Owners unanimously approve Shahid Khan

AP

Shahid Khan’s bid to buy the Jacksonville Jaguars was up for approval from NFL owners on Wednesday in Dallas and he had no problem joining the club.

The league’s owners unanimously approved the transfer of ownership from Wayne Weaver to Khan, giving the Jaguars a new owner and the NFL their first Pakistani-born (and best moustachioed) owner of any club. Khan had previously tried to buy the St. Louis Rams before reaching an agreement to buy the Jags last month.

Tania Ganguli of the Florida Times-Union has been gathering comments from and about Khan at the owners meeting. Khan earned high marks from Jerry Jones, who waved away concerns about IRS issues that came up when Khan was bidding on the Rams.

“He without question comes in as one of our most financially qualified owners. In short, this was not a stretch for him to buy the team and he, in my view, does not have the team in any leveraged position financially. It’s him and his family. … He’s obviously very passionate about football and very passionate about the NFL and I know that to be the case. I think as much as we thought of Wayne Weaver and the job he did coming in and doing a lot of the heavy lifting on an expansion franchise, he’s done the NFL an outstanding service by selling to a very qualified future owner.”

Khan reiterated that he has no plans to move the team from Jacksonville and said that he plans to buy a place in the city so that he can have more actual contact with others in the organization. Khan also said that the team needs to do “whatever it takes to get the fans engaged.”

High on that list will be hiring a coach who can improve on the results of the Jack Del Rio era.

80 responses to “Owners unanimously approve Shahid Khan

1. No plans to move the team? Wait till he spends time in that backwoods hicktown that will never sell enough tickets and best hope it to continue to cover its seats. Sounds like the right package based where they play now moves the Jags.

2. Hmmmm. I do not disagree with the Jags new ownership nor do I disagree with the Nets now being owned by the possible next Russian president. It is worth considering how far overseas ownership of U.S. professional teams will go. Would I prefer a wealthy Indian or Mark Cuban own a baseball or football team? Maybe time to reexamine our priorities in professional ownership. And yeah, I’d prefer, I think, Kahn over Steven Ross from what is known so far.

3. If he can’t get them to L.A., he could turn them into the Pakistan Jaguars. I like the sound of that. It would fit right in with Goodell’s international ambitions.

4. The foxes are in the henhouse.

This is the league that wouldn’t let Rush Limbaugh own a team but they roll out the red carpet for a foreigner with unknown ties to radical Islam.

Unreal.

5. I like that he is keeping the team in Jacksonville, Its a good move. Just for him doing so, I hope he succeeds in the NFL. Jaguar Fans, I think the future is looking much brighter for ya’ll!

6. @nflofficeadmin:

I laughed so hard at that Borat reference that it send me straight to the dvd to put it in. Borat’s the best and he could totally pull off Khan.

I like Jerry Jones’ comment: “one of our more financially qualified owners.” He paid cash for the team. I didn’t pay cash for my last car.

Bring in the pricey free agent WRs and let’s get some DBs! So excited about this.

7. steelcitymasterrace says:
    Dec 14, 2011 5:18 PM
    The foxes are in the henhouse.

Unreal.

————————————————————————-

What’s unreal is comments like these that are posted and not deleted (yet others that are not as ridiculous are deleted). “Unkown ties to radical islam”. So in other words he has no known ties to radical islam.

As Keyshawn would say C’mon man!!!

8. Really Pakistani born business who has a company in the f’in Midwest a oversea radical Islamist? That’s what’s wrong with country is assuming people background. He is an American citizen with a blonde white wife who came from paskistan to get an education. It’s really crazy who backwards some of you are.

9. ampats says:
    Dec 14, 2011 5:16 PM

———————————————-

Sounds more like you’re talking about the vikequeens.

10. Shatner doesn’t need to scream KHAN. He need to buy a team! (Preferably one in the AFC South so he and Khan can become blood-rivals for the next decade or two.)

