Ravens-Chargers remains the prime-time game in Week 15

Denver Broncos v Minnesota Vikings Getty Images

CBS had a chance to protect the Week 15 game between the Broncos and the Patriots from being moved into prime time on the evening of December 18.  CBS didn’t protect the Week 15 game between the Broncos and the Patriots from being moved into prime time on the evening of December 18.

And that’s where the logic collapses like a Jenga tower on the Orca.  The NFL soon will announce that the Ravens-Chargers game currently set for 8:20 p.m. ET on December 18 will remain the Sunday night game.

Multiple reports indicated that NBC wanted to move the Patriots-Broncos game into the evening time slot, but that CBS wanted to not lose another Tebowmania game.  In Week 13, Broncos-Vikings was moved from CBS, due to a lack of 1:00 p.m. ET games on FOX after Lions-Saints moved from the early slot to the evening position.

It’s unknown how the dispute was resolved, and why CBS essentially received a Mulligan after not initially protecting the game from being flexed.  The Denver Post has reported that Patriots owner Robert Kraft was lobbying for the game to stay on CBS.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Denver Broncos, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
32 Responses to “Ravens-Chargers remains the prime-time game in Week 15”
  1. sullijo1 says: Dec 7, 2011 2:03 PM

This is a joke – what, so the announcers can tell us how awesome Phillip Rivers is for 3 hours??? Frankly, how great the 5-7 San Diego Chargers are?

Joke of all jokes!

2. larrydavidstern says: Dec 7, 2011 2:03 PM

The NFL better hope that the Chargers beat the Bills this weekend, otherwise, they will be going into the Ravens game 5-8 with no shot at the playoffs. Thus, making it a huge mistake not to flex the Den/Pats game.

3. sullijo1 says: Dec 7, 2011 2:04 PM

AMERICA wants to see TEBOW!!!!

4. briang123 says: Dec 7, 2011 2:06 PM

I think we are going to start seeing others complain about being flexed now that Kraft has gotten his way. We’ll see of course if they are as powerful as Kraft is.

5. jackfnburton says: Dec 7, 2011 2:07 PM

Uh…okay. Right. As long as they’re still playing both games, I guess the Republic will survive.

6. steelersfansdontevenliveinpittsburgh says: Dec 7, 2011 2:08 PM

Go Ravens!

7. jackfnburton says: Dec 7, 2011 2:10 PM

Oh, and clearly this is evidence that CBS secretly hates Tim Tebow and wants him to fail.

Arise insane, Kool-Aid drunk Tebow Nuts! Boycott…CBS…or NBC…or whoever…did…whatever happened…exactly.

And go to their Twitter account and fill it with idiotic rants in all caps with lots of exclamation points!

And then flood John Elway with emails until the Broncos cut everyone from the team except Tim Tebow and just let him play by himself!

8. blueglaze says: Dec 7, 2011 2:12 PM

I’m not mad because I’ll see both games, but if you’re going to even mention the idea… Do it! Damn what a disappointment… Oh well… Another reason to hate the pats! Haha

9. bwisnasky says: Dec 7, 2011 2:12 PM

Thank you…. Thank you… THANK YOU!

10. rally411 says: Dec 7, 2011 2:14 PM

“The Denver Post has reported that Patriots owner Robert Kraft was lobbying for the game to stay on CBS.”

That’s all the logic one needs. Goodell has decided that protecting his relationship with Kraft and the collective labia majora of the patsies is more important than mega ratings and throwing football fans a bone- you know, doing his job.

NE bitches about traveling West once when teams like SF have traveled East 5 times! If Kraft felt NE was a legitimate SB contender like GB his attitude would be “Any time, any place.” Can’t believe what pu$$ies NE is. Oh wait, yes I can!

11. heyitsmejosh says: Dec 7, 2011 2:15 PM

this is good news for the pats.. they didnt want to play a sunday night game in denver then have to play satuday the next week

12. mataug says: Dec 7, 2011 2:17 PM

NFL Redzone ftw

13. shieldsisland37 says: Dec 7, 2011 2:20 PM

As long as I get to see my beloved Tebow, I am happy. I will watch him at 4am on a friday night. I can not get enough of Tebow. He has Favres will to win, Rodgers discipline, Toby Gerharts legs, and David Garrards delivery. I just absolutely love this kid.

14. weepingjebus says: Dec 7, 2011 2:23 PM

Tebow has a strict 8 pm bedtime.

15. 6ball says: Dec 7, 2011 2:29 PM

We’re missing the ultimate “Al Michael’s Moment ” where he says, “Do you believe in miracles ?” Only this time it’s even more relevant.

16. humbleminded85 says: Dec 7, 2011 2:31 PM

My Ravens fan opinion- Great news!

My honest/non biased opinion- Stupid move. America can’t get enough of Tebowmania and then you add Tom Brady into the picture and this one was a no brainer.

17. nineroutsider says: Dec 7, 2011 2:39 PM

Not a huge deal, but would have rather seen a playoff type game in snowy Denver.

Maybe the Ravens/Chargers game will matter. That AFC West isn’t nowhere near decided.

18. maddogwhite says: Dec 7, 2011 2:52 PM

Glad that NBC kept the Ravens-Chargers game. Maybe now that the Chargers are on prime time they will step up their game like they did Monday night and knock off the Ravens.

