Plaxico targets multiple touchdowns against the Giants

New York Jets v Washington Redskins Getty Images

Somewhat lost in the New York talk-a-thon preceding Saturday’s game between the Giants and Jets is the fact that former Giants receiver Plaxico Burress will be getting a shot at his former team.

“I definitely want to get in the end zone once, maybe twice, maybe three or four,” Burress said Wednesday, via the Associated Press.  “I’m going to try and play lights-out football.  My goal is to go out and play the best game I’ve played to date this season.”

Unlike the Giants receivers, who have been stirring things up with Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, the Giants defensive backs are expressing respect for Burress.

“Plaxico has been very good for them in the red zone,” Giants safety Antrel Rolle said. “He’s a big threat.”

“I think Plax is one of the great receivers in this league,” Giants cornerback Corey Webster added.  “How he goes about playing is a rare commodity.”

Burress isn’t being quite as modest.

“They knew what type of player I am,” Burress said.  “There’s no doubt about it.  Those coaches that are over there, some of the players, they know me in games like this when your back’s against the wall, and all those kind of things.  So I think they know what kind of effort they’re going to get out of me on Saturday.”

Burress also has offered to help the coaching staff when it comes to figuring out the Giants’ offense, given that the current attack remains similar to the offense employed when Burress played there.  “Being able to play in this kind of game on Christmas Eve, you know somebody’s going to wake up with a bittersweet Christmas,” Burress said. “And it’s not going to be me.”

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
53 Responses to “Plaxico targets multiple touchdowns against the Giants”
  1. noodlecbs says: Dec 21, 2011 10:21 PM

I guess that is better than targeting his upper thigh…

2. cakemixa says: Dec 21, 2011 10:22 PM

If only these irrelevant New York teams who are struggling and PRAYING to make it as wild card teams would look at their records before opening their mouths.

3. maxvv says: Dec 21, 2011 10:22 PM

I would think he’d be happy with one TD and the win, if he can even get those.

While I’m sure they’ll be a bunch of Plaxico hate around here because OMG HE SHOT HIMSELF, he actually seems to be a really nice guy. I love that he hands each touchdown ball he catches in the north end zone at the Meadowlands to his kid in the front row.

4. softballnut says: Dec 21, 2011 10:22 PM

I don’t see any way the Jets win this game… they match up horribly.

5. pnut87 says: Dec 21, 2011 10:24 PM

And he probably will score a couple times the way the Giants defense is playing right now… And I could tell you what the offense would call.

6. nomoreseasontix says: Dec 21, 2011 10:28 PM

“Targets”??
    Too easy, I’ll pass…

7. bigpara says: Dec 21, 2011 10:29 PM

Man those Jets never shut up, do they?

8. trbowman says: Dec 21, 2011 10:36 PM

What happened to the days where guys just went on the field and got their business done?

Don’t say you’re gonna do something, just do it.

9. dbones750 says: Dec 21, 2011 10:40 PM

gee whiz, i hope plax doesn’t unload on the gmen.

10. scoops1 says: Dec 21, 2011 10:41 PM

i hope this game ends in a tie.

11. tfbuckfutter says: Dec 21, 2011 10:46 PM

“Plaxico targets”
    “Plaxico Burress will be getting a shot”

Ok….well….done.

12. coldlegend says: Dec 21, 2011 10:51 PM

A purposely segue infused title to create controversial comments.

13. nyfan63 says: Dec 21, 2011 10:51 PM

Still don’t really understand Burress’ bitterness towards the Giants. Hey, all players want to perform well against their former teams but he really seems to be holding some kind of grudge against the G-Men. This against a franchise that signed him when no one else was interested, and then showed him the love in the form of a big SECOND contract that he wanted. After signing that contract he fought with coaches, blew off meetings and shot himself in the leg…. oh yeah he then went to prison. Giants co-owner Steve Tisch maintained a strong relationship with Burress during his incarceration and upon his release the Giants were one of the first teams to line up a meeting to see about re-signing him. Where exactly in there did the Giants do something that would cause a player to fell bitter towards them? Burress seems to be doing well and I’m happy for him, but his rancor towards the Giants is misplaced.