11. comeonnowguys says:
    Dec 14, 2011 5:36 PM
    Fine and dandy, just keep him away from the Genesis device
    ————————————————————————-

That comment was hilarous ..for those of with a superior intellect.

12. Perfect timing and perfect press conference. Mr. Khan said and plans on doing exactly what he said. Re-energizing this fan base after this horrible decade. He is fully committed to the “rebirth of this franchise” and already has an idea on the next head coach. I like it. It’s a new era. Bye-bye haters.

13. steelcitymasterrace says: Dec 14, 2011 5:18 PM

The foxes are in the henhouse.

___________________________________

Wouldn’t every NFL owner have “unknown ties” to radical Islam? Unless there’s pictures of Zygi Wilf at a Taliban training camp I’m unaware of.

Before claiming you’re the master race, maybe you should try mastering the English language.

14. @steelcitymasterrace

What unknown ties to radical Islam would you be referring to? The ones you made up, or the ones you assume to exist because you make broad judgments about people based on how their names sound?

15. A lot of racist and unsubstantiated claims being made about Mr Khan. If you took 5 minutes to actually look up the guy you will find out he’s not only American, but made his fortune on a small startup company that sold fenders for Toyotas, after unsuccessfully trying breaking into the American-made autos. But I’m sure you all knew that. Just stay inside and stay in your redneck circles where everyone looks and acts like you.

16. steelcitymasterrace says:
    Dec 14, 2011 5:18 PM
    The foxes are in the henhouse.

Unreal.
    ————————————————–

Sounds to me like this guy showed up with a LOT OF CACHE and the other owners smiled….

17. steelcitymasterrace says:
    Dec 14, 2011 5:18 PM
    The foxes are in the henhouse.

Unreal.
    ————————————————–

Aside from being massively unintelligent, you also appear to know nothing about the NFL. Rush Limbaugh didn’t get within range of NFL ownership because he doesn’t have anywhere near enough liquid capital and he was partnered with people out of favor with the league. Mr. Kahn, on the other hand, needed no partners, paid cash, and was already well known to the other owners from the Rams process.

What is actually “Unreal” is that you miss that Mr. Kahn represents the epitome of what America was built on-immigrants adopting the country as their own and working hard to achieve a dream. In fact, that America is still a place where an immigrant can work hard, build a fortune and realize the biggest prize of them all-NFL ownership, should be reassuring to us all.

18. Funny….the more he keeps professing he wont move the team…the better the odds he will……..this team is NOT staying in Jax……Jax isn’t, wasn’t and never will be an NFL city….

19. Mr. Kahn is very much an American citizen, thank you very much.

All you Tebow supporters claiming that if a player was Muslim and promoting Islam no one would say a thing? Yeah, quite a few guys can’t seem to get over this man’s skin color, so….

Good luck to Jax and Mr. Khan. Football gods know he can’t do any worse with the team than the prior owner.

20. “I am often amazed at how many times a week Pittsburgh fans can confirm their ignorance.”…..of course ,Shi7sburg fans are the picture of ignorance…..

21. America was founded by proud people. People who achieved equality in an America that discriminated against them for being Irish or Polish. Jewish or Italian. Black.

We are a nation founded on immigration so that people can come here to live the American Dream. Shahid Khan is the embodiment of the American Dream. Came here when he was 16 for a better education and bought the company where he first worked and turned it into billions.

Xenophobes will call this a “foreigner” owning a team (but the Glazers own the biggest soccer club in the world). He is already being called the first “Pakistani” owner instead of minority owner. He has had that moustache since 1972. That’s older than I am. Pretty sure he’s American (not a terrorist super mole.. as if this would be his master plot). Unless you are Native American, you’re not “from here.” So get over it.

22. How many of you making negative statements actually watched the presser by Mr Kahn? He is delightful, funny and will be a great asset to our fine city. It’s really pathetic that those posting wish for a city, and fan base to lose their NFL team.
    Why so jealous?…..We’ve had a team for 18 years, so yes we are an NFL city. Mr Kahn has made a commitment to continue this tradition.

