Gunther Cunningham: Raiders fans call my family bad names

Gunther Cunningham AP

The Lions will be in Oakland on Sunday, where their defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham has coached several times before in his long career, and he says he always enjoys a trip to the Black Hole.

He just wishes Raiders fans would leave his family out of it.

“I was in the AFC West forever with three different teams,” Cunningham said, via MLive.com. “I know a little bit about these guys. It’s an interesting place to play. I’m looking forward to going there and I know what’s going to happen the minute I walk on the field. Some of those fans, they are not going away. The only thing I don’t like is they call my family members a lot of bad names. I look forward to coaching there. We had a good run when I was in Kansas City. We played against them when I was in San Diego. Now I’m playing against them with the Lions. I can’t wait to get there.”

By acknowledging publicly that it bothers him, Cunningham has probably just ensured that more fans will call his family bad names. Cunningham says he’s not averse to saying something back.

“If you ever watch ESPN, there are quite a few shots of me yelling back,” Cunningham said. “It was pretty intense between the Chiefs and Raiders, but it seems like everywhere I’ve been it’s been the same thing. I’m looking forward to going there.”

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
32 Responses to “Gunther Cunningham: Raiders fans call my family bad names”
  1. tommyf15 says: Dec 17, 2011 12:27 PM

Here come the predictable “he’s a whiner” comments, but think for once- cussing at a guy’s wife and kids over him coaching the other team is pretty scummy.

2. richm2256 says: Dec 17, 2011 12:27 PM

Cunningham says he’s not averse to saying something back.

———————————————————
    Yeah, Coach …… you might want to just focus on the game.

3. yelix says: Dec 17, 2011 12:31 PM

Gunther Cunningham is one of the most awesome people in the NFL. Can we get hourly Gunther articles instead of articles about you-know-who?

4. mintberrycrunch1 says: Dec 17, 2011 12:47 PM

I really wish the Lions were on Hard Knocks…Gun was awesome on that show with KC.

5. dolphindad says: Dec 17, 2011 12:49 PM

with a last name like Cunningham, what do you expect?

6. totallyuselessme says: Dec 17, 2011 1:05 PM

I expect there’s gonna be a bunch of toughguy comments here. They’ll be misplaced.

Gunther Cunningham is right. Leave the man’s family out of it.

7. jgrange says: Dec 17, 2011 1:14 PM

I’m glad he enjoys the trash talk Raiders fans give him and I have to agree with him that talking crap about family members is low. There are certain things that shouldn’t be said but there are a lot of morons out there.

8. mrcosio says: Dec 17, 2011 1:34 PM

I’ve never bad mouthed coach’s family (can’t say the same about Marty Schottenheimer)

9. rdr4lif says: Dec 17, 2011 1:34 PM

Yeah thats ’cause we have run that division for about 65% of the history of it. Everybody hates on the Raiders and our fans which are 99% great fans. Raiders are on upswing again we will handle that biz Sunday.

10. vols84 says: Dec 17, 2011 1:41 PM

Gunther is overrated as a defensive coordinator. He likes too talk too much. Always good for a sound bite.

11. woodyg says: Dec 17, 2011 1:49 PM

It becomes even more remarkable as each day passes on how did the Lions ever win 8 games to this point ……. Their HC is dysfunctional ……. Their DC is dysfunctional …… Half the 53 man roster is dysfunctional …….

It’s embarrassing ……..

12. earthtopft says: Dec 17, 2011 1:55 PM

These are not Happy Days in the Cunningham household.

13. simplesimon1 says: Dec 17, 2011 2:02 PM

Love Gunther Cunningham. Wish more coaches would say exactly what they think instead of this political correct garbage.

By the way. Anybody remember what happened the last time Gunther said he had a bone to pick against the AFC West? Week 2 vs the Chiefs…..Look out Oakland.

Also, please announcers and media. Try to understand how the playoff tie breaks work. If Detroit wins any of the last 2 games against the AFC West the Bears can only make the playoffs by beating the Packers and if Detroit beats the Pack (good luck) and the Bears don’t, it’s essentially over anyways. Also, in a tie Detroit beats the Cowboys unless they win their division.

14. kingcobra0879 says: Dec 17, 2011 2:11 PM

By telling the media this Gunther your just asking for it worse……not too smart!!

