Jerod Mayo hit with $25,000 fine for hit on Dan Orlovsky

Jerod Mayo, Jacob Tamme AP

Patriots linebacker Jerod Mayo landed a big hit on Colts quarterback Dan Orlovsky last Sunday and the league laid down some punishment for it this week.

According to the league, Mayo has been fined $25,000 because he “struck the opposing quarterback in the head and neck area.” The officials in the Patriots’ 31-24 victory saw nothing wrong with Mayo’s actions as Mayo was never flagged for unnecessary roughness during the contest, but the league saw things differently.

On the hit in question, Mayo’s helmet definitely made contact with Orlovsky’s helmet and players have been flagged for much less this season. Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald has a shot of the play taken from the CBS broadcast of the game which, while blurry, clearly shows Mayo making contact high on Orlovsky.

We’ve all gotten used to the somewhat haphazard assessment of penalties and fines for hits like this, but it would be nice to hear a bit more explanation from the league about why this is a $25,000 offense and Trent Cole’s after the whistle shenanigans against the Seahawks, for example, only constitute a $7,500 penalty.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
27 Responses to “Jerod Mayo hit with $25,000 fine for hit on Dan Orlovsky”
  1. ryan7977 says: Dec 9, 2011 4:12 PM

they should also fine reality for hitting colts fans square in the face.

go ahead, hit the thumbs down button horsey fans

2. sbxxix says: Dec 9, 2011 4:15 PM

Where does all the money from the fines go? It’s almost as bad as the private prison investors lol.

3. deepseabreeze says: Dec 9, 2011 4:16 PM

does orlovsky have the worst winning percentage of all time for a starting qb?

4. deepseabreeze says: Dec 9, 2011 4:16 PM

he really put some Mayo on that Orlovsky

5. unbreakable02215 says: Dec 9, 2011 4:17 PM

Christmas is getting close. NFL likes to up its
    giving to charities this time of year. Which in all seriousness is a nice gesture.

6. profootballwalk says: Dec 9, 2011 4:18 PM

Mayo is in that photo?

7. dacapt704 says: Dec 9, 2011 4:28 PM

Next time just rip the flag off his waist and he will be declared down by contact

8. dynast77 says: Dec 9, 2011 4:28 PM

Does anyone really care who got fined how much and for what? I can’t stand all the legal debate before, during, and after games lately. Is this football or a full-contact court case? I’m not at all interested in following the latter.

9. theglap says: Dec 9, 2011 4:32 PM

The league is becoming a shell of what made it great.

I may be done when my team’s current crop of young players are done.

Then I’ll go into coaching kids, and teach them how football is meant to be played. Violently, passionately, and at 100% speed.

10. weepingjebus says: Dec 9, 2011 4:32 PM

The league reminds me of a city overrun with automatic traffic cameras. They claim it’s about safety, but really it’s about revenue.

11. thingamajig says: Dec 9, 2011 4:33 PM

No flag on the field should equal no fine by the NFL.

12. johntonioholmes says: Dec 9, 2011 4:36 PM

Jerod Mayo is a repeat offender.

Why isn’t anyone asking if he will be suspended?

Oh that’s right; the media doesn’t have a target on his back.

13. eabeaj says: Dec 9, 2011 4:37 PM

Well, you know, those superstar quarterbacks have to be protected…

14. j0esixpack says: Dec 9, 2011 4:38 PM

Can we just create a PFT separate feature like the PFT Police Blotter to list the fines?

It’s barely even news any more – just the cost of doing business in the NFL.

15. safetypolice says: Dec 9, 2011 4:39 PM

This guy is a repeat offender. He should get a 1 game suspension because he clearly isn’t getting the picture.

16. norcalmafia says: Dec 9, 2011 4:45 PM

Whats next is the NFL gonna start flagging the mascots for excessive celebrations?

17. tfaulk says: Dec 9, 2011 4:48 PM

I don’t see any reason to question the difference in fines. Hasn’t Mayo not only been one of the most repeat offenders but one of the most obvious and persistent offenders?

18. johntonioholmes says: Dec 9, 2011 5:16 PM

I love that everyone didn’t like my comment. I don’t think he should be suspended; I’m just pointing out the clear hypocrisy of the media.

19. aljack88 says: Dec 9, 2011 6:03 PM

tfaulk says:
    Dec 9, 2011 4:48 PM
    ————————————————————
    I’ll perceive that there is sarcasm in your statement. Mayo has been one of the league leaders in tackles during his career and I can only remember him being fined 1 time before. That was last year against the Bills when he was fined $10,000 for an “illegal hit”. The “commish” nor anyone in the NFL would identify which hit was the illegal one from that game. I do believe that PFT even had an article on that.

20. bozosforall says: Dec 9, 2011 6:18 PM

ryan7977 says:
    Dec 9, 2011 4:12 PM
    they should also fine reality for hitting colts fans square in the face.

go ahead, hit the thumbs down button horsey fans

__
    If that would be the case, they should fine New England sports fans for being the biggest wusses on the planet.

Go ahead, hit the thumbs down button idiot Pats fan losers.

21. bozosforall says: Dec 9, 2011 6:19 PM

dacapt704 says:
    Dec 9, 2011 4:28 PM

__
    If Mayo had sacked his own QB, the fine would have been double.

22. bozosforall says: Dec 9, 2011 6:21 PM

johntonioholmes says:
    Dec 9, 2011 5:16 PM

__
    They don’t like your comment because they are Pats crybaby fans.

23. bozosforall says: Dec 9, 2011 7:16 PM

See what I mean, johntonionholmes…it’s not you, it’s them. The biggest crybabies on the planet.

Watch….

24. backindasaddle says: Dec 9, 2011 8:05 PM

The hit should not have been fined. Mayo led with his shoulder, and hit the QB just below the head. Orlovski’s head did snap back but it’s just incidental of taking a straight on sack high in the chest. Did Mayo’s helmut strike the QB’s???….maybe. It was a camera angle from behind the QB so it was difficult to tell. But if you look at the form and the shoulder-first way Mayo hit him….I find it absolutely ludicrous for him to be find. A couple of other things: He was not flagged on it so the refs thought it was clean. I watched the hit at least 5 times on DVR right after it happened. My conclusion is that it’s possible that helmuts may have hit….but at worst it was a glancing blow. Regardless, he should not be fined because everything about that hit was text book perfect. He led with his shoulder and it was obvious he was not trying to decapitate the QB. This fining business has gotten completely out of control.

25. j0esixpack says: Dec 9, 2011 11:21 PM

I hope Mayo finally wakes up and learns the lesson that the NFL is sending with the Seymour and Mayo fines.

For just $5,000 more, Mayo can just walk up to any QB in the league and punch them right in the face.

Gotta love Goodell.

26. tbih says: Dec 10, 2011 4:39 PM

Yea, like the refs are going to call the Pats for actual penalties.

That’s hilarious.

27. jimmylions says: Dec 11, 2011 5:44 AM

This thread would generate 5 times as many comments if it was about Suh. When anyone else gets fined, people just yawn.