Tom Brady: “I deserved it”

Brady calls timeout during the first half of their NFL football game against the Washington Redskins in Landover, Maryland AP

By now, everyone has probably seen Tom Brady and his offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien getting after it on the sideline Sunday.  You may have even seen the obligatory makeup man hug at the end of the game.

After Brady had time to cool down, he laughed off the yelling match.

“I threw a pretty bad interception so he wasn’t happy about it,” Brady said. “It was probably a long line of coaches and players that were pretty pissed at me after that, but Billy got to me first and he let me have it. I deserved it . . . We’re both pretty emotional guys.

“That’s what I deserve. You make bad plays, you’re supposed to get yelled at by your coaches. Certainly not the first time and probably won’t be the last. Can’t do it in that situation and it was just a stupid play by me.”

That’s the perfect answer, which we’ve come to expect from Brady. He did his very best to make it a non-story.

Tom Curran of CSNNE.com wonders if Brady is getting wound a little too tight in his later years. Brady certainly is more willing to chew out his receivers after a mistake. It happened a number of times Sunday.

This wasn’t Brady’s best day either despite good numbers. That was probably the biggest reason for Brady’s blow-up.

“It’s football, man. It’s emotion. That’s athletics,” Brady explained.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 66 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
66 Responses to “Tom Brady: “I deserved it””
  1. buckeye044 says: Dec 11, 2011 8:37 PM

Yes, Brady never does anything wrong.

2. finsfrenzy says: Dec 11, 2011 8:38 PM

He knows that windows closing…….

3. bearsrulepackdrool says: Dec 11, 2011 8:40 PM

They need to be yelling at the defense like that.

4. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Dec 11, 2011 8:41 PM

Probably won’t be his last. Always aiming for greatness haha

5. 8man says: Dec 11, 2011 8:42 PM

finsfrenzy says:
    Dec 11, 2011 8:38 PM
    He knows that windows closing…….
    ————————————————

It’s closing for all of us. None of us are getting younger AND better.

6. lunarpie says: Dec 11, 2011 8:42 PM

Geee, I guess that wasn’t you who was yelling back at your coach was it Tom? Washington stinks and you barely won that game. Your year will end with the first round of the playoffs.
    No more cameras to film the other team’s signals has indeed changed your game buddy!

7. britishraven says: Dec 11, 2011 8:44 PM

I’m not even sure these DB’s know what zone coverage is

8. 8man says: Dec 11, 2011 8:45 PM

Yep. Bad decision by a great QB. The DB on the play wanted the ball more.

Brady’s thrown picks in the end zone in playoff games and Super Bowls. Look it up.

9. freewayjim says: Dec 11, 2011 8:47 PM

It happens, Dan Marino was notorious for chewing out his teammates after bad plays and even worse, when things go wrong Peyton Manning gives his teammates “Manning Face”!

10. lunarpie says: Dec 11, 2011 8:48 PM

2 words, TUCK RULE…..

11. rexismybff says: Dec 11, 2011 8:49 PM

Nearly beaten in back-to-back weeks by the Colts and Redskins?

Sad what this once proud (spy gate reference goes here) franchise has fallen to. No team looks more like a one-and-done playoff loser right now than your Boston Pats.

12. edubs23 says: Dec 11, 2011 8:54 PM

Lost in all of this is that Brady was probably right. ESPN Boston Patriots Blog has a good view of the play under the Rapid Reaction post… if you pause it as Brady is just making the throw, Underwood is open… the LB had come up to the front of the endzone and it was one on one with no one underneath and the receiver had about a half step on the DB… as the ball is in the air Underwood fades away as the DB undercuts the throw.

13. Patriot42 says: Dec 11, 2011 8:54 PM

I see they are still 10-3 they haven’t fell very far have they?

14. varnbo says: Dec 11, 2011 8:59 PM

I’m not a fan of Brady, but I have to admit his statement about the blowup between him and the OC was spot on.

Kudos to the coach for getting into the prima donnas face.

15. geniusfan says: Dec 11, 2011 9:00 PM

“And, based on the latest seedings, the team that will most likely one-and-did them again this year will be sexxy Rex and his “foot” soldiers from Jersey. That’s why he’s my current bff – because of 28-21 last year.”

Well currently yes but if the Patriots win out they will do no worse than the #2 seed in the AFC since they will have the same conference record as Houston and a higher strength of victory thanks to the Patriots beating your sorry New Jersey Jets twice.

At least the Patriots defense can be mocked and called “once proud” (even though they are 10-3 and still one of the NFL’s best franchises) the same cannot be said for your Jets seeing as your team hasn’t won anything in ages.

