Roethlisberger’s status remains unknown

Pittsburgh Steelers v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

Only one thing currently is known regarding the status of Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for Saturday’s game against the Rams:  Roethlisberger didn’t practice on Wednesday, 13 days after spraining his ankle.

Beyond that, it’s unclear whether he’ll play.

On Wednesday, NFL Network reported that team officials would be “shocked” if Roethlisberger plays.  But Roethlisberger remains optimistic.

“I didn’t think I’d be able to walk,” Roethlisberger said Wednesday, per the Associated Press.  “It actually feels a lot better than I thought it would. . . .  I’ve said many times I want to go and I’ll try and be . . . ready to go.”

At some point, though, the decision needs to be taken out of his hands.  Coach Mike Tomlin has said he never considered removing Roethlisberger from Monday night’s 17-point loss to the 49ers.  So is Tomlin now considering not starting Roethlisberger in a potentially meaningless game that will be played as few as 14 days before the Steelers have to go on the road for the wild-card round?

Sure, football is about toughness and grit and playing through pain and all that crap.  But while most brain function goes out the window when it’s time to start banging bodies, the time for wisdom comes between games.  And it’s time for someone in Pittsburgh to make a good decision that has nothing to do with helping Roethlisberger win admirers (or win over critics) and everything to do with positioning the team to be as successful as possible when the playoffs begin.

“I’m not saying I talked [Tomlin] out of taking me out,” Roethlisberger said regarding Monday night’s game, “but I wasn’t going to quit.  He kind of asked me, ‘You want to come out?’ I said nope.”

For Saturday, Tomlin should assume that Roethlisberger wants to play, and the head coach should make the decision without regard to what Roethlisberger wants.

Permalink 56 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
56 Responses to “Roethlisberger’s status remains unknown”
  1. drgfri says: Dec 22, 2011 9:40 AM

His status remains “should be in jail.” The guy is a pig.

2. silvernblackpa says: Dec 22, 2011 9:47 AM

Oh my god, he’s at large. Ladies of PFT Planet: please check your bathrooms stalls. Spread the word to your friends, I…

Wait…his status for the game? Ah. Carry on.

3. anpsteel says: Dec 22, 2011 9:48 AM

drgfri-

your status remains: should actually know what you are talking about.
    :facepalm:

4. snarkzilla says: Dec 22, 2011 9:49 AM

Yeah, whatever happened to the Nevada lawsuit?

5. sikkcaden says: Dec 22, 2011 9:50 AM

“I didn’t think I’d be able to walk”….about a mild ankle sprain. But yeah, he’s not dramatic.

This is becoming a circus at this point. I can’t imagine a class act the Rooney’s can like Ben on a personal level.

6. rr2000k says: Dec 22, 2011 9:54 AM

Drama queen

7. footballfan says: Dec 22, 2011 9:55 AM

drgfri says: Dec 22, 2011 9:40 AM

His status remains “should be in jail.” The guy is a pig.

*******

I’m no Steelers fan, but I think it is time for you to get over this stuff and come up with something new. Everybody already heard it a MILLION TIMES and you talking crap isn’t going top change a thing. I’m sure the team you back is full of little angels…

8. bspn2 says: Dec 22, 2011 9:56 AM

The Ravens still suck.

9. sasattack says: Dec 22, 2011 9:58 AM

Exactly “potentially” meaningless game. Ravens could lose at Bengals in week 17 so Pit still has shot for division contrary to what all the “experts” say. If he can protect himself he should/will play.

10. Stiller43 says: Dec 22, 2011 9:59 AM

Potentially meaningless? Which means potentially meaningful as well.

You cant just assume flacco will play any kind of decent ball against either the browns or bengals.

11. Raider-in-PA says: Dec 22, 2011 10:01 AM

What do you mean? His status is ALWAYS known, he’s a douche 100% of the time… There, solved it for ya….

12. 2difshoe says: Dec 22, 2011 10:01 AM

It has yet to be disclosed that Bathroom Ben injured his vagin* too and the team is not certain if he will heal in time for the next game.

Ben’s gynecologist says this is a day to day injury which will be monitored closely and when the bleeding stops he will be medically cleared to return to play.

13. daryllh says: Dec 22, 2011 10:04 AM

I’d sit the secondary and Timmons. They were the ones that were making me watch in pain.

14. test2402 says: Dec 22, 2011 10:06 AM

Tim Tebow’s remains known, dominant.

15. orangeflh says: Dec 22, 2011 10:06 AM

How many of you that gave drgfri a thumbs down would want your daughter or your sister alone with Roethlisberger?

And please… feel free to give me the thumbs down too.

