Belichick: No player has Tebow’s skills

Belichick and Meyer AP

Bill Belichick is a close friend and admirer of Urban Meyer. That’s why it’s no surprise to learn Belichick is nearly as big a Tim Tebow fan as Florio.

“There’s not another quarterback in the league who have Tim Tebow’s skills,” Belichick said Wednesday via the Boston Herald.

When a reporter mentioned that Tebow is unorthodox as a passer, Belichick responded: “Yeah, I don’t agree with any of that.”

Belichick loves to shower praise on opponents, and this week is no different. He stressed that the Broncos are more than a one-man team and the defense is playing extremely well.  Hard to argue there.

Both Belichick and Tom Brady know how tough it is to play in Denver. The Broncos are the only NFL team with a winning record against the Belichick/Brady Patriots; Brady is 1-5 against Denver in his career.

If Plummermania and Ortonmania could handle the Patriots, this week should be no problem.

Permalink 56 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
56 Responses to “Belichick: No player has Tebow’s skills”
  1. austskate says: Dec 14, 2011 11:47 AM

Denver’s winning streak is predicated on a perfectly executed gameplan. They run the ball, contol the clock, and prevent their opponents offense from being on the field too long. Their defense has also been playing at an elite level. I’m not so sure they can do that this week. While I believe they’ll have no problem pounding the rock and controlling the clock, the outcome is going to bend on whether or not the defense can shut down Brady and the GRONK and the rest of the Pats offense those few times they are on the field. If the Broncos can keep it a lowscoring game into the 4th quarter, Tebow always gives them a shot to win, but they can’t let the Patriots score early, or this could turn into a repeat of the Detroit game.

2. sedcontra97 says: Dec 14, 2011 11:54 AM

My head says that record moves to 2-5 after this weekend, but my heart says TEEEEEEEEEEBOOOOOOOOOW!!!

3. nxsteven says: Dec 14, 2011 12:44 PM

This guy is about 100x worse than Gruden on MNF every week. Gush, gush, gush.

Just a HINT of truth would be nice, once and awhile.

Viva la Spygate!

4. mornelithe says: Dec 14, 2011 1:21 PM

It must irk teams and writers to no end that Belichick and the Pats, simply always has something positive to say about opposing teams, to the point where anyone breaking from that habit and reducing themselves to trash talk will earn you a spot on the bench.

It’s a great tactic, annoys everyone outside the Pats organization to no end.

5. sagatti says: Dec 14, 2011 8:35 PM

“Brady is 1-5 against Denver in his career”
    My point exactly… So please dont just assume a victory…Not say Denver will win but its not a GIVEN than NE walks with a win.

6. cowhawkfan says: Dec 14, 2011 10:04 PM

I had no idea Bradichek was so bad against Denver. Very surprising. Here’s hoping that trend continues, but I’m not betting in it. After all, how is Timmy going to get motivated if Bradichek isn’t going to cooperate by talking all nice and stuff?

7. denverdave3 says: Dec 14, 2011 11:53 PM

I’m a big Tebow and Bronco fan, but it seems to me like Denver’s D is getting way too much credit. As far as I am concerned they are still below average, much better than last year, but below average none the less.
    Therefore Brady has a field day. Denver’s best chance is to run the ball to chew up the clock and limit Brady’s chances, but that is going away from NE’s weakness: They are 31st against the pass.

As I see it NE matches up against the Broncs EXTREMELY well.

8. vegaskid21 says: Dec 15, 2011 10:00 AM

9. pigskinswag says: Dec 15, 2011 10:14 AM

UNLEASH Tim Tebow!!

10. makeshersquirt says: Dec 15, 2011 10:18 AM

Hey vegaskid21…the game didn’t get flexed so it’s still CBS’s late afternoon game.

-just letting u know

11. roastbeefsandwich says: Dec 15, 2011 10:23 AM

Trent Dilfer had Tebow skills, IE being a game manager and riding the coat tails of a strong defense.

12. gordyb7 says: Dec 15, 2011 10:27 AM

Stafford & the Lions killed the Broncos 45-10.

I wonder how well that Denver D will play when they’re up against not Tyler Palko, Christian Ponder or Caleb Hanie, but Tom Brady.

Tim Tebow’s miraculous 4th quarter won’t mean much if they’re already down 34-6 by then.

