Jerry Jones plans to continue to serve as the Cowboys’ G.M.

Miami Dolphins v Dallas Cowboys Getty Images

When Jerry Jones purchased the Cowboys in 1989, he installed himself as the team’s G.M.  The move, coming years before the Internet and at a time when sports talk radio hadn’t become anything close to what it now is, generated not much criticism or buzz.  Besides, the abrupt firing of the only coach in franchise history — Tom Landry — and the hiring of former University of Miami coach Jimmy Johnson consumed most of the focus in the wake of the transaction.

Today, no new owner would be able to get away with making himself the team’s G.M. absent any actual NFL experience.  Thus, the last of the owners with the ability to pull off the dual-role G.M. gig will be Jerry Jones of the Cowboys.

And Jones doesn’t plan to yield his duties any time soon.

“When I bought the team I said that there’s no way I could make the kind of commitment that I’m making to buy the team . . . and not have the final say relative to the kinds of things that general managers decide,” Jones told KTCK-AM, via John Machota of the Dallas Morning News.  “So, I don’t see that at all.  What I do see is a better straight line way of making decisions and that has born out over the years.  Now we need to win a Super Bowl.”

As Jones approaches his 70th birthday, he also doesn’t see himself retiring.  “Well, when you enjoy what you’re doing as much as I do then what are you retiring from?” Jones said.  “I understand and I’ve done that.  I’ve had that briefcase in my particular case and made calls 17 hours a day.  I would probably stop that at some point to do something that I enjoyed more.  But as far as running the Cowboys, being involved in the NFL, being involved in sports, I don’t know what I would do relative to what you’d be doing that I enjoy more than what I’m doing.  So I don’t see retiring from that.”

Some Cowboys fans surely fear that Jones will never retire, holding power even if/when his health declines.  It’s a valid concern, and Jones would be serving the franchise well if he puts a mechanism in place now to ensure that some future version of himself won’t harm the interests of the team by refusing to step aside when the right time to do so arrives.

Permalink 74 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
74 Responses to “Jerry Jones plans to continue to serve as the Cowboys’ G.M.”
  1. commandercornpone says: Dec 27, 2011 6:37 PM

hell, he’s the first guy he should fire.

2. polegojim says: Dec 27, 2011 6:37 PM

Then the Cowboys….and fans…. should plan on things not improving much….

Sad that ownership and wealth isn’t enough.

Somebody has never grown up…even at 70.

3. jonka says: Dec 27, 2011 6:40 PM

The Cowboys will never be in serious contention with tony romo at QB.

4. Patriot42 says: Dec 27, 2011 6:40 PM

He can do whatever he wants as an owner it may be wrong but who is going to fire him?

5. justaintrightisit says: Dec 27, 2011 6:44 PM

And cowboy haters around the world are very happy to hear this

6. realitypolice says: Dec 27, 2011 6:46 PM

========================

Why not? Who would stop them? Sure, the backlash would be greater than before, but it’s still their team to do with what they want.

What force are you envisioning stopping them? An army of bloggers? A phalanx of torch carrying season ticket holders?

NFL fans have shown over and over again that they will continue to support their team no matter how much crap is thrown at them. A billionaire buying a team and appointing himself GM would be no different.

7. gb4mn0 says: Dec 27, 2011 6:46 PM

I’m shocked! This is truly a surprising development.

Maybe Jerry feeding his ego as GM is due more to Jerry’s jones not being the jones that Jerry Jones wishes his jones was.

8. nowillrepeat says: Dec 27, 2011 6:48 PM

Good news for the rest of the league

9. huskersrock1 says: Dec 27, 2011 6:50 PM

I think it is in Dallas’s best interest that he continues to serve as GM. What competent GM candidate would agree to work for him?

