Matt Forte: I’m nowhere near 100 percent, won’t play until I am

Chicago Bears running back Matt Forte celebrates with teammate Chris Williams and Lance Louis after scoring a touchdown on the Tampa Bay Bucaneers during their NFL football game at Wembley Stadium, in London Reuters

Matt Forte doesn’t sound like he’ll be playing for the Bears again this year.

Forte, who suffered a sprained MCL two weeks ago, won’t play today against the Seahawks and says he doesn’t think it’s realistic to think he could play next week against the Packers, either.

I’m nowhere near 100 percent,” Forte told ESPNChicago.com. “So it’s not looking good for next week, I know that.”

If the Bears lose to the Seahawks and the Packers they could be eliminated from playoff contention before Week 17, so it’s entirely possible that Forte’s season is over. Forte says the Bears won’t have him in the playoffs unless they can get there without him.

“A lot of people were speculating about Christmas Day [against the Packers] and things like that,” Forte said. “But my mindset is, realistically, playoffs would be the only thing that I would really have my mind set on.”

And as for any thought that Forte would risk his health to get back on the field before he’s 100 percent, well, Forte doesn’t sound like he’s in the mood to put his future on the line for a team that has consistently refused to give him the kind of contract he believes he has earned.

“I’m not going to really go out there and play unless I’m 100 percent and I can run straight ahead and sprint and make cuts, because as a running back you have to make people miss,” Forte said. “You can’t just take on hits and get pounded on. You’ll have more injuries to rehab.”

And the injury Forte is rehabbing now is enough.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
49 Responses to “Matt Forte: I’m nowhere near 100 percent, won’t play until I am”
  1. edmazeing1 says: Dec 18, 2011 7:53 AM

I am making nowhere near the money I want, there for I am in no rush to get back out there!!!

2. dfinpds says: Dec 18, 2011 7:59 AM

I Don’t blame him.

3. pencilmonkeymagic says: Dec 18, 2011 8:01 AM

Good news for the Hawks, even though I hate cheering injury news. The guy is a monster when healthy.

4. predicatepanda says: Dec 18, 2011 8:05 AM

Don’t blame him one bit. It’s a two way street. RB’s have a shelf life of less than 5 yrs. He’s gotta make sure he gets paid.

5. iced107 says: Dec 18, 2011 8:09 AM

The guy is half their offense, in a contract year,and thus far, the Bears have not been willing to give him a good deal.

If I were in his shoes – this would be my exact response. Not going to risk my Career for an organization that hasn’t shown a desire to keep me.

Play your heart out and play injured for a team who demonstrates your value to them,plain and simple.

6. mrnick66 says: Dec 18, 2011 8:12 AM

good for him,why should he rush his rehab for da bears, let’s get a good look at what the offense looks like with out him. pay me now or pay me a lot more later!!

7. AlanSaysYo says: Dec 18, 2011 8:12 AM

More power to him. If the Bears wouldn’t give him an extension when healthy, imagine the lowball offer they’d pitch in the offseason if he was coming off another injury. Being cheap may have just cost them the playoffs.

8. stellarperformance says: Dec 18, 2011 8:15 AM

“I’m looking for a big payday. I don’t think being held to 17 yards rushing next week against the Packers will help me get there.”

9. dd393 says: Dec 18, 2011 8:16 AM

He’s playing it smart. Smarter than the Bears’ front office who won’t fork over the $.

10. fordman84 says: Dec 18, 2011 8:38 AM

MY questing is if he would get back out there <100% if he did get the big contract he wanted? I'm thinking no, because he has his money.

Either way, he is done for the year. No QB and no RB means no playoffs.

11. corvusrex96 says: Dec 18, 2011 8:42 AM

Not a bears fan but the reporting on Forte is a bit misleading.

The Bears offerred him a contract and he turned it down b/c he felt he should be paid more.

Now whether the amount is fair or not is up for debate but they did offer him more money in the offseason.

12. James Myers says: Dec 18, 2011 8:45 AM

“Cheap” “Don’t blame him” “Pay the man”

Everyone said the same thing about Chris Johnson.

Then they all said the Titans were dumb after he failed to produce for most of this season.

Fair weather, FTW!!!

13. chitownjeff says: Dec 18, 2011 8:47 AM

Smart!! Remember this is the same cheap franchise that Dick Butkus and Gale Sayers had to sue!!!

14. grizzlybear34 says: Dec 18, 2011 8:47 AM

I agree that Fore should stay out, he is too valuable in the long term for the Bears. Go out and play like a sitting duck, no thanks.

And Cutler was devoured for the same injury. Where’s MJD and his little mouth? Where’s the outcry?

15. someidiotfromouthereintheprojects says: Dec 18, 2011 8:47 AM

he’s gotta do what he’s gotta do. the bears have already thoroughly shown what they were gonna do. not pay him, put the offense on his back and run him till the tires have no tread.

