Thanksgiving night football moves to NBC in 2012

turkey Getty Images

Plenty of details regarding the new TV packages will emerge in the coming hours.  Here’s one of my favorites.

According to the NFL, the Thanksgiving night game will shift from NFL Network to NBC in 2012.

This year, the 49ers-Ravens game generated the biggest audience in the history of the league-owned channel.  But the fact that the game wasn’t available on a nationwide basis triggered plenty of criticism.

Moving forward, all three Thanksgiving games will be televised on major networks.  And that’s something we don’t have to wait until next November for which to be thankful.

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
59 Responses to “Thanksgiving night football moves to NBC in 2012”
  1. steelcitymasterrace says: Dec 14, 2011 3:45 PM

The whole NFL Network scam needs to go away- yesterday. Goodell should be fired for that fiasco.

2. shackdelrio says: Dec 14, 2011 3:46 PM

The NFL really lucked out with the Niners-Ravens this year.

3. bmue42 says: Dec 14, 2011 3:47 PM

solid

4. steelfla says: Dec 14, 2011 3:51 PM

Michaels-Collinsworth are the best in the business,and I’m thankful I won’t have to hear Mike Mayock say “football” 97 times a game.

5. tkbrowns says: Dec 14, 2011 3:51 PM

The NFL Network might as well kiss their package goodbye. The owners will not let this potential huge money package keep going to waste and their actions today showed it..

Also announced was that the Thursday Night Package could be expanded.

Look for the Thursday Night/Saturday Night package to be bought by a cable network like TNT.

Remember, Sunday Night and Thursday Night Football began on TNT in the nineties.

6. i3addog says: Dec 14, 2011 3:51 PM

Bummer, I dislike watching games on NBC.

7. champsb3233 says: Dec 14, 2011 3:52 PM

That’s a huge get for NBC. Inside track for the early-season Thursday night package?

8. panthers34 says: Dec 14, 2011 3:53 PM

NFL network cracks me up. When the Panthers play on TNF I can’t see it even though I live in Raleigh!

9. ifyouthinkofgarbagethinkofakeem says: Dec 14, 2011 3:53 PM

Thank you NFL!! I live here in DC area and I remember
    Last thanksgiving between the 49ers vs ravens, My cable
    Does not have local channels that televise the ravens game
    And I did not have NFL Network. So, I had to drive to my pops
    House who lives 10 mins downtown Baltimore to watch the game.

By the way I have converter box and all I could get
    Is Redskins channels. So thanksgiving game on NBC is
    A great fan-tastic idea. Thank you NFL

10. ballsooharduniversity says: Dec 14, 2011 3:53 PM

thank god. next time I have to hear Mike Mayock…..

11. august589 says: Dec 14, 2011 3:53 PM

YAAAAYYY!!! Now I don’t have to wait ’til the next day to see the late Thanksgiving Day game on Game Rewind. Woo-Hoo!!

12. worldwidebleater says: Dec 14, 2011 3:55 PM

Goodbye to the Fox Turkey Leg.

13. dawkinseffect says: Dec 14, 2011 3:55 PM

That’s great news to those who can’t get NFL Network, but I have a feeling it will hurt NFL Network by not having that big of a game

14. jodave5 says: Dec 14, 2011 3:56 PM

Too bad. I like bustin’ the chops of the poor sap’s that have Time Warner cable and can’t watch the NFL Network games.

15. ftblfan9 says: Dec 14, 2011 3:56 PM

Not to mention watching an NFL game produced by the NFL Network is like watching a local cable access show.

16. seahawks4alltime says: Dec 14, 2011 3:56 PM

Thank goodness!

17. trevorthej says: Dec 14, 2011 3:56 PM

Laa-dee-daa. The NFL or the Federal Gov’t need to do something about the Super Bowl. The gov’t should make the Monday after the Super Bowl a national holiday, or the NFL should move the game to Saturday.

Mondays after the Super Bowl are always ROUGH!

18. donterrelli says: Dec 14, 2011 3:57 PM

That’s a perfect golden brown turkey right there.

19. kd75 says: Dec 14, 2011 3:58 PM

Why oh why would you favor that game being moved to NBC? Nothing obvious stands out as any particular reason why you’d want NBC to get an additional game. Is there?

20. godofwine330 says: Dec 14, 2011 4:00 PM

Well tell Time Warner, Cablevision and whomever to get off their keister and Git’R’Done (I never thought I’d get a chance to say that).

