Ravens in better mood after Steelers loss

John Harbaugh AP

The Ravens gave away control of a possible bye in the AFC Sunday night, then the Steelers gave it right back Monday night.

Baltimore’s players didn’t bother to hide their glee at the second development, which we admire.  Ray Rice didn’t go to sleep Monday until Ben Roethlisberger threw his final interception.

“It changed the mood of the team today,” running back Ray Rice said via the Baltimore Sun. “Coming in here, guys are happy. I’m not saying we’re never a happy bunch.”

They weren’t happy after getting destroyed in San Diego. The loss to the Chargers made us wonder how fit the Ravens are to play on the road in the playoffs, especially against dynamic passing attacks.  Now the Ravens just have to beat the Browns and Bengals to get the No. 2 seed.

John Harbaugh also enjoyed watching his brother beat down Pittsburgh.

“[Harbaugh] was coming in and saying, ‘Hey, did you see that game last night? Who won? Who won?’ We were like, ‘OK, we all know who won the game. We know you’re way more excited now than you were two days ago,'” Joe Flacco said. “He didn’t know where to go with it once I told him I didn’t watch the game. He was a little confused but you could definitely tell that he was excited.”

Haloti Ngata said the team has “newfound energy.” Harbaugh said the Ravens “control a lot.”

They just better make sure not to lose control on the road once again in Week 17.

Permalink 73 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
73 Responses to “Ravens in better mood after Steelers loss”
  1. tubaplayingprof says: Dec 21, 2011 8:36 AM

Mark of a championship team: we sucked, so let’s be relieved that our rivals lost.

2. southpaw2k says: Dec 21, 2011 8:38 AM

Yeah, good attitude – let others pick up the dirt you left on the field. Instead of properly taking care of business yourselves, put your hopes of getting a home playoff game and possibly a bye week in other teams.

I still haven’t fully gotten over Sunday night’s loss, but I have to admit I’m less bitter about it since the Steelers lost too. That doesn’t change the fact that the Ravens got lucky, and can’t afford another misstep in their last two games of the regular season. Cleveland should be an easy win (emphasis *should*), but don’t sleep on Cincinnati, who could be fighting for their playoff lives in Week 17.

3. blizzard01 says: Dec 21, 2011 8:38 AM

Me too!

4. infectorman says: Dec 21, 2011 8:44 AM

what happened out there in sunny San Diego, anyway?
    Victims of the perennial late season Charger Charge?

5. mommydrank says: Dec 21, 2011 8:44 AM

Also, the Ravens were warmer in the summer than in the winter.

6. watermelon1 says: Dec 21, 2011 8:44 AM

It figures that Flacco doesn’t care who won the game. That’s exactly how he plays… like he doesn’t care.

As evidenced by his lack of progress made during his 4 years starting in the league, we know he wasn’t busy studying game film.

This guy was bad enough when he was silent and kept his “Joe Cool” mouth shut. But he’s spoken up a lot this year, and it just makes it even more sad that people still defend him to no end.

7. spellingcops says: Dec 21, 2011 8:45 AM

They also “controlled a lot” before they played that team in SD that they should’ve destroyed. I wouldn’t be too excited about needing two wins against division opponents. Even if one of em is from Cleveland.

8. rmm1984 says: Dec 21, 2011 8:59 AM

At this point I am reserved to the fact that Baltimore is winning the division. I just want the Steelers to quit being so stubborn and rest Ben until the playoffs. If they don’t let his ankle at least somewhat heal they’re not beating anyone in the playoffs. In my opinion a healthy Steelers team on the road is better than a banged up team at home.

9. therealcoltmccoy says: Dec 21, 2011 9:09 AM

As time passes the more and more I hate Harbaugh. He’s whiny, he complains too much, he celebrates minor accomplishments too much, and he is immature for an NFL coach. His attitude is also reflected in the team. I hate both teams but at least the Pitt organization acts like professionals and like they’ve been there before. Definitely rooting against the Ratbirds this year. Oh, and Flacco stinks.

