Jared Allen is not a huge fan of Detroit

Minnesota Vikings defensive end Jared Allen celebrates after he recovers a fumble after sacking Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow in Minneapolis Reuters

Jared Allen said on PFT Live earlier this week that he’d love to beat the Lions, because misery loves company. And the Vikings are pretty miserable right now.

Simply visiting Detroit is enough to put Allen in a bad mood.

“I don’t like going to Detroit,” Allen told KFAN via MLive.com. “I’ll be honest, it’s gloomy, it sucks. Everything is brown and then there is snow on the ground. There’s like Brownstones everywhere and I’m like, ‘Awesome.’ I don’t know, I couldn’t do it. If I had to live in Detroit, I think I’d just drown myself in the river that was across the way.”

Detroit shouldn’t feel too offended. It has good company on the list of cities that Allen doesn’t enjoy.

“I’m not trying to be mean, but it’s just depressing when I go there. There’s two cities like I don’t go out to eat or don’t do anything. It’s Detroit and New Orleans. New Orleans looks like I’m driving through a third-world country every time I get off the plane, I’m like, ‘Oh, flak jacket.’ I’m trying to get down. I’m like, ‘Ah, crap, I can’t carry my gun here. This sucks.'”

Meanwhile, Allen has a goal for the rest of the season. He wants this Vikings team to avoid living in infamy.

“Our goal right now is not to be the worst team in Vikings history,” Allen said. “We need to win two games – one win to tie it, two and two to beat it. That’s our motivation.”

Permalink 84 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill
84 Responses to “Jared Allen is not a huge fan of Detroit”
  1. steelnucs says: Dec 8, 2011 2:47 PM

It would be hilarious if it wasn’t true.
    I guess it’s still hilarious.

2. ironhawk says: Dec 8, 2011 2:49 PM

He’s right. Detroit is a huge embarrassment to the US. I knew a guy from Somalia who literally felt safer back home than when he was in Detroit, and New Orleans was a 3rd world country before the hurricane.

3. rpiotr01 says: Dec 8, 2011 2:49 PM

I’ll give you Detroit, but if you can’t find a single good thing to say about New Orleans there’s something wrong with you. No one is telling him to go explore those old graveyards at midnight, but come on, Frenchmen Street? Mother’s? Lots of good stuff going on in NO.

4. bcb1999 says: Dec 8, 2011 2:51 PM

Wow…talk about the lowest possible incentive for the rest of the season. “Don’t be the worst!”

Hell, Suck for Luck is better than that…

5. playinpossum says: Dec 8, 2011 2:52 PM

hahahaha, not even a Vikings fan but man i love Jared

6. cleverbob says: Dec 8, 2011 2:52 PM

I would prefer to live in New Orleans over Detroit or Minnesota.

7. shaggytoodle says: Dec 8, 2011 2:52 PM

Jared Allen is so old, he was getting cheap shots (Gosder Cherilus?) from Detroit, before the Lions were known for being cheap shot artists.

8. jimmylions says: Dec 8, 2011 2:53 PM

I can understand him being depressed about how Detroit looks – dwontown is rebuilding and a lot of the very cool stuff is only known by the locals.

But New Orleans? He’s crazy!

9. kpow55 says: Dec 8, 2011 2:53 PM

I’m a Detroit fan but that is till funny.

10. vahawker says: Dec 8, 2011 2:53 PM

Not going out the eat in New Orleans is like not going to the beach in the Cayman Islands.

11. touchdownmypants says: Dec 8, 2011 2:54 PM

Detroilet.

12. tenotnamedmiller says: Dec 8, 2011 2:54 PM

He’s just saying what we all mutter.

13. Tim says: Dec 8, 2011 2:54 PM

“Then I go back to Minnesota and I’m all like, ‘oh, cool, there’s trees and stuff, maybe i’ll go hunt or something..”.

14. jessethegreat says: Dec 8, 2011 2:55 PM

This Packers fan can not dislike the guy.

I hate when he’s tormenting our starting qb, but I like everything about him other than the whole Vikings thing. He’s fun, honest, and seems like he’d be a blast to tip a few back with.

I give the Vikings fans crap from time to time, but I would love to have him on my team.

I agree with him 10000000% on the New Orleans thing too. When I was in the Army my Batallion had to pull security and provide aid to the civillians when Katrina hit. I kid you not, the entire Company would have rather been in Afthanistan.

15. claymatthewsisonsteroids says: Dec 8, 2011 2:55 PM

16. whichiwhichwawa says: Dec 8, 2011 2:56 PM

The brown reference was meant for something completely different!

