Phil Taylor fined $15,000 for hit on Roethlisberger

Phil Taylor, Sam Bradford AP

With all the attention focused on James Harrison’s hit on Browns quarterback Colt McCoy and the Browns’ handling of McCoy after the hit, it is easy to forget that plenty of other things happened in last Thursday night’s game between the teams.

One of those things was a roughing the passer penalty on Browns defensive tackle Phil Taylor and the league passed down some punishment for the hit. Taylor said Wednesday that he’s been fined $15,000 for the hit to the head of Ben Roethlisberger and told Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer that he plans to appeal. According to Cabot, Taylor said that he only put his hand up and doesn’t deserve to be fined for that.

Taylor, who was fined $7,500 earlier this year for a hit on Dolphins quarterback Chad Henne, took to his own Twitter account as well to complain about the fine on Wednesday.

“Man!! All these fines is crazy! After while the NFL will be 2 hand touch.”

And even under those rules, hits to the heads of quarterbacks will be fined by the league office.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
44 Responses to “Phil Taylor fined $15,000 for hit on Roethlisberger”
  1. Deb says: Dec 14, 2011 5:09 PM

Could you find a photo of or a link to that hit? I don’t remember it specifically–probably because the announcers didn’t start screaming “There he goes again” as they did with the Harrison hit … even though this is Taylor’s second roughing fine this year. Obviously the media has different rules for different players.

But unless I see some footage that shows he did something egregious, my opinion is the same whether it’s a Steeler or a Brown: Flag roughing on the field if it’s roughing. But stop this insane fine and suspension nonsense. Goodell is simply trying to show Congress he’s doing something about head injuries. And he’s not.

2. stairwayto7 says: Dec 14, 2011 5:16 PM

He has a history! Give him a 1 game suspension!

3. holeinone09 says: Dec 14, 2011 5:21 PM

He clearly hit Ben in the head with his entire arm. Considering how Goodell hands out fines, this was deserved and he is lucky it wasn’t bigger for being a repeat offender.

4. billionsvsmillions says: Dec 14, 2011 5:24 PM

No-one comments on anything Browns. Why? This franchise and team SUCKS! Hurry, write something shady about the Steelers again, so everyone can jump to the threads and express their hatred!

5. howiefeltersnatch says: Dec 14, 2011 5:26 PM

When he was drafted he promised Cleveland fans he’d go after Toothlessburger and he made good on his promise. More please.

6. steelersownyou says: Dec 14, 2011 5:33 PM

Wow! this is amazing. Usually the nfl sweeps big ben hits under the rug! Cant believe it..good luck trying to regulate all these hits. It will never change! Football is a violent sport & goodell needs to recognize it. Bottom line to all these fines isn’t about players safety. It’s about players down the road coming back at them later in life & suing them! Like anything else its all about money! They also want to extend reg. Season to 18 games, so they are using this as leverage. Its all so transparent!

7. kmart0319 says: Dec 14, 2011 5:37 PM

Cue Steelers fan (Deb) that will comment that his arm swipe was more vicious than the hit on McCoy….

8. johntonioholmes says: Dec 14, 2011 5:43 PM

So he has a history? That has to be a one game-suspension.

Clearly he isn’t learning from the rules.

9. smartfansays says: Dec 14, 2011 5:50 PM

AND don’t forget the HTH hit on Mendenhall at the goal line from Gocung….oh wait a minute ….that’s legal because he’s a running back and a Steeler(rolling my eyes)…and I thought HTH hits/player safety is what Goodell was all about…
    Whatever…

10. curtainclosed says: Dec 14, 2011 5:51 PM

Ridiculous

11. curtainclosed says: Dec 14, 2011 5:54 PM

Might as well just use robots. The only way to avoid football injuries to players is to not use human players at all. Just fire all the players, and let the coaches play Madden on giant 3d screens in the middle of stadiums. Or just watch soccer.

12. curtainclosed says: Dec 14, 2011 5:55 PM

How long is Goodells’ contract?