I have DirecTv, so it doesn’t matter. Though I wished they would stop moving Black Friday into Late Thanksgiving so that I can watch the #$%@ game

21. brintfatre says: Dec 14, 2011 4:01 PM

If a nationwide blackout (NFL Network) is to apply to any games it should be a flex schedule and should only be teams that have no shot at playoffs… or maybe they could just show all the late season Cleveland Brown’s games or something.

22. citizenstrange says: Dec 14, 2011 4:03 PM

That’s great! IMO the NFL should stop making the Cowboys and Lions permanent hosts and open it up to the rest of the league.

Could you imagine a Thanksgiving game at Heinz or Lambeau?

Also, as much as Goodell bleats like a billy goat that any owner-ordered greedy little beedy eyed thing he does is “what the fans want” he should really settle the feud between the NFL Network and Time Warner.

Do the pigs at the trough really just never get enough? Does anybody at all honestly care about the fans?

23. billsfan27 says: Dec 14, 2011 4:05 PM

Damn good move. Ratings will skyrocket.

24. dionoil says: Dec 14, 2011 4:05 PM

I like Michaels, but Collinsworth is simply awful. Their is a reason he’s been fired by the other 3 networks

25. wte1 says: Dec 14, 2011 4:05 PM

For the Thanksgiving Night Football game NBC should have Faith Hill dress up in a skimpy turkey outfit!

Gobble! Gobble!

26. larrydavidstern says: Dec 14, 2011 4:09 PM

Not only is the whole NFL Network broadcast amateur, but Nessler and Mayock just laugh at each other’s unfunny jokes the whole time.

27. earthtopft says: Dec 14, 2011 4:10 PM

PETA wants to know how long that poor creature in the photograph is going to have to hold that obviously uncomfortable pose. With it’s SM bondage overtones.

28. gregw2011 says: Dec 14, 2011 4:11 PM

Put Redskins @Dallas on next year!!! those ratings will go through the Jerry stadium roof better then this years!!

29. richie500 says: Dec 14, 2011 4:11 PM

The NFL brand has peaked.
    The more this management group runs the game it will slowly go downhill.
    More games televised means more games like Monday night, boring.

30. hunternuts says: Dec 14, 2011 4:11 PM

For all of you complaining about NFL Network, sack up and get Directv. The NFLN broadcast is by far the best quality of all the networks. It’s unfortunate that they rarely get interesting games, as I’d much rather watch their broadcast than any of the “big 3.”

31. Mitch Cumstein says: Dec 14, 2011 4:15 PM

kd75 says:
    Dec 14, 2011 3:58 PM

People whose cable providers don’t carry NFL Network (i.e. most of NYC and some other regions).

32. Pacific NW Mark says: Dec 14, 2011 4:24 PM

So we’re effectively trading Mike Mayock for Chris Collinsworth? All things considered, I’d rather have Mayock.

L-O-V-E the NFL Network, hands down the best source for football programming on cable.

33. donterrelli says: Dec 14, 2011 4:27 PM

I’d rather listen to Mike Mayock than Joe Theisman. All he talks about is himself.

34. cliffordc05 says: Dec 14, 2011 4:32 PM

Several years ago the NFL Network came under huge criticism when it had a New England game scheduled as they approached a perfect season. The NFL Network needs to avoid this type of controversy until it is able to negotiate its way onto the prime cable tiers. They are a few years away but the NFL Network has bee a financial success for the league and anyone who thinks it has been a mistake needs to examine it a little further.

35. miamidolphins1 says: Dec 14, 2011 4:33 PM

thank the lord. nfl network is awful at broadcasting games.

nbc does a great job, and now thanksgiving will be much better at night with nbc getting the gig rather than the nfl network.

36. beedubyatoo says: Dec 14, 2011 4:35 PM

Forget the unreliable satellite dishes. If you have any choice, drop whatever you have and get ATT U-verse. I left Charter over a year ago and never looked back and have no regrets.

37. gmen1987 says: Dec 14, 2011 4:37 PM

Good news for all football fans. Would love to see Monday Night Football on ABC rather than ESPN.

38. thousandcasts says: Dec 14, 2011 4:38 PM

I used to be PO’d that I didn’t get the NFL Network. Then I started getting it on my cable system. Turns out I wasn’t missing anything. Good news for NBC.

39. miamidolphins1 says: Dec 14, 2011 4:38 PM

gregw2011 says:
    Dec 14, 2011 4:11 PM

hell no, anything but the redskins, rams, and jaguars on tv. 3 most boring teams in the nfl

40. Richard Dickson says: Dec 14, 2011 4:40 PM

Now if we can just get the NFL to stop thinking that it’s the availability of the games on television that’s keeping people from attending and not high ticket prices and a poor in-stadium experience.