17. earthtopft says: Dec 8, 2011 2:57 PM

Allen is not a huge fan of Detroit. But he is a lot bigger on average than the rest of the world’s population, who are also not fans of Detroit.

18. andyreidisfat says: Dec 8, 2011 2:58 PM

Does anyone else seem to think this country hick ment black people when he said it was “brown”

19. bengalsown says: Dec 8, 2011 2:59 PM

If he lived in Detroit or New Orleans, he’d probably drink a lot.

20. mvp43 says: Dec 8, 2011 2:59 PM

Stafford better watch out for his wiener dude……..here comes Jared!

21. rlca says: Dec 8, 2011 3:00 PM

Come on Rosenthal. Who the hell really cares about Jared Allen’s view of Detroit. Loved his interview this week on PFT Live, but his comments were trashy regarding the city. In fact anyone’s trash talk about another city is just that…trash. Rag on the teams but leave the cities out of it. For godsake this site is suppose to be about FOOTBALL.

22. goodluckking says: Dec 8, 2011 3:00 PM

That’s OK Detroit doesn’t like Allen either.

23. earthtopft says: Dec 8, 2011 3:01 PM

Saying a person is not a huge fan of Detroit isn’t terribly surprising. Probably he isn’t a huge fan of dog poop in the park where he jogs either. Or the guy who broke into his car last week at the parking lot mall. Or radiation poisoning.

24. punkyqb says: Dec 8, 2011 3:01 PM

Talk about 3rd world, I’m working in San Juan PR. this week. Once you get about 6 blocks away from the tourist areas look out!

25. frojo112963 says: Dec 8, 2011 3:01 PM

New Orleans is not a fan of Jared Allen’s either. What a putz!

26. motorcitykitties says: Dec 8, 2011 3:01 PM

Memoirs of an ignorant hillbilly. I’ve been to Minnesota, yeah, it’s paradise.

27. sbxxix says: Dec 8, 2011 3:03 PM

Gotta love filterless players. It’s just straight up entertainment. I think only a guy like Jared Allen can get away with saying stuff like this. If it was “Wrecks” Ryan it would be a different story tho. Just sayin

28. alexexum12 says: Dec 8, 2011 3:03 PM

New Orleans is awesome.

29. wegonnadoitbaby says: Dec 8, 2011 3:04 PM

Other that the people running that Pawn Shop on “Hardcore Pawn’, I don’t know anyone who would want to live in Detroit, Eminem notwithstanding.

Probably not the best idea to say it out loud to the media, but you have to admire the guys consistency. Jared says what he thinks, and it’s usually the unsanitized version. He is quite entertaining, but then again I am easily entertained. It’s always funny when a large NFL player uses the word Wienie. Makes me laugh every time.

30. turk2875 says: Dec 8, 2011 3:09 PM

I hate Miami with all it’s beautiful girls, and soothing beaches, and those damn palm trees just sicken along with that god awful weather. I know exactelly what you mean Jared.

31. blackngoldsuperbowl says: Dec 8, 2011 3:09 PM

Thats not what the 8 million vistors to NOLA said this year.

But if I got my a”” kicked in the 09 NFCCG and opening night of ’10 season, I guess i would have hard feelings too.

BTW, what is there to do in Minnesota??

32. brownsfn says: Dec 8, 2011 3:09 PM

He’s not lying…and before anybody says anything just because I’m a browns fan doesnt mean I am from Cleveland…i’m from NY…

33. modown0 says: Dec 8, 2011 3:09 PM

Maybe he should go to a 3rd world country before comparing New Orleans to one.

34. blackngoldsuperbowl says: Dec 8, 2011 3:13 PM

Another thing, why does NOLA have SO MANY HOME PRIMETIME GAMES, and has hosted so many SB’xs, including next years…… OH its because people LOVE coming to this city AND its a money maker

35. ctiggs says: Dec 8, 2011 3:25 PM

I love detroit honestly although i used to live in oakland county, it is a good city yea it has bad areas but what city doesnt. i now live in L A if it wasn’t for the weather id pick detroit over these fake hollywood types any day of the week.

36. canadianvikingfaniii says: Dec 8, 2011 3:28 PM

Jared I wouldn’t drown yourself in the Detroit river either. It is disgusting as well.

37. gassiusclay says: Dec 8, 2011 3:29 PM

New Orleans is awesome! I don’t know what Allen is talking about. I will agree about Detroit though.

38. caffeene says: Dec 8, 2011 3:35 PM

Gosder… aim for the other knee.

