After blocking game-winning field goal, Suh addresses “mistake”

Detroit Lions v Oakland Raiders Getty Images

Ndamukong Suh blocked Sebastian Janikowski’s 65-yard field goal attempt on the final play of the Lions’ 28-27 win over the Raiders on Sunday, and afterward he talked about the two-game suspension that had kept him away from the team since his infamous Thanksgiving stomp.

“I wanted to address this,” Suh said, via the Detroit Free Press. “It’s something that I’ve dealt with and am trying to move forward with. I have apologized about it, obviously on my Facebook page, but also after the game. I made a mistake. The biggest thing for me is that I’ve dealt with and am moving past it, and happy to be back on the field with my team. The biggest thing for me is just wanting to sincerely move forward from it.”

Suh’s “mistake” was a pretty big one, and his public apologies have been criticized in some quarters for not mentioning the man he stomped on, Green Bay offensive lineman Evan Dietrich-Smith. But Suh said the two talked on the phone and “are on very good terms.”

The Lions will need Suh to make more big plays like the win-sealing block of Janikowski’s kick.

“I put my hand up and it hit my thumb and I looked back and saw it twirling and that’s when you see me run off and I take my helmet off,” Suh said. “I’m usually not that excited about things, but it’s what you play the game for.”

Suh ran off the field in celebration after that, a much different departure than the way he was escorted off the field after being ejected in his last game.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
49 Responses to “After blocking game-winning field goal, Suh addresses “mistake””
  1. toegoat says: Dec 19, 2011 8:09 AM

O.D.B. Dirt McGirt

2. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 19, 2011 8:12 AM

Watch these clowns STILL have something negative to say, or some limpwristed “karmic” response.

3. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 19, 2011 8:12 AM

In other news, the Raiders are serious choke artists.

4. furnzilla says: Dec 19, 2011 8:18 AM

First let’s see him go a few games without being a bonehead. He’s a beast, but play with your emotions under control

5. suhsquad says: Dec 19, 2011 8:24 AM

Much needed confidence for Ndamukong Suh moving on. Hopefully he returns back to his classy ways and avoids stupid mistakes.

6. bcar1023 says: Dec 19, 2011 8:24 AM

Hopefully the young man is learning. Time will tell. I’m sure the haters will still come down hard on him. Either way, it was great to see him back on the field and having an impact. That was a couple of weak horse collar calls though. Take the pads off if you don’t want to be tackled by them.

7. primetime0552 says: Dec 19, 2011 8:25 AM

People who didn’t watch the game are going to look at the box score and only see two tackles and start saying how he has no impact. He did make a huge play on the block, obviously. Even with him getting a piece of the ball it still made it to the 3 yard line or so. I think if he doesn’t get a piece of the ball Janikowski makes that kick. Tulloch, Levy, Durant would not have 26 combined tackles if it wasn’t for Suh taking double teams most of the game. Carson Palmer had way to much time to pass though. Defensive line played pretty poor overall for the Lions. Sure Avril had 2 sacks(one he was called for a horse collar.) Lions need to play better across the defensive line. They also need to get healthy in the secondary. Matthew Stafford is living up to being the #1 overall pick and is making his way to being one of the elite QBs in the league. He threw for 391 yards yesterday with 10 dropped passes. Could have been a bigger game if the receivers would stop dropping the ball. Pettigrew is a huge target and usually has good numbers, but he still drops the ball way to often. Two games in a row where they didn’t make a stupid penatly to shoot themselves in the foot. Hopefully they are starting to learn.

8. pbolyard says: Dec 19, 2011 8:34 AM

Suh should have done the explaining last week but I guess this will do.

9. thedisbackindtown says: Dec 19, 2011 8:36 AM

I would think that finally all the haters will quiet down a little. He is no James Harrison when it comes to dirty play. He got caught up in the moment and made a really dumb choice. I think he paid his due, he apologized, and now he is ready to move on. I think the rest of you (media) should too. Great win Detroit! Go Lions!

10. lionsfan54 says: Dec 19, 2011 8:36 AM

Oh good, I was worried we were going to go 24 hours without a post bashing the Lions here, thanks for keeping the streak going! /sarcasm

11. winskins says: Dec 19, 2011 8:38 AM

No doubt he wants to just “move forward” from this.
    Easy to say, not so easy to do.

Thanks to “Stompy” Haynesworth, the sports world will be watching Mr. Suh to see if he has changed how he does business. Because if he hasn’t, this is just Chapter One, folks.

12. giftnthecurse says: Dec 19, 2011 8:40 AM

He’s Back!

13. fittytuckin says: Dec 19, 2011 8:42 AM

This guy is not the quiet humble guy the media wants you to believe. He’s the punk we know he is

14. klunge says: Dec 19, 2011 8:44 AM

Congrats to the author, I know it was hard for you to write an article about Suh/Lions that had an overall positive tone. Kudos!

