Cam Newton is indestructible

Tampa Bay Buccaneers v Carolina Panthers Getty Images

Much has been written about Cam Newton’s record-breaking rookie season, but probably not enough.

Newton is arguably having the best rookie season of any quarterback ever. We’d argue he’s already a top-ten NFL quarterback.

His assimilation to the pro game has been somewhat overlooked because he plays on a team with one of the worst defenses in football. But Newton’s presence has almost singlehandedly transformed the single worst offense in the league to a top-five unit.

Newton is far more developed as a pocket passer than anyone expected. His running ability opens up lanes for his teammates DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart because of Carolina’s creative approach to the run game.

Perhaps the most overlooked quality in Newton’s arsenal: His ability to take a hit. It’s not overlooked by Panthers owner Jerry Richardson.

“As far as I’m concerned, he’ll be the last quarterback we ever draft high in my lifetime,” Richardson told SI.com’s Peter King for MMQB. “He is a very unusual young man, and I say that in a highly complimentary way. He does not complain. Ever. He’s never in the trainers room. You watch him get hit out there and you think, ‘He got to be hurting,’ and then you see he’s never with the trainers.”

Newton may want to take fewer hits as he matures. For now, he’s a huge part of Carolina’s three-pronged rushing attack.

Carolina has three players with over 670 yards rushing. Newton is the goal-line back with 14 rushing scores.

That rushing ability combined with his 3,893 passing yards and improved decision making makes Newton one of the most singular talents we’ve seen enter the league in a long time.

Permalink 80 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
80 Responses to “Cam Newton is indestructible”
  1. duanethomas says: Dec 26, 2011 10:43 AM

He is not Tim Tebow. Tebow takes just has many hits and has a better record. ESPN loves Tebow and that right there shows you who is the better QB. 3rd in the fans vote for the Pro Bowl was Tebow. His is the man. Tebow not Newton.

2. xojazz says: Dec 26, 2011 10:43 AM

Probably not enough written about his great rookie season?
    Hardly.
    He’s been gushed over all season, his losing record and turnovers glossed over.
    Indestructable?!
    Come on, now. Don’t set him up for failure.
    Look, no one has received as much positive press this year as this guy, deservingly so.
    Let’s just not go overboard as many now appear to be doing.
    Allow him to win some games, get in the playoffs, continue to grow.
    Without calling him a God and indestructable.
    Chill.

3. mr92687 says: Dec 26, 2011 10:49 AM

he aiight…

4. kc4life7 says: Dec 26, 2011 10:51 AM

I had my doubts about this guy when he entered the league. Now I TIVO every Carolina game just to see this guy play. Going to be an exciting player for years to come.

5. burghman says: Dec 26, 2011 10:56 AM

Joe Flacco thinks Cam Newton gets too much attention.

6. clamnewton says: Dec 26, 2011 10:57 AM

Thank God the Panthers drafted this dude. Personally, I was not sold on Cam and actually wanted P. Peterson to help the non-existent return game (with all his return TDs, not a bad option). I’m SO glad I was wrong and the Panthers’ brass pulled the trigger on drafting Cam. Was at the game Saturday and when he ran ran that 49-yard TD, I couldn’t believe I was watching a QB do that. And while he can run, he looks to throw first. Stay healthy and look out!

7. qdog112 says: Dec 26, 2011 10:58 AM

Imitation is the best form of flattery. Folks, if the great Vince Lombardi came back, he would surely utter his catch-phrase, “what the h.e.l.l is going on out there?” The NFL has changed and we’re leading the movement. Expect more and more teams to try and copy what we’ve done on offense. The NFL will never be the same. The search begins for the next QB who can throw for 4,000 and run for 500. Pro football just became more exciting than ever before, thanks to Cameron Newton and a guy called Chud.

8. realitypolice says: Dec 26, 2011 10:59 AM

=========================

And people wonder why players hide injury symptoms?

Management’s favorite players are always the ones who are “never with the trainers”.