10. terrellpryorstattooartist says: Dec 27, 2011 6:54 PM

While I dont think Jerry is a qualified gm at all I must admit that I’ve never seen him miss one tackle or throw any interceptions and even though I don’t think he’s a very good gm the cowboys do have quite a bit of talent every year and I can’t say he doesn’t provide his team with quality depth because we all saw what demarco murry did this year. So in short he may not be part of the problem he’s also not a huge part of the solution

11. griblets says: Dec 27, 2011 6:57 PM

It’s his team and his prerogative. If I owned a team, I’d be involved in the operations, too.

Based on the posts I read on this site and others, he is certainly more qualified than the fans are.

12. cmr123 says: Dec 27, 2011 6:58 PM

Good for him.

13. jimr10 says: Dec 27, 2011 6:59 PM

Best G.M. Ted Thompson
    Worst G.M.. Jerry Jones
    Best Owner..Bob Kraft
    Worst Owner..Jerry Jones..
    seems like there is a pattern here.

14. eigglesnosuperbowls says: Dec 27, 2011 7:01 PM

Thats good news for the rest of the NFC east !

15. tampajoey says: Dec 27, 2011 7:06 PM

Since Al Davis died the NFL needed another crazy old micro-managing owner to run his team into the ground to satisfy his ego.

16. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Dec 27, 2011 7:07 PM

You are forgetting Danny Boy Snyder as the other owner/GM and he came after Jones. Now, he might not have the title GM, but anyone who knows anything about the skins know he has been the string puller(through a generally terrible Vinny Cerato). He gave up control once to Marty(for one whole year) and Gibbs once, though he was still heavy into draft apparently).
    And you see what’s happened to the skins. The 2nd best thing for a skins fan, next to Snyder selling the team, is for Jones to remain of GM of the boys…

17. duanethomas says: Dec 27, 2011 7:12 PM

Ok. Fan Poll. If you were a owner of a team, on merit only would you hire Jerry Jones as your G.M.?

Yes. Thumbs Up

No. Thumbs Down

18. rando74 says: Dec 27, 2011 7:15 PM

Then the Cowboys should continue to plan to never win a Super Bowl or ever be better than 9-7.

Congratualations Dallas. You are the new Oakland Raiders.

19. bobhk says: Dec 27, 2011 7:20 PM

Did Jones make all those personnel decisions in the late 80s and early nineties that landed the cowboys those 3 trophies?
    If that’s the case, I’m impressed. Didn’t Johnson have any say in that?

20. goforthanddie says: Dec 27, 2011 7:20 PM

jimr10 says:

Worst Owner..Jerry Jones..
    ————————-

I’m pretty sure Cincinnati/DC fans would have a winning argument there. Dallas has won a couple SB since Jones took over.

21. lemmam says: Dec 27, 2011 7:23 PM

this is great news for the rest of the NFL

22. blackqbwhiterb says: Dec 27, 2011 7:23 PM

Truth be told, he’s been GM for 20 years, they’ve won 3 Super Bowls, had a winning record most of those years, been to the playoffs more often than not….he has put together a roster VERY Full of good players. He simply has not gotten good coaching. I’m as big a Cowboy hater as there is, but the truth is the truth- there’s many teams with “conventional” management structures that way less successful……

23. fittytuckin says: Dec 27, 2011 7:30 PM

And cowboy fans wonder why they have ONE playoff win in the last 14 years.

24. otis52gsh says: Dec 27, 2011 7:33 PM

Jerry continuing as the GM, means the cowboys will continue to be a non factor. Good news as far as I am concerned.

25. hardmike57 says: Dec 27, 2011 7:34 PM

Cowboy fans will be put into the same position as Raider fans-praying that their owner goes to his heavenly reward, & QUICKLY.

26. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Dec 27, 2011 7:36 PM

Jerry Jones is without a doubt the reason why the Cowboys will never win a Superbowl again (or as long as he is there). Year after year he fails to add talent to a depleted secondary, add any serious pass rushers besides D. Ware and he has never gotten out of the way of his coaches. What kills me though is that he is so defiant. The Cowboys fans, the media and probably even the players want him to back off or give the reins to someone who actually knows the game. Yeah they have 3 Superbowls but all three can be laid solely on the shoulders of Jimmy Johnson. He built those teams and as soon as people started to realize it, he had to go. Jason Garett looks like a scared little boy on that sideline and I honestly cannot blame him.

