Tomlin won’t commit to starting Roethlisberger Saturday

Pittsburgh Steelers v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin won’t apologize for leaving Ben Roethlisberger in at the end of Pittsbugh’s 20-3 loss to the 49ers. Big Ben wanted to stay in, so he did.

“He and I have been in that situation before,” Tomlin said Tuesday via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I know what kind of competitor he is. I wanted to support him in that.”

Whether Roethlisberger plays Saturday against the Rams is another question. Tomlin wouldn’t commit to a decision on Tuesday, which is no surprise.  Tomlin did reveal Mewelde Moore suffered a sprained MCL.

We think the Steelers may as well rest Roethlisberger.

The chances of Pittsburgh getting a playoff bye at this stage are slim. They would need the Texans and the Ravens to lose in the next two weeks. If Pittsburgh needs to win three straight playoff games to make the Super Bowl, they need a healthy Roethlisberger.

It makes a lot of sense to sit Roethlisberger on this short week. The Steelers should be able to handle the Rams in Pittsburgh, even with Charlie Batch at quarterback.

It made sense for the Steelers to go all out Monday night to get a playoff bye. It just didn’t work. Now the focus should be on getting Roethlisberger healthy for the playoffs.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
40 Responses to “Tomlin won’t commit to starting Roethlisberger Saturday”
  1. holeinone09 says: Dec 20, 2011 6:15 PM

Main goal is to prepare for the playoffs. I guess there is some chance that the Bengals rise up against the Ravens in final week, so you don’t want to lose. They can start Charlie and see how things go.

Last night, a healthy Ben most likely would have avoided SF rush and made some big plays with his WRs scrambling. A healthy Ben probably avoids the fumble play altogether, but he could barely move. That’s the breaks.

At this point, might as well consider sitting both Ben and Woodley, and maybe Pouncey. Woodley was starting to have a monster season when he hurt the hamstring. All of them need to be as healthy as possible for the playoffs.

GO STEELERS!!

2. beefer49 says: Dec 20, 2011 6:29 PM

It was nice to see the Steelers beaten last night. Cheese burger should not have played… But as for avoiding our pass rush and making big plays… Dream on… the game is already played you lost

3. citizenstrange says: Dec 20, 2011 6:38 PM

In what kind of messed up football world is three points all out?

4. citynative says: Dec 20, 2011 6:38 PM

Unimpressed by the Niners? Its ok. Im a Niner fan and I too think they are good and not great as well. A lot of work to do in the off-season on offense. That being said the posts on this website before and after the game were laughable. Before– it was the Niners had no chance, Alex Smith is still your QB, welcome to the AFC North, and it doesn’t matter if Ben or Batch QB’s. After– it was the refs, the lights, and the injuries. Don’t get it twisted…the Niners were missing Patrick Willis and 3 out of their top 4 wide receivers (Ginn for half the game & he returns punts) Pittsburgh, our game is not sexy but does running the football first, a serviceable passing game, and a great defense and special teams sound familiar? Oh yeah, that’s how the Steelers won 5 out of their 6 Super Bowls.

Lastly, to all the Steeler fans that made the trip to The Stick…. Thank you! Thanks for packing our restaurants downtown, staying at our hotels, visiting our tourist sites, filling our bars, and boosting our wallets. You brought millions into our local economy to see your team………..lose. You call this “Steelers Nation”, copying from your rival…the Raiders. We think you’re a bunch of suckers. In four years we will not reciprocate because…. well…its Pittsburgh. Have a safe trip home and best of luck the rest of the season.

5. clamnewton says: Dec 20, 2011 6:52 PM

Ben can’t sit next week. The 9’ers have a big division game against the Seahawks on Sunday. San Fran wouldn’t sit their best player, would they?

6. antibenapalooza says: Dec 20, 2011 6:54 PM

I am looking forward to the day when he does not come onto the field as a Steeler.