16. illiniftw says: Dec 22, 2011 10:08 AM

Did you know Roethlisberger was playing through multiple injuries this year? He’s just so tough! Everyone should focus on that and not the fact he was/is a horrible person!

I get so tired of hearing about “Ben’s toughness” every time I try to look at something football related.

17. DubZ480 says: Dec 22, 2011 10:12 AM

Smart money is on Big Ben starting…

18. righteousaviator says: Dec 22, 2011 10:13 AM

That last comment deserves an AMEN.

19. pitchblack816 says: Dec 22, 2011 10:13 AM

No means no!

20. samhurdsscale says: Dec 22, 2011 10:14 AM

Way to not quit Ben. Those three points you put up sure did look good in the lose column

21. pskotte says: Dec 22, 2011 10:15 AM

Play him. Maybe he can learn some humility by causing another loss.

22. samhurdsscale says: Dec 22, 2011 10:15 AM

Thanks for not quitting Ben. Those three points u put up sure did look good in the lose column

23. eastcoastv says: Dec 22, 2011 10:15 AM

I hope he plays. It was very entertaining watching him on Monday night!

24. steelnucs says: Dec 22, 2011 10:18 AM

“Sure, football is about toughness and grit and playing through pain and all that crap.”

Spoken like someone who never played football at any level.

Yet again, this game is not meaningless. There is still a decent chance that they get the 3 seed and a home game if they win out – granted, they need some help from Cincy.

That being said, they should be smart and rest him at least a week, if for no other reason that he doesn’t get hurt worse, and they are really screwed.

25. joetoronto says: Dec 22, 2011 10:21 AM

“I’m not saying I talked [Tomlin] out of taking me out,” Roethlisberger said regarding Monday night’s game, “but I wasn’t going to quit. He kind of asked me, ‘You want to come out?’ I said nope.”

Something tells me Bill Cowher wouldn’t have asked him and instead would have yanked him.

26. whodey44647 says: Dec 22, 2011 10:32 AM

keep letting him play , Carson Palmer got his leg hurt back in 05 ,ever sence then he became a turn over machine

27. ravensruleandharbaughisgod says: Dec 22, 2011 10:37 AM

It does go to show how much confidence the Steelers brain trust apparently has in Batch and/or Dixon….like none whatsover!

28. wldkat says: Dec 22, 2011 10:40 AM

All you Ben H8’rs would take him on your team in a New York minute ! That’s all um saying !

29. benandjerrysberryhorny says: Dec 22, 2011 10:43 AM

I thought he settled for an undisclosed amount.

30. mvpolamalu says: Dec 22, 2011 10:47 AM

Please sit him, we can beat the rams/browns with Dixon/batch, and the division is close to out of reach.

31. Confucius says: Dec 22, 2011 11:08 AM

The hate you spew towards men will strike back at you ten fold. Wise men will not pretend to know what trasngressions have transpired without witness. If this man has found his way then all will be forgiven.

32. citizenstrange says: Dec 22, 2011 11:14 AM

Tomlin would sit Roethlisberger against the Rams but how will the Steelers ever get three points without him?

33. iluvwikileaks says: Dec 22, 2011 11:15 AM

Ray Lewis is a murderer.

34. 2difshoe says: Dec 22, 2011 11:17 AM

I’d rather have Edith Bunker than Bathroom Ben !

Edith knows that ‘ stifle yourself ‘ means stifle.

Maybe Ben should consider a ‘ maxi pads ‘ instead.
    It would probably eliminate some of his girly injuries that we have to hear about all the time .

Oh and….MERRY CHRISTMAS my PFT Brethren !

I know I am going to take a beating for this.

35. caseyanthonymunoz says: Dec 22, 2011 11:18 AM

Why do people care so much about a Fifth Seed?

36. jpoppl says: Dec 22, 2011 11:20 AM

Baltimore has 2 Division games left. Nothing is a given in a Division game. That being said Ben has to sit. I want him healthy if they get to the Ravens again. I want to hear the silent sound of defeat coming from Baltimore. If not no big deal Steelers will get them next year. Like ‘footballfan’ says get over it all stop crying about the past. It is getting old. Try and post some good points for once.

37. brownsince64 says: Dec 22, 2011 11:26 AM

i don’t get the meaningless game stuff.
    I give the Bengals a 50% shot at least of beating the Ravens at home. What over the course of the season makes anyone bleieve the Ravens are such a prohibitve favorite to win the last two games? Same with the Texans. people are going to catch on to Yates. The Steelers could easily still get a #2 or even #1 seed. that’s the NFL, strange things are commonplace.
    The real question is who gives you the best chance of winning: a one legged big ben or batch/dixon with two wheels.

