Vikings say goal for Adrian Peterson is Week One return

Minnesota Vikings v Detroit Lions Getty Images

The Minnesota Vikings say Adrian Peterson will have surgery to repair his torn ACL in seven to ten days, and that the team’s goal is a recovery time of eight or nine months, which would put him on pace to start Week One of the 2012 season.

“We are going to hold the goal to have him ready for the first game,” Vikings head athletic trainer Eric Sugarman said, in comments distributed by the team. “The goal is around 8-9 months, around 8 months is going to probably be our first game. So we do think the potential is to have him ready for the beginning portion of next season, so that is going to be our goal.”

Peterson, who has not yet chosen a surgeon, is now on injured reserve and was replaced on the roster by Caleb King, who was elevated from the practice squad.

Sugarman said he’s optimistic that Peterson will prove to heal faster than most athletes who suffer similar injuries.

“I really don’t want to compare Adrian to any other athlete I have worked with or any other athlete that has played in the NFL that has had an ACL injury, because Adrian is a unique individual and we are just going to take him and his protocol step by step and see how he attacks it and has success,” Sugarman said.

If Peterson is in the starting lineup when the season starts in early September, that would have to be considered a success for the Vikings.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
28 Responses to “Vikings say goal for Adrian Peterson is Week One return”
  1. bengals3285 says: Dec 26, 2011 4:47 PM

Get better soon AP. Your an amazing player and I hate to see you go down like that.

2. ickky says: Dec 26, 2011 4:50 PM

best of luck All Day!

3. tremoluxman says: Dec 26, 2011 4:51 PM

Call me cynical, but the hit on AP looked like a deliberate attempt to take his leg out. The guy comes crashing in low with his helmet and shoulder right into his knee.
    Same with the hit on Ponder that gave him a concussion. Why wasn’t it flagged as a helmet-to-helmet? Watch the video, Ponder was nearly on the ground when the player comes flying in and creams him in the upper right side of his helmet, snapping his head back.

4. sterling7 says: Dec 26, 2011 4:52 PM

Should be week one 2013, let’s not be ridiculous and jeopardize his career……..take your time, you’ll need it-signed a Minnesota Viking die-hard!

5. richm2256 says: Dec 26, 2011 4:54 PM

If they don’t want him to miss a game, I’d suggest they ask Wes Welker who his doc was.

6. bcknights says: Dec 26, 2011 4:56 PM

If anyone can come back in 8 to 9 months AP can do it. Just don’t want them to rush him. AP take your time, you have nothing to prove. Just get well, the game will be there when you’re ready.

7. omegaichiban says: Dec 26, 2011 4:58 PM

Uhh hasn’t chosen a surgeon?? Dr. James Andrews anyone. Only in Minnesota…SMH

8. cameran0804 says: Dec 26, 2011 5:09 PM

This dude is special, he will be ready for week 1 next year!!

9. beastofeden says: Dec 26, 2011 5:17 PM

Not likely. Especially with the new HGH testing about to be implimented.

But with a college degree from the Univ. of Oklahoma and his millions and millions of dollars, I’m sure Adrian continue to live a great life even if playing football is no more for him.

10. numberoneinthehoodg says: Dec 26, 2011 5:18 PM

Yo Adrian,
    If you read this (and I’m sure all NFL players do,ha) get the best. I hate when people bring their own personal experiences into this site, but I gotta say, I had one knee done by a “surgeon” and the other done by a specialist for the Olympic ski team and there is absolutely no comparison. It’s worth the deductible. Wait. What?

11. PantySTEELER says: Dec 26, 2011 5:25 PM

AP is a freak of nature. I have some die hard Viking fans in the family and I’ve been telling them since his rookie year that he would get seriously injured by season 2 because his style of running is a freakish mix of violent and agile all in one but he kept on proving me wrong. Not because he wasn’t getting hurt but he played through(and exceptionally if I may had) and has shown to be a quick healer. If you’re smart get him to Dr Andrews and don’t rush it. You’re better off letting him miss a few games than rushing him back(no pun intended). Besides Vikings aren’t going anywhere until you finally get a legit QB and revamp that crap secondary.

12. patsfiend says: Dec 26, 2011 5:37 PM

This is too bad. I don’t see any way he makes it back for week 1 next year, given his position and style. If he does make it back that soon, he’s not going to be the same.

Welker made it back, but he just had to run 5 yd outs and DUCK once he caught the ball, in his first 10 games or so. Peterson won’t be able to hide like that. Get well, AP.

13. goforthanddie says: Dec 26, 2011 6:32 PM

Of course. He rips his knee up in a game he shouldn’t have even been in, now the trainer wants to hold him to a strict return date.

14. draftdoctor says: Dec 26, 2011 6:36 PM

Former Viking RB Terry Allen tore both of his ACLs yet had 3 consecutive 1000 yard seasons after his last surgery. You may recall Allen beat out Herschel Walker as well. That said next year the Vikings will be dreadful and they should be reluctant to play him until midseason. Another of drafting high is needed and perhaps Matt Barkely will be a Viking in 2013.