7. knowerofallthings says: Dec 20, 2011 6:55 PM

We all know he isn’t gonna play Saturday. If Tomlin had any sense he wouldn’t have let him play last night

8. Deb says: Dec 20, 2011 6:58 PM

Mike, I love you. But it’s not your job to support Ben in whatever he wants to do. It’s not the Roethlisbergers. It’s the Steelers. And it wasn’t in the team’s best interest to leave him out there until the bitter end of that game. If the posts on here about him not taking a pain shot are true … why did he play at all? You can do a lot of things through pain. Throw on the money probably isn’t one of them. Batch might not have connected with Wallace on a beautiful downfield pass play. But he also might not have connected three times with the 49ers D.

Ben is responsible for a lot of this team’s success. But letting Ben think he runs the whole show has been responsible for a lot of its headaches, too. I don’t need Tomlin to apologize. I need to know he’s making the decisions and not letting the QB make them for him.

9. textexington says: Dec 20, 2011 6:59 PM

Packers>Steelers

10. Deb says: Dec 20, 2011 7:14 PM

@textexington …

I’ve been a diehard Steelers fan for 34 years. Have loved that team through thick and thin, very thin. But one thing I’ve never done is go onto the threads of the Vikes, Cowboys, Rams, Seahawks, or Cardinals the night after, a year after, or a decade after our Super Bowl victories and post that the Steelers are better than your team nahnahnahnahnah :P

Guess that’s because I’m a grownup, all potty-trained, and everything.

11. citynative says: Dec 20, 2011 7:58 PM

My last post came off harsher than I wanted. My bad. My point was to respond to a good number of Steelers fans after the Ravens game, before last night, and after last night. All fan bases have good and bad….we all know that. Thanks for coming to our yard. We will pay the electrical bill next time. Best of luck to you folks the rest of the season.

12. finsinthewater says: Dec 20, 2011 8:00 PM

I have been a long time Baltimore Colts/Ravens fan and I agree with most of Deb’s posts. All of the middle school people on this site get on my nerves as well. I would rather just talk football without the name calling etc.
    As far as last nights game, I thought Ben looked hurt. He could not step into his throws and thus I think he was off. Ben’s game is to move around, extend the play and then hit someone down field. He could not do it because he could not move and he took some big shots and could have gotten really hurt and lost for the year. Foolish to play him. I do not think Batch gets you to the super bowl.

13. rexryanseacrest says: Dec 20, 2011 8:36 PM

@deb
    For someone who claims to be the one of the more level-headed “bloggers” on here, you get awfully bent out of shape when fools write stuff on here with the sole purpose of getting a rise out of people. That guy probably isn’t even a packers fan but you take the bait every time. Haha. Potty trained? You really got him there.

14. textexington says: Dec 20, 2011 8:40 PM

The internet wasn’t around in the 70’s Deb. The Packers defeated the Steelers 31-25 in Superbowl XLV. THUS Packers>Steelers. LOL.

15. Deb says: Dec 20, 2011 8:43 PM

antibenapalooza says:

————————————————–
    Since you’re a Ravens fan and he still has a lot more wins than losses against you guys, I’m sure you do. LOL

16. rexryanseacrest says: Dec 20, 2011 9:05 PM

Everyone else > Deb

17. jeepin08 says: Dec 20, 2011 9:11 PM

The Rams will beat the stealers. Book it in Vegas.
    Make some money. They are really not that good and are extremely overated by their fans. Their entire fan base wants the whole team fired.

18. db105 says: Dec 20, 2011 9:16 PM

@ citynative

Most of those Steeler fans at the stick last night are not from Pittsburgh. Most are locals. Same with all those Cowboy fans across the country.

