Stevie Johnson wants to stay in Buffalo, says Bills won’t talk contract

Buffalo Bills v Cincinnati Bengals Getty Images

The Bills have made an effort in the last few months to extend several players whose contracts run out at the end of the season, most notably quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. But Fitzpatrick’s No. 1 receiver, Stevie Johnson, says the Bills have decided not to talk contract with him.

We tried to do our negotiating and it was turned down,” Johnson said Wednesday, via the Associated Press. “I want to just ride it out and see what happens.”

It’s not a big surprise that a deal with Johnson isn’t done yet. We noted in October that the Bills considered right tackle Erik Pears a higher priority than Johnson, and the Bills just got a deal with Pears done this week.

Johnson is still hoping things will work out, and he said, “I want to be here, period.” He also said he’s not too worried about how it will all work out.

“I’ve been broke all my life,” Johnson said. “So I ain’t tripping.”

Permalink 62 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
62 Responses to “Stevie Johnson wants to stay in Buffalo, says Bills won’t talk contract”
  1. worldwidebleater says: Dec 14, 2011 6:48 PM

Ralph Wilson pulled out his rubber change purse and tried to make an offer, but was shot down by Smith and his agent.

2. buffalodiehard says: Dec 14, 2011 6:50 PM

So what you’re saying is the bills “dropped” negotiations at a critical time?

3. numberoneinthehoodg says: Dec 14, 2011 6:54 PM

Tripping? Please tell me he didn’t go cracka on us!

Sho him da money!

He’s got some game and if they lose him, another team will be more than happy to “throw him some scratch”.

Now I’m confused

4. skepticalcommentreader says: Dec 14, 2011 6:54 PM

Aww, I like Stevie. I hope things work out for him in Buffalo, but I’d rather he be in a Vikings uniform.

5. captainwisdom8888 says: Dec 14, 2011 6:54 PM

The Bills won’t be letting this guy go anywhere. A #1 in Stevie Johnson, a sparkplug in Brad Smith, and a sizeable David Nelson makes for a formidable trio.

6. dasmol says: Dec 14, 2011 6:55 PM

“I’ve been broke all my life,” Johnson said. “So I ain’t tripping.”

Say what? Perspective??

7. raynman49 says: Dec 14, 2011 6:56 PM

God makes Stevie drop td passes. I think he should play for the Broncos next year. I would love to see what would happen with the game on the line and Tebow throws a perfect pass to him in the endzone.

8. trbowman says: Dec 14, 2011 6:56 PM

Pay that man!

9. androk23 says: Dec 14, 2011 6:58 PM

I hope they re-sign him, he’s one of my favorite players.

10. xstaticonradio says: Dec 14, 2011 7:00 PM

I really hate being a Bills fan

11. NoHomeTeam says: Dec 14, 2011 7:01 PM

“I’ve been broke all my life,” Johnson said. “So I ain’t tripping.”

“Broke?”
    Really?

Isn’t the NFL minimum salary something like $350,000 a year?

He can be as unhappy as he wants with his pay compared to his production and that of similar players, but I’ll wager that comments like the one above aren’t going to earn him much sympathy from most people. Especially in economically-depressed, blue-collar cities. Like the one he plays in

12. nyyjetsknicks says: Dec 14, 2011 7:01 PM

Don’t they also have Fred Jackson’s contract to do this offseason? They have decent players to build on but will probably let everyone go and blame “big markets” to the reason they can’t.

13. darkchilde00 says: Dec 14, 2011 7:02 PM

Stevie you can come to Houston. Andre can be a role model and someone to help you take your next step as a receiver.

14. gtorlone says: Dec 14, 2011 7:02 PM

From both a football and PR standpoint, letting this guy walk in free agency would be a massive mistake on the part of the Bills. He’s talented and a fan-favorite, the makeup of a guy you want for your organization.

Besides, let him go and he’ll be a Jet in no time. Rex saw Johnson’s work on Revis. Why wouldn’t he want to bring in the only guy who’s worked his All-Pro corner?

15. ispysomething7 says: Dec 14, 2011 7:04 PM

It’s because he keeps dropping passes……

16. tombradyallday says: Dec 14, 2011 7:06 PM

stevie is the truth. he destroyed revis last game. 8 catches over a hundred yards and a td. if revis is the best corner stevie should get a deal

17. skoobyfl says: Dec 14, 2011 7:12 PM

There are 3 games where Stevie’s actions or inactions directly cost the Bills the game, so he better be looking for tier 3 money at best.

18. bleedgreen says: Dec 14, 2011 7:16 PM

NoHomeTeam says:
    Dec 14, 2011 7:01 PM
    “I’ve been broke all my life,” Johnson said. “So I ain’t tripping.”

“Broke?”
    Really?

Isn’t the NFL minimum salary something like $350,000 a year?