10. runrickyrun34 says: Dec 21, 2011 9:10 AM

I’m a Ravens fan and missed the SNF game to go to a pay-per-view WWE event in Baltimore (bummed at first because I committed but it was probably the better choice in the end). I knew that come Monday morning people were going to be standing on the ledge and that Tuesday, if the Steelers lost, it would almost be like nothing happened. Listening to the sports talk yesterday afternoon and this morning, you would’ve thought not one football game was played this weekend. There’s one thing I’ve learned over the years about fellow Ravens fans A) They can’t seem to let go of the past and then raise their kids to feel the same way and B) They overreact. I’m 28, Colts left the year I was born and there are people in the mid to early 20’s that hate the Colts for leaving the city. Makes no sense. This is what some of the rational Ravens fans deal with on a daily basis.

11. runrickyrun34 says: Dec 21, 2011 9:14 AM

Not trying to be cynical, it’s just the truth. And I know this goes on in other cities too. That includes you Pittsburgh. You’re market was the 3rd largest viewership of Sunday Night Football this past Sunday so don’t act like you don’t care.

12. getyourownname says: Dec 21, 2011 9:19 AM

It’s nice that they are in a better mood. I’m in a better mood too, after my morning coffee and a Christmas cookie.

The question is, are they going to decide to play better.

13. shotgunformation5wide says: Dec 21, 2011 9:20 AM

Now the new Browns just have to beat the old Browns…… or is it the other way around?

14. ravensfreak00 says: Dec 21, 2011 9:25 AM

They should be. Christmas came early for them this year. Still, they should be extremely worried about how they played Sunday night, not celebrating that they got a second chance.

15. Kya_Tropic_Fan says: Dec 21, 2011 9:27 AM

_____________________________

You spelled Schwartz wrong…

16. clivus63 says: Dec 21, 2011 9:28 AM

The whole world knows…the Ravens and the Steelers are on a collision course.

17. richm2256 says: Dec 21, 2011 9:28 AM

Memo to the Ravens:

If you lose in the playoffs, you don’t get back in if someone else beats a rival.

I’d focus a bit more on the whole “lost to the Chargers” thing.

18. ravenator says: Dec 21, 2011 9:30 AM

Sweeeeeeppppp

Harbaughs – 3 Tomlin – 0

19. bmorelikeme says: Dec 21, 2011 9:31 AM

I hate that Joe didn’t watch the game. I spend alot of time defending the guy, but how can the QB not watch a game that directly affects his own teams seeding/home field advantage for the playoffs?

Even if it wasn’t the Steelers, I would expect him to watch anything that would affect his own team in such a substantial manner.

20. mvpolamalu says: Dec 21, 2011 9:33 AM

Wow ravens fans, id like to see your joke qb play a game 1 week after a high ankle sprain. He can only throw for 1 yard in the first half with a good ankle, i cant imagine if he had to play with an injured one!

21. southpaw2k says: Dec 21, 2011 9:35 AM

On the flip side, there have been other teams who have sorta backed their way into the playoffs and made runs. Last year’s Packers had to fight their way in as the 6 seed in the NFC, and the Cardinals were a very weak divisional winner in 2008, but they still got to the Super Bowl. It certainly ain’t pretty or how a team would like to make a championship run, but it wouldn’t be the first time either.

22. bigdaddybullwhip says: Dec 21, 2011 9:35 AM

Ravens shouldn’t worry about beating the Browns, but that Bengals game in Cincy on New Years Day will be interesting if the Bengals beat the Cards this week.

23. steelerfanjo says: Dec 21, 2011 9:36 AM

The Ravens should be disbanded. Ray Lewis, Jamal Lewis, Dontae Stallworth, Terrell Suggs… think of the lives just those 4 affected. Add in a crap owner, ugly uniforms, dirty city, and the biggest crybaby whiner in Harbaugh. Ravens & Ravens fans are digusting.

24. runrickyrun34 says: Dec 21, 2011 9:37 AM

Not trying to be cynical, it’s just the truth. Some fans are raised to just hate the Colts. I know this goes on in other cities too. That includes you Pittsburgh. You’re market was the 3rd largest viewership of Sunday Night Football this past Sunday so don’t act like you don’t care.