38. nflofficeadmin says: Dec 22, 2011 11:32 AM

I think it obvious we have been giving the Rooney’s a little too much credit when they like to keep aroud the likes of bathroom ben and Jimmy “Can’t get right” Harrison.

39. nflofficeadmin says: Dec 22, 2011 11:36 AM

footballfan says:
    Dec 22, 2011 9:55 AM
    drgfri says: Dec 22, 2011 9:40 AM

His status remains “should be in jail.” The guy is a pig.

*******

_____________

@footballfan Let’s make a deal – if he rapes your mother or your daughter, we’ll just let it go. Fair? I kind figured his victims feel the same way.

40. daryllh says: Dec 22, 2011 11:43 AM

I’ll be looking to Steve Young for any exclusive updates on the status of Ben’s injury.

41. Kaz says: Dec 22, 2011 11:46 AM

Big Ben will milk this injury all offseason sigh….

42. agent6burgh says: Dec 22, 2011 11:55 AM

Let’s remember Pittsburgh still has a top ranked defense in the event of a one-legged Ben or 37 year old Batch or no experience Dixon, vs the Rams and the Browns, including having Harrison and Woodley together again. Our defense should give us the advantage in both upcoming games.

43. psuambassador says: Dec 22, 2011 12:13 PM

“So is Tomlin now considering not starting Roethlisberger in a potentially meaningless game that will be played as few as 14 days before the Steelers have to go on the road for the wild-card round?”

Since when has it been established that the Steelers will be playing in the wild card round??? This is news to me. They must have done away with the last two weeks of the season or something without me knowing about it.

44. realtimeeyes says: Dec 22, 2011 12:19 PM

@orangerlf

I wouldn’t leave my kid with half of the players in the NFL. I wouldn’t leave them with you either. Whats your point. You should work for ESPN; they never let stories die either.

45. orangeflh says: Dec 22, 2011 12:45 PM

wldkat says:
    Dec 22, 2011 10:40 AM

All you Ben H8′rs would take him on your team in a New York minute ! That’s all um saying !

“““““““““““““““““““““`

Nope. I’m pretty happy with that Rodgers guy that plays for my team. Perhaps you’ve heard of him.

Thanks for playing though. We have some lovely parting gifts at the door for you.

46. crusty14 says: Dec 22, 2011 1:02 PM

@nflofficeadmin….. You tell me, when exactly did Ben ever get charged with rape? As far as I’ve ever heard or read, unfounded complaints were brought against him, of which there was no evidence to charge him, let alone convict.

So yes, I would allow my sister or daughter be with him, as I trust both to make mature decisions.

47. tombradyswig says: Dec 22, 2011 1:40 PM

That’s what she said!!

48. melikefootball says: Dec 22, 2011 2:12 PM

It is amazing how many Steeler haters come out of the woodwork when a article about them is written. Most of us that have pitiful teams to root for would be thankful to have a QB as Ben as well as a team that is dangerous to play each year as the Steelers. I was shocked to see Ben, Monday even dress let alone play. He is a tough guy and deserves more credit than he does.

49. jpoppl says: Dec 22, 2011 2:24 PM

ON NO!!!! Boldin out. Can you hear the footsteps behind you.

50. carnboys says: Dec 22, 2011 4:05 PM

Please Ben play and hurt your team like you did monday night. Who running the team ben or the coaches.

sign
    raven fan

51. carnboys says: Dec 22, 2011 4:07 PM

If ben plays blitz allday. Make that big bastard run out of the pocket.

52. eastcoastv says: Dec 22, 2011 4:23 PM

melikefootball says:
    Dec 22, 2011 2:12 PM

Ben – is that you?????

53. siggy00 says: Dec 22, 2011 4:45 PM

“Something tells me Bill Cowher wouldn’t have asked him and instead would have yanked him”

You mean like when he didn’t yank him in Indianapolis when they were losing 26-7 in 2005 or when Cowher didn’t yank him in Baltimore in 2006 when they were down 27-0?

Do your homework boys. Cowher treated him just like Tomlin did.

54. burghman says: Dec 22, 2011 4:49 PM

@carnboys…. typical illiterate Ravens fan. It’s not even 5pm; isn’t it a little early to be drunk?

55. siggy00 says: Dec 22, 2011 5:51 PM

1997 opener: Kordell Stewart plays despite MCL sprain in pre-season the week before, the Steelers fall behind 37-0. Cowher NEVER yanked him.

56. nickster31 says: Dec 22, 2011 6:19 PM

For YEARS Steelers fans have heard that Ben is a drama queen, that he fakes injures and to make it look like he was tough.

NOW, people are talking about how he needs to be less tough.

Cracks me up! Haters will always be haters.