Johnny Knox can recover in 3-4 months

Seattle Seahawks v Chicago Bears Getty Images

Johnny Knox’s gruesome back injury on Sunday against the Seahawks will end his season.

That’s no surprise. Thankfully, the prognosis for Knox’s recovery is good. Vaughn McClure of the Chicago Tribune reports that Knox can recover in roughly 3-4 months.

Knox reportedly cracked a facet joint, which help keep the spinal column stable. Lovie Smith didn’t believe the hit was dirty.

“No, I can’t say that. The guy was playing hard. An unfortunate play. It’s a violent sport,” Smith said.

Despite starting the year on the bench, Knox has almost twice as many receiving yards as any wideout on the team. 2012 is the last year on his rookie contract.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Johnny Knox can recover in 3-4 months”
  1. localbandhero says: Dec 19, 2011 4:32 PM

The way his body twisted almost made me gag. Glad he’ll be ok.

2. johnnyjagfan says: Dec 19, 2011 4:34 PM

Ouch.

3. trollhammer20 says: Dec 19, 2011 4:38 PM

I hope he gets well and returns to form. That was the most cringeworthy hit I’ve ever seen, and that includes Theismann and Napoleon McCallum, who nearly had to have his leg amuptated after a MNF injury in the early 90s. There are contortionists who don’t bend that far backwards.

Also, totally clean play by Hargrove. Dude sees a ball on the ground, what else is he supposed to do but dive for it? It was just a very unfortunate accident.

Get well fast, Knox.

4. tone360 says: Dec 19, 2011 4:43 PM

Take care this offseason Johnny see you next year.

5. fan555 says: Dec 19, 2011 4:52 PM

Get well soon, Johnny.

You have a lot of fans.

6. fittytuckin says: Dec 19, 2011 4:55 PM

You still got Devin Hester.

7. rickditka says: Dec 19, 2011 4:58 PM

I’m sorry Knox is hurt, because I don’t wish anything bad to happen to him. But he’s too scared to be an NFL Football player. His fear of contact again broke his concentration and he got blasted while trying to recover. Maybe next year the Bears will have some NFL WR’s.

8. KIR says: Dec 19, 2011 4:59 PM

Good news! I hope he makes a full recovery.

When I see the average backup players for baseball and basketball making 5 or 6 million, actors, singers and entertainers getting 10 to 20 mil, and news anchors getting 2 million, it truly baffles me to see people who say they’re football fans complaining about the NON guaranteed salary of NFL players who have to endure concussions, broken bones, torn ligaments, possible paralysis and premature death. These guys will have injuries that they’ll have to live with for the rest of their lives and their careers are short. They deserve every penny they get. In case you’ve forgotten, that’s called capitalism people.

9. tformation says: Dec 19, 2011 5:03 PM

Yes, godspeed with your recovery, John.

10. duhbears says: Dec 19, 2011 5:06 PM

Take care and get well fast, Johnny Knox.

11. earthtopft says: Dec 19, 2011 5:07 PM

Johnny “Hard” Knox.

12. cfos00 says: Dec 19, 2011 5:34 PM

The hit looked totally clean, just an unfortunate accident from two guys playing hard. As bad as this injury is, it looked like it could be a lot worse. Football players are people beyond the game too, and it’d be terrible to see someone not be able to walk around with their kids from an accident playing a game. The whole offense seems snakebit this season, but if that injury doesn’t put things into perspective for people watching, not much will. Get well, Bears fans will be happy to see you back.

13. cowhawkfan says: Dec 19, 2011 5:43 PM

Surprised its not worse. Looked like he was gonna be split in half. Dude must be awesome at the Limbo stick with that kinda flexibility. Glad he will recover.

14. bluefan204 says: Dec 19, 2011 5:46 PM

Best of luck to Johnny. It’s incredible that the damage wasn’t far worse than it looked

15. bordner says: Dec 19, 2011 5:48 PM

That was gruesome.

Every once in a while you see a hit that reminds you just how dangerous this sport is. When may gripe about how much money these men are making for playing a game, but they literally are putting their health for the rest of their lives on the line every time they step on the field. It could all be over on any one play.

I’m a Packer fan and Knox is one of the few bears that I actually like. But regardless of whether I liked him or not, thank God he’s going to be OK. That was a scary sight.

16. 2difshoe says: Dec 19, 2011 5:58 PM

Johnny Knox is one of the good guys, the thankful ones in the NFL.

Knox founded a charity for the less advantaged youth and is holding a Holiday Party for them this week…a good all around guy !

Best of health and a speedy recovery Johnny Knox.

17. 46defense says: Dec 19, 2011 6:19 PM

It’s nice to see fans of other teams wishing Knox well. I feel the same way every time time anyone Green Bay, Detroit, or Minnesota gets hurt.

18. Derty Ernie says: Dec 19, 2011 6:41 PM

Hope he fully recovers. Spine injuries are nasty and may cancel his career but if quality of life is good without pain and serious stiffness, then that may be the best they can do.

19. darthhitman77 says: Dec 19, 2011 7:15 PM

As a Lions fan I HATE the Bears, but anyone that would rejoice over an injury or hope for one is a sick individual. I am glad the Bears are about done, but Knox is a good kid and I’m glad he’s going to be okay. Get well Johnny, spinal column injury could have been so much worse.

20. veence69 says: Dec 19, 2011 7:29 PM

Get better, Johnny.

21. dbara43 says: Dec 19, 2011 7:55 PM

Seahawks fans wish you well.

db

22. mcdeez22 says: Dec 19, 2011 9:34 PM

Thank God this is a 3-4 month injury and not a 8-9 month injury. It’s not the type of injury you want to see a player come back from when they are 99% healthy. That hit was truly gruesome. I hope there are no lingering effects. If he goes down in a game next year and is motionless, I am not going to be worried about his season. I am going to be worried about his life.

Get well soon, Johnny. And get 100% well.

23. hansenbrothers says: Dec 19, 2011 10:14 PM

Packers nation wishes you well.

24. ahs2 says: Dec 19, 2011 10:20 PM

Recover quick and well, Johnny!!!

A Lions Fan

25. 2Wheels2Many says: Dec 19, 2011 11:17 PM

Great to see all is well. Scary hit, to say the least.

26. buzzbissinger says: Dec 20, 2011 2:15 AM

Godspeed, J.K.

BB

27. almighty1 says: Dec 20, 2011 8:48 AM

When I saw the replay I literally shouted in shock. My kids thought I hurt myself.