Sorry about the repeat post.

25. ravenshaterssuckdonkeydick says: Dec 21, 2011 9:38 AM

@therealcoltmccoy

Yeah, the Steelers act like they’ve been there before….like when Ryan Clark spoke up that the lights going out in San Fran was a conspiracy against their team.

26. Ricardo Grande says: Dec 21, 2011 9:38 AM

Old and slow. ‘Nuff said…

27. pitchblack816 says: Dec 21, 2011 9:40 AM

@ therealcoltmccoy

You are entitled to your opinion of Harbaugh but his records do stand for themselves. 4 years- 4 trips to the postseason, enough said. And with the Steelers “acting like professionals” if you mean conjuring conspiracy theories as to a power outage and telling the Commissioner that you won’t urinate on him of he was on fire, then you have a weird way of “acting like a professional.”

28. sudz28 says: Dec 21, 2011 9:41 AM

This doesn’t surprise me. As a Steelers fan living in the Baltimore area, I’m convinced that 99% of all Ravens fans are more obsessed with what the Steelers are doing (or not doing) than they are with their own team. I always find it amusing, like they have an inferiority complex and can only measure their own team against what a truly great organization is doing.

I’m disappointed we didn’t seize the opportunity to take the AFC North when we had it, but in reality the rankings are probably what they should be. Until we beat the Ravens (please GOD let #3 be the magic number!), I don’t believe we deserve a higher seed than them anyway. I think the one thing my Ravens fan friends and I agree on is that we all want a third matchup between these two teams, as those are always the best games of the NFL season!!!

29. trollhammer20 says: Dec 21, 2011 9:45 AM

Maybe John was so busy helping Jim get game-planned for the Steelers, he forgot Philip Rivers is 25-2 in December?

30. dickroy says: Dec 21, 2011 10:01 AM

Cleveland can be a trap game for the Steelers. I hope they don’t take the Rams or Browns as easy pick’ens.

31. southpaw2k says: Dec 21, 2011 10:05 AM

steelerfanjo says:
    Dec 21, 2011 9:36 AM

________________________________

Wow, and you call Harbaugh a “crybaby whiner”? Take a look in the mirror, man. Two of the guys you mentioned aren’t even on the team anymore, and the “Ray Lewis is a murderer” joke is so far past being remotely funny I can’t even get annoyed by it anymore.

And what makes Bisciotti a “crap owner” exactly? The day he had announced he had fired Billick, his words were that it was his job to find a “future hall of fame coach.” That’s the attitude any responsible owner should have. And Harbaugh’s done an excellent job in Baltimore.

I have plenty of close friends who are Steelers fans, and we talk plenty of fun trash to one another. I can get along with my team’s rival fans just fine, but elitist, obnoxious idiots like yourself give the decent fans a bad name.

32. 11inthebox says: Dec 21, 2011 10:09 AM

@ bmorelikeme who says:

I hate that Joe didn’t watch the game. I spend a lot of time defending the guy, but how can the QB not watch a game that directly affects his own teams seeding/home field advantage for the playoffs?

————————————————
    I’m pretty sure Flacco and his teammates will be watching film from the game as they prepare for the Steelers.

And maybe he didn’t watch the game because sometimes you need to get away from football, just for a few hours. It helps to keep your mind fresh. I know you probably don’t want to hear that though. These days, it’s all about players being more like “fans.”

33. stixzidinia says: Dec 21, 2011 10:12 AM

The Ravens’ whole world revolves around the Steelers. Seems to be an issue with those Baltimore/DC area teams. The Caps are constantly worried about what the Pens are doing as well.

Sorry Flacco, “all world” teams don’t lose to the teams you guys have lost to this year…..but hey it’s all good since you beat the Steelers right? See you in the playoffs, where your sweep will be rendered moot.

34. pigskinswag says: Dec 21, 2011 10:15 AM

Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. Even if they felt this way, actually verbalizing it makes them look foolish and weak.

