performance that managed to do enough to overcome mediocre (the Matthews interception notwithstanding) defense.

136. nekelund says: Dec 6, 2011 2:45 PM

For every non-call hold on Tuck, there were non-call holds on Raji (on every running play) or on Matthews (when the Giants bothered to block him on passes). Holding occurs on virtually every play; the officials focus on only the most egregious ones or ones that clearly either open a big hole to run through or thwart a clean play in the backfield.

What matters in terms of line play is that the officials establish a baseline early (whether they call everything or only the most flagrant holds) and stick to it for both teams. This lets the players know what will fly for players on both teams. The same thing should occur for receivers and defenders downfield, in terms of how much contact they will allow. Overall, the refs seemed to take a let-’em-play attitude and not call many holds or pass interferences (other than a few flagrant ones, including a couple by Woodson). As for the Cruz TD non-call, I suspect a late flag would have come out had Cruz not made the catch.

137. trapshoot says: Dec 6, 2011 3:39 PM

What the coaches, broad casters, or fans ‘think’ makes no difference. Officiating is not an exact science and the zebras do the very best they can.

138. stavreafavre says: Dec 6, 2011 3:53 PM

If the Packers had been down by four Rodgers most likely would’ve gotten them a TD instead of a FG on the last drive anyway. Instead of crying, Giants ought to be happy that they still control their destiny. Beat the guys with the stars on their helmets a couple of times, take care of other business, and they are in. Come over to Lambeau and everyone will have a good time. Before the game, anyway.

139. dbestpro says: Dec 6, 2011 3:57 PM

Packer fans with rose colored glasses. Giant fans and the rest of the league fans with 20-20 vision. Pack need to prepare for the asterisk because most fans will not recognize this win as legitimate thanks to the Jennings fiasco. Worse called game since the Steelers Super Bowl win over Seattle.

140. axespray says: Dec 6, 2011 5:39 PM

by the way, the game was tied with 58 seconds left to go and Tom is mad about a play that happened way back in the 2nd qt?

If anything, he should be mad about how his defense let a team go 59 yards up field in a 14 second time span on their way to kicking THE game winning field goal.

141. steelernation1 says: Dec 6, 2011 5:48 PM

and the second to last td tat the Pack made was a penalty…..the receiver stepped out of bounds then came back in and caught the ball..by league rules a receiver is not aloud to be the first to touch the ball when he goes out of bounds.so clearly the refs blew that call also.smells like a fix to me..either way the pack will not win it all this year.they will run into a team before season is over or in playoffs who will out score them..being they give up too many points per game now.and offense will slip eventually

142. vman0626 says: Dec 6, 2011 9:15 PM

toolkien – you are wrong. once the qb leaves the pocket the db can correctly assume a run and therefore can get physical with the receiver. it is clear you have zero idea what you are talking about.

nekelund – opinions vary but i urge you to watch the reply objectively and the packers were clearly allowed to be more physical. as absurd as that sounds i really think this is true.

143. shaggytoodle says: Dec 7, 2011 12:02 AM

4 steps in the endzone and both hands on the ball. It was a catch.

144. drakost says: Dec 7, 2011 12:34 AM

nfl fan says: Dec 6, 2011 7:59 AM

12-0…with an *

Seriously dude? Your defense couldn’t stop an offense from getting into field goal range in HOW MUCH TIME?? Yeah crap call and the ref screwed up. To think that even comes close to a “*” you are about as ignorant as you are foolish.

145. The Prophet says: Dec 7, 2011 1:27 AM

the NFL clearly has it in the bag for the Packers to win it all and go undefeated. They’ve been getting calls all year and this is just the latest. NFL is trying to erase the ghost of “spygate” as the last team to go 16-0, and want to make that irrelevant again.

146. swagger52 says: Dec 7, 2011 8:58 AM

The Packers of 2011 remind me of the Patriots of 2007. They have the refs working to keep them undefeated.

Brian Billick was right. The review system is going to make the game worse. However, I don’t think even he expected how much it has allowed the Refs to get lazy, not pay attention and just rely on instant replay. It was suppose to correct the one bang bang play in a game. It seems now it is a crutch that the refs rely on to do their job.

147. boyshole25 says: Dec 7, 2011 12:06 PM

as a giants fan let me say this, gmen got away all day with mugging their recievers, esp. finley. Ballard wasnt inbounds, stop whining coughlin and coach your team to stop a team from goin 60 plus yards with under a minute to go. and as for the people who say that the giants shouldve wasted more time, that 2 point conversion wasnt guaranteed, they needed that time left in case they didnt get it and needed to do an onside kick. does anyone watch football or just read this site for recaps?

148. dukemarc says: Dec 7, 2011 12:51 PM

Here you go Giants fans, I’ll give you the Ballard TD if you give the Packers another 3 points on a retry of first half field goal since JPP was busy burying his cleats in the long snappers back trying to get leverage. Guess what? You still lose.

And to the joker talking about the whole league complaining about Packers receivers pushing off this season – citation needed. Or did that only happen in your glue sniffing hazed mind?

149. justaintrightisit says: Dec 7, 2011 3:10 PM

How about being sick over you defense letting AR run right down the field in 58 seconds.

As for all the bad calls, it goes both ways, the officiating has been terrible the whole year and with all the rule changes every damn year who knows what is really a touchdown and what isn’t any more.