27. jimbobobjr says: Dec 27, 2011 7:37 PM

How ironic. He claims to want to win so badly, yet his stadium-sized ego won’t allow it.

28. jimr10 says: Dec 27, 2011 7:41 PM

Please do not give the early years success credit to Jones… it was Jimmy Johnson that made all those good personnel moves..
    That is the reason Johnson is not there now..he, Jerry, could not take it that Johnson was getting all the credit…

29. hellawaitsusall says: Dec 27, 2011 7:42 PM

We get this article every year don’t we…

30. tippet523 says: Dec 27, 2011 7:55 PM

Packer fans are very happy he is and will continue to be the GM.

31. Soulman45 says: Dec 27, 2011 7:59 PM

If another job open up on the Cowgirls team he should take it to.

He know how to make money but not run a NfL team.

32. tommyribs says: Dec 27, 2011 8:00 PM

As a GIANTS fan, I have to say that I hope Jerry never gives up his GM role.

One Playoff win in the last 17, soon to be 18 years says it all, doesn’t it?

No other GM in NFL history would have survived such ineptitude.

Think about that Cowboys fans, think about just how screwed you are.

33. imjinbrdgr says: Dec 27, 2011 8:19 PM

terrellpryorstattooartist says: Dec 27, 2011 6:54 PM

========================
    Well you can only blame either the players or the coaches for those things and Jones hires both of them.

34. youngry says: Dec 27, 2011 8:27 PM

Fantastic Jerry.

35. arnoldziffel says: Dec 27, 2011 8:28 PM

Jerry might be an average GM … and perhaps an average evaluator of talent, but as an owner he’s not been shy when it comes to putting up a state of the art football stadium.

It could be worse when you consider what other fans have to put up with. A brief list:

1. Mike Brown & his inheritance/family business – the Bengals,
    2. Daniel Snyder & his sticky fingerprints all over the Redskins,
    3. Jerry Angelo’s curious moves with the Bears,
    4. Whatever convoluted mess is running the Vikings …

Chin up Cowboys fans … it could be a heck of a lot worse.

36. cwby4evr says: Dec 27, 2011 8:32 PM

For all you non Cowboy fans, this is hardly news. I dont know why this would even be a topic of discussion. As Cowboy fans, we are painfully aware that the crypt keeper has a death grip on this franchise and he wont be happy until he runs it into the ground. Yes, we are embarassed. Yes, we understand that he has taken a once proud franchise and turned into a lauhing stock by his constant meddling. However, talking about it only strengthens his resolve. My biggest fear is that the remainder of the Jones crew will have the stubbornness without even having the college playing career that Jerry has which, in his mind, qualifies him as a “football guy”. He said once when asked why he won’t step down, “did you like those three superbowls? I hope you did very much”. Thats it in a nutshell. Three superbowls and he is a genius. It had nothing to do with the fact that Jimmy Johnson was a heck of a coach and there was no salary cap. Suffice it to say, we know we are stuck with him and we know what he has done to this team. Nothing we can do.

37. cardmagnet says: Dec 27, 2011 8:37 PM

He’s a great owner, but a terrible G.M. In the NFL, there’s not a guy I’d rather have making business decisions than Jerry, but he’s terrible at making personnel decisions and being team spokesman to the media.

38. dd393 says: Dec 27, 2011 8:38 PM

Al Davis reincarnated. The rest of the NFL rejoices.

39. hughjassphd says: Dec 27, 2011 8:39 PM

Somewhere Jimmy Johnson is laughing his axx off.