35. steelersownyou says: Dec 21, 2011 10:18 AM

Be funny as h e double hockey sticks if ravens lose to bengals in last game of season…which quite frankly is absolutely possible! Enjoy it for now lady raven fans. This will not end well for you. We’ll be laughing last in january! We always are!

36. pastabelly says: Dec 21, 2011 10:22 AM

sudz28 says:
    Dec 21, 2011 9:41 AM
    =================================
    If that reality says that a team that loses to the Titans, Seahawks, Jaguars, and Chargers deserves the #1 or #2 seed, then I’m with you. To their credit, the Steelers have no really bad losses on their schedule.

I have no dog in the fight. I could argue that the Patriots don’t deserve a #1 seed either. Their defense is horrible and the schedule broke their way. But in a conference of flawed teams, someone has to be the #1 seed and the Patriots probably need it more than other teams.

37. flaccodelic says: Dec 21, 2011 10:22 AM

Yeah, the Steelers never pay any attention to the division standings or how the Ravens did.

Before this weekend I heard a whole lot of “the Steelers should sit Ben but ONLY if the Ravens lose.”

Seems like the Steelers made a pretty significant decision risking the health of their franchise QB based largely if not entirely on whether the Ravens won this weekend. How is that different?

38. sophiethegreatdane says: Dec 21, 2011 10:24 AM

tubaplayingprof says:
    Dec 21, 2011 8:36 AM

————————-

I love when Squealer fans get all high n mighty and try to educate the rest of the league on football’s finer points. So you’re telling me the Squealers were NOT excited to hear that the Ravens lost to the Chargers? I call BS on that.

And just so I’m clear, a “championship team” is one like the Squealers, right? You know, the team who has lost to its bitter rivals twice. Then when said bitter rival gives the Squealers an early Xmas present by losing to the Chargers, what do the championship Squealers do? Do they do what a championship team would do, and go on the road and show their bitter rivals how it’s done on the West Coast?

No, they don’t! They go out and lay an egg against the Niners! Then complain that they lost by 20 points because of the refs.

Got it. Glad I know what a champion looks like now.

39. freewayjim says: Dec 21, 2011 10:36 AM

This team (Ravens) talks an awful lot for not accomplishing very much.

The Ravens are becoming San Diego east, all this talent, and everyone picks them to do big things and what happens in the end?

We all know how it will end, either the Patriots or Steelers will win the AFC.

40. toegoat says: Dec 21, 2011 10:38 AM

@ southpaw2k:
    Well said I was thinking the same thing, hope we meet again in the playoffs!

41. pastabelly says: Dec 21, 2011 10:39 AM

mvpolamalu says:
    Dec 21, 2011 9:33 AM
    =================================
    Wait, how can you expect Flacco to focus on his passing game when he so fixated with the publicity that Tim Tebow is getting?

42. qj1984 says: Dec 21, 2011 10:46 AM

@mvpolamalu

I knew it wouldn’t be long before the excuses came out. Flacco played the entire second half of 2009 with a contusion that stretched all the way down his right leg. Unlike, Big Jen he manned up, didn’t make any excuses, and he certainly wasn’t a drama queen about it. The masses didn’t even know he was hurt until the playoffs when they saw him limping around pregame vs. New England.

43. dawhorsefeathers says: Dec 21, 2011 11:00 AM

steelerfanjo’s daily dose of hate and/or whining about the officiating is something you can set your watch to.

44. southpaw2k says: Dec 21, 2011 11:03 AM

toegoat says:
    Dec 21, 2011 10:38 AM
    @ southpaw2k:
    Well said I was thinking the same thing, hope we meet again in the playoffs!

————————————————-

Thanks, buddy. See you in the AFC Championship Game. Can’t think of any other more satisfying matchup.

45. bravin4evr says: Dec 21, 2011 11:22 AM

As a Ravens fan, I stated all week that catching SD at this time wasn’t good. They have been hot and we never know which Ravens team will get off of the plane. We got lucky and the Steelers had a bad game. We haven’t won anything yet and we won’t if this team doesn’t play more consistently…better!

46. dannymac17 says: Dec 21, 2011 11:24 AM

Can’t stress enough how badly they did get destroyed in San Diego.