1969 was a long time ago buddy the Patriots have actually won Super Bowls since Apollo 11 landed on the moon.

16. corzman69 says: Dec 11, 2011 9:01 PM

Denver’s defense is looking forward to your visit next week, Tom.

17. joerevs300 says: Dec 11, 2011 9:03 PM

You can do that when your team has an excellent chance of getting a first round bye and another SB appearance.

And you have 3 SB rings on your hand.

18. tombradyallday says: Dec 11, 2011 9:03 PM

love it. that was exactly what the pats needed. its getting closer to playoffs nothing wrong with a lil arguing. cant throw picks in the endzone. i give props to bill obrien remind me when charlie weiss lit into brady in 2003

19. bspurloc says: Dec 11, 2011 9:04 PM

bradys accuracy was horrible today…..

but that is because he was nervous about playing Tebow next week!

20. piazzajordan2 says: Dec 11, 2011 9:04 PM

That’s why this guy has won 3 Super Bowls and 2 league MVP awards. He’s a class act.

21. patriotinvasion says: Dec 11, 2011 9:04 PM

These comments from the haters are hilarious. They’re 10-3 with the best record in the AFC! Every team has problems. Ravens LOST to Jax and Seattle….Steelers barely beat Cleveland and got crushed by Baltimore. The conference is wide open and the Pats are certainly right in the mix.

And to all the spygate trolls, they’re only 63-19 since ESPN created a mountain out of a molehill. 1 AFC Championship, a play away from a Super Bowl title, Brady injury, 3 AFC East crowns….all with a completely rebuilt roster from what they had in 2007. Keep hatin’ losers….

22. freedomispopular says: Dec 11, 2011 9:06 PM

Don’t know about you guys, but I’m feeling another one-and-done in the playoffs for New Engand.

23. broncosaddict says: Dec 11, 2011 9:10 PM

He turned it into a non-story, because, well, it is a non-story….

Coaches/players get into arguments every game….

In other news players/coaches argued with officials over a call/non-call..

24. otis52gsh says: Dec 11, 2011 9:10 PM

Refreshing to see a player admit he was wrong instead of blaming everyone else. Your a first class football player Mr. Brady

25. buffaloniner says: Dec 11, 2011 9:13 PM

Knock it off Tom! These reasonable explanations for things are making be look like a liar when I call you arrogant! I want to hate you Tom Brady, I really do. Why must you make it so difficult.

26. habsman says: Dec 11, 2011 9:14 PM

Brady has three beautiful, shiney, untainted, clean Lombardi’s…..with more to come.

BTW Pats have ttwo number 1’s and two number 2’s coming up.

Still want to write them off?

27. ampats says: Dec 11, 2011 9:17 PM

rexmybff,
    thought you jumped ship a few weeks ago based on your posting, fairweather fan??

geniusfan justhad lunch on remyxbff and all the 28-21 fan club members.

Fast forward to this season SWEEP.

Eagles (L), Giants (L)Dolphins (?/W).

9-7 don’t get you in!

28. pnut87 says: Dec 11, 2011 9:18 PM

I don’t know why he’s so upset, a guy breathes on Tom he gets a personal foul…

29. canadianpatriotsfan says: Dec 11, 2011 9:26 PM

Big win, despite the shaky defense. But a win is a win. Now on to face Tim Tebow and Jesus.

30. thomasreilly says: Dec 11, 2011 9:40 PM

Love the Pats, and I understand that many teams would love to be 10-3 right now, but wow the defense should really scare you….
    The Skins gave them a scare for good reason- they can run OR throw the ball (they are not great at either just decent at both). These teams have been giving the Pats fits all season.

Fortunately, the JETS have been playing without a QB all season.

Am I the only one wishing the Pats would work at their running game a bit more? Keep the ball a bit longer? I think the Pats can beat any team in the playoffs but they could also loose to any team in the playoffs , and that scare the crap out of me!

31. jjbadd says: Dec 11, 2011 9:44 PM

If the Broncos can pull off another win next week, this thang gits interesting! I think The Pats are still the standard, by which you want your team to be like. Also, there is magic happening in Denver that’s hard to explain. I had all but turned off the game today, when it was 10-0, with under 3 minutes left. The a chain of unlikely events happened & the Broncos pulled it off! It was amazing, & I’d never take the Pats lightly, but I truly feel its going to be a good game! Pats still have the #1 coach, one of the best qb, so if Denver wins, the sky is the limit!

32. psdaleno says: Dec 11, 2011 9:57 PM

I prefer watching this type of passion compared players, who make a huge penalty/dropped pass and walk away laughing. It’s only a game, I know, but since they’re getting paid good money, I think they should take their job somewhat seriously.