14. barklikeadog says: Dec 21, 2011 10:54 PM

—————————————————-

Not one, not two, not three…. Yeah that’s worked out well for the last idiot to make that prediction…

15. jdandcoke says: Dec 21, 2011 10:54 PM

if a giants DB doesnt take him out this week, i’ll truely be stunned. then again, in this wussified version of the nfl where all of these guys from opposing teams seem to be “boys”, maybe the giants wil let him run all over them.

16. steelerchicken says: Dec 21, 2011 10:54 PM

1 catch last two games for 9 yards which happened to be a TD

17. jdandcoke says: Dec 21, 2011 10:56 PM

btw, PFT, that last line….”Even if the Jets lose, it’ll still be a lot better than his last two Christmases.”

AWESOME

18. goawayeverybody says: Dec 21, 2011 10:57 PM

Why wouldn’t scoring multiple touchdowns be his goal every week?

19. nyyjetsknicks says: Dec 21, 2011 10:59 PM

20. lostsok says: Dec 21, 2011 10:59 PM

Hey, someone on the Jets is firing up his blowhole.

Must be a day of the week ending in Y.

21. east96st says: Dec 21, 2011 11:11 PM

“Burress seems to be doing well and I’m happy for him, but his rancor towards the Giants is misplaced.”

You’re technically correct, but you’re forgetting this is Plax. The man has never taken any responsibility for his behavior on or off the field. If he didn’t “hate” the Giants, then he would have to acknowledge that everything that happened to him is his own fault. Maybe, if and when Plax is an old man, he’ll reflect back and have regrets, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. A LOT easier to just blame big, old, bad Coughlin and the Giants for making him put that bullet through his thigh.

22. bearsrulepackdrool says: Dec 21, 2011 11:14 PM

It’ll be interesting to hear the crowd reaction to him. To halves of the same city. One side will boo him the other will cheer. Or will both cheer?

23. caseyanthonymunoz says: Dec 21, 2011 11:18 PM

Does he realize Sanchez is his QB? He’ll be lucky to get two catches.

24. altoon88 says: Dec 21, 2011 11:19 PM

That 9yd TD also was a spectacular catch.

25. briscocountyjr says: Dec 21, 2011 11:23 PM

In how many seasons…4?

26. rugdaniels says: Dec 21, 2011 11:24 PM

I can still see Plax catching the fade in my mind so I’ll never really hate the guy.

Don’t understand what beef he has w/ the Giants. Because Eli didn’t visit him in prison? Whenever I imagine Eli pondering a prison visit I think of George Michael Bluth.

27. eaglesnoles05 says: Dec 21, 2011 11:25 PM

J! E! T! S! JETS JETS JETS!

28. eaglesnoles05 says: Dec 21, 2011 11:27 PM

@barklikeadog- not sure we can judge how well the “not one, not two, not three…” prediction has worked out after one season? But if we could, Plaxico would love to get to the superbowl like the heat did. #justsayin

29. memphisyinzer says: Dec 21, 2011 11:43 PM

And, if he doesn’t score any touchdowns, in true Plaxico form he’ll claim it’s because he is an African American and is being picked on. It’s never a Plaxico issue, always someone else bringing him down. What a douche.

30. yankeesjetsknicksrangers says: Dec 21, 2011 11:55 PM

“At the end of the day we got to cover Plax from scoring, ok, at the end of the day, its that way, at the end of the day. ”

———- Antrel Rolle

31. howley1 says: Dec 22, 2011 12:03 AM

“People from flyover states are mad that there teams get no press. Your zip code makes you a loser. You should be used to this.”

The Dallas Cowboys collectively chuckle at you for that statement. The Cowboys get more press than both NJ teams and the Toronto team combined.

32. valman61 says: Dec 22, 2011 12:05 AM

Bearsrulepackdrool:

That would be awesome but unfortunately it’s not the case. MetLife stadium is one of the most expensive in the league and all of the giants seats and most of the jets seats are PSL. That means that 90% of the crowd will be in seats owned by Jets season ticket holders. If Giants fans are there, it’ll be because they spent above face value to go. As a giants season ticket holder, I wish things were as you said, but I have way to much money tied into my tickets to spend more to go to this game. On a normal year I’d do it, but since Im getting married this year I have to watch the wallet. Nonetheless, let’s go blue!!!! It’ll be fun to watch even if it’s on my couch.