16. jagwar73 says: Dec 18, 2011 8:51 AM

Good for you Matt. I’m glad it didn’t work out the other way (with a serious injury) and the Bears cut you. Can’t believe they haven’t paid you yet.

17. davo83 says: Dec 18, 2011 8:55 AM

Remember the Bears did offer him a contract in the neighborhood of $15 million guaranteed which Forte rejected, so it’s not like the Bears have refused to pay the man. RBs have short lifespans if Forte doesn’t like that then he should play WR or CB. How many people would be complaining about how dumb Angelo was if they gave him a Chris Johnson type deal and he quit producing.

Personally, I’m sick of hearing Forte whine, he was given a contract offer and to not be willing to help your team when they most need it to have any shot at the playoffs is selfish.

18. msokevitz says: Dec 18, 2011 8:57 AM

I don’t blame him either, they jerked him around for a year now they have to reap what they sow. I think these idiots are all overpaid but that’s not the point

19. nikkodawg says: Dec 18, 2011 9:00 AM

———————————-

That’s horse crap! As a Bears fan who loves Forte and despises Angelo, I do have to admit, Forte turned down a good deal. Just because other teams overpaid for RBs like the Panthers did with DWill, doesn’t mean Forte got lowballed.

20. packersrule12 says: Dec 18, 2011 9:05 AM

Your mind is kicking yourself in the a$$ for not accepting the offer they made you before the season started.

So the Bears just started running your dumb a$$ into the ground. You were already running out of gas when you got hurt.

It’s funny now that Cutler is out, and you see how bad your backup is, he has become the greatest QB in the history of the NFL.
    If Cutler wasn’t hurt we could be this, we could be that!

Breaking news, Cutler isn’t that good!

Let see how good you are next year with your over the hill defense.

21. righton989 says: Dec 18, 2011 9:08 AM

He’s not going to play until Hurd delivers the product he paid for.

22. johnnyjagfan says: Dec 18, 2011 9:11 AM

@grizzleybear34:

you’re really going to call out MJD right now, this year, given what he’s proven to the league? He’s out there with the worst line and offense in all of football and he’s likely to win the rushing title. I’d find someone else to call out.

Forte is doing the right thing.

23. ruffbufffire says: Dec 18, 2011 9:14 AM

Good for you Matt! Bears wont pay so dont play!

24. miami305killerdolphins says: Dec 18, 2011 9:15 AM

I hope they dnt make the playoff (PLAYOFF!!!!) They dnt want to pay the man, n he is they hold offense! He he should play hurt for the rest of the year!!!

25. cowhawkfan says: Dec 18, 2011 9:20 AM

, hopefully behind Tebow!

26. FinFan68 says: Dec 18, 2011 9:23 AM

I like Forte but he is being a punk. The Bears offered him a big contract and he turned it down because he wanted stupid money. He is hurt but he won’t play due to money. He implied that the moment he got hurt. He is showing the Bears and the rest of the NFL that he is one of the guys that would be a problem if given the contract he wants.

He is a good RB and accounts for a large portion of the Bears offense but he also has some bad games–9inch per carry kinda games. The Bears should offer the same money as before and IR his butt (at his current lower salary) if he doesn’t take it. The Bears still have a shot at the playoffs and could actually win if Cutler can play. Selfish “me first” attitudes like Forte’s hurt the team as much as his absence does.

27. lilrob10201 says: Dec 18, 2011 9:26 AM

So is this a way of paying back the front office for not paying you ?

28. lilrob10201 says: Dec 18, 2011 9:28 AM

————————————————-
    PLAYOFFS!?!? DONT TALK ABOUT PLAYOFFS! PLAYOFFS !?!?

29. 2difshoe says: Dec 18, 2011 9:46 AM

The offer was 21 million for 3 years.

That would be $ 198,000. a month for 106 months.

Fair or not ?

The injury, and I wish none on any player, becomes his hold-out in disguise.

Bear management can now see when you disrespect a player, there are repercussions seen and unseen.

I hope Matt heals and is compensated fairly for his complete on field production.

30. sweetnlow44 says: Dec 18, 2011 9:47 AM

Showing his true colors. The owners should blackball punks like this. What ever happened to playing because you just love to play?

31. 3ghostninja says: Dec 18, 2011 9:51 AM

When I first saw the headline, I thought it said “I won’t play until 1 am” (as in 1:00 AM).

Good decision on Forte’s part. Sometimes you have to make sure you’ve healed 100% or you’ll be susceptible to recurrences and other injuries.

32. kenny328usa says: Dec 18, 2011 9:54 AM

Good for you Matt. Why go out and lay it on the line for a team that doesn’t wanna pay you fair market value. Screw them! Get healthy so your new team can pay you what you deserve.

