Trent Richardson says he’s undecided, sounds ready for NFL draft

Alabama v Auburn Getty Images

Alabama running back Trent Richardson says he hasn’t decided yet whether he’ll return to school or enter the NFL draft. But he sounds like he expects to be a pro next year.

In an interview on SportsCenter this morning, Richardson noted that he’s already close to earning his degree from Alabama, which he said was one of his primary goals.

“I ain’t got nothing but a few hours left to graduate,” Richardson said.

Richardson also said that he wants to take care of his mother and two daughters.

“I’m going to sit down with coach [Nick] Saban and make that decision with my mom. I do have two little girls — it’s time for them to have whatever they want,” Richardson said. “I’m going to do what’s best for me and do what’s best for my little girls.”

Richardson said he expects to seek the opinion from the NFL draft advisory board. It would be shocking if they told him anything other than that he’s a surefire first-round pick. Richardson is widely regarded as a better pro prospect than his former Alabama backfield mate, Mark Ingram, who was drafted 28th overall by the Saints this year.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Trent Richardson says he’s undecided, sounds ready for NFL draft”
  1. mvpolamalu says: Dec 10, 2011 11:26 AM

The only reason he would not be a top ten pick would be that those teams dont need a running back. Dude is going to be a stud.

2. mjbulls45 says: Dec 10, 2011 11:28 AM

Dear Trent Richardson…

have you watched the game tape on yourself?

yes you are ready, and yes you are a beast , and yes you will be drafted high and yes you will be a beast in the NFL.

case closed.

3. theharshestreality says: Dec 10, 2011 11:31 AM

DUH! The guy has two kids already – even Alabama (maybe Texas or USC) doesn’t pay enough to cover for that. He’s as good as gone.

4. realitypolice says: Dec 10, 2011 11:35 AM

He would be crazy to stay. Running backs careers are short enough as it is.

Go get your money, young man. You can always go back for your degree.

5. fittytuckin says: Dec 10, 2011 11:35 AM

I really see nothing special about his skill set. He’s a big powerful runner, but you can find those a dime a dozen in later rounds. The runningback position has devalued over the years. The only way I’d take one the first round is if he is Adrian Peterson 2.0. A 220 lb’er with 4.3 speed.

6. whatsafairway says: Dec 10, 2011 11:36 AM

“I ain’t got nothing but a few hours left to graduate,” Richardson said.

Obviously an English major.

7. paleandpasty says: Dec 10, 2011 11:36 AM

Hopefully with his few hours left remaining someone teaches him to not use the word ain’t

8. wegonnadoitbaby says: Dec 10, 2011 11:36 AM

Running Backs always need to go when they are projected to be drafted anywhere in the first three rounds.

The risk of injury is to high, AND the short shelf life of NFL running backs dictate starting to get paid as soon as possible.

9. thingamajig says: Dec 10, 2011 11:39 AM

“I do have two little girls — it’s time for them to have whatever they want,” Richardson said. “I’m going to do what’s best for me and do what’s best for my little girls.”

Yup, sounds ready for the NFL to me.

10. wryly1 says: Dec 10, 2011 11:47 AM

” I ain’t got…”, sounds just like you’d expect from a college grad, doesn’t it?

11. seneca1ss says: Dec 10, 2011 12:01 PM

Buccaneers gotta draft him. Blount is a situational RB and can’t block

12. luckyarmpit says: Dec 10, 2011 12:17 PM

“I ain’t got nothing…”

Sounds like you need that last year of college and take those English 101 classes you obviously skipped.

13. bowens3181 says: Dec 10, 2011 12:32 PM

fittytuckin says:
    Dec 10, 2011 11:35 AM
    ____________________________________

If you see nothing special about his skill set you either don’t know anything about football or you haven’t really been watching his games. The funny thing is that Richardson is 224 lbs. and runs a 4.4 40′, which you stated is the only type of RB you’d take in the first round. Maybe it’s time to get your facts straight.

14. norcal031 says: Dec 10, 2011 12:49 PM

Trent all I gotta remind you is that Michael Bush was supposed to be the number one pick took his leg looked like a chicken bone when I’m done with it.

15. 11wheatd says: Dec 10, 2011 1:45 PM

Montee Ball > Trent Richardson.

Stats don’t lie people.

16. sasquash20 says: Dec 10, 2011 2:08 PM

Kid looks great. The only thing I would worry about is if it was more his o-line or him or both. He has had a good line, but I feel he runs well with in his blocking. I don’t know if I would put him higher then Ingram though.