19. PCa Survivor says: Dec 20, 2011 10:19 PM

citynative says:
    Dec 20, 2011 6:38 PM

“…Lastly, to all the Steeler fans that made the trip to The Stick…”
    ____________________________________________________

Been listening to those commentators saying how well Steeler Nation travels, huh? I’m sure a few do but as one who traveled to Arizona this year and San Diego in the past and looked to meet others from back east — I never found any. Many, if not most, of Steeler Nation which invades the local stadium are indeed, locals – who simply love the Steelers. Most have a connection to Pittsburgh, generally a parent or grandparent from there, but some are bandwagon hoppers too. So before you yell at them trying to sound cute – “Go back to where yinz come from” — most probably live right around the corner from you.

20. clevername1 says: Dec 20, 2011 10:21 PM

@citynative

Your last post was very humble. That is something that is bereft of many of the posts on here…mine included. I sincerely wish you and all of PFT a Merry Christmas…..yes you too bozo.

21. 6ball says: Dec 20, 2011 10:26 PM

@textexington

packers > steelers

Technically true ….but so last year. This year is brand new …new players, coaches, injuries etc. Whatever plays the Packers made in last year’s super bowl are irrelevant. Now they’re just one of 32 trying to win this year.

Also, lets not forget ;

Buffalo over New England
    St.Louis over New Orleans
    Kansas City over Green Bay

The NFL can be humbling

22. allblakwitahlilbitahgold says: Dec 20, 2011 10:37 PM

@Deb

I thought it was good for tomlin to allow big ben to run the show. As a player you want that trust from your coaching staff…

23. tatum064 says: Dec 20, 2011 10:50 PM

Deb says:
    Dec 20, 2011 7:14 PM
    @textexington …

Guess that’s because I’m a grownup, all potty-trained, and everything
    =======================
    But the one thing you did do is post the “i’m grown up all potty-trained and everything” take after your team got its a%$ handed to it on Monday Night Football.

The “grown up” thing to do is to congratulate a team that beat you, and wish them luck the rest of the season…especially one with five rings and as great a legacy as yours.

24. Deb says: Dec 20, 2011 10:54 PM

rexryanseacrest …

When have I claimed to be a level-headed blogger? I enjoy smack as much as the next person. Just not into the teen variety like you are, pookie.

25. omegaichiban says: Dec 20, 2011 11:07 PM

Big Ben can’t be trusted when it comes to injuries. Remember when he almost killed himself on the motorcycle. Charlie batch had the team @ 3-1 or something like that. Big Ben said he was ready cowher went for it and the season went from sugar to something not so sweet. The “understanding” Tomlin should have had was that it’s in our best interest to let you get well for the playoffs.

26. heisthejuan says: Dec 20, 2011 11:09 PM

Big Ben’s ego lost the Steelers the #1 seed last night. His yardage was decent, but he couldn’t move and he turned the ball over FOUR times. Can’t tell me Batch couldn’t have done better than that.

Side Note: A friend of mine is a doctor doing diabetes research and works with the Steelers to do the research. He said Big Ben isn’t any different than before. Still a self-centered a-hole, just keeps a lower profile now.

27. cup1981 says: Dec 21, 2011 12:15 AM

Rest him up. We all know what happened last time the Steelers entered the playoffs as a wildcard. But don’t start Charlie Batch, give Dennis Dixon some snaps. Batch will be retiring soon and Dixon needs to show he is a suitable backup.

28. Deb says: Dec 21, 2011 12:17 AM

@tatum064 …

I posted congratulations to the 49ers on the 49ers thread–as I always post to teams after we lose. No excuses, no moaning. Just respect for the team that beat us. That has nothing to do with this thread or this conversation. You’re just looking for something to rag on me about. :roll:

29. trbowman says: Dec 21, 2011 12:30 AM

God, Roethlisberger and the Steelers always play this drama up everytime he’s hurt.

Does anyone really think come Saturday, Roethlisberger won’t be under center?

The answers no.

And Dixon is better than Batch

30. kokoskmr says: Dec 21, 2011 12:47 AM

Explain please, why do the Steelers with such a banged up O-line, waste 2 roster spots on backup QBs that they don’t play? Why don’t they cut Dixon and backfill with a reserve O-lineman? This makes NO sense!