33. addict2sport says: Dec 18, 2011 10:00 AM

Wait, he is still under contract, right? A contract he did sign, right? Why all the whining about him not having a new deal? Same with DJax. If you don’t like your contract you are to blame for signing it in the first place. So you think you are outplaying your current contract? What, you didn’t expect yourself to play well so you signed a “low ball” initial deal? C’mon man. Play out your contract. If you are afraid of getting hurt even more so you won’t play until you’re 100% that’s one thing (that in itself is a topic worthy of extended debate) but quit whining about your contract. You signed it, now play thru it.

34. addict2sport says: Dec 18, 2011 10:01 AM

Is anyone 100% healthy at this point of the season?

35. tommytd says: Dec 18, 2011 10:10 AM

Screw the Bears – stay on the bench – you owe them nothing.

36. chargers308 says: Dec 18, 2011 10:17 AM

Smarter than the average bear!

37. bleed4philly says: Dec 18, 2011 10:18 AM

He’s just playing for a new contract, why come back when he doesn’t have to, he already proved his worth. Everyone should take notice of all the other players out there just playing for a contract now, like the entire buccaneers roster. See what the lockout does to people? yeah they gotta be careful, but if you underpay someone, they will look for any reason to quit.

38. spellingcops says: Dec 18, 2011 10:22 AM

johnnyjagfan says:
    Dec 18, 2011 9:11 AM
    @grizzleybear34:

Forte is doing the right thing.
    ————————————–
    Is it just me, or are jags fans the most sensitive, whiny b!tches of anyone? Waaa, you said something about our rb, waaa. Hopefully moving to LA will toughen them up a little bit.

39. cardmagnet says: Dec 18, 2011 10:26 AM

He is suffering from Payhim Hilli$ Syndrome. Once he gets that contract, he’ll be fit as a fiddle. He played hard and showed he deserves it, now he’s going to sit out and show he’s needed.

40. thegreatness34 says: Dec 18, 2011 10:39 AM

Fans trashing Forte for not playing are pretty naive. Number one, he’s hurt. Number two, this love of the game crap is stupid talk. This is a BUSINESS. Someone’s livelihood. You and I can’t do it because we don’t have his talent. Forte has earned his respect, and a decent contract. The Bears, who milk the crap out of fans, are just greedy little misers. If forte was healthy, he’d be out there. But he’s not going to put his career at risk. Nobody in his shoes would. We will end up losing this great player, and then have to put up with more salaams, enis’, bensons, and other crap we have drafted since Payton and Anderson.

41. wyoyyz says: Dec 18, 2011 10:47 AM

Just lay low and get healthy for next year.

42. jimmysee says: Dec 18, 2011 10:55 AM

“Lambeau Field is collllllllld this time of year!”

43. j972 says: Dec 18, 2011 11:18 AM

forte’s a quitter. His carrer is over.

44. jessethegreat says: Dec 18, 2011 11:19 AM

If the Bears aren’t careful he might decide to take his talents to south beach. Now if he and Brees were both to join the party down there, they would instantly turn them into a credible franchise again. Would be nice to get both players out of the NFC.

45. Derty Ernie says: Dec 18, 2011 11:53 AM

on the other hand if they were to offer me a ton o ‘ cash, I probably could be back by next week.

Its not like he doesn’t know his body, but he doesn’t know if he will be healed in three weeks or not. How could he possibly know that one way or the other.

Of course if I had a concussion the doctor cannot tell me my head doesn’t hurt inside if I tell him it does. It can hurt for as long as I want it to.

The bears were probably smart to not give him a new contract. I think the guy is a pain the arse off the field in the clubhouse and that’s what the bears want to get rid of.

46. stoutfiles says: Dec 18, 2011 11:54 AM

The Bears are going to pay him, and then he’ll just get hurt again. He always gets hurt.

RB is the easiest position to replace. Plug someone else in and spend your money on other, harder to replace positions.

47. frankdatank23 says: Dec 18, 2011 11:58 AM

should have paid the man…….. like said earlier, its a two way street.

48. seytonmanning says: Dec 18, 2011 12:01 PM

He’s basically holding the team hostage by using his Injury to hold out.the bears offered him money, he turned it down and it then became the bears mindset that they would let him play out the season and tag him next year if a contract could not be hammered out.but with rumors around the team that he can play but is choosing not to I can’t see a contract being worked out as the bears are going to take this as a slap to the face, especially since cutlers down and they need every good player they can get on that field.he’s going to be seen as not a team player and I guarentee the bears will leak info to the press next years that his ankle was fine and team doctors said he was good to go.all if this won’t come out until next year but ill bet he doesent return to the bears.they are going to focus on more weapons for Cutler.forte is seen as disloyal to the bears organization he wont be back

49. Pacific NW Mark says: Dec 18, 2011 12:03 PM

The Bears negotiating stance with Forte is based on the belief that running backs are a commodity and they can always find someone else to supply half of their offensive production.

Over the last two weeks we’ve seen exactly how accurately that belief stacks up against reality. But I’m not holding my breath that the bears will have a change of heart.