———–

I think you’re misinterpreting him. He’s saying he’s never had money, and lived ‘broke’ before. He’s not worried about making $12 million a year instead of $9 million a year as long he can stay in Buffalo. He’s essentially saying he’s happy to be making what he already is and won’t be sweating a few dollars here and there like some athletes do.

19. ballsooharduniversity says: Dec 14, 2011 7:17 PM

he aint trippin but he sure is droppin

20. crj202 says: Dec 14, 2011 7:18 PM

You want to WHAT?? STAY in BUFFALO??!!

WOW, that’s a first

21. majbobby says: Dec 14, 2011 7:19 PM

He will get done. In 2012 Stevie will be lining up as a Bill. He will get tagged the Bills know they are going to TAG him initially and see a Lee Evans type extension in the Summer. Lock the guys up you cannot tender or tag first.

Freddie is also on contract through 2012 so I am sure he will see a small extension in the summer as well.

22. nationalmediacansuckit says: Dec 14, 2011 7:22 PM

You people really think the Bills will let this guy walk. They haven’t had a legit #1 since Andre Reed.

On that note, Hey Stevie the Jaguars have a #13 jersey and more money than you can fathom. You will be able to buy and patent the word “broke”.

23. xxwhodatxx says: Dec 14, 2011 7:23 PM

Is he trying to say they dropped the ball? That would be some irony

24. goblue714 says: Dec 14, 2011 7:28 PM

Why would bills sign him, he drops passes at the worst times(he chokes).

25. 7pints says: Dec 14, 2011 7:30 PM

Hell, the Bills may not be in Buffalo much longer let alone Stevie Johnson.

26. bearsstillsuck says: Dec 14, 2011 7:31 PM

he may not be “tripping,” but he is dropping game winning touchdown throws.

27. predicatepanda says: Dec 14, 2011 7:35 PM

“I’ve been broke all my life,” Johnson said. “So I ain’t tripping.”

That is a great line and it shows perspective. He’s been poor most of his life and, if circumstances arise, he can cope with that again. Hopefully, he has a good accountant/investment planner to prevent that from becoming reality.

Good for you, Stevie. Just don’t do any more stupid endzone celebrations.

28. silvermike says: Dec 14, 2011 7:35 PM

Non-Bills fans: if your team signed Stevie Johnson, for say, 6 years, $50M, would you be happy or think they overpaid?

29. fittytuckin says: Dec 14, 2011 7:39 PM

He’s a slighty above average possession receiver.

30. zonedogz says: Dec 14, 2011 7:53 PM

He’s as good as gone as long as Ralph Wilson is around to run the Bills. Ryan Fitzpatrick’s swoon after signing for big $$$$ doesn’t bode well for Stevie.

31. mainevent7567 says: Dec 14, 2011 7:54 PM

he has been broke all his life… so he isnt worried about not getting his contract for big money yet. come on people

32. redripper says: Dec 14, 2011 7:58 PM

Who is this guy? And what has he ever done besides run his mouth, make a ass out of himself in the end zone, and oh yeah drive his helmet into the knees of eric berry who was looking the other way and was nowhere near the play. I hope the bills resign this overrated moron they deserve him.

33. EJ says: Dec 14, 2011 8:01 PM

nyyjetsknicks says:
    Dec 14, 2011 7:01 PM

Fred Jackson has another year left on his contract, besides his age might just hurt him in the end. I think he has just hit his prime, but it seems Chan Gailey might end up rolling with CJ Spiller. I know Buddy Nix has given Freddy “his word” on talking about a contract, but he shouldn’t hold his breath. As for Stevie, I think they are going to put the Franchise tag on him. He knows he is pretty much their only star receiver, so he has leverage.

34. tfbuckfutter says: Dec 14, 2011 8:25 PM

Maybe stop being such a giant knob and you might find your importance increases.

Diva WRs are passe.

35. nogoodell says: Dec 14, 2011 8:28 PM

They paid their horrible QB, but not the actual star on the team?

36. 4512dawg4512 says: Dec 14, 2011 8:29 PM

Im really starting to like this Stevie guy! He’s got a charisma that I think Buffalo needs

37. phinfan says: Dec 14, 2011 8:32 PM

He has the case of the marshalls…

38. earthtopft says: Dec 14, 2011 8:38 PM

I know how he feels. I’ve been broke all my life, and I’m not tripping either. Although sometimes I do walk over to the park, or if I can afford it, take the transit bus downtown to look at stuff in the store windows.

39. egetto says: Dec 14, 2011 8:40 PM

Blackmon at one WR, Stevie at the other, Mr. Khan what do ya think? All Gabbert needs is some weapons.

(Top 5 defense and MJD)

-Pumped up Jag Fan

40. vahawker says: Dec 14, 2011 9:00 PM

Bills did negotiate a new contract, but when they tried to give it to Johnson, he saw how important it was and dropped it… lost another big opportunity.

41. irishjackmp says: Dec 14, 2011 9:09 PM

The Bills better be careful here.

