Ray Rice takes the contract year road less traveled

Indianapolis Colts v Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

Rice didn’t hold out of training camp like Chris Johnson. He hasn’t publicly campaigned for a new deal like Matt Forte. He certainly hasn’t poisoned his relationship with his teammates like Peyton Hillis.

Rice has just shown up for work in his contract year, got paid his $600,000, and tried to keep the spotlight off his situation.

“It’s hard to think about it now — I’m being honest,” Rice told the Baltimore Sun. “I’ve had the ability to not even think about it because, No. 1, I respect my teammates. And I didn’t want to bring my contract, my personal decisions, my life in . . . to this locker room.”

Rice doesn’t need to say anything. His play does the talking. Rice leads the NFL in yards from scrimmage with 1,622. He has a career high 12 touchdowns and has already caught over 60 passes for a third straight year.

Don’t expect Rice to start talking about his contract now.

“I have enough respect for the organization to keep it that way,” he said. “And we’re winning. If you love the game enough, you love winning and you appreciate it and live by it. If you take care of the game, the game will take care of you.”

The Ravens have a long track record of taking care of their star players. It’s hard to imagine that Baltimore won’t pay Rice handsomely in the offseason.

He’ll get his big money, without any of the usual drama.

“I mean, I don’t think I’ll be going anywhere,” Rice said. “That I can almost assure. . . . I love it here.”

Permalink 62 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
62 Responses to “Ray Rice takes the contract year road less traveled”
  1. snowpea84 says: Dec 15, 2011 12:55 PM

What contract year talks this season could be complete without mention of Desean Jackson?

2. nedhigginssports says: Dec 15, 2011 12:56 PM

God that is refreshing. I really hope the Ravens do the right thing, don’t franchise the guy, and reward his loyalty, hard work and the fact that the guy is a monster on the field.

3. benwantsababyruth says: Dec 15, 2011 12:59 PM

The wizard of oz has ya covered, little nugget.

4. golonger says: Dec 15, 2011 12:59 PM

This is because Rice is a normal person and the Ravens are a competent organization….put these two things together and you get no drama!

5. dowhatifeellike says: Dec 15, 2011 12:59 PM

He’s a class act on and off the field. Not a day goes by without him using social media to raise awareness and funds for local charities.

6. ravenator says: Dec 15, 2011 12:59 PM

How could anyone possibly hate on this guy. He obviously is way better than Mendenhall.

7. letsgolos says: Dec 15, 2011 12:59 PM

Love me some Raymell Rice

8. pitchblack816 says: Dec 15, 2011 12:59 PM

That’s because he attended BSHU with Professor Suggs. Rice is a class act, he knows the Ravens keep their playmakers and keeps his mouth shut about getting a new contract during the season. BEAST!

9. musiccitymiracle says: Dec 15, 2011 1:01 PM

Class act. You just hope he doesn’t get hurt between now and the Ravens offseason.

10. randomguy9999 says: Dec 15, 2011 1:01 PM

wow….. really really admirable…. setting the bar in every way for players in the NFL…

thanks for being a great example of professionalism, Ray!

11. nflsucker says: Dec 15, 2011 1:01 PM

Class and talent is a winning combination. Is he best friends with Barry Sanders or something?

12. allascowboys says: Dec 15, 2011 1:02 PM

Beast.

13. slickmarine says: Dec 15, 2011 1:02 PM

The NFL could certainly use a few more men like Ray Rice. Old school leaders whose actions speak louder than words….

14. tehmuff1nm4n says: Dec 15, 2011 1:03 PM

Keep chopping

15. oscojoe says: Dec 15, 2011 1:04 PM

It is all about having the right attitude & agent, obviously Rice does, Johnson, Forte & Hillis don’t!

16. rpiotr01 says: Dec 15, 2011 1:05 PM

And yet the DeSean Jacksons of the league still listen to agent double-speak and really think the best way to get what they want is to make a lot of noise.

17. jsalis13 says: Dec 15, 2011 1:05 PM

He’ll get the franchise tag so they can lock up Flacco, then next year he’ll get his barring major injury. The Ravens are good with this kind of stuff, In Ozzie We Trust!

18. vegaskid21 says: Dec 15, 2011 1:05 PM

Now that’s how you get a new contract. Play hard and don’t whine like a baby. Hope Desean J. and P. Hillis were paying attention. Way to go RR.

19. david7590 says: Dec 15, 2011 1:05 PM

Conducting yourself like a Scarlet Knight. Way to be Ray.

20. matt530 says: Dec 15, 2011 1:05 PM

I’m no Ravens fan, but what a class act. If he wont say it, I will: PAY THE MAN!

21. NakedCowboy! says: Dec 15, 2011 1:06 PM

are you suggesting that CJ or forte shoudlnt be talking about their contacts?
    RB has the shortest lifespan and is worst paid player on the team statistically if you exclude spl teamers…

i wouldnt take a shot at a guy trying to get paid and securing his future… for most NFL player, the money they make playing is all they got… i would call it prudent if you look out for yourself and get paid…

I respect what rice is doing but please dont take cheap shots at other RBs…

22. sbxxix says: Dec 15, 2011 1:06 PM

And that, is how it’s done!!!