15. captaintriumph says: Dec 26, 2011 6:36 PM

Clearly the coaches and players cannot see the big picture. Wilf or someone needs to step in at times like these and say NO. We will NOT go all-out and ruin our draft. We will NOT get our best players injured. I’ve never in my life seen anything so stupid.

16. linvillegorge says: Dec 26, 2011 6:41 PM

Peterson should talk to Panthers’ Thomas Davis about trying to rush back from serious knee injuries. Take your time and don’t rush it. When you’re ready you’re ready. Pushing too soon is only going to leave you vulnerable to reinjury.

17. aljack88 says: Dec 26, 2011 8:08 PM

patsfiend says:
    Dec 26, 2011 5:37 PM

————————————————————
    Got to agree with that and add that I don’t think Welker was 100% until this season.

It’s great to be hopeful though.

18. athleticmedic says: Dec 26, 2011 8:32 PM

Everybody wants to rush him to Dr. James Andrews. Let me tell you, he’s a “catch all” doc, meaning that he’ll operate on darn near anything. He’s not necessarily the guy to do this surgery. AP needs a knee specialist, NOT a “celebrity doctor”. He will definitely be doing his research here before he gets on the table. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that he goes to Vail, CO for his procedure…

They also WON’T be rushing him back. The MN Viking ATCs are some of the best in the NFL, that’s how they got him back in just a couple of weeks from a high ankle sprain, to the point that he wasn’t even listed on the injury report last week. That’s impressive.

19. 122u says: Dec 26, 2011 9:36 PM

I think Adrian Peterson would look real fine in Green & Gold :) If I was Ted, I would make you guys a trade after the season. I would give you Ryan Grant and Matt Flynn. You would still have a decent back and a quality QB if Ponder fails.
    Of course I’m not a Viking Fan, but respect Peterson and think he’s one of the best. I think he brings a lot to the game and hope he heals back to 100%.

20. gb4mn0 says: Dec 26, 2011 9:38 PM

captaintriumph says:
    Dec 26, 2011 6:36 PM
    I’ve never in my life seen anything so stupid.
    —————————————
    I’m confident that most people reading your post will feel also that they’ve never in their lives seen anything so stupid…………your post that is.

21. purpleisreallypinkyouknow says: Dec 26, 2011 9:56 PM

tremoluxman says:
    Dec 26, 2011 4:51 PM

——————————————————————————
    You seriously have to be the same dope that said the same thing years ago when Al Harris went in and hit AP on the knee and knocked him out a few weeks. Have you ever once put on football pads…?
    When a specimen of his size and strength comes at you, your instincts are to take him low and knock his feet or legs out, because you won’t take him down going high. 175 pound d-backs will do it all day like that to save their careers….also a reason why RBs have a short career taking the hits they do.

I’m watching the Saints take the Falcon’s Mike Turner down EVERY single play this way….as I type.

You really need your Timberdogs to start playing again, because you have no business discussing football.

22. favreblows says: Dec 26, 2011 9:57 PM

I hate to say I told you so……but I did.

The Vikings were complete idiots to give an injury prone RB a massive contract. They should have traded him for multiple picks and come to their senses that this is a passing league. They are so far from sniffing a divisional title with Rodgers, Cutler and Stafford working against them. And it is pretty clear that Ponder was a mistake.

If the Vikes were smart, they would draft RG3 and hope that he is their savior. Hell….Ponder is getting thoroughly outplayed by JOE WEBB.

I almost feel bad for the Vikes…..with this sad state of affairs……almost. Actually….not really at all

23. ugk612 says: Dec 26, 2011 10:11 PM

He shouldn’t rush it, I know he’s a competitive guy but he should take his time & make sure he is 100% physically AND mentally!

24. pr0phat69 says: Dec 27, 2011 12:12 AM

Frazier is lucky I don’t own the team. Frazier would be unemployed today .He had 10 carries and a TD. There was NO REASON he should have been in the game still. This could possibly end the career of one of the greatest players ever and for what?…to stay out of the Luck talks…..

25. sevensixtwonato says: Dec 27, 2011 10:36 AM

pr0phat69 says:
    Dec 27, 2011 12:12 AM

————————————————–

You don’t think for a second that if a team was cought trying to loose to get better draft positioning that the NFL will not rain Hell down on top of them?

26. mrvikingsfan11 says: Dec 27, 2011 12:22 PM

We are praying for you AP.

27. pr0phat69 says: Dec 27, 2011 2:33 PM

@ sevensixtwonato
    I didn’t say anything about loosing the game at all. You tell the purpose of playing him more then ten carries? You won…great now what…number four on the board instead of three? Any hope at all on coming close to a playoff contender next year rides on the back of AP,. And now you have possibly ruined the career of the only star on the team. As this year has shown the Vikings coaching staff has no idea what they are doing and are the laughing stock of the NFL. And this proves it. Oh and now you have to pay him for next year “just in case” and don’t know how long he will be out let alone how he will perform.

28. miniappleman says: Dec 28, 2011 3:04 PM