13. Deb says: Dec 14, 2011 5:59 PM

@kmart0319 …

You must be new here, sport. That’s not how I operate. I don’t believe in fining players unless they do something off the wall (like stomping a guy after the whistle). Doesn’t matter if they play for my team or yours. Don’t judge me by your shallow standards.

14. dayumyou says: Dec 14, 2011 6:14 PM

Deb says:
    Dec 14, 2011 5:59 PM
    @kmart0319 …

____________________

you go girl!!!

15. jjsteelerfan says: Dec 14, 2011 7:01 PM

Let’s all start a petition to impeach roger Goodell!!!!!!!! Wouldn’t that be something????!!?

16. jg725 says: Dec 14, 2011 7:02 PM

And deb or any other pitt fans – what exactly is phil taylors history – that he was fined ONCE before?????
    Come on – when he gets anywhere near harrison’s “resume” – let me know.
    And why is it that someone gets fined for hitting pitt qb – and you people STILL whine????
    Give it a rest already – or do we have to get into the other “clean cut” pitt players – ward, clark, etc…….
    Give it a rest already

17. tobiasjodter says: Dec 14, 2011 7:14 PM

Deb says: Dec 14, 2011 5:09 PM

——————————–

You have hit the proverbial nail squarely on the head. It has become obvious that the game announcer/commentators have a vast influence on what slant is taken from events in a game. If they choose to ride their hobby horse everyone follows along. If they don’t mention it – no one notices. Of course, you KNOW Nessler and Moyock hadn’t the slightest clue that Taylor had ever been fined before. But they sure knew about Harrison’s past…

18. nepats12 says: Dec 14, 2011 7:15 PM

Gocong OWNED Mendenhall on that play. Hopefully he knocked the Taliban out of him.

19. tobiasjodter says: Dec 14, 2011 7:28 PM

As a side note, I don’t remember the hit either so it’s probably a bogus fine.

20. blspears says: Dec 14, 2011 7:30 PM

Hey Goodel just suspend all the football indefinitely. In fact just close the NFL, because Im tired of watching you ruin everything about it.

21. td40 says: Dec 14, 2011 7:41 PM

I remember that play. Taylor basically bopped Roethlisberger in the face with his forearm while simultaneously trying to push his man backwards. Big whoop. It was nothing.

Gotta love all the Stillers jockriders here who keep crowing “He has a history!!” Yep. His history now consists of 2 infractions. At this rate, he might just catch Harrison- in about 15 years.

22. smartfansays says: Dec 14, 2011 8:09 PM

jg725 says:Dec 14, 2011 7:02 PM

Come on – when he gets anywhere near harrison’s “resume” – let me know.
    Give it a rest already

We’ll give it a rest when idiots like you get your blinders off and see that Ben HARDLY EVER gets the roughing calls like Brady,Manning,Brees and Rogers..
    Now sit down and SHUT UP!!

23. smartfansays says: Dec 14, 2011 8:13 PM

nepats12 says:Dec 14, 2011 7:15 PM

Just like Tuck and that Giants D-line owned Brady in that SB,right?
    ohhhhh,that’s right..
    LMAO!!!!

24. ubummer says: Dec 14, 2011 8:34 PM

So a QB took a blow to the head that was severe enough to be a fine. Did the QB receive a SCAT-2 test for a concussion before he was allowed to play?

The Browns have received a lot of scrutiny and criticism for letting McCoy play after Harrison’s latest cheap shot. Why aren’t the Steelers getting the same kind of scrutiny and criticism for allowing Roethlisberger to play without any examination?

25. jokermanbob says: Dec 14, 2011 8:40 PM

I have to say Deb hits it out of the park. Most Steeler fans acknowledge the intent of the NFL on trying to reduce head injuries and improve player safety. What creates all the outrage is the consistency of the application and the perceived bias against the repeat offenders. This is a high profile initiative, why does it matter that you have history? We don’t live in caves, everyone knows that they are cracking down on head shots. You can understand a tiered fine process if implemented in year one, some discretion is warranted. This is year two, why the free pass?