33. waltdawg says: Dec 11, 2011 10:01 PM

The guy lives the life.

34. descendency says: Dec 11, 2011 10:18 PM

His mistake was throwing the ball to Tiquan Underwood.

35. axltcu says: Dec 11, 2011 10:24 PM

I love how the media is trying to spin this like it’s a big deal when it very clearly isn’t.

36. turdfurgerson68 says: Dec 11, 2011 10:29 PM

Tom Brady = All class

Rex Ryan = All gas

Keep talking trash NY Jet fans; playoffs be coming soon. In the immortal words of your (over-the-hill) bart scott…can’t wait.

37. dynaco says: Dec 11, 2011 10:33 PM

thomasreilly says:
    Dec 11, 2011 9:40 PM

Fortunately, the JETS have been playing without a QB all season.

————————————————-
    It should, Patsies lost Div. round at home to a team WITHOUT A QB. last year. How many times can you lose to a team in the post season with no QB? Don’t worry…next year you can tell us all about your past trophies.

38. lilrob10201 says: Dec 11, 2011 10:51 PM

waltdawg says:
    Dec 11, 2011 10:01 PM
    The guy lives the life.
    ————————–
    Tell me about it.Have you seen his wife ?

39. Canyonero says: Dec 11, 2011 11:22 PM

I’m just amazed anyone south of Bill Belichick on the organizational flow chart is allowed to yell at Tom Brady.

Good news for the Patriots.

40. bospat says: Dec 11, 2011 11:23 PM

@lunarpie…Record before getting caught: 87-39 (.690 winning percentage)
    Record after getting caught: 49-15 (.766 winning percentage)
    Points per game before getting caught: 23.4
    Points per game after getting caught: 29.4

Add to that 10 wins this year vs 3 losses makes it 69-18 since spygate…even video wouldn’t help this defense but they win despite having a poor def since circa 2006….only time will tell but I feel a defensive re- load coming next year if they get bounced early….

41. earthtopft says: Dec 11, 2011 11:32 PM

Giselle has grounded Tom for his behavior and normal privledges will be withheld for at least a week. Temper has consequences, and we don’t always like those consequences.

42. classygentleman7 says: Dec 11, 2011 11:45 PM

I’m surprised the ref didn’t walk over and flag O’Brien for roughing the passer

43. binkystevens says: Dec 12, 2011 12:08 AM

Tom Brady pees sitting down

44. binkystevens says: Dec 12, 2011 12:11 AM

Tom Brady is so classy that he left his old girlfriend after knocking her up in favor of his current wife. Look it up. Such a class act!

45. mydailyff.com says: Dec 12, 2011 12:11 AM

He did not handle it perfectly. That’s garbage. He lied at the press conference. His coach was not screaming at him because he threw an interception. His coach was screaming at him because he was blaming the interception on his young receiver and the coach was sticking up for the kid, since it wasn’t his fault. (He was covered). Brady was trying to shift blame and the coach called him on it and defended his receiver. Brady didn’t like it and responded by screaming and cursing, showing what a spoiled rotten piece of crap he is at heart. The fact that he puts on his fancy suit and says “all the right things” (I suppose lies are the “right things” if they attempt to downplay a possible crack in the immortal Patriot Way) does not make him a great guy–it makes him a great politician, but not less of a craphead…

46. drakost says: Dec 12, 2011 12:20 AM

lilrob10201 says: Dec 11, 2011 10:51 PM

waltdawg says:
    Dec 11, 2011 10:01 PM
    The guy lives the life.
    ————————–
    Tell me about it.Have you seen his wife ?

————————–

How many superstar athletes can say their wife makes more money then they do LOL.

47. wrxman says: Dec 12, 2011 12:22 AM

Brady has lost my respect, he’s a protected little cry baby.

48. dawkattack says: Dec 12, 2011 12:27 AM

With That D He’s Gonna Be Yelling At The TV Alot While He’s Home With The Other Teams

49. cannonballdookie says: Dec 12, 2011 12:36 AM

They can have as much fun as they want in the regular season, I want to see how that patchwork defense holds up in the playoffs against all these high quality AFC opponents. Might be another one and done unless they dramatically improve?

50. steelcurtainn says: Dec 12, 2011 12:51 AM

You think you deserved that. Wait to you get what you deserve in January. Its coming!

51. CKL says: Dec 12, 2011 2:10 AM

varnbo says:
    Dec 11, 2011 8:59 PM

Kudos to the coach for getting into the prima donnas face.
    ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
    A “prima donna” wouldn’t have said what TB said at his presser. A prima donna would have done what Peyton usually does publicly which is blame other people.