17. rabidbillsfan says: Dec 10, 2011 3:03 PM

Thank you Bowens, for clearing that up for him. Trent will probably be the closet thing to AP since AP. He will always break the first tackle, or make the first guy miss. His burst for his size is unreal, he can break the big ones. I think he will go in the top-15 picks, which is sad, I think a guy like him could do wonders on a team like the Bengals. However I see one of these teams picking him up: Rams, Bucs, or Browns.

@11wheated

Competion, however, doesn’t lie. SEC D’s are better and more balanced throughout the confrence than the Big 10

18. realitypolice says: Dec 10, 2011 3:36 PM

11wheatd says:
    Dec 10, 2011 1:45 PM
    Montee Ball > Trent Richardson.

Stats don’t lie people.
    ==================

Sure they do.

I’d be willing to be there are 20 RBs in college football this year that could put up monster stats running through the gigantic holes opened up by the Badgers O-line.

And the quality of competition is not exactly comparable either.

If stats are all that matter, I guess LaMichael James, Bobby Rainey, and Ronnie Hillman are all better than Ball AND Richardson.

19. Soulman45 says: Dec 10, 2011 4:43 PM

If I was a GM running backs would not be a first round pick get a O-line that is great and I can be the back,it a reason you can find a back off the street it take blocking to make a back good.

20. veence69 says: Dec 10, 2011 5:42 PM

Get that degree, then get that NFL signing bonus. Take care of your girls, Trent.

We look forward to seeing you on Sundays.

21. veence69 says: Dec 10, 2011 5:44 PM

Btw: Montee Ball couldn’t hold Trent Richardson’s jock.

22. rugdaniels says: Dec 10, 2011 6:59 PM

I don’t know where Richardson’s projected to go, but if he falls to the Giants I’d love to see them take the guy. Jacobs probably isn’t coming back next year and Bradshaw’s health is a concern.

The Giants could do w/ an O-linemen or LB too, but I think it’d be worth taking Trent if they can get him.

23. mac3333 says: Dec 10, 2011 7:18 PM

““I ain’t got nothing but a few hours left to graduate,” Richardson said.”

Must be an English major …

24. mac3333 says: Dec 10, 2011 7:20 PM

I think the Bengals should go up to get Richardson. (They have the picks to make it happen) He’s the perfect fit for that offense. Can run hard between the tackles and is excellent catching the football.

Dalton + Gresham +Green + Richardson would be a MONSTER in the future.

25. rabidbillsfan says: Dec 10, 2011 7:40 PM

@rugdaniels

I would be begging everybody who finishes ahead of the Giants to take this guy, that way thats one less guy to take Vontaze Burfict. If Burfict makes it to the G-men, and they pass, that would be the biggest mistake of the draft IMO. Burfict behind Osi, Tuck, JPP and Canty would just be nuts.

26. cornersportsnet says: Dec 10, 2011 8:54 PM

Hes gone ,why stay in college with your degree in hand a millions of dollars on the table,only a dummy would stay in school

27. saints25 says: Dec 10, 2011 10:00 PM

““I ain’t got nothing but a few hours left to graduate,” Richardson said.”
    ______________________________________________________________________
    You damn Gump’sWTH,this kid “will never come close to being AP”…Get out here with that Junk..

……..65% of Alabama football players dont get degrees(fact).An dont forgot they did have a “Alabama grad” call a radio show an told everybody his “name” an told them he killed two tree’s at auburn campus an now facing 10yr’s in jail!!!!!,Gumpvillie has put a question on their education..

28. hml1988 says: Dec 11, 2011 12:24 AM

So, I posted on this, with no profanity, and defended Richardson’s abilities, and that gets deleted (because I said some of our posters couldn’t make Kool-Aid because they can’t figure out how to get two quarts of water into one of those little packs).

But people can make fun of folks who have died (i.e., on the 1994 Chargers thread) and those posts get to stay?

Unfair.

At any rate, give me Richardson over Ball any day. All you anti-SEC guys can say what you want, but I’ll take Richardson running through SEC defenses over Ball running against Big 10 D.

29. rudwo says: Dec 11, 2011 5:12 AM

saints25 says:
    Dec 10, 2011 10:00 PM

_____________________________________

You sure put whatever education you didn’t get to good use.

30. trollhammer20 says: Dec 11, 2011 11:20 AM

“I ain’t got nothing but a few hours left to graduate,” Richardson said.
    ____________________________

The University of Alabama: Trying really hard to build academic programs the football team can take pride in.