150. steelernation1 says: Dec 8, 2011 5:59 AM

drakost says:
    Dec 7, 2011 12:34 AM
    nfl fan says: Dec 6, 2011 7:59 AM

12-0…with an *

……………………………………………………………………………
    look dude i hate both teams.but as ignorant also.you all can click thumbs down all you want but the touchdown where receiver stepped out of bounds and back in which can clearly be seen in replays right in front of ref.there would have been no 58 sec down field like there was.it would have been to have to even the score.they reviewed the play and it was clear that receiver stepped out of bounds before catching the ball..that is an illegal completion.look it up before you thumbs down this lol…

151. eaglesw00t says: Dec 8, 2011 11:45 AM

I have never seen such a bunch of whining babies in my entire life.

And Im an Eagles/Vick fan.

Giants fans take the cake though. 50 reasons of how the game was fixed and how it was taken from them, and how they really should have won that game.

Never once do you mention how you shouldnt have let yourself get into the position to complain about 1 play in the first place.

152. hehateu says: Dec 8, 2011 2:55 PM

Every team in the NFL could complain about how bad the officiating is.

and they would be right.

153. goawayeverybody says: Dec 8, 2011 3:40 PM

Wasn’t this game officiated by Triplett?

Enough said.

154. judsonjr says: Dec 8, 2011 6:39 PM

Mike Pereira is a dope.

I personally thought Greg Jennings catch was iffy. The reason is that 2 years ago a very similar play happened with Jennings against the Bears. Jennings caught a long TD pass, took 3 steps with full possession of the ball, and was standing upright on his own.

As the third step hit, he started to be tackled out the back of the endzone, and in the process he lost the ball. It was ruled no TD, and the ruling was upheld. I believe they looked at it on the Official Review show and said it was the correct ruling.

I’m sympathetic to Giants fans as it sucks when the borderline calls all go against you. In general the game was poorly reffed, and the G-men seemed to get the worst of it.

Tripplett does stink. In a GB game earlier this year a guy blatantly ran into Cobb who had called for a fair catch. They threw a flag, but it was on the Packers for “coming onto the field”…which is usually what happens after a change of possession.

155. bagadeez04 says: Dec 9, 2011 6:13 AM

I thought the guy’s knee was pretty clearly out of bounds on this one. That picture is intentionally deceptive actually…watching the video it’s clear.

On a larger point, Coughlin whining about the refs, or any coach forthat matter, may indicate he’s on his last legs in New York. Complaining about refs is a Coaching 101 no no.

156. rho1953 says: Dec 9, 2011 1:30 PM

They don’t parse calls using still photos. They have to use the video available, and it still looks like he was out. I saw the NFL replay a couple of nights ago and his knee was on the line, which makes him out. Coughlin wasn’t sick about his guy getting away with leverage on a missed kick. That would have given the kicker another chance and could have ended the game in regulation, couldn’t it? Selective outrage.

157. packermilitia says: Dec 9, 2011 5:40 PM

Bad calls happen. Get over it.

158. MossMoon2Packers says: Dec 9, 2011 7:29 PM

@packermilitia (“Bad calls happen. Get over it.”)

Of course, you’d be saying the same thing if the call went against the Packers and they lost. Yeah, right.

159. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 10, 2011 12:44 AM

bagadeez04 says:
    Dec 9, 2011 6:13 AM

——————

You peoples’ galling misunderstanding of the rules is vomit-inducing. The replay CLEARLY SHOWED HIS RIGHT KNEE WAS DOWN IN BOUNDS. One knee equals two feet. We are not talking about his left knee nor foot. Parsed still photo aside, the VIDEO on everyone’s TV set, including the one that Triplette (didn’t) look at showed this on the replays.

160. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 10, 2011 12:46 AM

And TC didn’t BLAME the loss on the officiating, where did he say this? He just found the blatant slanted officiating to be disgusting and sickening to the stomach. Everyone other than Packer fans/Giants haters (and even them should be bothered, because it will happen to them if they play this team also) found it disgusting also.

161. londonbengal says: Dec 11, 2011 5:55 PM

Didn’t Triplette screw up a call today in the Pats/Redskins game ?

Brady scrambled, and got blown up by a Redskin, (was it London Fletcher?), as he was running going into his slide, and got flagged.

Fletcher (?) hit him with his shoulder fair and square, not his arm to the head, like Triplette said.

Triplette should get sat of fined by Goodell for continually stinking the place up.

162. sojumaster says: Dec 12, 2011 1:41 PM

I looked at the picture. You can’t tell. There is too many problems with it.

(Artistically, it is a beautiful picture)

Problems.

(A) Camera Angle. The angle is at a point its nearly impossible to see where his knee is in relationship to the line. (I know it is CLOSE to the line, but is he ABOVE the edge or has he landed already inbounds)

(B) It is difficult to see if the knee is actually touching the ground or not. Since you can see a clear line of his knee, you can assume that he has not hit the ground yet.

(C) There is no time reference and this is where the video comes into play. We can not tell IF had hit the ground at that split second, or if it was the LAST one or the NEXT one.

That is why the NFL uses VIDEO replay, not PHOTO replay.

163. deconjonesbitchslap says: Dec 13, 2011 9:00 AM

packers once again benefit from a bad call. typical. get used to it, NFL fans. this is how it goes.