I’m behind B’OB for holding TB accountable for bad plays he makes. I wonder if he hollered at TB for that awful throw 10 ft over Woodhead’s head…that was a huge WTF. No player is above being corrected by coaches. I’m guessing BB isn’t a fan of either of them losing their cool to that extent during a game though because it can cause a loss of focus.

52. gimmeabruschi says: Dec 12, 2011 2:54 AM

Brady gave the scrub a ration for not moving to the ball. O’Brien was effin out of line. Brady should have reamed the guy. OB is lucky he was given the OC job by BB. He wasn’t qualified. Making a scene because the best player in franchise history needed to clue in a street FA won’t help his resume when he’s looking for a football gig next year.

53. tatum064 says: Dec 12, 2011 5:49 AM

Brady will be cussing a lot more, once “Tebow time ” pays a visit. I trust he will outscore the Broncos, but that is going to be an interesting match up.

54. matiberio says: Dec 12, 2011 6:23 AM

Pats fan here, but I have to agree with what mydailyff.com said, although I’d add that the kid could have played it better (stepped infront of the defender, broken up the defenders catch, etc)…

=====
    … His coach was not screaming at him because he threw an interception. His coach was screaming at him because he was blaming the interception on his young receiver and the coach was sticking up for the kid, since it wasn’t his fault. (He was covered). Brady was trying to shift blame and the coach called him on it and defended his receiver. Brady didn’t like it and responded by screaming and cursing, …

55. mrconnors says: Dec 12, 2011 7:25 AM

What high quality AFC opponents? The Steelers who lost to the Ravens twice and the Texans? Those same Ravens who lost to the Seahawks and Jags? The Jets who lost the Patriots twice (and the Ravens I think)?

The Patriots are far from perfect, but nobody in the AFC is, either.

56. imopen7 says: Dec 12, 2011 7:32 AM

you do deserve it…but you dont deserve that girl!

57. portnoychunk says: Dec 12, 2011 7:36 AM

mydailyff.com says: Dec 12, 2011 12:11 AM

^^^^^^

You’ve never been upset about something and then realized it was your own fault? You sound like you have some issues of your own. All this anger directed towards someone you’ve never met and don’t like because he’s good.

58. dickroy says: Dec 12, 2011 7:38 AM

Don’t worry pretty boy, the Refs have your back. If someone touches you they will be flagged, just like in your last game.

59. dickroy says: Dec 12, 2011 8:34 AM

“I deserved it” Yep Brady you deserved the call for the hit on you. You deserved it because you are Tom Brady.

60. paulieorkid says: Dec 12, 2011 8:38 AM

Brady is likely wound a bit tighter because his team has not won a Super Bowl in a long, long, lonnnng time.

Going 18-1 that year probably isn’t very soothing either.

61. neilpountney says: Dec 12, 2011 8:45 AM

For all the times I see the Patriots and officiating on here it always brings out of the closet the “League favors the Patriots” fanatics.

Could one of you just for once give me a solid logical reason why the League “support the Patriots”?

For the record the call was horrible and incorrect, if anyone watched the game so was the Andre Carter call yet get this the official called it AGAINST the Patriots you know this team they are supposed to be helping so much…

I won’t hold my breath!!!

62. brutus9448 says: Dec 12, 2011 8:55 AM

I don’t see the pats winning the superbowl this season. They have issues especially on defense.

63. RomosRibs says: Dec 12, 2011 9:01 AM

Look at double standard, Cheatriot apologistS supreme-espn, doing the two-step about the sideline confrontation. They are spinning it as “oh,it happens on every team” and “it was nothing”. If that had happened to Dallas or any other team NOT from the northeast portion of our country, ESPN would have declared a “Communist plot” and devoted 6 reporters to spin it as such.
    Yes, all of northEastSoxnPatsNetwork have indeed become HYPOCRITES.

64. 1historian says: Dec 12, 2011 10:01 AM

Binky;

TB & BM had been going together for a few years and Bridget decided she wanted to get married. Tom didn’t want to. They broke up in November of 2006 when TB went to see her in New York during the Pats’ off week. THAT was the week she got pregnant.

About 6 weeks later the rabbit died and she told TB that she was pregnant. He immediately assumed responsibility and that’s that. To say thaqt she got pregnant and 5told him and

65. thingamajig says: Dec 12, 2011 10:16 AM

RomosRibs says:
    Dec 12, 2011 9:01 AM
    Yes, all of northEastSoxnPatsNetwork have indeed become HYPOCRITES.

Like most sports fans, you need to stop watching ESPN.

66. rc33 says: Dec 12, 2011 10:34 AM

The veterans are the ones that get yelled at. Brady and Wilfork were chewed out royally in front of the team after losing to the Browns last year.
    Dust ups this are not uncommon at all.