Mike Smith AP

The Falcons have declined to comment on a report that coach Mike Smith continues to experience “persistent chest-related discomfort,” three days after doctors at a Charlotte-area hospital determined that Smith had not suffered a heart attack.

Len Pasquarelli of the Sports Xchange reports that Smith likely will undergo further testing this week, after Thursday night’s game against the Jaguars.  Smith possibly will be hospitalized for the testing.

“The Falcons will have no comment on the report,” Falcons V.P. of Football Communications Reggie Roberts told PFT via email on Thursday night.

The Falcons confirmed on Sunday night that Smith had been tested, and cleared, at a Charlotte-area hospital.  G.M. Thomas Dimitroff told Peter King that Smith did not suffer a heart attack.  Smith has attended practice all week in advance of the game that kicks off Week 15 of the 2011 season.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Falcons won’t comment on report that Mike Smith is still experiencing “chest-related discomfort””
  1. nyyjetsknicks says: Dec 14, 2011 11:44 PM

Good thing for him he works in low stress position.

2. crunchyclam says: Dec 14, 2011 11:50 PM

I always wondered what happened to Len Pasquarelli after he left ESPN. Remember when PFT used to refer to him as ‘Len Pastabelli’? That made me chuckle once.

3. rexryansdirtysock says: Dec 15, 2011 12:07 AM

nyyjetsknicks says:
    Dec 14, 2011 11:44 PM
    Good thing for him he works in low stress position.

************

No, good thing for him he’s playing the Jaguars Thursday.

Best of luck to Mike though, these things can be scary.

4. mikehockhurtz says: Dec 15, 2011 12:16 AM

And the cowboys won’t comment on report that on Jerry Jones is still experiencing brain related discomfort…

5. fruityromo says: Dec 15, 2011 12:23 AM

Besides his family, I don’t see why any of us needs to be privy to this info. Best to the coach and his health.

Having said that, it could affect betting lines for this next game and that is the only reason that I could see wishy/washy info about the head coach of an NFL team.

6. Nikhil Balakumar says: Dec 15, 2011 12:26 AM

best wishes, stay healthy mike

7. crj202 says: Dec 15, 2011 12:38 AM

Hope he decides to take care of his health first.

8. toiletking says: Dec 15, 2011 12:58 AM

I have some arse related discomfort.

9. dblr0910 says: Dec 15, 2011 1:08 AM

Great coach. Dedicated to his team and the game. Wish him the best.

10. jimmysee says: Dec 15, 2011 1:12 AM

At least he won’t be under pressure this week — he’s playing the Jaguars.

11. malloymk says: Dec 15, 2011 1:19 AM

Here’s to a quick recovery.

12. johnnyshore says: Dec 15, 2011 1:20 AM

Get better Mike.

13. gosuhgo says: Dec 15, 2011 1:22 AM

Chest-related discomfort? Is that Belichick for a heart attack?

14. dawkattack says: Dec 15, 2011 1:35 AM

I Wonder If He’s Having The Same Problem Urban Meyer Had

15. localbandhero says: Dec 15, 2011 1:52 AM

Chest pain is such a tricky thing. It can basically be anything, although everyone’s first thought is “heart attack.”

It’s one of those things were they may not be able to find the actual cause, but they can rule out certain causes.

From my experience with chest pain, they told me after numerous tests and such that I had inflamed cartelidge between my ribs. It didn’t help that I also had a pinched nerve in my back that would cause some left arm/shoulder pain on occasion.

Hopefully the guy’s alright and it’s just one of those minor, albeit annoying, issues.

16. gdeli says: Dec 15, 2011 1:57 AM

If it’s a heart problem get it checked but it could be an anxiety attack(I get them from the vikings defense-ha) and you feel like your gonna die. Get well mike.

17. 4t9er says: Dec 15, 2011 3:14 AM

I hope it’s just a minor thing, he seems like a great coach and a well liked person.

18. thecraigslistkiller says: Dec 15, 2011 3:57 AM

I wish they would air the Falcon’s play60 commercial instead of the Panther’s version, I laughed at Mike Smith’s facial expressions every time.

19. glynners says: Dec 15, 2011 5:38 AM

Some things are more important than football, heres hoping he is ok

20. JMil_ATL says: Dec 15, 2011 6:02 AM

I hope and pray that all works out well for him soon.

21. mattmillen4president says: Dec 15, 2011 7:18 AM

So he might still have symptoms which may require further testing, possibly in the hospital. This post is kinda useless. Maybe.

22. mlenenski says: Dec 15, 2011 7:23 AM

Good thing he doesn’t work for the Browns.

Team doctors would make Smith run laps to make sure he wasn’t faking.

Then Holmgrem would backup the idea to the press.

23. packattack1967 says: Dec 15, 2011 7:29 AM

I have no idea what to make of this guy. He seems stoic -I do know they had this entitlement mentality when we went in there and spanked them last year. Take some time off, the game isnt worth all this.

24. bigvinnyinjax says: Dec 15, 2011 7:46 AM

Mike Smith is a great guy, and most of us Jaguar fans here in Jacksonville wish that he would have stayed and Del Ego would have been the one to move on years ago.

If they’re literally talking about admitting him to the hospital for tests right after the game tonight, then by all means he should let someone else handle the game. The Jaguars have 2 dozen guys on IR and won’t be a threat anyway.

Best of luck to Mike. Hope to see that guy terrorizing he NFC South for many years to come.

25. doggz109 says: Dec 15, 2011 7:49 AM

Tebow can heal him.

26. iainnyj says: Dec 15, 2011 8:06 AM

If he coached the Steelers I’m sure this would be reported as heart-attack-like symptoms.

27. rmc1995 says: Dec 15, 2011 8:22 AM

HIPAA

28. larryed says: Dec 15, 2011 8:57 AM

The game isn’t as important as his health. He should take some time to get checked out properly. Here’s a Buc’s fan wishing you the best. (health-wise)

29. realitypolice says: Dec 15, 2011 9:24 AM

He is listed on the injury report as questionable with a chest.

30. purplepride4ever says: Dec 15, 2011 9:49 AM

I experienced chest pain and major pressure in my chest this past September. Hospitalized for 24 hours, no heart attack but it turned out I had a full blown anxiety attack. Scared the crap out of me…..Feel better Mike!!!!!