23. Kahn, you are Pakistani….your stadium is very American…. why don’t you make your stadium Pakistani…..people will come……

Jerry, i make stadium Pakistani and still no one comes….You’re a bad man, a very bad man

24. If he can’t get them to L.A., he could turn them into the Pakistan Jaguars. I like the sound of that. It would fit right in with Goodell’s international ambitions.

steelcitymasterrace: listening to too much conservative radio talk shows? Grow up dude, not every Arab has ties to radical Islam despite what Michael Savage says

25. steelcitymasterrace says:
    Dec 14, 2011 5:18 PM
    The foxes are in the henhouse.

Unreal

==================================

We hear you have undisclosed ties to radical Islam and we’ll raise you Penn State football, Mr. MasterRace.

26. @ steelcitymasterrace
    Wow, I know Pitt is small and if it wasn’t for the Steelers this city would be irrelevant, but I hope you aren’t the ambassador for the people of Pitt. Backwards thinking in full effect.

27. Khan has a right to own a team, and Rush had a right to own a team.

The league made a mistake not allowing Rush to own the Rams.

Rush being a football fan, would have been another Mark Cuban to his team.

Rush would have put tons of money along with a new venue for the Rams and their fans.

Khan is a huge football fan as well, and you can bet he will spend tons of money to make this Jaguar franchise a winner.

The city that ends up with the Jaggies, is going to hit the pro football lotto with Khan as Boss.

28. swagjag says:
    Dec 14, 2011 7:04 PM

********************************************************************

WAY WAY WAY too serious. Some of us are just joking around because of the name. Are we still allowed to do that???….or should we all just supposed curl up in the fetal position for fear of saying anything whatsoever the might possibly be construed as “offensive”???

‘steelcitymasterrace’ is NOT one of us. He’s an actual low life.

Welcome aboard Mr. Kahn. As long as you speak English, I’m OK with you.

29. I took one long at the picture attached to this story and the name of the new owner and, sadly, my first thought was “How many comments before the racist/nationalist/all-muslims-are-evil-terrorists-no-matter-what types came out. The answer was “12.”

Gee, maybe that’s good news. I thought one would at least be in the top 5.

30. New car, caviar, 4-star day dream
    Think I’ll buy me a football team.

First think I thought of when I read that he tried to buy the Rams before acquiring the Jags. It’s a page in his portfolio.

I’m Shahid Khan, billionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht. And the Jags.

31. Great news for Jacksonville. I’m from Chicago and I Bears fanatic but moved to Jax a year ago.
    The fans are there, they just gotta get their butts in the seat.
    One thing that I would like to point out.. A lot of the season ticket holders are young and in their 20s. Those are the fans who grew up with this team. It’s not a team that’s lacking fans, just a team that’s lacking support on Sundays, but something that is solved with a simple formula.. Winning.

I have a feeling Khan is gonna go hard after free agents in the next couple years. The offense outside of MJD is a complete joke, but this D has been pretty solid outside of the injuries that have dismantled the defensive backfield in the last couple weeks.

I’m very interested in seeing how this team will be rebuilt, starting this offseason by the coaching hire.

32. Jax needs a coach like Mike McCarthy who is essentially a teacher.

Draft picks need to be taught how to play the game.

33. Please oh please give Gabbert at least a couple years (and don’t draft my team’s next franchise QB)….

34. numberoneinthehoodg says:
    Dec 14, 2011 5:11 PM
    This team needs more discipline. Therefore, I am hiring Pervez Musharraf as head coach.

=====================

LMAO! I’m still laughing man, very well done!