39. michiganhockey11 says: Dec 8, 2011 3:51 PM

Have the people in this board have probably never been to Detroit. The only thing you know of Detroit is what the news shows you. Pathetic.

Jared, there is so much more to this city than what you see on tv. Come visit and prove us wrong.

The NHL called, they want your mullet back.

40. imjinbrdgr says: Dec 8, 2011 3:54 PM

He can’t stand that theres snow on the ground as opposed to all those palm trees and hula girls all winter long in Minnesota.

41. michiganhockey11 says: Dec 8, 2011 3:59 PM

That being said, I hope the Lions make you eat your words on Sunday.

42. purpleisreallypinkyouknow says: Dec 8, 2011 4:00 PM

What a way to get some warm welcomes the next couple times to town…smart. Anyone gooing to spot the odds on how many C batteries come his way next time he’s on Ford Field? Coming from a guy who is sitting at a practice field in the Twin Cities where it’s currently gray, snowy, and 7 degrees outside. He’s as smart as the coaster my Coke is sitting on right now.

I’m hoping someone from the Lions fires back about how asinine he looks out there roping up ghost cattle when his team is getting their arse handed them each week….what a donkey.

43. megatronownsyou says: Dec 8, 2011 4:01 PM

What a complete idiot. And does he realize that Minnesota may very well be the worst place in the country to live in the winter? Nice haircut though.
    I understand why he would be angry and frustrated because of the type of season they’ve had but keep your moronic opinions to yourself please Jared. No one cares what you think about Detroit.

44. ronaldmexico says: Dec 8, 2011 4:02 PM

Entertaining comments from Allen, who was just expressing his opinion. Players and coaches are sometimes criticized for giving bland, rote answers in interviews and others pile on if someone gives an honest response – just can’t please everyone.

Lion fans should be more concerned with whether Nate Burleson will set some sort of record with more PI penalties this week.

45. primetime0552 says: Dec 8, 2011 4:03 PM

shaggytoodle says:Dec 8, 2011 2:52 PM

=========================

Yep, right after Allen went after Kitnas knees. Jared Allen is a cheap shot artist, so no complaining when it happens to him. I remember him getting up trying to run after Gosder. He had 2 or 3 sacks after that incident I believe.haha

46. lionsplayoffs says: Dec 8, 2011 4:06 PM

Let’s hope Jared doesn’t decide to drive anywhere while he’s in Detroit this weekend. The roads will be safer and he won’t pick up his 4th DUI.

47. juliusanonymous says: Dec 8, 2011 4:07 PM

Seriously, Jared? You don’t go out or eat in New Orleans? That city is considered one of the finest culinary destinations on the Continent. You could argue New York, but it’s a distant runner-up. Mexico City is pretty astounding as well, but it still doesn’t hold a candle to NOLA. I’ve traveled all over the world, and New Orleans ranks in the Top 3 cities anywhere when it comes to fine cuisine. As for the nightlife, you do realize there’s more to NOLA than just Bourbon St right? I think NOLA’s night life is right up there with San Francisco and New York, it’s a bit more varied though and full of interesting eccentric folks. But you know how it is with these ignorant country hicks, they’re afraid of anyone who isn’t white and doesn’t own a big ol’ pickup with a gun rack in the rear window.

Jared Allen may be a good football player, but he’s an ignorant bigoted hick with zero culture. His opinion of anything beyond football means about as much to me as Sandusky’s opinions about proper parenting.

48. rayguyreturns says: Dec 8, 2011 4:10 PM

I ran out of fingers and toes counting how many times he used the word “like” in this interview. Not one of them was a simile either.

49. whathappenedtovox says: Dec 8, 2011 4:19 PM

New Orleans?!?!?!? Went to New Orleans for my bachelor party. Most fun weekend ever. Apparently, Jared Allen hates awesomesauce.

50. gvoze says: Dec 8, 2011 4:26 PM

Jared Allen’s Vikings are 2-10. He butt hurt.

51. Little Earthquake says: Dec 8, 2011 4:27 PM

Scared of Detroit, New Orleans, Green Bay and San Juan? You guys are a bunch of pansies. You need to get out more. Just because a city doesn’t have a string of Chipotles and Costcos doesn’t mean you’re going to get mugged when you step off the plane.

52. alldayvikings says: Dec 8, 2011 4:30 PM

“There’s like Brownstones everywhere”

I was listening to it on the radio last night and he said “brown snow everywhere”. Sorry to correct…

53. d3murf says: Dec 8, 2011 4:30 PM

Anyone who can’t have fun in New Orleans might be a little fruity. Hell even fruity people can get it in New Orleans style. New Orleans has some of the most beautiful creative people in the US. I love when the Saints come to Atlanta and bring their fans. (Especially the women) I don’t care about residential areas–as long as the French Quarter or Bourbon Street has women!

