Colt McCoy ruled out against Cardinals

Cleveland Browns v Pittsburgh Steelers Getty Images

The Browns never ruled Colt McCoy out of last Thursday’s game after he suffered a concussion, but they won’t let him play again this week.

McCoy was officially ruled out Friday after he missed his third straight practice.  The team will also place tight end Ben Watson on injured reserve after suffering three concussions this year, according to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer.

In Cleveland, people are already talking about allowing Seneca Wallace to finish out the season at quarterback if the Browns can pull off a road win this weekend.

Tony Grossi said this week that all signs point towards the Browns deciding that McCoy isn’t the team’s quarterback of the future. We’d expect another quarterback to arrive this offseason.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Colt McCoy ruled out against Cardinals”
  1. Land Snark says: Dec 16, 2011 12:57 PM

The Browns would be foolish to give up on McCoy so quickly and pursue another quarterback who might have equal or less success than he already does.

It’s not like the WCO that Shurmur runs is something you get in the first season.

2. sojumaster says: Dec 16, 2011 1:01 PM

The Browns put McCoy in a career/life threating situation by throwing him back on to the field. Sidney Crosby is a perfect example of that. Sidney gets blindsided into the head by Washington Capitals’ Steckal, then 3 days later he gets checked in to the back wall by Lightning’s Hedman. The check was pretty standard but when you combined it with the massive blow to the head he just suffered, he was not able to play hockey for 10+ months because of a concussion. If McCoy had suffered another blow to the head that game, who knows if he would have ever been able to play football again. It is becoming obvious McCoy should have never returned to the game, who knows if any of the following hits he suffered caused even further damage.

3. bengalsown says: Dec 16, 2011 1:11 PM

Don’t worry Cleveland fans, surely this next QB will work out :snickers:

4. Deb says: Dec 16, 2011 1:13 PM

Have the Browns ever confirmed that Colt suffered a concussion in the Steelers game, or are they still dancing around that to avoid more scrutiny for sending him back into the game? Is he being held out because he can’t play … or because they want Wallace to get the nod and don’t want to come out and say so?

5. easydog100 says: Dec 16, 2011 1:17 PM

The Browns lack of consistent leadership from the top continues to be a significant reason why they are perennial doormats. I am yet to see anything Holmgren/Heckert have done that is overall positive. And to allow Shurmur to be his own OC was a disaster from the first game. Teams that succeed have committed owners (they do not), insightful draft picks and coaches that do more than just stand on the sidelines with a look of disbelief.

6. Kaz says: Dec 16, 2011 1:27 PM

Land Snark says:
    Dec 16, 2011 12:57 PM
    ____

Really tell that to the Defenses the play and half the viewers watching on TV. Even I know what’s coming.

7. godofwine330 says: Dec 16, 2011 1:33 PM

Starting over? Again?

This is why the Browns can never get ahead because every could of years we are starting over. Don’t get me wrong, I was rooting for McCoy. When he got drafted I was happy because he had been a great college QB and fell to us because of his shoulder injury in the Bowl Game. Sadly, he doesn’t seem to have NFL caliber arm strength, I don’t know whether to attribute it to the injury or the fact that he never had it and never will. He shows flashes, but is inconsistent with deep throws and even with short throws so often being behind the receiver.

SMDH. Here we go again. Instead of getting a WR, LB, or RT with the high first round pick we are going to go after yet another QB.

I wish I could covert to the Steelers. I wish I could. As a Browns fan I can admit that I am jealous of a team 90 miles away that is run properly from top to bottom, but I cannot sell my soul to convert.

“Rooney went down to Cleveland he was lookin’ for a soul to STEEL, he was in a bind ’cause he was way behind and he was willing to make a deal. He came across Godofwine watching a Browns game and getting hot…”

8. thefiesty1 says: Dec 16, 2011 1:36 PM

Colt is NOT the Browns problem. He is their future. They’ve got to get some “players” at almost every offensive position to protect him and hand off to and at least a top receiver. The other so called teammates are all basically useless.