If you recall, this initiative started after the week six in 2010, when Harrison had two devastating hits on Cleveland players and the D Robinsion hit on D Jackson. Harrison also had a fine against V Young in week one that was fined for a body slam not a head shot. I recall Ray Ray delivering a headshot to Ocho cinko in the end zone, somehow this gets ignored. If you implement a policy, you do it on a going forward basis and not based on a pre-change historical basis.

26. miamidolphins1 says: Dec 14, 2011 8:45 PM

curtainclosed says:
    Dec 14, 2011 5:55 PM
    How long is Goodells’ contract?

too god damn long. he is the worst god damn commissioner the league has seen.

tomorrows announcement- no more tackling period, 2 hand touch only.

27. Deb says: Dec 14, 2011 8:54 PM

Another “Hey, Deb, yada yada” post. I just love the clowns who expected me to say Phil Taylor deserved a fine just because he’s a Brown. Do you guys know anything about me other than my name? If you did, you’d know I give props to opponents, don’t make excuses for my team when they lose, and don’t believe any player should be fined or suspended for doing his job. You also wouldn’t be surprised to know I just voted for Ravens, Pats, and Packers for the Pro Bowl. Last season I voted for a couple of Browns. And I called for Harrison to be suspended earlier this year when I thought he deserved it. He doesn’t deserve it now. Try reading my posts without your anti-Steeler glasses :roll:

28. PCa Survivor says: Dec 14, 2011 8:54 PM

That’s twice as many personal fouls than James Harrison has this year.

29. curtainclosed says: Dec 14, 2011 9:12 PM

You GO Deb

30. johntonioholmes says: Dec 14, 2011 9:51 PM

‘When I play against him, he’s going down.’

That’s what Phil Taylor said. Given that he has a history and that he threatened another player, shouldn’t he be suspended?

At minimum, shouldn’t he be fined more than $15,000? Last year, $75,000 was the price of a second infraction.

What happened? Or does Goodell have a separate set of rules for certain players?

That was a rhetorical question; we all know that he does.

31. lilrob10201 says: Dec 14, 2011 10:28 PM

Ok.How many times has Phil Taylor been fined in his NFL career ?Now how many times has James Harrison been fined in his career ?Cased closed.

32. tednancy says: Dec 14, 2011 10:58 PM

Phil Taylor is a rookie. Harrison has been roaming, grazing and predating in the NFL for nearly a decade.

Only an idiot (Steeler fan) would conflate the two.

Shocking. Steeler Whiskey Tango!

33. reedhof20 says: Dec 14, 2011 11:18 PM

Steeler Fans,
    Maybe Taylor never called Goodell the devil?

34. Deb says: Dec 15, 2011 12:14 AM

tednancy …

Get wise, dude. This isn’t about the way James hits. It’s not about the way Taylor hits, either. Just remember the old song lyric: “Money makes the world go around.” The NFL has known about the dangers of post-concussion syndrome for at least two decades. Yet they made no significant effort to address the issue–certainly not on the field. In fact, they marketed the game using footage of the hardest hits.

Then last year Congress began talking about holding hearings into head injuries. And on the same week, a couple of players were knocked senseless. James had two HUGE hits in the Browns game that week (and I thought the one on Massaquoi really crossed the line). Suddenly the NFL was getting bad press and the threat of Congressional hearings all at once. Goodell needed to “prove” the league was taking all this seriously to avoid costly hearings and lawsuits.

Tada!!

Players started getting monster fines … and menacing-looking, loudmouth James Harrison overnight became the posterboy for dirty hits. However, his history does not support that designation. It’s all smoke and mirrors to appease the public. It doesn’t have anything to do with reality. And it hasn’t reduced the rate of head injuries one iota.