Jared is too busy punching other mens jocks to see this. Anybody like women on this site? Judging by the thumbs downs – Maybe not?!?! Give this post a thumbs down if you’re certified fruity and don’t need to bee in Green Bay to get “Packed”..

54. upyoursnfu says: Dec 8, 2011 5:10 PM

Detroit….could be worse. It could be Cleveland

55. patfic15 says: Dec 8, 2011 5:13 PM

Hey Jared,
    We ve enjoyed you these last few years.
    Love
    Saints fans…

Thanks again for the ring.

56. footballhistorian says: Dec 8, 2011 5:14 PM

I was born in Detroit and spent many summers there in the early 60’s. It USED to be a nice city. It is a war zone and has been for many years. Go to google and search “Detroit, west end”. Dudes post videos of how terrible the place is (while they’re driving around). Really sad…thanks Coleman Young…

57. tfsteven says: Dec 8, 2011 5:16 PM

Remember when Allen had a big game in New Orleans to send the Vikings to the Super Bowl in ’09?

Me neither.

Strap that flak jacket on you ugly redneck punk cause the Whodats are coming to get you in 2 weeks!

58. relmer403 says: Dec 8, 2011 5:20 PM

How ironic, guess who else hates snow Jared Allen….. the METRODOME!!!

59. joker65 says: Dec 8, 2011 5:29 PM

Jared hasn’t been to Buffalo yet, huh?

60. pgui88 says: Dec 8, 2011 5:35 PM

Didn’t he play at Idaho St? Maybe he’s just not used to seeing people in cars.

61. MossMoon2Packers says: Dec 8, 2011 5:38 PM

@ blackngoldsuperbowl who said “… But if I got my a”” kicked in the 09 NFCCG…”

And that’s not just my opinion. ESPN was highly critical of the officiating, too.

62. johntonioholmes says: Dec 8, 2011 5:41 PM

Has he been to Cleveland?

63. johntonioholmes says: Dec 8, 2011 5:44 PM

@tfsteven,

I’m not a Vikings fan, nor am I a Jared Allen fan, but if I remember correctly, the Saints had something like 40 yards in the second half because of the Vikings defensive front.

Maybe I’m wrong about the totals, but I know the Saints weren’t able to do much against that D. They essentially lucked out by 16 fumbles from the Vikes.

64. packfan1 says: Dec 8, 2011 5:53 PM

Hes hilarious…a tool at times, but hilarious none the less. And hes right about detroit…i live there…total dump!

65. cbrady2k says: Dec 8, 2011 5:54 PM

Top things to do in Detroit;

1. Watch Robocop
    2. Set a fire in the street
    3. Guard your perimeter
    4. Watch Robocop again

66. patfic15 says: Dec 8, 2011 6:04 PM

“Every one who isn’t an idiot or blind knows that, despite the 5 Vikings turnovers (most unforced) in the 2009 NFCCG, the Vikings gained twice the yards of the Saints and the Vikings would have won going-away if not for the incompetent and/or biased officiating. There were at least 7 or 8 terrible call/non-calls, all going against the Vikings.”

—and Favre could have held off on that INT…but he didnt.

67. gb4mn0 says: Dec 8, 2011 6:18 PM

It’s curious that he took a swipe at N.O. and Detroit but not GB. Maybe he’s sending a message to Ted Thompson that he’d like a ring before he retires. He knows he’s not going to get one playing for a team that’s akin to a 3rd world country.

68. ahs2 says: Dec 8, 2011 7:03 PM

Too bad Detroit gets such a bad rap, there’s some really cool places to see there; definitely worth a weekend trip for the Detroit/Windsor experience…

69. sf69ers says: Dec 8, 2011 7:24 PM

25% of students who enter high school in Detroit finish with a diploma. Marshall Mathers is a prime example of the education system there

70. edge121 says: Dec 8, 2011 8:39 PM

Lions fan here, and I agree with Jared, it’s gloomy as all hell here. I had a buddy go down to do security for the National Guard when Katrina hit and he summed the place up the same way.

He’s just being honest. Don’t like that he’s a Viking, but the guy tells it like it is, likes to hunt and throw back beers, so he’s OK in my book.

That said, go Lions!

71. motownlion says: Dec 8, 2011 8:42 PM

Allens a punk. Don’t really care about his opinion.
    At least Detroit gave him a place to play last year when his 20+ year old stadium roof caved in.