9. bird2jasun says: Dec 26, 2011 11:03 AM

@daunethomas you dumb a$$…. cam is third in probowl voting too! Plus he has 34to total td’s right now how is tebow better?

10. bbb82 says: Dec 26, 2011 11:12 AM

Color me impressed. I didn’t think much of him coming into the draft. But I’ve watched a couple Carolina games this year, and he is the real deal. Congrats Cam, and keep it up.

11. KIR says: Dec 26, 2011 11:14 AM

This guy broke a rookie passing record that Peyton Manning set 20 years ago. Some of you all think Luck is going to come in and do just as well or better next year. And, Luck is going to lead his new team to the playoffs. The NFL just doesn’t work like that. Luck couldn’t even lead Stanford to a national championship. Is there anyone who believes Stanford would be the #1 team playing for the national championship if Newton was their QB? I do

12. nfloracle says: Dec 26, 2011 11:17 AM

Numbers aside, he’s still a loser when compared to Andy Dalton this year. And it’s not smart to avoid the training room. That sounds like more of his Superman BS: Thinking he’s too tough to take advantage of the tools available in the training room to keep his body healing properly and in tip top shape is just plain dumb. And there’s no way he’s not hurting after taking some of the hits he takes.

I’m still not a believer and won’t be until Cam’s attitude becomes more team focused and less “Me cultural icon” focused.

13. dlmcc1010 says: Dec 26, 2011 11:21 AM

The guy is as talented as anyone ive ever seen. I hope he matures as a passer and cuts down on the INT’s. He wouldnt be able to survive out there for the next decade if he keeps taking huge hits. Just not possible. Hes a joy to watch and he definitely is already a top 10 QB. The guy comparing Tim Tebow to him is delusional. This guy is ten times the QB Tebow is.

14. beastson says: Dec 26, 2011 11:21 AM

Best rookie QB ever. As far as the best rookie ever, probably go with Randy Moss’ monster season. And I love Cam. Panthers fan here and very excited about the next 10 years of watching my team

ROTY!!!

15. otistaylor89 says: Dec 26, 2011 11:24 AM

If they didn’t lose the two Pro Bowl type LBs before the start of the season I think the Panthers would be in the playoffs and not ATL.

Cam has made a lot of mistakes this year, but many can be because the defense let up so many points.

I wouldn’t want to play them next year.

16. eyeamlegend says: Dec 26, 2011 11:28 AM

Cam doesn’t get enough pub on other sites or network stations. Neither do the Panthers when they win. NFL Primetime gave them the shortest segment with the 99 yd pass and the TD run. NFL Gameday Final made them the last segment and did the same two scenes. And Sunday Night in America only showed the Panthers during the recap. I don’t know the rules on tv presentation but I can’t think of another team that scores over 40 points and only gets two highlights. I mean at least a post game interview clip right?

17. bkostela says: Dec 26, 2011 11:31 AM

people go nuts over tebow and vick. cam has outperformed them on every level this season. more touches, more yards, more points. below are some stats to prove.

Rushing (Att-Yds-TD)
    Newton – 120-674-14 (5 fumbles)
    Vick – 75-586-1 (9 fumbles)
    Tebow – 116-644-6 (11 fumbles)

Passing
    Newton – 60.0% 3,893 YDS 20 TD 16 INT
    Vick – 59.6% 2,968 YDS 15 TD 13 INT
    Tebow – 48.0% 1,669 YDS 12 TD 6 INT

PPG
    Panthers – 25.9 (5th)
    Eagles – 24.1 (9th)
    Broncos – 20.4 (22nd)

18. thecarman1218 says: Dec 26, 2011 11:31 AM

Cam took over a losing team with a horible defense and kept them in every game,lest we forget he only has 1 weapon (Steve Smith). In that system, Tebow is not an accurate enough passer to succeed.Cam has broken Peyton’s passing record and is a much better runner which makes him a dual threat. As a falcon fan I dread seeing him twice a year.

