On Tuesday, Brett Favre issued a statement denying a report that he would be interested if the Bears gave him a call to step in at quarterback for them this season.
Despite that, Jay Cutler, the man whose injury created the Favre buzz in the first place, said that he thinks there was a chance Favre could have returned. During an interview on ESPN 100′s Waddle and Silvy Show, Cutler shared some insights he gleaned from a conversation with Bus Cook, the agent he shares with Favre.
“[Cook] didn’t really expect Brett to come back,” Cutler said. “Brett probably would have came back, but I’m sure it would have to be a very, very high number money-wise, and it would have been interesting.”
Interesting though it would have been, Cutler doesn’t think it would have worked out. Cutler said that he thought it would have been difficult for Favre to step into the Bears offense at this point in the season and that it would be “pointless” to ask someone to try to pick up Mike Martz’s offense at the last minute. That fits with what Devin Hester said earlier this week and the constant denials of Favre interest from G.M. Jerry Angelo.
That should mean we’re done discussing Favre for the rest of the season, although time has taught us to never say never on that front.