Wonder what he’ll think of L.A. when his team relocates there since Minnesota can’t seem to find a way to build the Vikings a stadium.

It will happen, just ask the Minnesota North Stars and the Minnesota Lakers. Oh, that’s right, you can’t since they are now the Dallas Stars and have been the L.A. Lakers.

Go to Borics and get that hot mop chopped off your head. Fool!

72. brewdogg says: Dec 8, 2011 9:13 PM

blackngoldsuperbowl says:
    Dec 8, 2011 3:09 PM
    Thats not what the 8 million vistors to NOLA said this year.

BTW, what is there to do in Minnesota??
    ——————————————-

So is there a visitor registry in NO? Is there a book you have to sign or something? I’m just wondering how these numbers come up. What criteria is used to determine how many “visitors” an area sees in a year?

As far as what there is to do in Minnesota…. If you need car exhaust, neon lights, and alcohol around you at all times in order to have fun, then Minnesota is not for you. Stay in NO. If you are capable of having fun without large crowds of strangers and intoxication, you can have a lot of fun in Minnesota. I understand that some people require an altered state of consciousness in order to consider it a good time, though. It’s a culture thing…..

73. raider23mike says: Dec 8, 2011 10:19 PM

Well he grew up a Raiders fan..

I remember hearing from the commentators how big a Raiders fan he was growing up. During the chiefs/Raiders rival games

74. axespray says: Dec 8, 2011 11:28 PM

claymatthewsisonsteroids says:Dec 8, 2011 2:55 PM
    “I would have to say going to Green Bay would be much worse… There is cornfields, and oh yeah, more cornfields. I guess I would probably buy non-stock packer stock if I lived in that terrible town.”
    ———————-
    and what’s in minnesota?
    ice and more ice, then some people that can’t drive a vehicle properly to save their lives….
    It’s better to live in a town with pretty good neighborhoods/schools and a team to be proud of.

75. str82dvd says: Dec 9, 2011 6:50 AM

I wonder what these formally great cities have in common. Simply no connection can be made here.

76. deconjonesbitchslap says: Dec 9, 2011 9:17 AM

know what’s even funnier than his comments? Lions fans still predicting a superbowl this year.

77. lionsfanatic84 says: Dec 9, 2011 10:17 AM

Hey Jared, just stay home then, and when your roof caves in again on your outdated building, in the city that doesn’t even want your team, don’t look for Detroit to help you out again. Maybe you should get a new Teddy bear to sleep with

78. enutpenfry says: Dec 9, 2011 11:17 AM

Do you know who is from Detroit? Jerome Bettis. Little-known fact, which is probably why PFT didn’t mention it.

79. devin2387 says: Dec 9, 2011 6:07 PM

Wow out of all people this guy is running his mouth??? lol he should be happy he gets to come out of his little hick town and go to a REAL city. He should try and get as happy as he can get, because he’s not going to be happy after the game when the Lions stomp them….

80. devin2387 says: Dec 9, 2011 6:13 PM

One more thing, this guy is talking trash about Detroit, but yet his city can’t even build a decent stadium roof! lol and even after that, now their stadium is outdated! and they have to build a new one now or they’ll transfer the team to LA. Jared Allen should be worried about that, because they can barley afford a brand new stadium, and LA is alot worse than he thinks Detroit is….

Come talk to us when you have a winning record Jared. Until then, shut your mouth.

81. tarheelpirate says: Dec 9, 2011 7:35 PM

Jared Allen HATES breathalyzer tests.

82. randomjim says: Dec 9, 2011 9:40 PM

modown0 says:
    Dec 8, 2011 3:09 PM
    Maybe he should go to a 3rd world country before comparing New Orleans to one.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Allen has gone to visit the troops in Afghanistan, so he has been to poor countries.

====================================
    motownlion says:
    Dec 8, 2011 8:42 PM
    Allens a punk. Don’t really care about his opinion.

megatronownsyou says:
    Dec 8, 2011 4:01 PM
    ……… keep your moronic opinions to yourself please Jared. No one cares what you think about Detroit.

If you don’t really care then why bother to respond ?????????????

83. nowillrepeat says: Dec 10, 2011 9:29 PM

Nola is the greatest city on earth!! Allen is a punk

84. bcar1023 says: Dec 11, 2011 6:15 AM

Which city is it that can’t seem to build stadiums or bridges that remain in tact? Jared, newsflash, you’re a ape drape wearing redneck from Dallas. I wouldn’t expect you to be able to handle snow tough guy. Steers n queers. Lol