23. noquickreactionshere says: Dec 15, 2011 1:08 PM

NFL players… watch Ray Rice (on and off the field) and take notes please.

24. steelerfanforlife says: Dec 15, 2011 1:10 PM

Kid deserves a big contract! Little bowling ball is a beast! It would be nice to get him out of the AFC North though!!

25. KIR says: Dec 15, 2011 1:11 PM

NFL players deserve every penny the get. People don’t question the income of movie stars, singers, news anchors and entertainers. And those celebrities don’t have to endure concussions, broken bones, torn ligaments and possible premature death. Why do they get bent out of shape about the salary of athletes who have some of the most unique God given talents in the world? American wants to see the best. Look at the ratings for the fourth preseason game. Those are some of the best former college players in the country and America refuses to watch. The NFL can’t sell those games nationally. America wants elite athletes.

26. ProDolphinsTalk says: Dec 15, 2011 1:13 PM

Class act that Ray Rice guy. Peyton Hillis isn’t even in the same stratosphere.

27. kcfanatic says: Dec 15, 2011 1:15 PM

I’m starting to like him more and more

28. thebassbiscuit says: Dec 15, 2011 1:17 PM

Love ya Ray. You bring a lot of class to the game.

29. 7to10for6allday says: Dec 15, 2011 1:17 PM

Amen rice! Thank you for not being like these other greedy players. And thank you for making my fantasy RBs the best duo, rice and McCoy!

30. norseyapper says: Dec 15, 2011 1:17 PM

Excellent player and he sounds like the kind of guy every team would love to have around.
    Great to read this kind of story!

31. lamepftposter says: Dec 15, 2011 1:22 PM

lololol!1!!!!! little ray doesn’t want to talk about money because big ray ray will STAB him!!1!!!! cause like, ray lewis, or should i say… ray STABis STABBED someone!1!!!! LOL!

32. smokeya says: Dec 15, 2011 1:22 PM

And we love you Ray!

33. gallopingghost says: Dec 15, 2011 1:22 PM

come on, don’t act like Forte is a whiner. Dude has taken the high road all year. The media pressured him about it and he spoke up only after the Bears front office publically spoke about it. I can’t stand when people try to make telling the truth out to be whining or campaigning.

Forte has not been wrong, unfair, or disrespectful in anything he has said. I do believe every interview he’s had included some iteration of “I’m going to continue to work hard and hope I am rewarded for it”. The media just picks and chooses phrases to make him look bad.

And I’m sure if the Ravens publicly declared they were going to franchise Rice, he might say a thing or two that would be taken out of context. Dude is a class act all the way, but so if Forte who is currently rehabbing fast as he can to get back on the field for his team.

34. test2402 says: Dec 15, 2011 1:24 PM

Thats how its done.

35. chizzle20 says: Dec 15, 2011 1:25 PM

Class act player playing for a class act orginazition. Ozzie will compensate you Ray thanks for being patient!

36. voiceofrealism says: Dec 15, 2011 1:27 PM

Way to go, Ray. Do a good job, keep your mouth shut, get paid. What a strategy.

37. mike5011ad says: Dec 15, 2011 1:29 PM

Arian Foster has also made the minimum salary for his 3 years in the league. He’s another example of a star waiting his turn to get paid. He’ll probably get a pay raise this offseason after 2 staright pro bowl years.

38. mcgheestopher says: Dec 15, 2011 1:31 PM

No love for Foster? He’s making less than Rice this year and is doing it for the second straight season… guy hasn’t said a word about his contract.

Just thought I’d see his name in here with the league’s other great running backs.

39. mrgroovesd says: Dec 15, 2011 1:37 PM

Not a Ravens fan especially this week since they are playing the Bolts but Ray Rice is a beast on the field and you have heard nothing from him about an extension. Great to hear. Hopefully the Bolts fire Norv and AJ and resign VJ to a contract with the team.

40. ravenboy4lyfe says: Dec 15, 2011 1:39 PM

Realest team in the game

41. toegoat says: Dec 15, 2011 1:41 PM

Gotta love Ray Rice, he’s a beast, just wish the Steelers didn’t have to play him 2-3 times a yr.

42. pigskinswag says: Dec 15, 2011 1:41 PM

A player having tact & class in the “Young & The Classless” Era of the NFL is refreshing to see.

43. trollhammer20 says: Dec 15, 2011 1:42 PM

I hope the Seahawks resign Lynch before the Rice contract gets done. Have a feeling it may drive the going rates up a bit.

44. ottomanismydog says: Dec 15, 2011 1:47 PM

nice to read about ray rice.. but most people outside out Baltimore do not read about Baltimore as you will notice by all the likes.

45. natrone420 says: Dec 15, 2011 1:49 PM

I don’t understand how these guys’ egos can get so far ahead of themselves. I’m sure RR is having the time of his life as a star RB in the NFL, and you can tell he appreciates the opportunity and will make the most of it.

