Da’Quan Bowers says he’s showing teams they made a mistake

Cam Newton,  Da'Quan Bowers,  Mason Foster,  Sean Jones AP

Buccaneers rookie defensive end Da’Quan Bowers is coming off his best game, and he says he’s demonstrating that the pre-draft buzz about him was wrong.

Once viewed as a potential first overall pick in the 2011 NFL draft, Bowers ended up going 51st overall, mostly because of concerns that his knees would cut his career short. Bowers has played in all 12 games this year, and he thinks he’s put those health concerns to rest.

“I think people are starting to realize that they made a mistake [by not drafting me earlier],” Bowers told the Tampa Tribune. “But you know what? Everyone else’s mistake is Tampa’s gain. It’s a lovely situation that I’m in here with the Bucs, and I wouldn’t change it for the world. I hope this is where I start and end my career as a football player.”

It’s too soon to say all the other teams made a mistake on Bowers: He only moved into the starting lineup two weeks ago, and he didn’t get to the quarterback until last week, when he had 1.5 sacks in the Bucs’ loss to the Panthers. And just because Bowers hasn’t suffered a knee injury yet doesn’t mean team medical staffs were wrong to be concerned.

So Bowers has a ways to go before he has really proven that the teams that passed on him made a mistake. But Sunday’s 1.5-sack effort was a big step in that direction.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
11 Responses to “Da’Quan Bowers says he’s showing teams they made a mistake”
  1. waine06 says: Dec 11, 2011 8:03 AM

I wish him luck. He was a great player at Clemson until injuries got to him.

2. EJ says: Dec 11, 2011 8:30 AM

The injuries will come back, they never go away for good.

3. brasho says: Dec 11, 2011 8:33 AM

He was a great player at Clemson his entire last season, injured or not.

It’s worth noting that along with his 1.5 sacks he had 5 tackles for loss and 8 tackles total. He’s probably the only player on the Tampa D that was actually playing well.

4. vikes69 says: Dec 11, 2011 8:38 AM

i was pissed when the vikings passed him up in the second round. they didnt need another TE but rudolph has helped alot

5. seneca1ss says: Dec 11, 2011 8:46 AM

Bowers started after Michael Bennett’s injury (Too Bad) because Da’Quan isn’t giving the job back

6. urteamsux52 says: Dec 11, 2011 9:06 AM

really injuries catch up with you willis mcghee two three knee surgeries and he is still runnning. bowers is and deserves the best go bucs sorry misspelling pleasing wife with sunday morning champagne in bed with vistiting thong on she has 31 teams thongs wont out bucs thing in her butt not right licking ur team on panties

7. jc1958cool says: Dec 11, 2011 9:11 AM

he should pat himself on the back! pro bowler?
    lmao

8. mialto says: Dec 11, 2011 9:21 AM

I truly hope this special kid stays healthy and successful in tampa and nfl.

9. emoney12 says: Dec 11, 2011 9:28 AM

Let’s not forget Da’Quan, you were Tampa’s second pick. So they passed you over too.

10. nflfollower says: Dec 11, 2011 9:40 AM

I wish him luck, hate to see an exciting player with injuries, and I was pulling for my team to get him in the 2nd round although they obviously didn’t.

But objectively speaking, if you have to come out in the press and proclaim verbally that you are proving teams wrong that passed on you….. that means your play isn’t speaking loud enough. At least not yet—which is understandable coming off microfracture surgery. I wouldn’t expect him to be 100% until next year. Good luck Da’Quan.

11. pjamdragon says: Dec 11, 2011 10:49 AM

Bowers will be good as long as football is important to him. As for the injuries, totally overblown. Just about every player in the league has been injured. including guys like Ray Lewis, Tom Brady, Wes Welker, etc… it’s part of the game. He led ALL of college in sacks on a “bad” knee. That’s a plus, not a minus.