41. broncobourque says: Dec 14, 2011 4:43 PM

This seems like a logical move, the other two networks have annual games so giving one to NBC only seems fair.

As for the rest of the games, I like NFL Network coverage and could care less if Time Warner or other cable providers don’t carry them. If it was any other channel, there wouldn’t be this pressure to simulcast the games on a local network affiliate or anything else. The people who want NFL network and can’t get it on their provider SHOULD SWITCH PROVIDERS! Put Time Warner in the position of losing customers or swallowing pride and providing NFL Network. I hope the expanded package includes games every other Thursday of the season and I hope they stop the simulcasts to appease Time Warner customers who won’t switch.

42. paulitik74 says: Dec 14, 2011 4:46 PM

Can they bring Mayock and Nessler with them? I’d rather watch the WNBA than listen to Collinsworth’s smug commentary and feigned outrage when someone makes a questionable play.

43. bigblue1212 says: Dec 14, 2011 4:48 PM

I hope FOX gets rid of aikmen & buck too! So boring to listen too them!!!:(

44. freewayjim says: Dec 14, 2011 4:56 PM

This is a great move for all involved!

I also agree with a previous poster, enough of the Lions, Cowboys tradition, open those time slots for everyone.

Thanksgiving was invented in Plymouth Mass, should the Patriots not be hosting a Thanksgiving day game at some point?

45. champsb3233 says: Dec 14, 2011 5:02 PM

NBC giving up one of its wild-card games and gets a divisional game.

46. bunjy96 says: Dec 14, 2011 5:09 PM

hunternuts says: Dec 14, 2011 4:11 PM

Many places don’t allow satellite dishes.

47. idahophinfan says: Dec 14, 2011 5:14 PM

Now if they will only get rid of the cowboys and lions playing every year things would be better

48. Richard Dickson says: Dec 14, 2011 5:18 PM

broncobourque says:
    Dec 14, 2011 4:43 PM

———–

Not always that easy. BrightHouse has a monopoly in my area, so I can’t switch cable providers. And my apartment doesn’t face the right direction for DirecTV or Dish. I shouldn’t have to move to get a cable network.

49. justanotherdummy says: Dec 14, 2011 5:34 PM

NO more Dallas and Detroit. Sick of them, it isn’t a tradition, more of a yearly curse. Get them off Thanksgiving, give everybody else a shot at it.

50. smith62477 says: Dec 14, 2011 5:46 PM

Well Detroit will be playing either Indy or Houston for the 12:30 game.

Dallas with be playing one of the following (NYG,Was,Philly,NO,TB,GB)

51. miamidolphins1 says: Dec 14, 2011 5:55 PM

how about the miami dolphins on nbc every thanksgiving?

52. jcg23 says: Dec 14, 2011 6:00 PM

@justanotherdummy Back in the day when Detroit got the only Thanksgiving game, no one else wanted it. Then when the league wanted to add another one, Dallas took it when no one else wanted it. They signed up for life too.

You’ve no one else to blame, but your own damn teams for passing on it. So chill out and quit being justanotherdummy.

53. justanotherdummy says: Dec 14, 2011 6:10 PM

Yeah, so? Nobody wanted it then, they got it and now I am sick of it. Change it, toolbag.

54. dronett75 says: Dec 14, 2011 6:11 PM

Good, the production value on the NFL network
    Is very weak. You would thik the Leagues network would have a much better product. I’m a huge NFL fan but rarely watch the games on the NFL network.
    Really, Thank God its Thursday- is the best slogan you can come up with? They have been through numerous play by play and color analysists over the years and they over hype all their games to the point of nausea. I would rather they don’t produce any games at all, just stick with the major networks NFL, and stick with studio shows NFLN.

55. mrnickles says: Dec 14, 2011 6:26 PM

How about we get Sunday Ticket on a few other cable providers?

Making me switch to Dish Network is a crock.

56. jjwalkerisdynomite says: Dec 14, 2011 7:47 PM

Can the NFL please cut the Lions from the Thanksgiving day roster? Detroit and their Lions is gaaaaabage.

57. pastabelly says: Dec 14, 2011 11:03 PM

Don’t care what network it’s on. If it’s a good game, i’ll watch it. If not, who cares? As for Sunday Ticket, I won’t order it if it comes to cable. Red Zone is outstanding and more than enough.

58. marshmont says: Dec 14, 2011 11:07 PM

when the ravens-sf game was scheduled it looked like a yawner. it turned out to be the opposite.

59. childressrulz says: Dec 15, 2011 2:54 AM

____________________________
    Too bad the game was more boring than watching paint dry.