47. Nevis says: Dec 21, 2011 11:29 AM

Like any of this matters. Steelers will go deeper than Baltimore, regardless of who wins the North.

Ravens just aren’t consistent enough to be trusted, especially when it’s all on the line.

48. patsfiend says: Dec 21, 2011 11:34 AM

Come back to New England, boys. Things will be different this time.

49. humbleminded85 says: Dec 21, 2011 11:39 AM

southpaw2k says:
    Dec 21, 2011 11:03 AM
    toegoat says:
    Dec 21, 2011 10:38 AM
    @ southpaw2k:
    Well said I was thinking the same thing, hope we meet again in the playoffs!

————————————————-

_________________________________
    And that, SteelerfanJo, is what you call being an adult. You should try it sometime.

50. imopen7 says: Dec 21, 2011 11:42 AM

The Steelers would rather twist the “playoff knife” in baltimoron’s gut in their own house so hurts more. We’ll come down there and see you…no problem. “empty bank” stadium…is that where you guys would “play” at home in January? Maybe that was the Colts….not sure.

51. rayriceisnice says: Dec 21, 2011 11:42 AM

Steelerfanjo if I had the chance I’d break your face. But I won’t so I’ll let Suggs to it to your rapist qb. Btw Baltimore is cleaner then Pittsburgh so don’t talk crap. I ve been to Pitt it’s the worse most boring city with the dumbest people I’ve ever met. And you don’t do football like Baltimore. We tailgate at 8 a.m. You guys are jokes. Eat a jock son. You can’t swing with this little man

52. wldkat says: Dec 21, 2011 11:48 AM

What do these recent superbowl games have in common ?
    Green Bay beats Pittsburgh
    NY Giants beats New England
    Pittsburgh beats Seattle

All of the above won 3 road playoff games and went on to win the superbowl. Home Field is nice to have, but can be overrated ! Championship teams know when the real season starts ! See you in Indy Big Ben !!!

53. mikeypanic says: Dec 21, 2011 12:16 PM

never seen a team with a worse little brother complex than the ravens.

truly pathetic.

54. tellmeaboutitbaby says: Dec 21, 2011 12:33 PM

@rayriceisnice

Proud that you got one item correct in all that BS internet tough man – and that is the “little man” reference to yourself at the end…..

Talk about giving Ravens fans a bad name…..

55. dawhorsefeathers says: Dec 21, 2011 12:45 PM

imopen7 says:
    Dec 21, 2011 11:42 AM
    “empty bank” stadium…is that where you guys would “play” at home in January?
    ———————–
    You seem to be confusing us with Cincinnati, or just confused in general.

56. vincentbojackson says: Dec 21, 2011 12:54 PM

As usual, the Ravens are more concerned with what their big brother Steelers are doing than staying focused on their next opponent.

57. johntonioholmes says: Dec 21, 2011 12:57 PM

Man, as a Steelers fan, I would love (obviously) if they met the 9ers in the super bowl.

I don’t see Pittsburgh making it this year, and I’ll be surprised if the 49ers aren’t one and done.

Oh and rayriceisnice…you sound bright. Suggs has a lot of Sacks against Roethlisberger. But I’m sure his 2 wins in the last 6 years is keeping him comfort.

I’ve lived in Cleveland, Baltimore, Youngstown and Pittsburgh. The only place scarier than Youngstown was Baltimore. And the reason why it’s scarier is because everyone is an effing criminal. That’s way Ray Lewis is so loved in that city. He gets caught with two people on the end of his knife and gets away with it. He’s a folk hero.

58. ravensownsteelers says: Dec 21, 2011 12:57 PM

@sudz28

sudz28 says:
    Dec 21, 2011 9:41 AM

———————-

59. mattmillen4president says: Dec 21, 2011 1:02 PM

It’ll be a nice change of pace to end their season in Baltimore for a change.

60. everyfootballfan says: Dec 21, 2011 1:05 PM

It’s funny how you only hear about the Ravens bad loses but what about the quality of good wins, if nothing else the Ravens have shown they can beat the best of teams as well as losing to the worst, so fear not Raven fans only time will tell how far we go.