19. Matt Volk says: Dec 26, 2011 11:33 AM

fast forward 10 years… greatest qb of all time. Get at me haters

20. johnnyjagfan says: Dec 26, 2011 11:34 AM

PFT Planet was overwhelmingly against this kid coming out of school & now it seems y’all can’t get enough. Where are all the laptop comments, now? All the character questions? C’mon folks. Get honest.

This guy is a player, he’s upbeat, loves the game and his teammates, wherever he’s played, have all echoed this. 14 rushing TDs? He’s a unique weapon.

21. unosonnn says: Dec 26, 2011 11:40 AM

When Cam was drafted, I thought he was the pick that the Panthers had to make, looking at how much Jimmy Clausen had set back the franchise. After his first week, not only did I think that he was the best player in the draft this year, I was thinking he had the opportunity to be the best player drafted in the past decade.

Although Newton doesn’t have the record of Tebow (or a full offseason worth of work to prepare for the NFL), his play has been far superior. He doesn’t have the defensive consistency on defense until this past week against TB. He doesn’t have the same decision making as Peyton Manning, but he threw for more yards as a rookie and threw for less interceptions.

It is a shame that so many people are hating against Newton. He has kept the Panthers in almost every game, and he has played fantastic with a very short offseason. Once Newton has a year under his belt, and the Panthers get healthy on defense (and some DT’s and DB’s), the Panthers will be challenging for a Superbowl title, maybe as soon as next year.

22. trojan33sc says: Dec 26, 2011 11:41 AM

Can’t wait until Cam gets more offensive weapons at wide out. Panther’s will be in beast mode at that point !

23. thebigkahuna23 says: Dec 26, 2011 11:44 AM

Even if you hate him, you have to admit the kid can play. Hopefully for carolina’s sake he can stay healthy and they can build around him quickly. This is a guy who will have no problems moving on if y’all aren’t winning and who can blame him?

24. coderacer says: Dec 26, 2011 11:47 AM

Cam took a number of big shots on Saturday, yet he kept getting back up. This has been a theme throughout the season, Vilma laid wood on him a few weeks back, but Cam got up just smiling.

Dude is tough, and fun to watch. Bright future for the Panthers indeed.

25. wbmcadoo says: Dec 26, 2011 11:48 AM

Tebow sucks compared to newton.

26. profootballwalk says: Dec 26, 2011 11:52 AM

Guy is a beast. The vast majority of talking heads were down on him, and he proved them wrong. And Tebow isn’t in Newton’s league. Tebow is like the boy in Pop Warner who gets to be QB because he’s six inches taller than everyone else. Newton is a quarterback – for real. Newton is the QB Tebow fans think Tebow is.

27. nightwalker43 says: Dec 26, 2011 11:57 AM

He shows promise, but next year there will be high expectations to WIN. We’ll see how he handles that. It is much different playing knowing that whether you win or lose as long as you put up stats your fine as opposed to fans expecting a win every time you take the field. How many players throughout pro sports do we see put up great stats yet it doesn’t translate to wins?

28. christopher525 says: Dec 26, 2011 11:58 AM

@duanethomas, I’ll make you a deal if you want to say how amazing Tebow is, let Denver take our defense, we’ll take theirs. I promise you, with that swap Carolina may still be undefeated. As much as people want to hype Tebow, he’s mediocre at best, has to run a special playbook because he can’t throw, and he NEEDS the defense to keep it close so that he has a chance to look like a savior. Not sure if you’ve noticed but Carolina has actually leaned on Newton all year to get by, we saw Saturday what happens when you lean on Tebow.

29. omegaichiban says: Dec 26, 2011 12:00 PM

Every reason under the sun was given for why he wouldn’t succeed. Some valid, some not. His defense isn’t top notch and he’s thrown too many picks. HE’S A ROOKIE, that’s what they do. apologize if you have to, but Cam Newton is the real deal.

30. nightwalker43 says: Dec 26, 2011 12:01 PM

I think the skies the limit for him, but if I were a Panthers fan I would be hoping that this early success doesn’t go to his head. It’s not the worst thing in the world for a young player to have adversity to test their character. Dare I say LEBRON JAMES. If it comes too easy too fast he may not be able to handle adversity as well when it eventually comes his way.