40. seatownballers says: Dec 27, 2011 8:40 PM

I honestly feel bad for cowboy fans. I relocated to dallas because of work, but im no cowboy fan. I see the fans frustration. The players act glamorous. The coaches are under constant fear for every game call or decision. But jerry is the biggest distraction of all. This decision has crushed the morale for years to come

41. fissels says: Dec 27, 2011 8:50 PM

Being GM of an NFL team has got to be one of the toughest jobs. Most of the folks hammering any GM could not do a better job. I do think though, that Jerry needs to admit that he is average at best at this job. To get to the Super Bowl a GM has to be a lot better than average. Jerry needs humility. He will never get it.

42. cup0pizza says: Dec 27, 2011 8:52 PM

No surprise, but it still sucks. Jerrah Jones is garbage.

43. footballhistorian says: Dec 27, 2011 8:58 PM

Cardmagnet has it as accurately as anyone else.

44. dladd79 says: Dec 27, 2011 9:00 PM

Pessimistic coward comments. By part time fair weather fans.

45. oldcracker says: Dec 27, 2011 9:02 PM

HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA – Cowboy fans deserve JJ as an owner!!!

“America’s Team”

HA, HA, HA, HA…it just doesn’t get any funnier than that.

46. darthvoter says: Dec 27, 2011 9:11 PM

This man has been a stain on what was one of, if not THE most prolific franchise in the NFL. He’s a petulant, vile, adolescent, misled, narcissistic, arrogant moron, who knows nothing about Football strategy, capability, scouting, durability or player personnel. He’s the poster child for all that is wrong with a GM/Owner. I see comments here talking about how he’s a “great owner” but bad GM….that argument holds no water. You cannot separate the two, because HE refuses to separate the two roles. He’s a child, even at age 70. I being a Cowboy hater, wish him to stay as fully involved as he can for as long as he can, because he is the de facto problem with the entire franchise, and as long as he stays, the once bright cowboys will be non-starters, languishing in JJ hell. Good luck with that cowgirl fans…he is the anti-thesis of how Successful NFL teams are run.

47. Daltons Bengals says: Dec 27, 2011 9:12 PM

**********************************************Who hired Jimmy Johnson?

Under Jerry Jones the Cowboys have three Super Bowl rings and a ultra first class venue to play in.

What has your GM done?

48. usmutts says: Dec 27, 2011 9:19 PM

Jason Garrett may – or may not – have the potential to become a fine HC in the NFL. He – and we – will never know so long as he stays under Jerry Jones’ thumb. He’s in a really tough situation. Jones coming down from his climate controlled box to help the coach “understand the situation” is just humiliating.

Perhaps he should give some thought to resigning at the end of this season, no matter how it comes out for the Cowboys (short of a Super Bowl). It would show some self respect on his part and, maybe, make him a viable candidate to coach a team not owned by a megalomaniacal narcissist.

49. johnshawisgay says: Dec 27, 2011 9:31 PM

What amazes me is that the fans still keep going to the games. Well, I guess it is exciting to see how they’ll blow a lead each week…

We have a bad owner here in LA in Frank McCourt and are in the process of running him out of town. People refuse to go to Dodger stadium until he is gone…

50. fissels says: Dec 27, 2011 9:48 PM

This team he has built is not terrible. There are some really good players on this team. He should get credit for acquiring them. His downfall has been the pass defense positions. The players he has put there over the years are really not even average.

51. randomguy9999 says: Dec 27, 2011 9:59 PM

as a non Cowboys fan and not watching the team moves that carefully….. I see an accomplished business man who bought a team and managed the ops and player acquisition at a fairly high level….

you can’t say that the boys don’t have all the talent, facilities, fan support, money, and attention to detail that they need to succeed.

to an outsider, it looks like he’s been unwilling to hire and enable a top flight coach / leader….

look at the Superbowl debacle…. JJ wanted it to be so perfect that I would bet he tried to micro manage the whole thing and couldn’t keep up with such a monster event.

and until he selects a top flight coach and says “it’s all yours, now get out there and win or you are toast”… AND lets the coach live or die himself… it’s not going to fly….