Glad about the win, postseason is not a sure bet and they need to start playing better to make it worth even getting there. Just being a realistic fan, they haven’t pulled out any miracle comebacks against playoff-calibre competition, and other teams that could spoil it for them are peaking right now. Gotta hold it together! Go Lions!

15. jpb12 says: Dec 19, 2011 8:45 AM

Seems pretty clear that the guy has anger issues. He’s a beast. Every fan wants him on their team… Won’t be surprised if he fails some steroid test in future.

Having said all that, he’s 24.

Move on.

16. zlmillerkazz says: Dec 19, 2011 8:46 AM

Suh like the rest of this team believe in themselves & support one another… this is what separates them from the “same ole’ Lions”

– They never give up, no matter what.

SUHHHHHH

17. cornersportsnet says: Dec 19, 2011 8:48 AM

Just play hard suh and use your head and raiders tease us once again there pretenders not contenders

18. raiders757 says: Dec 19, 2011 8:59 AM

Suh ruined what would have been a most exciting history making end to a game. Bummer.

19. suhnami says: Dec 19, 2011 8:59 AM

people who hate on Suh a) don’t know anything about football and b) never watched a lions game.

keep commenting on the “stat line” like that has any bearing on the effectiveness of DEFENSIVE TACKLE…just shows your ignorance.

if you WATCH a game you see the constant pressure up the middle suh brings as he collapses the pocket from the inside unlike any other DT in the game….all while being doubled team.

20. worldwidebleater says: Dec 19, 2011 9:01 AM

I think in order to clear the “karmic slate”, he should have let Janikowski kick him in the fellas.

21. whyalwaysthehate says: Dec 19, 2011 9:03 AM

Back off the roids for the holidays.

22. easyeddie says: Dec 19, 2011 9:31 AM

Talk about anger issues. Rolando McClain anyone?

23. polegojim says: Dec 19, 2011 9:47 AM

Great Lions Win – Many contributors – great job by Stafford.

My concern is that this D is underperforming and far from the domination we hoped for. Not even remotely playing up to their potential. Gash gash gash by RBs.

Gunther?

That said – GO LIONS!

24. tg1896 says: Dec 19, 2011 9:48 AM

The guy has anger issues? That’s hilarious. HELLOOOO – he plays in the NFL. I don’t want him on my team if he doesn’t have anger issues.

I’m not a Lions fan (but I am glad they’re not having another doormat season). He made a mistake (not a huge one – but a mistake nonetheless). He apologized. He may be sincere – he may not. I’ll take his word for it. If he proves me wrong – I’ll pile on like everyone else.

Let’s move on.

25. rexismybff says: Dec 19, 2011 9:49 AM

Suh is back just in time to hammer Rogers for a 3rd straight Cheesehead loss, as the defending chumps limp into a one-and-done playoff-run.

GB = 2005 and 2007 Indy Colts and 2008 Titans and 2010 Pats all over again.

26. warvette says: Dec 19, 2011 9:52 AM

jeez, all these lions fans complaining about “haters”. inferiority complex much? the guy is and always will be just minutes away from his next psychotic episode. get used to it already.

27. bostonhasrealhockey says: Dec 19, 2011 9:53 AM

8-8

28. rkolenda says: Dec 19, 2011 10:05 AM

@jpb12

Where did you get your psych degree?

29. autumnwind999 says: Dec 19, 2011 10:05 AM

Really wish we could’ve seen that kick get a chance.

Said Janikowski after the game:

“I can’t kick it any better,” Janikowski said. “The snap and Shane’s placement was perfect.”

Really would’ve had a chance. I’ve seen Janikowski drill many a 55+ yard try with a ton of room to spare. I’ve seen him hit a 63-yarder this year. I’ve seen him hit a 64-yarder halfway up the goalpost at the Coliseum before.

Lions are very lucky Suh got a hand on that.

30. CKL says: Dec 19, 2011 10:22 AM

I HATE when people say they made “mistakes” when they actually keep making willfully bad decisions. Cop out. A mistake is bumping into a table and breaking a lamp, not getting butthurt about being blocked and stomping someone or continuing to grab QBS by the head and throw them down after you’ve been fined for it.

31. mizzouram says: Dec 19, 2011 10:23 AM

I love how Suh got 2 games and an ejection for stepping on a OL’s arm but James Harrison gets one game for attempting to kill a guy out on the feild.

32. brett76 says: Dec 19, 2011 10:32 AM

bostonhasrealhockey says: Dec 19, 2011 9:53 AM

8-8
    ——————————————————

Except they have 9 wins now.

& all the Roid comments mean you people have no idea steroids actually do or what effect they have on a person.

33. ahs2 says: Dec 19, 2011 10:38 AM

This dead horse has been kicked for nearly a month…let it go. He screwed up, he served his punishment and did everything he’s “supposed” to do…jeesh!!!!!