31. karlpk says: Dec 26, 2011 12:02 PM

To the guy who thinks tebow compares to Cam Newton: You are delusional and should seek help. The people around you should hold an intervention to keep you from ever wagering on football as you haven’t a clue what you’re talking about or looking at. But hey, it’s the holiday season so good luck with your man-crush.

32. jml4343 says: Dec 26, 2011 12:02 PM

Cam is not a good guy. We saw evidence of this while he was in college. Why do we forget this just because he scores a few TD’s?
    I can’t root for a guy just because of sportscenter moments.
    Until he keeps his nose clean for awhile I’ll be pulling for guys that have shown to be solid character guys.
    For now I’m pulling for the Mannings and Tebows of the NFL.

33. hooockey says: Dec 26, 2011 12:04 PM

Hilarious that there were morons on this site saying that Tebow is better than Newton a few weeks ago. Because Denver had a better record than Carolina. As if the teams defense doesnt matter. By their logic, Alex Smith is a top 3 QB.

Cam has a great arm, is a great passer who makes good decisions, and is a great runner.

I would bet the farm that Cam will be a Hall of Famer unless he gets hurt; but like the article says, he is indestructible.

34. qdog112 says: Dec 26, 2011 12:07 PM

Do and say whatever you want to, to try and discredit Cam. Change the whole paradigm by which you measure QB greatness if you want to. Cam will be back to conquer whatever hurdle you place in front of him. I am totally convinced.

35. tonymission says: Dec 26, 2011 12:08 PM

How is defense an excuse when the Packers can’t stop anyone? Which one is it?

36. khmer379 says: Dec 26, 2011 12:14 PM

I still take joe webb over him

37. madenatewell says: Dec 26, 2011 12:14 PM

I’m a huge panthers fan & I live in Idaho, have been since ’95. I’ve seen Frank Reich, Kerry Collins, Steve Burlein, Rodney Peete, Jake Delhomme, Chris Weinke, David Carr, Matt Moore, Vinny Testeverde, Jimmy Clausen, Brian St. Pierre, Tony Pike etc…Cam Newton is the best qb this team has EVER had, in just one years play time. Most exciting to watch by leaps and bounds.
    That being said, I don’t like hearing about how “indestructible” he is. Yes, he is great so far, but I think until he creates a larger body of work we can’t call him a top 10 qb…Maybe this year. I’m excited to see him develop and be what I see him to be in the future, a top tier qb. I’m extremely hopeful about the future, who know what this team will be capable of after free agency and the draft, not to mention the return of Gettis, Davis, Otah and oh yeah this guy named Jon Beason…

38. threedeep1998 says: Dec 26, 2011 12:15 PM

One of the more explosive rookie seasons since Randy Moss.

39. 1heatedtoombrayduh says: Dec 26, 2011 12:16 PM

If everyone reads they will see that they mean indestructible as in he can take a hit…hence the owner being quoted as saying he never sees him complaining or going to the trainers

40. elementaree says: Dec 26, 2011 12:17 PM

Duane that sounds ridiculous, espn doesn’t decide who is the better qb. They report on the happenings. Tebow is ok but pro bowl votes could be due to his popularity at the time. Yes, he is a winner, he pulled out a couple good victories. Barber escalated his stock. But the potential of of Cam heavily out-weighs any starting qb in the NFL. Now, whether he continues to due better and learn from the game. We all have to wait and see

41. jbcommonsense says: Dec 26, 2011 12:18 PM

The Tebow comparison? Just ridiculous. Newton’s rookie accomplishments are unprecedented. If the Panthers were as good as the Broncos on defense, they’d be in the playoffs. Give the Broncos and Tebow props for their run, but Cam Newton is just a phenomenon. [He helped me win my league this year.]

42. hamcamnewton says: Dec 26, 2011 12:22 PM

What can I say, I’m electrifing.