9. sbxxix says: Dec 16, 2011 1:39 PM

Have the Browns ever had a good QB? I can’t think of one. Anyone?

10. erikinhell says: Dec 16, 2011 1:45 PM

Deb,
    The Browns confirmed earlier this week that McCoy had a concussion, but that he had passed the medical check on the sideline. As most players do, he told the coach that he was ready to go back in the game. His concussion symptoms caught up with him on Saturday, but they had diagnosed the concussion on Friday. Concussion symptoms don’t always show up immediately after a blow to the head. If you add the concussion symptoms along with the scrutiny the Browns have gotten this week, McCoy will not be back in the game until a neurologist certifies him able to play.

11. fancyleague says: Dec 16, 2011 2:00 PM

The Browns should draft a QB in the first round every year until they get one who doesn’t suck. One pick in 2004 changed the Steelers from a team that wasted gobs of talent every year to a team that contends every year. The quarterback is everything in this league. The Steelers QB has turned 3rd and 6th round receivers into superstars.

12. rca26 says: Dec 16, 2011 2:08 PM

Holmgren has historically had success with Packers backup quarterbacks named Matt.

Hmmm…

13. Deb says: Dec 16, 2011 2:20 PM

@erikinhell …

Thanks. I never did hear a confirmation of the concussion, but did see Holmgren admit they weren’t truthful when they said he passed the medical test on the sidelines. They never tested him. But yes, he did tell them he was okay. I think it was Jim Kelly who once went back in and played fabulously, then left the stadium without knowing where he was going.

Concussions are difficult to diagnose because symptoms may not show up until later. That’s why the league should be investing in helmet designs that cushion the head and minimize impact. Those designs are available. But they’re costly. It’s easier for the league to pretend fining players and bringing in neurologists will do the trick. That won’t work when the players most at risk are the linemen who don’t suffer dramatic knockout hits, but continual less-dramatic impacts throughout the game.

14. sojumaster says: Dec 16, 2011 2:43 PM

@erikinhell

You might want to check your facts again …. AFTER the game they said he started to show concussion-like symptoms. They already admitted they did not administer a concussion test on the sideline.

Did not matter what McCoy said in regards to getting back in the game, the doctors failed to do their basic job.

15. erikinhell says: Dec 16, 2011 2:46 PM

Deb,
    My son is still in rec league football. He got a helmet 2 years ago that he complained about. I bought him a new DNA style helmet, and painted it in the teams colors. It has the foam filled air pillows with the gel padding behind those against the shell. I don’t mess around with head shots and my kid.

Linemen will always take the brunt of the head abuse. That’s just the nature of the game. They know that, and the players try to command large salaries to offset any problems they might have. Those head injuried can’t be prevented. It’s the head hunting I have a problem with.

About 5 or 6 years ago, Harrison was a backup LB on the steelers, and it wasn’t certain you would keep him. I wanted him back then. I would still be pissed if he was head hunting, as that costs the team in penalty yardage and possibly costs games. He almost cost you guys a win last Thursday. If we hadn’t put a cross eyed McCoy back in the game……..oh well.

16. erikinhell says: Dec 16, 2011 3:03 PM

sojumaster says:
    Dec 16, 2011 2:43 PM
    You might want to check your facts again
    ===================================
    I read it last week, along with a load of other reports I read. I didn’t memorize them. Just the fact that McCoy didn’t show any symptoms until after the game means he would have passed a concussion test anyway. The Browns screwed up putting him back in the game, and McCoy killed the drive that would have tied the game. I would have erred on the side of caution if I were the coach and kept him out.

17. sojumaster says: Dec 16, 2011 3:30 PM

erikinhell,

Trust me, I am not sitting around memorize these things :)

I do 100% agree with you, they should have NEVER allowed McCoy back out there. Who knows how much further damage they caused to McCoy.