35. pravin68 says: Dec 15, 2011 12:21 AM

The actual hit wasnt a bit deal. I agree with the penalty, but not the fine. NFL is trying to show that they are being fair because they are under fire from some of us fans for their two facedness in not disciplining hits on Steelres players as much as hits by Harrison in the past for similar incidents.

I think Phil got victimized by the whole Harrison controversy. I have seen worse hits on Ben not only not fined, but not penalized either in other games.

36. crusty14 says: Dec 15, 2011 1:13 AM

To whoever the guy was that said “he’s been fined ONCE where’s the history” it’s obvious, he’s been fined once, there’s the start of history!

37. jg725 says: Dec 15, 2011 5:05 AM

Hey smartfan –

I know I threw some numbers out concerning your team and penalties – so i can completely understand you getting upset – you were angry with me because you had to take your shoes off and use your toes to count past ten (big surprise) – so relax, get a calculator, and start adding up the pitt penalties – should keep you busy for awhile – but even you and your neighbors out their should be able to add up phil taylors 2 penalties……… without too much help

38. Steeler's Will says: Dec 15, 2011 10:29 AM

“Man!! All these fines is crazy! After while the NFL will be 2 hand touch.” – Phil Taylor

——————

1) This guy just doesn’t get it. He’ll never learn.
    2) If it’s so difficult then how come everyone else in the league understands how to play by the rules??
    3) Clearly he needs to be banned for the rest of the season.
    4) Is it really that hard to wrap the player up and lead with your shoulder?? Doesn’t that dirty team teach proper form tackling techniques?
    5) Bunch of dirty cheapshot artists is what they are I tell ya.

Proper PFT pontificating techniques were practiced in this post.

39. smartfansays says: Dec 15, 2011 2:38 PM

jg725 says:Dec 15, 2011 5:05 AM

Hey smartfan –

@jg725, don’t need a calculator..not upset either..obviously my point about Ben not getting the roughing calls blew right by you. All I’m saying is everyone wants to jump on the fine/suspension wagon for Harrison(I agree on 3 of the penalties + the last one)… but when will the NFL do the same to the players that hit him low,break his nose & helmet hits/facemask…
    That’s my point….

Oh by the way….my fingers and toes are fine…maybe you need to put your lips on Goodell’s____??? That’s right you already did..
    jerk.

40. jg725 says: Dec 15, 2011 7:10 PM

Smartfan –

I did post about the hit on ben(who i think is awesome btw-even though i’m no fan of pitt) – but the “powers that be” deleted it.
    And no need for the name-calling ….. didn’t realize you were such an internet tough guy….

41. dmobey says: Dec 15, 2011 10:51 PM

Called for Harrison to be suspended?????

ha ha ha ha ha ha

All you called for is a certain rapist to be knighted.

******************************
    Deb says:
    Dec 14, 2011 8:54 PM

42. raychapman says: Dec 16, 2011 9:13 AM

Taylor swiped at the ball with his left arm as Ben passed and clocked him on the right side of his head. Looked liked a solid hit, and of course Ben winced, and rolled his head around crooked his neck as if he’d been hit by a freight train. Taylor clearly deserved the flag and penalty. CLE defensive coordinator has said he coaches his linemen to never hit QBs head of neck. And, that the flag/fine is what someone can expect when you do that. So, there you have it. If you want to see it…late first qtr with about a minute to go…

43. raychapman says: Dec 16, 2011 10:25 AM

Flag and fine on Taylor during MIA@CLE game…Henne scrambles to right flat…Taylor pursues, as QB slides to avoid defender approaching from front Taylor jumps forward and hits QB on ground. Clearly a flag due…of course if Taylor was a PIT everyone would say well..bang bang play could stop real quick…QB knee never hit…etc…etc…Fact, hit him after slide..flag/fine right call. Keep those towels wet with tears…lol

44. brownsgirl98 says: Jan 26, 2012 4:54 PM

i dont mind if he was fined.. i hate the steelers with a passion and i love phil hes my favorite and super fine :) and a amazing player..