43. njsteeler says: Dec 26, 2011 12:26 PM

Good one duanethomas! Tebow couldn’t throw for 400 yards in back to back games if you spotted him 200 of those yards. I don’t think Cam has ever gone 2-8 in a game, and they haven’t had to dumb down the offense for him either. Thanks for the laugh…

44. dapple5 says: Dec 26, 2011 12:32 PM

@duanethomas

Are you serious??? So you’re telling us that if you had your pick between the two QBs, short-term or long-term you’d actually pick Tebow?? Not me. As for the won/loss thing that isn’t all on Cam. Denver’s defense has played much better than Carolina’s for most of the season but the Panthers have certainly put some points on the board. Cam’s a rookie don’t forget. Troy Aikman went 1-15 his rookie season. Peyton Manning didn’t do much better. So I wouldn’t put too much stock in that as a long-term indicator. Whether Cam turns out to be an Aikman or Manning is as yet unknown. But I feel comfortable right now saying that Tebow won’t.

45. amensfuror says: Dec 26, 2011 12:35 PM

Xojazz, his losing record is glossed over because he plays for a team that won 2 games last year, and whose defense this year is giving up 26 points per game. A guy can only do so much.

46. beastup22 says: Dec 26, 2011 12:38 PM

What did you say kiper? Blaine Gabbert is more NFL ready than Cam. For future reference stop assuming qbs who can rub can’t throw.

47. bullcharger says: Dec 26, 2011 12:39 PM

He’s indestructible just like the he Titanic was unsinkable. Any player can get hurt. He’s awesome but the hits will take their toll eventually and he will miss extensive time like McNabb and others have.

48. NakedCowboy! says: Dec 26, 2011 12:40 PM

he should be part of any legitimate MVP discussions… what a player!

And he was supposed to be a bust as per all analysts… i cant imagine luck doing any better… or anyone doing any better than cam…

49. packrulzm says: Dec 26, 2011 12:46 PM

I’ll admit when I was wrong………and I was dead wrong about this kid. Clearly and easily the most exciting player to come out of last years draft. Enough with the Tebow talk. Let’s talk about a QB that will be starting next year instead of Timmy Rah-Rah.

50. mojosmagic says: Dec 26, 2011 12:49 PM

Gee, talk up a kiss of death headline.

51. buschleaguebandit says: Dec 26, 2011 12:49 PM

Im so glad I got this guy in my ffb Keeper League…I can see many championships in the future, including hopefully my first one this year! Thanks CAM, you are going to break every record in the NFL before its all said and done! CAM is the TRUTH!!!

BTW GO COWBOYS!!

52. yettyskills says: Dec 26, 2011 12:57 PM

Warren Moon has helped him a ton, so much so if Warren ever wanted a QB coach job in the NFL he should be able to find one lickity split.

I had my doubts about Cam since he was never asked to make a read beyond the 1st or 2nd and then run at Auburn.
    But as it is right now he looks like a Steve McNair/ Randall Cunningham type talent.

I can do without the Superman’in in loses and early season though, save that Superman for helping to win a big game in the future.

53. 1captain1 says: Dec 26, 2011 12:58 PM

Fun to watch…

The Panthers should change the helmet to Carolina Blue…

…The silver just clutters an otherwice nice uni.

54. MCxShow says: Dec 26, 2011 1:02 PM

As great as Newton has been in his rookie season, the greatest of all time has to be Randy Moss’ rookie year: 69 catches for 1, 313 yards and 17 touchdowns (a rookie record)

55. txraiderfan says: Dec 26, 2011 1:06 PM

Now that the Timmy Tebag experiment is probably ending, maybe he’ll get the credit he deserves.

56. alonzo9mg says: Dec 26, 2011 1:07 PM

This guy is going to be the greatest QB in the game one day.

57. kansacity88 says: Dec 26, 2011 1:15 PM

Tebow……LOL! This time next year, we’ll see where Tebow will be compared to Newton!

58. newtons2ndlaw says: Dec 26, 2011 1:21 PM

When the dust settles Newton will become the Micheal Jordan of Football, book it!