13. bozosforall says: Dec 15, 2011 10:35 AM

sagatti says:
    Dec 14, 2011 8:35 PM
    “Brady is 1-5 against Denver in his career”

__

LMAO

14. giablommi says: Dec 15, 2011 10:36 AM

“Sunday night football is going to be awesome this week! Buffalo wings, chips, veggies, beer, Tebow and Brady! I might even take Monday off of work.”

^^^^^^
    Sunday Night football should have been great, but the league instead decided to give NFL fans a giant F. U. and stuck with Ravens-Chargers instead of what may be a playoff preview. Who knows, maybe the Ravens will roll out another garbage performance like they did against Jax on MNF earlier this year and make this competetive, but all signs point to it being a snoozefest.

On the other hand, Pats-Broncos should be a great game. Unfortunately, if you’re one of the millions of football fans like me in New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, the SF Bay Area or the entire state of Arizona, you’re not going to see this game. Oh no, we’ll be stuck watching AWFUL football games in the 4:15 slot, all because Roger Goodell didn’t have the backbone to stand up to Bob Kraft and do the right thing and move NE/Denver to primetime.

So you might as well plan on heading into work on Monday, sorry.

15. flavordave says: Dec 15, 2011 10:47 AM

BEHOLD the power of the S.I. jinx. Hes on the front cover this week.

16. giablommi says: Dec 15, 2011 10:47 AM

“Kind of how that whole “Brady owns the Steelers” thing worked out earlier this season.”
    ^^^^^
    That other season that Brady lost to the Steelers, 2004- how’d that end up working out for your Steelers?

He’s still 6-2 against Pittsburgh and 2-0 postseason, if I was a yinzer (and thank god I’m not) I don’t think I’d feel good about a rematch.

17. mrbigass says: Dec 15, 2011 10:49 AM

Tickle Fight!!!

18. portnoychunk says: Dec 15, 2011 10:52 AM

I’m a Pats fan, but with this years team there’s no telling what will happen from one week to the next. I can envision this game being extremely frustrating to watch with the Broncos eating a ton of clock running the ball. Brady will need to be very sharp as I believe his chances will be limited. You never know until the game is played, but I don’t see this being a cakewalk by any stretch.

19. ace3hundred says: Dec 15, 2011 10:54 AM

gordyb7 says:Dec 15, 2011 10:27 AM

Stafford & the Lions killed the Broncos 45-10.

Get your facts straight and stop using Colin Cowheards lines.

Tebow Didnt play Tyler Palko!!! Matt Cassel played well into the 4th qtr that game before being knocked out by the Denver Defense. K.C. was 4-4 and had won 4 of their last 5 games coming in and that game was at Arrowhead making it far from a gimmee. Anytime you can sweep your divisional opponents all on the road over a 4 week period when they all have their starting qbs, it is an impressive feat.

20. noahbird says: Dec 15, 2011 10:55 AM

I am going to church next sunday if the Broncos win. With that said, if the Broncos go to the Super Bowl I will revert back to christianity. Just kidding…

21. turdfurgerson68 says: Dec 15, 2011 11:00 AM

Given the ‘thin’ air in Denver, and the fact that the Patriots defense gets lit up like a bonfire every week its going to be intresting to see if the Broncos can exploit New England in the 4th qtr.

Patriots need to have a solid gameplan and execute it flawlessly in the first half…and then hold on for dear life in the 4th qtr.

I’m afraid to see what Tebow’s passing stats are going to be…may be first 400+ yard passing game..

22. purpleisreallypinkyouknow says: Dec 15, 2011 11:01 AM

This has, and always been, Bill’s version of the “Jedi mind trick.” Smart play….like anti-billboard material.

There is a guy like that in the league in Vick.

Tebow will get crushed and beat up like him before long. Your QB cannot take a wishbone-type pounding in this league.

23. august589 says: Dec 15, 2011 11:01 AM

Stafford & the Lions killed the Broncos 45-10.

————————————————

When Denver played the Lions, the Broncos were using a conventional (Orton) offense. Now, they’re using an offense suited to Tebow’s skills. It’s going to be closer than you think.

24. waxthat says: Dec 15, 2011 11:03 AM

lol..here we go again..good ol beli up to no good

25. 2ruefan says: Dec 15, 2011 11:07 AM

Interesting to me that those who are critical of Tebow want to claim the wins are ALL about the “elite” defense, blah, blah.

I”m not a Tebow fan, nor an anti-fan. Just an NFL observer.