33. asublimeday says: Dec 22, 2011 4:31 AM

Don’t say you’re gonna do something, just do it.
    ——-

Yes, let us harken back to the days of Namath

34. bbk1000 says: Dec 22, 2011 6:12 AM

I just don’t understand this guy. All the Giants did was:

1. Give him his original contract when nobody else wanted him.

2. Give him an extension to that original contract for big bucks, when most thought it was crazy.

3. Give him a ring on his finger, granted, he was a large part of that but he certainly didn’t win it alone. Spagnuolo was as large a part as anybody.

Then this clown shoots himself, wrecks what was looking to be another Super Bowl season and now he acts like he’s the one who got the shaft? Unreal.

35. aharris230 says: Dec 22, 2011 6:18 AM

Good to see you’re still a douche Plax. It’s nice to know that jail didn’t change you.

36. youreallmorons says: Dec 22, 2011 7:32 AM

Plaxico Targets __________ (insert punchline here)

37. bigfranky75 says: Dec 22, 2011 7:39 AM

“Even if the Jets lose, it’ll still be a lot better than his last two Christmases.”

these are the kind of lines that keep me coming back to this site….. amazing.

38. Patriot42 says: Dec 22, 2011 7:42 AM

If I was an athlete and was in the NFL that played on the Jets team I would have 5 TD’s Sunday.

39. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 22, 2011 7:54 AM

It seems similar? We’ve never passed the ball this much in the 85+ years of the franchise. He knows nothing.

Let him talk.

40. wikidpissah says: Dec 22, 2011 8:19 AM

“I’m going to try and play lights-out football. My goal is to go out and play the best game I’ve played to date this season.”

Shouldn’t that be his goal every game?

41. choknugget says: Dec 22, 2011 8:27 AM

Hey Plax, you went to prison for 2 years, and your previous employer still talked to you about coming back once your sentence was done. Try doing that in the real world. This was your decision, now shut up.

42. jerseyshoregiant says: Dec 22, 2011 9:36 AM

He still doesn’t practice!

43. jimnsota says: Dec 22, 2011 10:00 AM

Is it possible Rex,Rob and Plaxico could be brothers/step brothers? Maybe just learn to shut up and let the usless commentary play out on the field. That way when you dont back things up as usual you wont be such douches. Its comical at this point everybody including your own teamates/owners/fans know your not going to back it up.

44. gs7101 says: Dec 22, 2011 10:27 AM

Plaxico should stop shooting off at the mouth, be quiet, and play football; boasting about how many touchdowns he would like to score is very selfish. His goal should be to play lights-out football each game. Plaxico’s prediction reminds me of LeBron James boasting how many NBA championships he will win in Miami!

45. radzyfsu23 says: Dec 22, 2011 11:29 AM

The jets always end up shooting themselves in the foot with these comments

46. svcfilmguy says: Dec 22, 2011 11:33 AM

As a Steelers fan, I can tell you this about Burress: he’d rather have 4 TDs in a loss than 0 in a win. These statements tell you everything you need to know about Burress. Always a me-first baffoon.

47. laeaglefan says: Dec 22, 2011 12:09 PM

Every Eagles fan is rooting for you this weekend, Plax.
    We hope you get your 4 TDs…even 5!

48. jolink653 says: Dec 22, 2011 12:13 PM

Well that’s good to hear…he’ll be getting a shot at someone else this time not at himself

49. cbs1971 says: Dec 22, 2011 12:29 PM

Jets for the win…..

50. tommybrady says: Dec 22, 2011 12:30 PM

What a guy. His team is in a fight for their playoff lives and all he wants is to make sure he shows up his old team. That’s why the pats and steelers and colts(not this year) are consistently pooping on teams year in and year out.
    Plax is a

51. tommybrady says: Dec 22, 2011 12:31 PM

Plax Is a dong

52. bigbluelou says: Dec 22, 2011 12:34 PM

Like we wouldn’t think the Jets are going to throw to Plexiglass all day. We know they want the Giants to see what they are missing. The problem is you have Sanchez throwing.

53. packermilitia says: Dec 22, 2011 3:41 PM

Just keep your guns secured and unloaded.