Whether the Chargers are alive or not, at least it makes a more competitive game for the Ravens who have gotten a soft prime time schedule (Jags on the road, Niners at home), in addution to the break calls they got in the Bengals and Niners games.

Don’t give them a pass. Make them earn it.

19. bozosforall says: Dec 7, 2011 2:57 PM

rally411 says:
    Dec 7, 2011 2:14 PM

__
    Agreed. Kraft was last seen leaving Goodell’s office with rug burns on his knees and wiping some white residue from his lips.

20. citizenstrange says: Dec 7, 2011 3:06 PM

I would love to see the Ravens lose to the Chargers and then the Steelers beat the Niners on Monday night to move into the AFC top seed spot.

The Steelers have a real shot at winning if their defense can hold the Niners to under 10 points.

21. giablommi says: Dec 7, 2011 3:07 PM

Frankly, why even bother having flexible scheduling if they are not going to put the best available game on next Sunday night?

Don’t get me wrong, I will always be grateful to Mr. Kraft for everything he’s done to save the Patriots franchise and make them an elite organization, but he clearly had a hand in this with his business relationship with CBS. This decision shuts out millions of people from getting this game, including us loyal Patriots fans in PA/NY/NJ who are stuck with an unwatchable Jets/Eagles snoozefest at 4:15 on CBS. Not to mention a San Diego team that’s lost 6 of its last 7 games and could potentially be 5-8 going into next week’s will be the featured prime time matchup?

Guess my only option is to get DirecTV next year because obviously the league can’t be trusted to ensure that I’ll be able to watch decent games.

22. sullijo1 says: Dec 7, 2011 3:41 PM

Next thing they’ll do is flex the other 5-7 AFC West team, KC, into prime time again this season. Like anybody wants to see them get crushed again.

23. mkdave23 says: Dec 7, 2011 3:42 PM

I am a Ravens fan so I’m pretty happy about the decision. That said, it’s a freaking terrible one.

Denver games are just fun to watch right now, and the Patriots have a huge following (of primarily asshats, but still). The chargers could be out of contention by then and the Ravens have all but locked up a berth even though they can’t get it this week. Yes, home playoff games will be at stake, but who cares outside of Ravens fans?

24. grpatriot says: Dec 7, 2011 3:55 PM

While you’re at it thank Kraft for this Season! He doesn’t get with Smith and the Players, still would be in lock-out mode!

25. footballphan says: Dec 7, 2011 4:33 PM

Yeah, for all those people bitching about Kraft and his supposed “power…” Where was your owner when he single-handedly solved the new CBA problems with a dying wife in the intensive care unit everyday???

And by the way–it’s Goodell’s “job” to do what’s best for the teams and the fans….making 4 teams switch up their schedules on Christmas week isn’t exactly fair, is it?

I seriously doubt this was all about Robt.Kraft and his “power” over Roger Goodell. If that were the case, why was Spygate so overblown??

26. heyitsmejosh says: Dec 7, 2011 4:52 PM

it has nothing to do with with krafts relationship with CBS. Kraft is the chairman of the league’s broadcast committee so its his job to get invloved in these matters.

27. seanmmartin says: Dec 7, 2011 5:03 PM

Folks, I write this knowing it will predominantly receive thumbs-down.

Kraft–and by Kraft, I mean Belichick–doesn’t want this on prime time because that will give the broncos even more incentive to play harder. This is just another game for the pats, but it would be EVERYTHING for Denver.

Tebow, Fox, and Elway are trying to prove themselves, and what better stage than Sunday night? Belichick just wants to get out of this week with a win and move along to the playoffs.

I’m a pats fan. I know we have a great offense. But pass rush can screw us. Broncos have the best rush.

28. flipper9494 says: Dec 7, 2011 6:03 PM

I agree with earlier statement. Without Kraft, maybe we’d be watching Extreme Home Makeover instead. Maybe Tebow could build a house in the last 5 minutes.

Relax everyone, both games will be aired and if the Tebow miracle shows up, most of the country will see it over and over and over.

I’m a little Bronco’d out right now. How about a good mix of games and match ups?

Got nothin’ to lose – so Go Bolts!

29. icyhuck says: Dec 7, 2011 6:24 PM

rice is in beastmode ,suggs told him to ball so hard and he is doing it

30. edavidberg says: Dec 7, 2011 6:43 PM

CBS has a double header that week so people should get Denver/NE unless you are a home market for another late game team. Thankfully Chicago plays at noon.

31. patsfiend says: Dec 7, 2011 9:53 PM

@rally411

The Pats are not saving themselves a trip west numb nuts. The location of the game doesn’t change, just the time. The schedule is entirely pre-determined by how the teams finish, anyway. You are so dumb, I feel second-hand dumb just replying to you.

Hopefully Pats will get their “primetime” matchup with Tebowmania in the playoffs, in New England, and our evil hooded master will unleash a whole lot of lucifer on the Broncos.

32. gameshowlover72 says: Dec 13, 2011 1:10 AM

As a Ravens fan, it’s great to see my team play in primetime…especially with the return of Ray Lewis. However, as a football fan, I can see where people want to see the Patriots play the Broncos. This is why I LOVE my NFL Sunday Ticket subscription. I never miss a Ravens game and when the local TV game is a snoozer, I can switch to a more exciting game. Case in point…the local CBS station here in York, PA has the Packers game on. (ZZZZZ). So, after the 1st quarter was over, I switched over to the more competive Bears/Broncos game. THAT game was amazing to say the least!