59. jollyjoker2 says: Dec 26, 2011 1:30 PM

Cam Newton best ever? Silly. There have been a number of rookie qb’s and others who have carried their teams to wins and the playoffs in their first year. What’s the record of these guys again? So, are you sayn winning is less important than running up the numbers!

60. jpaq68 says: Dec 26, 2011 1:39 PM

Give Warren Moon some credit. He knew what he was talking about.

61. pantherguy344 says: Dec 26, 2011 1:56 PM

everyone saying tebow is better than newton is ignorant. if winning percentage was so important john skelton would be on everyones top 5 list. newton is the better qb and it isnt even close.

62. djbrown0811 says: Dec 26, 2011 2:08 PM

I’m hard pressed to understand the logic of Tebow being the better QB. I think Newton’s body of work this season and his overall command of a very sophisticated offense merit his standing as a top 10 QB in the NFL. Anyone taking the time to read about what his teammates think of him would understand that Newton is already a leader on that team, and will certainly wear a “C” on his jersey next season. The wins will come, but the most encouraging sign of progress is what’s happening now. They’re winning games with essentially a 2nd/3rd string defense. Think of what will happen when that defense is healthy and a full offseason is under this kid’s belt!

63. philtration says: Dec 26, 2011 2:13 PM

MCxShow says: Dec 26, 2011 1:02 PM

=================================

Gale Sayers scored 22 TDs in his rookie season.
    He gained 2,272 all-purpose yards, averaged 5.2 yards per rush and 17.5 yards per reception.
    He averaged 31.4 yards per kickoff return.
    He even threw a TD pass.

And he did it in a 14 game season.
    That is a lot better than what Moss did his rookie season.

64. totallyuselessme says: Dec 26, 2011 2:32 PM

That’s correct. He’s not Tim Tebow.

And that’s GREAT news for the Carolina Panthers. Newton’s ability as a passer alone would make him a qualified NFL QB. His running ability just complements it.

Tebow on the other hand is, unfortunately, a gimmick. I like what his heart and what he stands for, but his miracles won’t last. It’s this year’s Wildcat. Look for limited success next year and none the following.

65. shallowfan says: Dec 26, 2011 2:42 PM

Well, I’ve had to eat crow this season because Newton is the real deal and I didn’t think he’d transition well to the pro game, but he is lighting it up. If Carolina can get a defense they will be very tough to beat.

As a Bucs fan we have a long hard road ahead of us in the NFC South…all of the other teams have gotten better in the last 2 seasons and we have gotten worse.

There is not a better division at QB than the NFC South…which really stinks.

66. marshawnlynchlookslikepredator says: Dec 26, 2011 3:03 PM

I have made a complete 180 on Newton. I thought he was a fast Jamarcus, and I ripped him constantly. All he has done is prove me wrong every week. The kid can play, and I love to watch him every week. I see a lot of prime time games in his future. I hope he stays healthy and keeps proving me wrong.

67. cowboysallday says: Dec 26, 2011 3:24 PM

Hahaha I remember when that retard on nfl network Jason laconfora (idk how to spell that) said Cam won’t be ready to start this year and will only come in on wild cat packages…what a retard

68. duanethomas says: Dec 26, 2011 3:59 PM

Lol. Sarcasm stupid people.

69. maddogwhite says: Dec 26, 2011 4:10 PM

Best rookie QB ever?

How about Ben Roethlisberger going 13-0 his rookie year? I mean, the game is about winning. And Ben has 2 SBs and will be a future HOFer.

How about we wait until Cam has 2-3 solid years before we put him in the HOF or proclaim him as the “best QB ever.” At the end of the day, he’s the QB on a 3rd place team with a losing record in an era where QBs everywhere are putting up MONSTER numbers.

Rodgers, Brees, Brady? Ya think maybe all these new rules are helping QBs?

