Wade Phillips says he’ll be back to Texans within 10 days

Wade Phillips AP

Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips is taking a medical leave of absence to have surgery, but he says he’s going to be fine.

“I feel good. I don’t have any physical problems right now. If I get this done . . . then I’ll be fine,” Phillips said today, via the Texans’ Twitter. “It’s an operation . . . I feel good. The doctors say they can handle everything . . . They see me getting back within 10 days.”

Phillips wouldn’t go into what health problem he’s having, but he tried to laugh it off.

“It’s not life-threatening. There’s no chemotherapy involved,” Phillips said. “I don’t want to get into it. It’s not a vasectomy, in case you wondered.”

According to Phillips, the Texans won’t miss him much while he’s gone.

“The game plan is set up. . . . I expect everything to run smooth,” Philips said. “I haven’t done a good job if they’re not ready to play.”

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Wade Phillips says he’ll be back to Texans within 10 days”
  1. tryingmybest2 says: Dec 14, 2011 2:14 PM

He will be looking for his bike in the basement of the alamo.

2. fjdk4444 says: Dec 14, 2011 2:16 PM

I bet it’s hemmroids…flare ups can occur for years after working for Jerry Jones

3. Andre's Johnson says: Dec 14, 2011 2:24 PM

4. earthtopft says: Dec 14, 2011 2:25 PM

Relax people, he’s just undergoing a sex change operation.

5. chc4 says: Dec 14, 2011 2:30 PM

Maybe he’s finally having all those marbles removed from his mouth.

6. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Dec 14, 2011 2:35 PM

Listen after all this guys done for us. Take a leave of absence w/e you it you need. Just please PLEASE don’t leave us next year

7. Iamthatguy says: Dec 14, 2011 2:36 PM

Wow ! Had no idea so many unemployed lame comedian wannabes visit this site.

8. caseyanthonymunoz says: Dec 14, 2011 2:36 PM

Gastric bypass?? That worked so well for Charlie Weis and Rex Ryan. Those two are regular fitness models now.

9. gorilladunk says: Dec 14, 2011 2:45 PM

All those years of cheeseburgers and fries have resulted in the need for a stent. Wade is a good guy and I hope all goes well for him.

10. galvestontexans says: Dec 14, 2011 2:54 PM

I was watching the live video after practice thought I herd him say something about a kidney. Not sure though couldn’t skip back and listen to it again.

What ever it is I hope you get better soon Wade.

oh and @ Andre’s Johnson I agree lol.

11. dempsey63 says: Dec 14, 2011 2:56 PM

Andre’s Johnson says:

“He’d better not be seeking medical treatment for this ailment in Miami, Kansas City, or Jacksonville.”

* * * * * * * * * *

For a moment there, I thought you were knocking those cities’ health facilities. Then the brilliance behind your comment came through. Well done!

12. stampnhawk says: Dec 14, 2011 3:18 PM

Thank goodness he’s not on the Browns, their medical staff would tell him to avoid surgery, just drink a couple glasses of water and/or put some ice on it.

13. fin72 says: Dec 14, 2011 3:39 PM

Prostate.

14. usmutts says: Dec 14, 2011 5:36 PM

After being ahead by double digits in three games this year his defense has managed to lose all those games for the Cow…wait…never mind, I’m thinking of the guy in Dallas who will soon be a head coach.

15. stoney18 says: Dec 14, 2011 6:10 PM

YES! The Curse of Doug Flutie is real! And it’s happened again!

All you need to know is right here:

16. avoidtheboyd says: Dec 14, 2011 9:25 PM

If being cursed means you’re most likely finishing 13-3 and going to the playoffs for the first time, then paint a bright red 666 on my forehead, walk me under a ladder, break every mirror in my house and CURSE ME UP.

17. bigkatvik7 says: Dec 14, 2011 9:29 PM

Local radio (I know….grain of salt) here in Houston is reporting its gallbladder surgery. Wade should be back in 7-10 days.

18. texansalltheway says: Dec 15, 2011 12:57 AM

What is going on in Houston? Player after player falls to injury every week and now our DC!? I swear, Tim Tebow is hogging all the luck.

19. avoidtheboyd says: Dec 15, 2011 9:24 AM

That “luck” as you call it is God’s favor. Thou shalt not blaspheme the name of Tebow. Repent thy sinful ways, ye heretic, and accept Tebow into thy heart.