52. unbiased8383 says: Dec 27, 2011 10:02 PM

I will never forgive him for not drafting Randy Moss. Had he, Aikman would have played longer and we’d never went through that Bledsoe, Testaverte, Quincy Carter era. We have one a terrible O line and a worse secondary. Every week is a heartbreak. Now I’m numb. I expect us to find a way to lose and it just pisses me off every game. I have no confidence this weekend and I think the Giants suck. I just know we’ll go out scared and hope we win. If Jerry had kept Sean Payton…ugggh I’m sick of this crap. If you’re a Cowboy fan you know what I’m saying. Everyone just laughs at us every year. I look forward to Sunday night, walking out of the bar getting heckled and debating why I voluntarily put myself through this.

53. wozzmann1955 says: Dec 27, 2011 10:10 PM

dd393 says: Dec 27, 2011 8:38 PM

Al Davis reincarnated. The rest of the NFL rejoices.

I would not give him that,,Al in his younger days was a force,he made football better in the end,,I dont see anything like that from Jerry Jones

54. jobo50 says: Dec 27, 2011 10:30 PM

I was chuckling so hard when typing i got the above screwed up He will be the COWBOYS NEW HEAD COACH..

55. gmen5280 says: Dec 27, 2011 10:52 PM

Who ever thinks the puppet master would actually give up his strings is crazy. The guy has a bigger ego then any other businessman I can think of. Well maybe “the Donald” would be neck and neck with Jera. The guy is trapped in the glory that was 2 decades ago.

56. tashkalucy says: Dec 27, 2011 11:03 PM

Jerry is great copy.

He is a total failure as a football man, and has proved it for decades now.

57. dladd79 says: Dec 27, 2011 11:14 PM

darthvoter says: Dec 27, 2011 9:11 PM

___________________
    And who are you? Coward couch rider! You sound like something else not football related is bothering you. Dorks at home always think they can hang with the big boys lmao.

58. trollaikman8 says: Dec 27, 2011 11:19 PM

Remember that one time Wade Phillips tried to get Dan Reeves to come in as a consultant in the offseason….lol. Jerry agreed and when he caught wind that Reeves will recommend dumping T.O., Jerrah nullified Reeves services over ” a time card issue”.
    Lololol & he proceeded to dump Owens later.

Jones thinks that he’s acquired GM skills because he was around Jimmy & Bill Parcells. The man is absolutely delusional. The only hope is that his son Stephen will take control in a 3rd world type of violent coupe and transfer all power to a real football mind with Jerrah locked up or medicated indefinitely.

59. dladd79 says: Dec 27, 2011 11:23 PM

usmutts says: Dec 27, 2011 9:19 PM

____________________

You are ridiculous its Jerry’s fault JG iced his own kicker and stopped running the rock with major leads against the Jets & Lions lmao. Even if they run but don’t gain a yard in those games Cowboys win! Must be Jerry’s fault. You are emotional about something else going on in your life.

60. localbandhero says: Dec 27, 2011 11:55 PM

I am a Dallas fan.

I would like JJ to get a GM and step back.

However, no one can deny that Jerry knows business. the second most valuable sports franchise in the world behind only Manchester Soccer…

The guy is a business genius. I understand him wanting to be involved in all the aspects of the company. But, unless you’re just a Dallas/Jerry hater….you have to accept the man is the story of American success (came from middle class folks…)

61. 1fast84 says: Dec 28, 2011 12:42 AM

Jerry Jones is not that bad! He’s owned the team like 21 years and since then the team had a winning record for 15 years, made it to the playoffs 12 years and also 3 super bowls. And to give Jimmy Johnson credit is correct but Jimmy and Jerry were teammates back in college and that’s why jimmy came to Dallas because of Jerry so Jerry does deserve credit.

As a bengals fan i’m sick of cowboys fans talking about how bad Jerry Jones is!