Anywho, The Browns were all over the radar this week on what happened and what did not happen. The one fact that was painfully clear, they did not administer a concussion test on the sideline. They have 100% admitted to that. Even with the rediculous excuse of “Our medics were too busy taking care of other injuries to realize what happened to him on the field” … Ummm … who was that tending to him on the field? The water and towelboy crew???

Timeline alone proves they didnt. It takes 8 minutes to administer the test and McCoy was out for only 2 plays??? Blah ….

This is just another case where the League is going to brush this one under the rug and prove that they truly are not about player safety.

18. tombradyswig says: Dec 16, 2011 3:38 PM

In other news, they’re changing the name of Cleveland Ohio to Concussion Ohio……

Shame on you Shurmer!!

19. trbowman says: Dec 16, 2011 3:39 PM

Good news for the Browns. Wallace is an upgrade.

McCoy is not a starter in this league. Good backup who can keep a team afloat if the starter goes on, but that’s his ceiling.

The Browns put too many eggs in McCoy’s basket if you ask me. Wasn’t Shurmur brought in to coach with McCoy in mind? Bad move.

20. trbowman says: Dec 16, 2011 3:40 PM

Matt Flynn? That’s a great name. From one Green Bay pupil to another for Holmgren.

Also, anyone else think Flynn looks like Michael C Hall?

21. fittytuckin says: Dec 16, 2011 3:43 PM

Colt McCoy is a shrimp with a pop gun for a arm. He should be playing arena football

22. tombradyswig says: Dec 16, 2011 3:49 PM

sbxxix says: Dec 16, 2011 1:39 PM

Have the Browns ever had a good QB? I can’t think of one. Anyone?

ever heard of Otto Graham?!!? Look him up!! won something like 5 championships!

23. erikinhell says: Dec 16, 2011 3:56 PM

Otto Graham went to 10 championship games in 10 years, winning 7. He finished his career with a .810 win percentage.

24. nickster31 says: Dec 16, 2011 4:15 PM

erikinhell says: Dec 16, 2011 1:45 PM

Deb,

_________________________

Did you watch the game? They didn’t even look at his head, or ask him any questions. Even the announcers pointed it out.

Being knocked out, is a symptom of a concussion.

25. audient says: Dec 16, 2011 4:16 PM

Otto-matic!

Sipe was good.

Kosar was good enough.

I’m not ready to give up on Colt McCoy. But, if Seneca Wallace drives this Browns offense successfully, then that might tell us what we need to know about Colt.

26. erikinhell says: Dec 16, 2011 5:02 PM

nickster31 says:
    Dec 16, 2011 4:15 PM

Being knocked out, is a symptom of a concussion.
    ===================================
    Being knocked out could be the cause of a concussion, not a symptom. Symptoms of concussion include vertigo, memory loss, and vomiting.

Yes, I watched the game. As I recall, the commentators were not on the field, and were unable to hear any questions posed to McCoy while they were tending to his left hand. He was out of the game for two plays and a TV time out, which was about 6 to 8 minutes, and probably a good 5 after they got him off the field. I’m fairly sure McCoy was assuring the staff that he was OK, but I heard about as much of the conversation as the booth announcers.

27. Deb says: Dec 16, 2011 5:51 PM

@erikinhell …

I’m glad you took those extra precautions with your son. To me, head-hunting involves launching on a defenseless receiver/QB. Colt was running with the ball, and James never left his feet. Yes, Colt threw the ball–just as he collided with James. The only thing you can nail James for this time was ducking his head about an inch–and from the angle, I can’t be sure that was deliberate. If it was, he needs to stop doing that. But I don’t know that it would have made any difference in the force of the collision if he’d kept his head up. That was bound to be a hard hit.

We’ve seen some much more deliberate, launching head shots this season from guys who are repeat offenders that weren’t suspended. Goodell does a lot of this stuff for his own reasons. He’s a corporate guy with corporate interests. The safety of frontline players falls far down on that list.

And I don’t agree that the league can’t address the repeated head trauma suffered by linemen. But that’s gonna cost a lot of money they don’t want to spend. Easier to suspend guys like James and pretend you’re addressing head trauma.