I am a Vikings fan, and not sure too many people have noticed that a ROOKIE QB shredded the Denver “elite” defense for nearly 400 yards passing.

The Broncos only won the Vikings game because the Vikings are fielding a Pop-Warner talent level secondary.

Watch the tape. Pretty clear:
    1) Denver Defense shredded by Vikes offense (except for some costly rookie INTs)
    1a) Vikings BACKUP RB ran for nearly 100 yards and 4.3 yard average against the “elite”, “vaunted” “exceptional”, unbelievable Denver defense.
    2) Tim Tebow threw for two touchdowns against that porous secondary.

They won that game in SPITE of their defense, and BECAUSE of Tebow.

Can’t say that about too many of the other games they won, but it seems to me the bashers have failed to notice this.

Just my 2 cents…

26. thetruth1313 says: Dec 15, 2011 11:07 AM

bozosforall says:

LMAO

———————————————–

Does LOL and LMAO suppose to make your comments funny or am I missing something?

27. vegaskid21 says: Dec 15, 2011 11:08 AM

makeshersquirt says:
    Dec 15, 2011 10:18 AM

-just letting u know

My co-worker let me know that after I wrote that. Thumbs down to me. Need to find a way to streamline the game now…

28. nflofficeadmin says: Dec 15, 2011 11:10 AM

Always bet on black, never bet against Tebow.

29. kellyb9 says: Dec 15, 2011 11:17 AM

I think a large majority of that 1-5 is because of Mike Shanahan. Belichick teams just don’t seem to play well against his teams. Just an observation…

30. raqaiw says: Dec 15, 2011 11:21 AM

@giablommi:

The football viewing world would much rather watch angry Phillip Rivers face after getting pounded into the dirt by T-Sizzle than to watch Tebow torch the Patriots horrific defense and then have Brady whine at his coaches on the sideline for his mistakes.

31. steelersownyou says: Dec 15, 2011 11:28 AM

The pats are a joke…I hope they crush belicheat and marcia brady this weekend…imagine how much cheat tape belicheat would have on tebow if he wasnt caught!

32. mike83ri says: Dec 15, 2011 11:29 AM

To be fair, that record is almost entirely against Mike Shanahan, who seems to know how to beat Belichick (look at last weeks closer-than-it-should-have-been game). The other loss to Denver was against Josh McDaniels, who probably had some good ideas on how to beat the Pats since he coached there the year before.

Lets look at Brady’s record against John Fox, shall we? Including a week 3 preseason game in which both starters played most of the game, Brady/Belichick is 5-1 against John Fox with a combined final score of 154-82.

Exclude the preseason game and it’s still 4-1 with a combined score of 130-75.

33. rushmatic says: Dec 15, 2011 11:40 AM

nxsteven says:
    This guy is about 100x worse than Gruden on MNF every week. Gush, gush, gush.

Just a HINT of truth would be nice, once and awhile.

Viva la Spygate!

_________________

You can’t be this stupid.

34. smrtzin says: Dec 15, 2011 11:52 AM

He’s right. Most have better skills.

35. gisellichek says: Dec 15, 2011 11:53 AM

The only way the Broncos win is if Brady gets hurt. I see no scenario where Denver wins if Brady plays…

But then again… That’s why they play the games!!!

36. p4ever says: Dec 15, 2011 12:00 PM

37. jpb12 says: Dec 15, 2011 12:05 PM

Brady Quinn will be in this game in 3rd Qtr

38. predicatepanda says: Dec 15, 2011 12:14 PM

steelersownyou says:
    Dec 15, 2011 11:28 AM
    ————————————————–
    Don’t think anyone’s ever made this reference before. How original and clever. Maybe you can collaborate with bozosforall and really wow us.

That way I can LMAO.

39. raiders757 says: Dec 15, 2011 12:22 PM

Are you sure he didn’t say “There’s not another starting quarterback in the league who has Tim Tebow’s lack of skills”?

Also, there is no way The Tebows beat The Bradys. If they do, then it’s obvious the fix is in and that Vince McMahon is the real commissioner of the NFL. Hell, it already seems that way anyhow.