61. johntonioholmes says: Dec 21, 2011 1:05 PM

southpaw2k

I wanted to commend you on your comment. I obviously have a lot of Cleveland and Baltimore fans as friends. I actually don’t trash talk that much unless they instigate (which they normally don’t). I like football more than I like the Steelers.

For instance, I’m mad if the Ravens get hosed on a bad call that costs them the game because I want a fair game.

Needless to say, the NFL is ruining itself for me by being inconsistent with flags, fines, and suspensions. But that’s a different discussion.

I just wanted to say that you’re right; elitist fans and excessively angry fans ruin half of the fun of being a football fan.

62. hawks49 says: Dec 21, 2011 1:21 PM

You’re welcome.

Merry Christmas!

– Justin, Aldon & Alex Smith

63. heyzeus143 says: Dec 21, 2011 2:05 PM

hope they do

64. bmoreballbuster says: Dec 21, 2011 2:06 PM

IMO, Stealers are the most ACCOMMODATING team in the AFC North.

65. raqaiw says: Dec 21, 2011 2:13 PM

Nevis says: Dec 21, 2011 11:29 AM

_____________________________________
    Just like the Steelers in the SB last year, when it’s all on the line right? Funny how you take an L when the refs aren’t in your pocket. Will we have more refs apologizing for the win over the Cardinals in 2 years?

66. southpaw2k says: Dec 21, 2011 2:16 PM

johntonioholmes says:
    Dec 21, 2011 1:05 PM
    southpaw2k

———————————————–

Mucho gracias, my friend. I can’t lie that my Steelers friends and I do at least occasionally get into some heated debates (one recent debate was about how much Harbaugh whines during games; I contend that’s his job as head coach and any coach in the NFL worth his salt would do that), but we do have more fun than anything else.

I guess we just have to accept that the anonymity of the internet allows elitist idiots to annoy the rest of us. But it’s nice to know that there are still some rival fans out there in cyberspace I can enjoy friendly discussions about our teams.

67. number20pick6 says: Dec 21, 2011 2:34 PM

@steelerfanjo

That’s funny cuz I feel the same exact way about Pittsburg

@steelersownyou

Good to see you posting again! We missed you Monday night

68. steelcurtainn says: Dec 21, 2011 2:40 PM

Be in a good mood now because come January you’ll have all year to be in a bad mood.

69. golonger says: Dec 21, 2011 3:44 PM

steelcurtainn – typical comment from the loser squealer crowd………at least we will HAVE a mood in january….squealers are DONE idiot!

70. dawhorsefeathers says: Dec 21, 2011 3:49 PM

@steelcurtainn
    You all said the same thing about 11/6 on 9/12.

71. ravenator says: Dec 21, 2011 5:43 PM

@steelersownyou

I’d have to say a sphincter says what…

72. sudz28 says: Dec 22, 2011 7:26 AM

@ravensownsteelers
    “By being on our toes watching the Steelers on MNF after a big SNF loss, that is being MORE concerned with what the Steelers are doing? Get over yourself. With our awful loss, that game had huge playoff implications – of course we will be watching and biting our nails.

It sounds like you’re just a little bitter that a Harbaugh got your number…..again.”

No, since I live in the heart of Raven territory I know full well that *every* week is like this for most Ravens fans, and most of my buddies (who are Ravens fans) have told me repeatedly that they actually care more about the Steelers losing than they do about the Ravens winning on any given Sunday. I fully get with the race to the playoffs so close and the contest so tight each team is closely watching the other and hoping for an edge, but I just wanted to point out that the mood of your typical Raven fan seems more influenced under any circumstances more so by what the Steelers are doing than their own team. Like a middle school girl too fat to make the cheerleader squad, so she just sulks in the stands and waits for them to blow a routine. But hey – whatever floats your boat!

73. ravenator says: Dec 22, 2011 6:04 PM

@sudz28

What a turd comment. I can promise you Raven fans only care about the Steelers losing, AFTER the Ravens win that given week.

You must know some serious haters if they care more about a rival losing, than their own team winning.