15. racerx1225 says: Dec 17, 2011 2:22 PM

I find it ridiculous that this is all you could write about this game. You have a couple of more important things like Suh’s return and how the Raiders will handle it, will Wisniewski, who has looked great as a rookie, be playing Cener for Satele and how will the once Playoff bound Raiders deal with losing their 3 top offensive weapons. This is all you could write about? Proud?

16. lilrob10201 says: Dec 17, 2011 2:25 PM

What else do you expect from Raiders fans ?

17. rayguyreturns says: Dec 17, 2011 2:27 PM

Cunningham used to coach for the Raiders. I’m surprised he doesn’t have thicker skin than he displayed in this interview.

18. walla2raidersfan says: Dec 17, 2011 2:32 PM

just wondering why fans would heckle HIS family. just his or every opponents family? unless, someone in Cunningham’s family has something worth heckling about….

19. fancyleague says: Dec 17, 2011 2:32 PM

Dude, you’ve been a coach in the NFL for two decades making six figures the entire way. You probably make close to a cool mil now. Being rich is the best revenge anyone can ever get. If you ever feel sad, just go sit in one of your Porsches for a while. It’ll cheer you up.

20. JSpicoli says: Dec 17, 2011 2:51 PM

If you want to ride the log ride, expect to get wet.

21. klunge says: Dec 17, 2011 3:14 PM

woodyg says:Dec 17, 2011 1:49 PM

It’s embarrassing ……..
    ——————————————————

It also becomes more remarkable each day that someone as dumb as you ever learned to write.
    Talk about embarrassing…You embarrass yourself with every post, yet it’s almost enviable that you are too ignorant to even realize it.

22. wetpaperbag3 says: Dec 17, 2011 3:25 PM

Most of you guys are gullible. How in the world would a random group of fans know what his family members at the game look like? Did they all wear Cunningham Family Chiefs Members Only jackets? Cunningham Chiefs Family Tribe sweaters?

The more logical answer would be that HIS family members are things skinned like Gunther and decided to heckled back at fans who were heckling the team. Then the Raider fans would heckled back.

There is NOTHING personal to football heckling unless it’s to a player. The only time a FAN is directly heckled is when a fan is drunk and being disorderly or belligerent. My guess is that a Cunningham Family member was bumping his gums and got called out on it. Then like Gunther, cried about it later.

23. pacificajim says: Dec 17, 2011 3:41 PM

I can sympathize with Gunther on this. No one likes to hear people yelling “Mudbloods” at their family.

Even if they do have a little bit of Muggle in them.

24. kegowhisky says: Dec 17, 2011 3:53 PM

Ask Rex Ryan, or better yet, his accountant, what happens when you yell something back….

25. blackqbwhiterb says: Dec 17, 2011 4:54 PM

He said he enjoys it, so I don’t get what’s the big deal….raiders fans have always been a colorful bunch. Kinda like if it was NYC, they’d be the team from Greenwich Village.

26. stopthehate15bowdown says: Dec 17, 2011 5:01 PM

Tebow may not talk trash but I sure will. Hey haters, Tebow’s all up in your heads. He owns you b@&!hes. Your talking about him even in articles he’s not even mentioned in. Haaaahaaa!!!

27. db105 says: Dec 17, 2011 5:08 PM

wetpaperbag3 says:
    Dec 17, 2011 3:25 PM
    —————————————————-
    Keep in mind that most in here have very little critical thinking skills. Imagine a jury made up of these simple minds.

28. jredshoes says: Dec 17, 2011 5:17 PM

My oldest son was named after Coach Cunningham when he was head coach of the Chiefs. Love him or hate him there is no harder worker in the NFL and I’m pretty sure if others had his work ethic we wouldn’t be dealing with the Sam Hurds and other knuckleheads. As for the Raiders trash talking I’m guessing he’s more upset he can’t climb in the stands and biatch slap the offenders

29. mjkelly77 says: Dec 17, 2011 5:37 PM

After the Raiders lose to the Lions, the foul mouth fans can go home and cuss at their own wives and kids.

30. dd393 says: Dec 17, 2011 5:49 PM

Maybe he could send the Lions’ defensive line to beat them up.

31. richm2256 says: Dec 17, 2011 8:29 PM

db105 says:

——————————————————-
    I’m guessing the “db” in db105 stands for Doosh Bag?

You’re obviously far too superior to the rest of us to be posting here.

Moron.

32. joetoronto says: Dec 18, 2011 5:28 AM

First he complains and then he says he likes going there and some people here believe it, wow.

Since you’ve now asked for it, get ready, because you haven’t heard anything yet, coach.