Mike Martz “bothered” by rumors about his future with Bears

Mike Martz AP

Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz addressed the rumor that his tenure with the team will end after this season on Wednesday.

“I’m bothered by that,” Martz said. “Obviously, I plan on being back here and want to be here and I am just going to assume it’s all going to work out so that’s unfortunate. That is the only thing I can tell you. It’s just like college jobs and those things, we’re focused on this job and what we’re doing.”

Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune theorized that Martz’s agent could have had something to do with the report to “create leverage or a marketplace for his client” because he knew that Martz would be looking for work. Martz said he had no idea about who the source was for the story, which was reported by Adam Schefter of ESPN. He also said that he met with Bears coach Lovie Smith to discuss the report.

“I wanted to find about it,” Martz said. “I am embarrassed by it and I hope that, anyway, let’s just move on. It’s not good. And it’s not how I think and live my life. Just disappointed.”

Smith called the report “made up” on Monday, although he stopped short of saying that Martz, whose contract expires at the end of the season, will remain with the team.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
27 Responses to “Mike Martz “bothered” by rumors about his future with Bears”
  1. Pacific NW Mark says: Dec 7, 2011 6:30 PM

If we’re laying all our cards on the table here, I’m pretty bothered by his continued tenure as offensive coordinator of the Bears.

I hope one day Martz has the perfect confluence of scheme, team and personnel, because if he’s shown anything in Chicago it is that he’s incapable of playing the hands he’s dealt.

2. seneca1ss says: Dec 7, 2011 6:31 PM

Better Headline “Mike Martz All Hot n’ Bothered for TeBow”

3. boilerup1869 says: Dec 7, 2011 6:34 PM

Better Headline, “Bears Fans Bothered by Mike Martz (and Lovie’s Recent Comments Disputing Reports that Martz is Out)”

4. chipper41 says: Dec 7, 2011 6:35 PM

welcome to chicago Norv Turner

5. fittytuckin says: Dec 7, 2011 6:35 PM

Should be. His style of offense hasn’t worked since the late 90’s. To dooshie to change it.

6. righton989 says: Dec 7, 2011 6:36 PM

Not to worry Martzie, the Browns, Rams, Vikings, Bucs and Chargers all want your proven talent.

7. thevza says: Dec 7, 2011 6:42 PM

Watching that Kansas City game, it sure looked like he was mailing it in to me.

8. snccoach says: Dec 7, 2011 6:46 PM

Funny how he’s “bothered” today, the same day that ASU and UCLA have narrowed down their finalists, which he did not make. He wasn’t bothered when he was in the mix though…interesting.

9. mialto says: Dec 7, 2011 7:06 PM

Who cares? Quit already! Btw who is that nerd with glasses coaching the Bears QBs on the sideline?

10. sfkforever says: Dec 7, 2011 7:07 PM

mike…the year 1999 called…it wants its playbook back!!!!

11. mrplow3 says: Dec 7, 2011 7:09 PM

Mike Martz coached my high school football team in Fresno California. I never played for him because I was still JV his last year there but he talked to us from time to time.

He was kind of an arrogant prick.

12. schmokes says: Dec 7, 2011 7:11 PM

The rest of the NFC north hopes Martz returns next year.

13. bearsfanohio says: Dec 7, 2011 7:13 PM

Just to clarify, he called some great plays Sunday that should have been converted (wide open Earl Bennet, wide open Marion Barber, hands of stone Roy Williams) that either stupidity or poor play negated. Had they made some of those plays, game would have been a different story. Also, he is never available to the media until Wednesday. It’s always been that way. Not saying I necessarily want Martz back, but let’s at least look at facts.

14. thesportsguy52 says: Dec 7, 2011 7:24 PM

Yeah? Well, I’m “bothered” by Mike Martz.

Seriously, enough of this dude. I respect the earlier accomplishments and his involvement with the Greatest Show on Turf ™, but I think we’re all gradually realizing that most of the credit throughout that run should be given to Kurt Warner, Faulk, and Co.

What’d he do in San Fran? Nada. How about Detroit for that short time? Same thing. And Chicago? Roy Williams. Enough said.

15. raiderlyfe510 says: Dec 7, 2011 7:28 PM

Ask Singletary and Matt Millen how firing Mike Martz turned out for them.

16. billinva says: Dec 7, 2011 7:33 PM

I’m bothered by his terrible play calling and arrogance.

17. commandercornpone says: Dec 7, 2011 7:47 PM

the lions went 10-22 with martz as OC.

after marinelli booted him, the lions lost 16 straight.

they may not have won a lot of games that next year with martz as OC, but he knew they had to play balls out on offense to have half a chance to win a game. they didnt, without martz, and the rest is history.

if martz hadnt been there, they wouldnt have megatron either.

18. blackheld says: Dec 7, 2011 7:57 PM

Martz has proven, over his career, that he’s successful…has been successful…only once, that being with the Rams, where he had:

Kurt Warner, QB
    Marshall Faulk, RB
    Tory Holt, WR
    Isaac Bruce, WR
    Orlando Pace, LT

Arguably, five HoF-level offensive starters.

Worth noting, the TEs on that Rams team caught 31 balls for 402 yards. That’s about 5 games for Rob Gronkowski.

So, we’ve learned that if you give Martz enough Hall of Fame talent, he’s a good coach.

But…

Martz also coached the notably less-talented Detroit Lions’ offense to an 0-16 record.

So we can assume the offensive issues in Chicago aren’t Martz’s fault. The Bears have simply failed to give him enough Hall of Fame level players to excel.

Wasn’t that easy?

19. veence69 says: Dec 7, 2011 7:59 PM

He’ll be calling plays for the ‘boys next season anyway.

20. touchdownroddywhite says: Dec 7, 2011 8:56 PM

I hope one day Martz has the perfect confluence of scheme, team and personnel

~~~~~~~

That train sailed when he dropped Kurt Warner

21. fcs34 says: Dec 7, 2011 9:43 PM

Mike Martz is a cancer

22. petehemlock says: Dec 7, 2011 10:04 PM

He should be bothered by that ‘UFL’ that’s written all over him.

23. whitecastleisafoodgroup says: Dec 7, 2011 10:05 PM

So Martz’s philosophy is if Jimmy Johnson is hurt and can’t drive in this weekend’s NASCAR race it’s okay to just have Carrot Top sub for Johnson and everything will be okay, right?

I’m down with that.

24. gameover715 says: Dec 7, 2011 11:30 PM

This just in: Matt Forte “bothered” by the current status of his knee

“Obviously, I plan on being back here and want to be here and I am just going to assume it’s all going to work out so that’s unfortunate. That is the only thing I can tell you.”

25. richieab says: Dec 7, 2011 11:59 PM

tough crowd. Bears were one game away from the superbowl

26. 1920gsh says: Dec 8, 2011 12:55 AM

“welcome to chicago Norv Turner”

—————————-

Dear god, why do people keep calling for Norv Turner to replace Martz as OC? He’s just as bad. Maybe worse.

27. gmen1987 says: Dec 8, 2011 7:28 AM

You usually hear about players who are locker room cancers, Mike Martz is a coach whose a locker room cancer.