35. I feel for you…I think I love you
    I feel for you…I think I love you

Shahid Khan, let me rock you
    Let me rock you, Shahid Khan
    Let me rock you, that’s all I wanna do
    Shahid Khan, let me rock you
    Let me rock you, Shahid Khan
    Let me rock you, let me feel for you
    Feel for you

36. It’s sad that in the 21st Century US that so many people STILL cannot look beyond the color of someone’s skin and make unfounded, racist, xenophobic, and bigoted statements. Some people need to read their history, get an education, and stop listening to so much extreme far right wing talk shows like Rush Limbaugh.

37. Roger Goodell is such a putz. When a Reporter asked him right after this announcement “will a team be in L.A. next year and if so where”

Mr Putz Roger Goodell responding by saying “There probably wont be a team there next year in 2012 probably 2013 and more. Until we can find the right solution’s for the fans and until a stadium is built there will be no team.

Is this guy playing with a full deck? You think I would go finance a Brand new 4×4 with out a job.

Bunch of Pr mambo jumbo when he knows damn well there will be a team in Los Angeles and don’t think AEG will build there Fancy 1.6 billion Stadium Convention center integration just so Mr Goodell could pretend see if he likes it. It wasn’t a problem when Bob Mcnair wiggled 700 Million in front Paul Taglibue’s face burning L.A. out of their hard work and millions of dollars spent to prep for the NFL return to the coliseum.

Oh Mr Bob Mcnair who got his Money from the Infamous ENRON scandal. The NFL is scandalous when it comes to being apart of 32 team lechers society.

On another note I am sure the handle bar mustache will be in full force @ the Jacksonville games. Those precious NFL memorabilia will probably set you back 10 bucks.

38. Now we know what Einstein would look like if they sent him to a makeover spa. Nice black hair, suntan, shiny teeth.

39. Hmmmm. I do not disagree with the Jags new ownership nor do I disagree with the Nets now being owned by the possible next Russian president. It is worth considering how far overseas ownership of U.S. professional teams will go.

I guess you don’t realize Mr. Khan has lived in the US for oh… 40+ years?

40. Oh c’mon, fellas. You know steelcitymasterrace is just another jokester deliberately making idiotic posts under a Steelers username to make us look silly. He’s not a real Steelers fan.

And if he is … well, there’s at least one in every fanbase.

Welcome to the NFL, Mr. Khan. Best of luck with your new franchise. (Did you really make all that money building car fenders? I am sooo in the wrong line of work … sigh.)

41. You guys keep bad mouthing Khan and you’ll find yourselves ties to some railroad tracks somewhere while hes twisting one of the ends mumbling “Muhahaha”

42. The L.A. talks for this team is officially stale. Move your LA comments to the Chargers news. This is Duval football and you better like it because it will be around and strong for generations.

43. Shad Khan came to the US at the age of 16 to study engineering at the University of Illinois. The dorms weren’t open yet, so he tried the student union and they wanted $9 a night, so he checked in to the YMCA. They only wanted $2 a night. His first job was washing dishes for $1.20 an hour.

This is the American dream, folks. We should all stand up and applaud, because as Shahid Khan says, this can only happen in America. Hard work, intelligence, charm, and a little luck, and now he owns a company grossing billions of dollars a year and providing 12,000 jobs. And an NFL team.

Only in America.

44. Since they are so clueless they only report and push the Jags moving and attendance angle…..The talk next year from the national media will be how this team came out of nowhwere. Keep this in mind when it does:

1)Jags have 27 guys on IR plus a few more starters injured this week.

2) Gabbert is a developing rookie and Mr. Khan will buy or draft him 2 big time WR targets to go with Marcedes Lewis and the leagues best RB.

3) The defense is top 5 and is now playing with DBs and DEs off the street (only 6 starters left from opening day) Perhaps throw in a big time rush DE.

4) Besides being a rookie without preseason or a single NFL caliber receiver, Gabbert got to face the Ravens, Steelers, Bengals and Texans defense twice in the first half of the year, in between a monsoon in Carolina and Drew Brees. The record and Gabberts numbers are distorted guys. He has looked skittish at times but also looks like a big time QB at times. Not the first time a rookie QB has had a slow start and become big time.