40. patriotinvasion says: Dec 15, 2011 12:32 PM

steelersownyou says: Dec 15, 2011 11:28 AM

_____

Yet another Steeler fan still bitter about getting WHOOPED on their home field in not one, but TWO AFC Championship Games. HA! LeBeau should have changed his signals like every and signals didn’t help Troy Brown’s punt return for a TD, the blocked FG, Rodney Harrison’s pick 6 in 2004, or the 5 total INT’s Kordell and Big Ben through in those two games. #keepcryin’ #weloveit

41. CKL says: Dec 15, 2011 12:34 PM

BB always says nice things about opponents, true. But if you listen carefully, he never says anything FALSE…he merely emphasizes what he believes a team’s/player’s positives are.

This game scares the bleep out of me as a Pats fan: A team that’s fantastic in the 4th Q going against my team which is usually terrible in the 4th Q…on both sides of the ball.

42. earthtopft says: Dec 15, 2011 12:34 PM

The photograph caught the two men at the precise moment that Meyer told Belichik he should draft Tebow.

43. patriotinvasion says: Dec 15, 2011 12:35 PM

@steelersownyou

So fun watching you inbred middle-Pennsylvania mountain people cry in the crowd at Heinz on my 2001 and 2004 Super Bowl DVD’s. Punt return, INT, and blocked FG returns for TD’s left and right. #patriotsOWNyou

44. earthtopft says: Dec 15, 2011 12:36 PM

Three guys I liked the most out of 2010 draft on the field together. DeMaryius Thomas, Tebow, and Gronkowski.

“Proving it!”.

45. xxwhodatxx says: Dec 15, 2011 12:48 PM

There sure are alot of pats haters out there. That’s cool I guess but could you come up with something better than “spy gate” it’s played out,thanks.

46. dspyank2k11 says: Dec 15, 2011 1:09 PM

and NO ONE has Belicheats interviewing skills…

47. jm1122 says: Dec 15, 2011 1:10 PM

…ha ha…well played bill, that is an excellent backhanded compliment…

48. cmdv8 says: Dec 15, 2011 1:15 PM

@ vegaskid21 says:
    Dec 15, 2011 10:00 AM
    ————————————————–
    Veggies huh? dude your that guy

49. pone27 says: Dec 15, 2011 1:26 PM

I am a Tebow fan, I think its great for the sport. Positive guy being a different style to the game, and has a very respectful attitude.

But, I am also a Pats fan, and think the Pats match up great as well. Brady should have a fun time tearing up that secondary. The big key for the Pats is stopping the run. They stop it, they win. I actually like our secondary facing off against Tebow, could be one of our easier matchups this season.

Prediction: Pats 35 Denver 13

50. predicatepanda says: Dec 15, 2011 1:53 PM

pone27 says:
    Dec 15, 2011 1:26 PM
    ————————————————
    I don’t think it’s possible to look at the Pats secondary and like them against any NFL or FBS offense.

51. cem46 says: Dec 15, 2011 3:04 PM

Can’t wait until it’s Tebow Time!!!

52. thetruth1313 says: Dec 15, 2011 3:59 PM

earthtopft says:
    Dec 15, 2011 12:34 PM
    ———————————————-

BRILLIANT!!!!

53. cuda1234 says: Dec 15, 2011 4:37 PM

Bellichick is a mater of the obvious. No qb in the league has Tebow’s skills because Tebow doesn’t HAVE qb skills. Urlacher summed it pretty well, he’s a good running back.

And if he was half the team player he claims to be, he would already have switched positions so that the Broncos would have BOTH a passing game and a running game.

Maybe the humble one will call another press conference to talk about how humble he is.

I know I can’t wait!

54. loprofyle says: Dec 15, 2011 8:26 PM

What?!?
    Nobody has his skills in the NFL?……please!

He has potential for sure but is inconsistent so far.

When he starts beating Arron Rodgers records we’ll talk.

I would say that nobody in the league has Rodgers skills this year.

55. deepbacksidedig says: Dec 15, 2011 9:40 PM

Pic captures the spirit of the comment?

Denver’s long term advantage is altitude, opposition
    runs out of steam in the fourth.

Tebows secret sauce? Prevent defense prevents victory, proven repeatedly.

This week, we see the true Gods of This Realm.
    Boots on the ground.

56. Trey says: Dec 15, 2011 9:41 PM

Obviously Rosenthal did not learn about spoiling the well logical fallacy in his college studies. The fact that Bellichick is buddies with Tebow’s former coach says nothing concerning Bellichick view on Tebow’s ability. It is irrelevant. Journalists need to study logic and rationale thinking, before they make fatuous arguments.