Mike Brown inherited the Bengals in 91 It took 14 years just to get a winning record! (mike brown is also gm) And Since 91 bengals have only had 2 seasons with winning records all together! Those 2 years bengals made the playoffs for one and done.
    I would take Jerry anyday

62. northstars1991 says: Dec 28, 2011 2:51 AM

Jerry Jones is such a clown… It must just suck to have such a dork in charge of everything. Just another perfect example why the fans of the Dallas Cowboy’s should be majority shareholders like the Green Bay Packers are. That way the fans could vote him right out of the organization…

63. tatatoothy says: Dec 28, 2011 7:42 AM

In related news, the Cowboys continue to suck it!

64. dikshuttle says: Dec 28, 2011 7:51 AM

“coach a team not owned by a megalomaniacal narcissist.”…. thar wuz one?

Kraft is one of the few, I guess.

But JJ is just soooo fitting as the figurehead – fake leather skin stretched over a decaying carcass (sp?)…. Sounds like Dallas to me.

Of course, here in DC we have the whiny tantrums of a pudgy brat…. sounds like inside the beltway, too. Maybe add some gout.

65. jpb12 says: Dec 28, 2011 8:05 AM

NFC East teams are smiling.

Al Davis reincarnated.

66. tatum064 says: Dec 28, 2011 8:49 AM

jimr10 says:
    Dec 27, 2011 6:59 PM
    Best G.M. Ted Thompson
    Worst G.M.. Jerry Jones
    Best Owner..Bob Kraft
    Worst Owner..Jerry Jones..
    seems like there is a pattern here.

===========

enough with the Bob Kraft stuff, they lucked into the greatest 6th round QB in history.

when Brady leaves, they get another QB then go to a Super Bowl, then he’s the best owner. Thats like saying “a Mercedes Benz owner is the best driver”…its a freaking Mercedes!

67. solomon151 says: Dec 28, 2011 9:54 AM

Jerry Jones put together that team that won 3 superbowls. Jerry was the GM, Not Jimmy. The Cowboys has won more division titles since Jerry becoming the Owner/GM then any other team in the NFC East period. The salary cap is in affect because of Jerry and the Cowboys. If not for that, that team could have easily won atleast three more Superbowls. Speaking of a cap, did any of you think that maybe thats the reason there isnt alot of depth on this team. Theres alot of money tied up in Probowl players. And for Sean Payton, Jerry wanted him to be the next head coach but Bill was already in place and the Saints came calling. I dont blame him, If he had of stayed he would had to wait two more seasons until Parcells contract was up. And speaking of Bill Parcells. Jerry gave him the keys, He had control of personal. He just couldnt coach todays NFL players. Jerry has done everything that he can to win. I seen one guy talking about he doesnt like Jerry because he didnt draft Moss. WoW. In a time when this team was trying to repair its image and move away from problem players. We drafted Greg Elis that year. Not the game changer that Randy turned out to be, but a solid player none the less. People talk about Jerry not being able to evaluate talent. Really?!? Your talking about the same guy that first made that historical trade and then brought in, Akiman, E.Smith, D.Sanders, D.Woodsen, R.Williams, L.Allen, Irvin, Bryant, Romo, Witten, Ware, James, Lee, Moose, Jay Novacek, L.Lett, Etc, Etc. Now how many Hall of Famers do you see on that short list?!?! I think you guys need to do more research before you start slaming Jerry. By the way, he is also the reason your teams gets sponsership deals. His impact on the game applauded, Not down graded. When it comes to Owners, Jerry Jones is above the rest. As G.Ms goes, HE’s in the top ten!!!

68. artisan3m says: Dec 28, 2011 9:57 AM

Nothing new here. So long as Jones remains GM, Dallas will never have a top tier had coach. Even Parcells could not overcome the stigma of Jones’ heavy handedness. If Jerry wants to continue to devalue his franchise in order to feed his ego, so be it. He will never see a Super Bowl with this coaching staff and he will never improve the staff so long as he is GM. Oh, he might attract one of the unemployed “names” ~ but only because they don’t want to remain unemployed.