31. hnicgm says: Dec 21, 2011 3:39 AM

@heisthejuan

….and some peeps still think dubya was a good president!

32. sudz28 says: Dec 21, 2011 8:02 AM

@textexington:
    So by your logic..

Chiefs>Packers

33. footballfan says: Dec 21, 2011 8:39 AM

PCa Survivor says: Dec 20, 2011 10:19 PM

citynative says:
    Dec 20, 2011 6:38 PM

“…Lastly, to all the Steeler fans that made the trip to The Stick…”
    ____________________________________________________

***********************

I watched a video a few years back about the “Steelers Nation”. A local Pitt radio station DJ was on it talking about how everyone says the Pitt fans travel well. He even said they do not travel, most are locals. I guess the city lost about a million jobs (not really exaggerating that number) back in the 70’s and 80’s with the fall of the steel industry. Most of the people moved away for jobs but kept on being Steeler fans. I know I have done a whole lot of traveling around the country and the world and one thing I always seem to run into is something Steelers. I have a friend that traveled with me on most occasions and he is a huge Steelers fan. He was able to find a bar in every city we hit that was full of Steeler fans on Sunday….

34. ravensgrl says: Dec 21, 2011 8:54 AM

@Deb,

I agree completely. Tomlin is the coach and needed to put his foot down and pull Ben out of the game to try to avoid further injury.
    Tomlin needs to take the reins and keep Ben out until the playoffs roll around.

35. grpatriot says: Dec 21, 2011 9:40 AM

Big Ben’s not a Diva or Drama Queen? He just wants to be the center of attraction!

36. grpatriot says: Dec 21, 2011 9:42 AM

Almost forgot…..Somebody find him a shoe that matches………I know it’s a differint size but, come on man!

37. grant444 says: Dec 21, 2011 10:54 AM

CityNative – is it possible there is anyone in this message board who is a bigger jacka$$ than you? Just because your team plays in a pathetic stadium & and your lame fans spilled their apple-tinis because the lights went out, doesn’t mean you know anything about tourism (“thanks for filling the restaurants”?). Just to remind you, the Niners haven’t won more than 8 gms in a season since 2002. Enjoy the ride – the Packers will make it a short one.

38. bray72 says: Dec 21, 2011 11:29 AM

I can’t believe you other diehard Steeler fans who take Tomlin’s comment to believe that somehow he doesn’t make the very best decision FOR THE TEAM.

He has absolutely NO history of sacrificing the team for ANY individual team member.

39. citynative says: Dec 21, 2011 6:18 PM

@ Grant444

Wow. Looks like I hit a nerve with you and a couple other fans. Did you not see my apology within the same hour of posting that?

A lot of what you say is true. Our stadium is pathetic. The Niners haven’t won more than 8 games in a season since 2002. The Packers are really good. The Niners are good but still a work in progress.

As far as being the biggest JA on here. Thats hard to be. There are a lot of them on this message board…and not too many apologize after a post. So to answer your question, I don’t think so.

To answer some other posts: Tourism vs. locals. Of course there are some of both that attended the game. This being said, I was downtown this weekend, and saw it all first hand… the hotels, the bars, the resturants, etc.

Again… sorry for the inital post. Way too harsh. On-the-field, I will say discussing injuries and refs are weak. The Steelers had some bad calls go against the them at the end of the game, but did that really make a difference at that point? The Steelers O had barely reached the red zone. Lastly, any organization that scraped wins against back-up Tyler Palko and back-up Kerry Collins should hold off on injuries comments.

Best of luck to the Steelers. 11 SB’s combined. Hopefully another one will come soon.

40. pizzon says: Dec 21, 2011 10:24 PM

I would normally support tomlin in most of his decisions but this is one of the most boneheaded decisions he has ever made. why would you risk losing your star player for the playoffs. and what makes it worse is that he allowed Ben to talk him into playing. if you already have a playoff spot locked up you sit the guy get healthy and prepare to make a run. its time for coach to make better decisions.