70. weekendatberniemadoffs says: Dec 26, 2011 5:01 PM

as a diehard, yet realistic panthers fan, cam doesn’t belong in a class with rodgers, brees, brady, the manning brothers, or even roethlisberger for that matter. comparing newton with this elite group of quarterbacks is not fair to either party, because quite frankly, his skill set is entirely different.

however, my interpretation of offensive ROY is that the award strictly based on individual stats, not wins and losses. giving dalton the award, as great of a season he’s put together, would be unjust. any other year dalton would win it, hands down, but unfortunately his stats are nowhere near as impressive as cam newton’s.

with that being said, the only thing that may stop the saints from making it to indianapolis will be january green bay weather. otherwise, i see them taking the nfc.

71. papacrick says: Dec 26, 2011 6:47 PM

Newton and Stafford = Manning and Brady of the next generation

72. christopher525 says: Dec 27, 2011 1:16 AM

You know, reading some comments here, I have to wonder just how right Warren Moon was before the season. Even though ALL the evidence is there of who’s a better QB, people still want the mediocre white guy.

73. raideralex99 says: Dec 27, 2011 3:37 AM

So the Panthers have a crappy defence is the excuse why Newton does not have a winning?
    Maybe Newton has good stats because teams play him soft knowing their offence can score at will on the Panthers defence.
    Is the glass half full or half empty?
    Let Cam play a few years and win a super bowl before you crown him king … Remember the dream team and Michael Vick … How did that turn out for you?

74. billy314 says: Dec 27, 2011 5:38 AM

Funny Thing is that all the Professional Cam HATTERS and football guru’s here forget that Cam is one man playing one position and doing a GREAT job at it. The other thing they forget is Defense win Games Offense put people in the seat. while I give credit to Brees, Tebow, Manning, freeman and the rest THEY ARE SIMPLY NOT AS GOOD AS CAM. Talke about a winning record, nither one of those QB’s could have went to Carolina as Rookies and acommplished what Cam has. As far as the Icon Mentallity Cam constantly give his team makes praises and let it be know he could not do it without them.. as for Getting on his level.. look at the last four Games yep they are doing just that and that is the making of a Great leaders.. Go Cam

75. faccda01 says: Dec 27, 2011 10:35 AM

You can’t blame Cam for the poor record. Have you seen the Panthers’ D? They have lost starters on the line, linebackers, and in the secodary. They have 5 LBs alone on the IR! Cam has made some bad throws that were picked off, but what rookie hasn’t? If you can’t see that Cam is a revolutionary player and barring injury, will be for years to come, you are blind .

76. faccda01 says: Dec 27, 2011 10:37 AM

raideralex99 – Your theory is that other teams let Cam score on purpose cause they are confident they will also score?

You must be a raiders fan with that mentality…

77. cem46 says: Dec 27, 2011 11:41 AM

I just saw that the Panthers were 21st in the power rankings. Shouldn’t they be #1 since they have the greatest football player the world has ever seen?

They should go ahead and induct him into the hall of fame now. Why wait?

78. travismichael5567 says: Dec 28, 2011 9:56 AM

Tim Tebow should never even be mentioned in the same sentence as Cam Newton unless you are describing how far in between they are. I’ll give credit to Andy Dalton who is doing quite well for himself this year. It drives me nuts when all i hear is tebow on the TV when their is a rookie QB who is breaking records left and right and is going against what everyone said he would do. Newton has almost thrown for twice the amount of yards as tebow and still has a better completion rating as well as more rushing td’s and passing td’s.
    I have no hate for the denver broncos just for the brainless tebow followers who cant read stats. Give credit to where it is due—-THE DENVER DEFENSE is incredible and yet it gets washed out by tebow. Who in their right mind would pick Tebow over Newton or any other Qb for the pro-bowl.

79. travismichael5567 says: Dec 28, 2011 9:56 AM

80. sports150 says: Dec 30, 2011 8:34 AM

KIR says: Dec 26, 2011 11:14 AM

no offense to you kir, however, college accomplishments mean little when critiquing an nfl quarterback .. how many elite nfl qbs won a ‘national title’ ? .. manning sure didn’t .. neither did brees, roethlisberger, rivers, etc etc .. in fact the majority of national title winning qbs that I can think of never did squat in the nfl .. not a good measuring stick .. Luck may very well come in and do very well immediately .. we just don’t know