34. ahs2 says: Dec 19, 2011 10:40 AM

warvette says:
    Dec 19, 2011 9:52 AM
    ________________________________

In the infamous words of Bill Parcells, “You’ve been sucked!”…sucked right in!

35. ahs2 says: Dec 19, 2011 10:43 AM

worldwidebleater says:
    Dec 19, 2011 9:01 AM
    ___________________________________
    Karma holds no grudge for a guy that lost his cool and gets a suspension during a playoff chase and is docked nearly $200k for grazing the arm during his “stomp”

36. orangeflh says: Dec 19, 2011 10:45 AM

Lions fans, quit with the “poor me, everybody picks on me” garbage already. Suh did what he did, and will get ragged on until his performance and behavior dictate otherwise.

He doesn’t get a free pass just because the Lions stunk so bad for so long.

37. texbornlsufan says: Dec 19, 2011 10:48 AM

Going to be one of the greatest if he can control his emotions

38. lks311 says: Dec 19, 2011 10:54 AM

pbolyard says:
    Dec 19, 2011 8:34 AM
    Suh should have done the explaining last week but I guess this will do.
    __________________________________

Same guy that will be complaining about his gifts and Christmas dinner this weekend. Let it go.

39. savagenation2011 says: Dec 19, 2011 11:09 AM

…. Suh said. “I’m usually not that excited about things, but it’s what you play the game for.”

Haha

40. rwmilli says: Dec 19, 2011 11:11 AM

Get over the James Harrison incident already as well, not a steelers nor lions fan but you guys are dumb if you don’t think all players aren’t dirty in some way, it’s the NFL you don make it there by being a prissy rule abiding player….Harrison says he could of knocked McCoy out I’ll believe him on that…an IMO not condoning the hit but that was the last hit he threw that should of suspended him…

41. godofwine330 says: Dec 19, 2011 11:14 AM

He better be glad he was relatively close to the sideline when he took off his helmet because he could have been the next Dwayne Rudd (the Cleveland Browns player that took off his helmet at the end of the game, got penalized 15 yards and set up the other team’s game winning field goal).

42. deconjonesbitchslap says: Dec 19, 2011 11:22 AM

raiders looked like the vikings choking yesterday. good grief.

65 yard field goal? jesus. some guys can’t even throw that far.

43. hatesycophants says: Dec 19, 2011 11:23 AM

With jealous asshats like Michael out there posing as sports writers, you won’t be able to move on. He will mention it at every opportunity. He will invent opportunities to mention it. Mike Wise is right about Skip Bayliss Jr (Michael Smith). Don’t defend your behavior, improve it. Just as decent fans expect of Suh.

Go Lions! Go Badgers!

44. primetime0552 says: Dec 19, 2011 11:46 AM

autumnwind999 says:Dec 19, 2011 10:05 AM

Really wish we could’ve seen that kick get a chance.

Said Janikowski after the game:

Lions are very lucky Suh got a hand on that.

===========================

I am a Lions fan and I am pretty srue Janikowski makes that kicked if not partially blocked. It still made it to the 3 yard line! I would still take Hanson over Janikowski though. Kind of hard not to when he has been the best player on your team for many of the years over the last 20..haha. I am glad Suh is able to jump like he can otherwise the Lions would be fighting for their playoffs the last two weeks. Janikowski is the one kicker you dont want to be facing when the game is on the line. Get it to the 50 and he actually has a legitimate shot to make the kick. It’s pretty amazing.

45. megatron1120 says: Dec 19, 2011 12:26 PM

Suh is a very classy and kind gentlemen despite what the haters think, he does display it along with his intelligence. Suh is also dominating people, half the sacks the lions defensive line gets comes from the fact that suh eats up about 2 or 3 blockers a play, the guy is dominating and is a threatening factor on the lions defensive line! however i think they should get a little more creative and line him up as a defensive end in some packages just to mix it up. But the lions D line did not do that good this game and i hope to see them improve because they do have good play makers!

46. flickaboogie says: Dec 19, 2011 1:16 PM

godofwine330 says:
    Dec 19, 2011 11:14 AM

The game was over, everybody was taking their helmets off.

47. masterblaster78 says: Dec 19, 2011 5:36 PM

Suh is a good player, no doubt. He just needs to clean up his act a little. I’d be curious if he didn’t block that FG if Seabass would have or could have made that FG. The better team won due to bad defensive play calling on the Raiders part, but that’s part of football. The better team won this time around and wish the Lions good luck. Hopefully the Raiders and win the rest of their games and the Donkeys will lose.

48. zamp27 says: Dec 20, 2011 11:55 PM

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 19, 2011, 7:59 AM EST

———————-

Really? Was it that different? Beauty of an observation David.

Nice job! Build Suh up and knock him down! This is what you clowns do best at PFT.

49. staffordsyear says: Dec 21, 2011 6:04 AM