From a Detroit guy, that kind of work ethic is duly noted. Always followed Baltimore as a Virginia native, and I’ll be happy when I see Ray get a contract that should keep him there until he retires.

46. bunkmcnulty says: Dec 15, 2011 1:50 PM

I agree that Forte has handled his situation well. The media has pumped his situation up to what it is. Chicago’s sports media then pushed this to a national level. Forte was no Hillis or Jackson.

As a Ravens fan, I could not love this “little” guy more. I only hope I could be as objective when another team has a player this well grounded as many of you non Ravens fan have been with your comments. For those of you from other cities, he is the nice of guy he seems like. I agree with the poster above that discussed all his community work and involvement with charities. He is unselfish and a consumate hard worker with his workouts and practice.

Oz will get him taken care of.

47. gryphon1989 says: Dec 15, 2011 1:54 PM

who thanks someone for not being paid what their worth?

he’s not a member of the armed forces so why thank him?

he’s getting shafted people, thankfully he didn’t suffer a catastrophic injury.

you can only HOPE he gets what he’s worth.

48. RexCanCoach says: Dec 15, 2011 2:01 PM

Only a few good things have ever come out of Rutgers football into NFL, Gary Brackett, Deron Cherry, Bill Pickel, now Ray Rice.

And soon, Mohammed Sanu.

Nothing like an all-pro that goes out and plays hard all of the time, Ray you will be rewarded.

49. opbilly says: Dec 15, 2011 2:13 PM

@lamepftposter

how many ways do you think i could call you a dumba..?????????

50. blackqbwhiterb says: Dec 15, 2011 2:16 PM

Jersey guy…Rutgers….mouth shut, very productive….every team wishes they had him

51. humbleminded85 says: Dec 15, 2011 2:19 PM

Great player…great person. Been waiting to see who’s gonna write a story about the way he’s handled this, great to see someone finally did. Him and Forte really know how to handle themselves. Just like Ray, Ed, Haloti, Cmac, Heap, and so on…the Ravens always take care of their core guys.

52. fatass5 says: Dec 15, 2011 2:22 PM

great dude , play hard when its time he’ll get his money

53. dempsey63 says: Dec 15, 2011 2:27 PM

Ray Rice: “Two roads diverged as they should, and I…I took the one that traveled high. And that has made all the difference.”

54. dgforreal says: Dec 15, 2011 2:37 PM

Classy guy. I had no idea this was his contract year.

55. n0hopeleft says: Dec 15, 2011 2:38 PM

One of Rutgers few bright spots over the last 5 years. And I do mean FEW.

56. bunkmcnulty says: Dec 15, 2011 3:30 PM

gryphon1989 says:
    Dec 15, 2011 1:54 PM
    who thanks someone for not being paid what their worth?

he’s not a member of the armed forces so why thank him?

he’s getting shafted people, thankfully he didn’t suffer a catastrophic injury.

you can only HOPE he gets what he’s worth.
    ________________________
    This person obviously doesn’t know a good football organization when it’s in front of him. Ray Rice does. If you don’t think the Ravens will take care of their own, do me a favor, look up the name OJ Brigance, if you don’t know that story already.

To digress, I wonder what impact concussions may have had on Brigance’s ALS. You think I am making that up, look at the significantly higher incidents of ALS among retired football players to the % of incidents of ALS in the general public. Did you know Lou Gehrig had a history of concussions too? Just one example of the concern over concussions that many label the wussification of football.

Back to Rice…You know, in this day and age of Diva athletes, it’s nice to see one live up to his contract. He has overachieved…no doubt. But the Ravens will step up. This loyalty will be rewarded.

57. vikesandravens78 says: Dec 15, 2011 3:47 PM

Both he and AP have kept their noses to the grindstone and not made spectacles or fools of themselves. AP got his payday, and Rice will soon enough. Other people looking to get paid should take note from guys like Rice and AP.

58. steelerdynasty2010 says: Dec 15, 2011 4:11 PM

hate him for obvious reasons, but have to give much respect to the young man. absolutely HATE seeing this dude twice (and sometimes thRICE…i crack me up) each season. if you give him the ball, pass or run, the defense is screwed. your only hope is that Cam calls them out of the game (which he is so prone to do).

59. makinghtmlcodeforfacebook says: Dec 15, 2011 4:21 PM

Don’t worry about him getting hurt or not. I am sure he has a monster insurance policy right now.

60. dirtdawg55 says: Dec 15, 2011 7:06 PM

I am a Steelers fan but it doesn’t pain me in the least to give him his props. He is a beast on the field and a gem off of it. This is how all pros should go about their business.

61. domehead says: Dec 15, 2011 8:12 PM

Refreshing! Don’t follow the Ravens that much (I’m NFC), but he sounds like a real class act.

62. bebopa says: Dec 15, 2011 10:24 PM

As a Ravens fan its good to hear Rice say he wants to stay. He is a rarity among todays athletes, someone who thinks of the team and not himself.