69. luckyarmpit says: Dec 28, 2011 10:24 AM

That’s fine Jerry. May you live long and have good health for as long as possible. Not that I want any harm to befall you, but as long as you are G.M. and meddle in football operations, your team will continue to stink up the NFC East. You’re stubborn and haven’t learned yet that your place is to sign the checks and leave the coaching to, well, the coaching staff. Your Meddling Model may have worked in the 90’s, but I guess you didn’t notice that about 15 years have elapsed… times have changed and what worked 15 years ago probably won’t work now.

I raise my glass of beer to you, Mr. Jones!

– A Giants Fan

70. solomon151 says: Dec 28, 2011 10:57 AM

luckyarmpit says:
    ————————————————–
    Maybe you havent notice, But the Cowboys has won 9 division titles and 3 superbowls since Jerry took over in 89. The Gaints has only 5 and 2 superbowls. And only 3 since the beginning of 2000. While the Cowboys also have 3. So The only thing you have to say is that you all lucked into a superbowl win, By the way, The Cowboys happen to have won the Division that year too and swepted the whole divison. So yes, raise your glass my friend, Raise it high and proudly!!!

71. luckyarmpit says: Dec 28, 2011 11:42 AM

@solomon151 – No, “I” didn’t luck into a Superbown win, as I’m not on the Giants’ roster. “They” beat the Patriots for the Superbowl win. And it’s obvious you completely and totally missed the point of my post… nowhere did I state nor imply a comparison of Superbowl/playoff/division titles between the Giants and Cowboys. Allow me to state it more clearly so you can understand: As long as Jerry Jones meddles in football operations (as is his right to do), the Cowboys offer no real threat and that makes me, a Giants fan, happy.

Please proofread your posts before pressing the Submit button, to insure your reply is relevant to the conversation. Thank you. And don’t worry… my glass is always full.

72. trollaikman8 says: Dec 28, 2011 12:09 PM

Let’s not get it twisted, Jimmy Johnson bought the groceries with that team in the early 90’s. He was as knowledgable as any good college scout being that he ran a successful UM program. Jerrah Jones merely made the phone calls & cut the checks. Jimmy wasn’t always right : he wanted Steve Walsh more than Troy Aikman but if you for a second think that the Walker trade was Jones concoction then you’ve been duped by the bootleggers son.
    Jerry Jones was the GM in title only…Jimmy Johnson knew college talent & also assembled that staff of Butch Davis, Norv Turner, D.Wandstadt.

73. solomon151 says: Dec 28, 2011 10:46 PM

luckyarmpit says:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sorry friend, the reply was relevant. Sorry you couldn’t understand. Your saying if Jerry continue to meddle in football operations. Right?!? I can read. What I am saying, is that he has always meddle in football operations. And the numbers I called out before is a direct result of his meddling. He has always been the GM of the team, from day one. Sorry if you missed it or was to busy trying to be smart with your reply. I guess the truth got you all fired up. And as for not being on the roster of the Gaints. Another failed attempt at being a donkey. I’m sure you partied and talked like you was on the roster. Keep that glass close, as you might just need that drink after Sunday…

trollaikman8 says:
    ———————————————————————————–
    Jimmy brought in his staff, your right. But if you think Jerry had nothing to do with roster moves or the draft or that historic trade, then you my friend are the one drinking. I don’t really see the reason why you all have a problem with giving this guy credit. No, he hasn’t made all the right moves. But who has??

74. andyo9 says: Dec 31, 2011 2:43 PM

Despite his success as a business man, Jerry Jones has a lack of knowledge when it comes to football decison making and because of this, the Dallas Cowboys will never ever win another super bowl. He needs to sit back and allow the professionals he has hired, who know the game well, to run the show on the field. He needs to be reminded that the center of attention is the Dallas Cowboys football team itself, not Jerry Jones standing on the sidelines. For example, Bob Kraft allows his Patriots staff to make their decisions and as a result, they win super bowls.