I mean the need to realize if they don’t pay him that he is every bit as capable of committing boneheaded moves and dropping critical passes for some other team next year.

42. cannonballdookie says: Dec 14, 2011 9:23 PM

He is a #2 WR, they’d probably be better served spending their money on a higher quality guy, but if not Stevie isn’t a bad option.

43. rexachss says: Dec 14, 2011 9:25 PM

I’m glad he wants to stay but obviously if he is considered our # 1 we have to upgrade after giving him a raise!!!

44. green1bay says: Dec 14, 2011 9:34 PM

He needs to worry about looking the ball in his hands before thnking about a long term contract.

45. lilrob10201 says: Dec 14, 2011 10:08 PM

In other news god makes Stevie Johnson drop passes in critical games and god helps Tebow win games.So being said god hates Stevie Johnson and loves Tim Tebow.

46. mempusa says: Dec 14, 2011 10:09 PM

Come to Foxboro Stevie

47. 6ball says: Dec 14, 2011 10:33 PM

Dog, with some of the passes you’ve dropped, maybe you are trippin’

48. b1gwin says: Dec 14, 2011 10:37 PM

NoHomeTeam youre a moron. Coming on the net to espouse beliefs that pro athletes earnings should be viewed the same as everyday 9 to 5ers perspective is just stupid. Guess what? The NFL pie INCREASED by 60% today with the new TV deals. So economic depravity among most isnt exactly an NFL concern

49. catquick says: Dec 14, 2011 10:59 PM

Stevie…. Why so serious? CRJ202…… I’m guessing you’ve never been here, have you? The money you make here in Buffalo goes about 10X farther than in some place like SF or Dallas. An 18th century mansion here can be got for 500k-750k, a similar house in any other town would be mega millions. Two great lakes, casinoes, Nia. Falls, Toronto close by, Cleveland and roch. also. Skiing galore, boating, the best nightlife in the US for much less money, and its a 25 minute city. You can get anywhere in 25 mins, no traffic jams. About the only big city in the US where that happens. High quality of life for a wealth man, or the average joe. The fact the city is crazy for the team and its players(even when losing) makes it an attractive place. Don’t buy McGahee’s BS. There’s plenty to do here. He just wanted out and needed an excuse. BYE!!

50. cardmagnet says: Dec 14, 2011 11:42 PM

I wouldn’t want to give a big contract with the taste of that Fitzpatrick deal still fresh in my mouth. Especially for a guy who makes so many bonehead plays and penalties.

51. bleed4philly says: Dec 14, 2011 11:43 PM

Dude, get tagged and then traded to a real football team, not mine tho, we got our own diva.

52. 49erlifer says: Dec 15, 2011 12:27 AM

you can come back home to frisco

53. richc111 says: Dec 15, 2011 12:53 AM

What might happen is what happens a lot to Buffalo and smaller teams. SJ is probably worth 7-8M a year and he should be slotted as 15-25 WR in the league. Just look at each team in the league, over half have better #1 WR’s. But some team will throw 12M at him and he will be gone. The list gets pretty long when you see the players Buffalo drafted go after their 1st contract is up. But to be honest in almost all cases the player move on and they do in fact end up being overpaid, but that’s the NFL.

54. dawkattack says: Dec 15, 2011 1:41 AM

Kudos for the explanation @ BleedGreen Haters Always Hatin Somebody After Their Dream While They Typin In Moms Basement

55. joetoronto says: Dec 15, 2011 5:38 AM

All the money went to journeyman tackle Erik Pears.

Sorry, Stevie.

56. billyhoyle4real says: Dec 15, 2011 7:48 AM

CJ Spiller rushed for like 80 yards a few games back, we need to lock him up…
    SMH. Same old geriatrics still haven’t gotten the idea behind developing talent and rewarding it, unless you’re white and mediocre at your job…example A Kelsay, example B, Pears and I hate to say it example C, FITZ…
    I really wanted to BILLIEVE.

57. exboomer says: Dec 15, 2011 8:14 AM

They won’t talk to him because they are going to franchise him so why bother talking to him now? That has been the plan all along.

58. gmen1987 says: Dec 15, 2011 8:23 AM

Hang in there Steve, even if you sign with Buffalo, you maybe calling San Antonio or LA home in 2013.

59. jwilson8208 says: Dec 15, 2011 8:45 AM

Tebow would have to throw a perfect pass first:) jags would love him

60. joetoronto says: Dec 15, 2011 9:39 AM

I just heard on WGR550 this morning about a strong rumor going around in Buffalo that the team is only resigning white players.

Just saying what I heard.

61. gmen1987 says: Dec 15, 2011 10:35 AM

Buffalo Bills, New York state’s largest welfare recipiant. What an accomplishment.

62. stanmark says: Dec 16, 2011 8:39 AM

A greater accomplishment: the impressive, consistently ignorant cut and paste job from gmen1987. I feel another top ten list going up.