Suggs says Ravens are headed to Super Bowl, not Pro Bowl

Cleveland Browns v Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

With the Jets’ playoff chances dangling by a thread (but still a fairly thick one), another team needs to fill the “we’re going to the Super Bowl” vacuum.

Enter the Ravens.

Linebacker Terrell Suggs said in the wake of Tuesday’s Pro Bowl roster announcement that his team is aiming higher.  “I have no intentions of playing in the Pro Bowl,” Suggs said, according to the team’s Twitter page (via NFL.com).  “I plan on being in practice with my teammates . . . getting ready for the Super Bowl.”

While not technically a guarantee but instead a Cowher-style statement of current plans, Suggs’ message is the closest thing that any team other than the Jets have done to calling their shot.

But Suggs has a point.  When the Ravens play a team that actually gets their attention, the Ravens can beat anybody.  But for their inability to beat the mediocre teams, the road to the place where the Super Bowl will be played would go through the town that the team that currently plays in the place where the Super Bowl will be played once abandoned.

Permalink 61 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
61 Responses to “Suggs says Ravens are headed to Super Bowl, not Pro Bowl”
  1. shaggytoodle says: Dec 27, 2011 11:46 PM

Too bad his old cordinator Rex all ready has it locked up for the Jets, but atleast Rex’s coaching has rubbed off on Sizzle.

2. 1fast84 says: Dec 27, 2011 11:47 PM

Doubt it

3. Bubby Brister says: Dec 27, 2011 11:47 PM

So I’m guessing they didn’t get Gatorade baths for making the Pro Bowl?

4. Soulman45 says: Dec 27, 2011 11:52 PM

THE GREAT DETROIT LIONS
    Will beat New England in the Super Bowl.

5. heyzeus143 says: Dec 27, 2011 11:59 PM

I hope he’s wrong

6. kaos3305 says: Dec 28, 2011 12:08 AM

Go Ravens

7. kokoskmr says: Dec 28, 2011 12:14 AM

Don’t spin that as a “guarantee”. No team is more aware of the stumbling blocks to the SB than the Ravens. They have come close 3 times in a row (losing to eventual AFC champs). They mean to fix that this year and Suggs is one of their leaders.

8. kilo0986 says: Dec 28, 2011 12:14 AM

Wasnt their superbowl in week 1?

9. childressrulz says: Dec 28, 2011 12:15 AM

does anyone else find the last two or three sentences of this story brutally written?

10. richm2256 says: Dec 28, 2011 12:18 AM

——————————————————–
    What????

11. Andre's Johnson says: Dec 28, 2011 12:26 AM

Yeah, I don’t know. Maybe. All the top AFC teams are so seriously flawed. I haven’t checked the Vegas line, but I’d imagine the current number is NFC by, say, 7.5 in the Super Bowl.

The Ravens are as good a bet as any to come out of the AFC. But they don’t strike fear in foes unless the game is played in Baltimore.

The Patriots don’t play any defense, and they don’t run the ball particularly well.

The Steelers may not have a healthy QB, and the offense runs hot and cold as it is.

The Texans’ injury issues are catching up with them, and TJ Yates will have to be near-perfect for them to have a shot at contending.

Whoever comes out of the West won’t scare anyone in the NFC, and neither would the Bengals or Jets.

Not saying anything can’t happen in a single game. Hell, we’ve seen it time and time and time again.

If Plaxico Burress had a gun to my leg and I was forced to bet, I’d put my money on the Patriots to come out of the AFC (blech, that makes me freaking gag) and the Saints to win the Superb Owl in a shootout…something like 41-34.

In my dreams, I have the Texans beating the Cowboys to a pulp in the Superb Owl, but that match-up looks to be a long shot at this point.

12. explosionsauce says: Dec 28, 2011 12:27 AM

Andy Lee called his shot for the 49ers. I’ll believe the best punter in the business.

13. pigbladder says: Dec 28, 2011 12:34 AM

“But for their inability to beat the mediocre teams, the road to the place where the Super Bowl will be played would go through the town that the team that currently plays in the place where the Super Bowl will be played once abandoned.”

i bet that sounded better in your head.

14. tedmurph says: Dec 28, 2011 12:35 AM

How about shut up, show up Sunday and try to win your division. Then talk about your plans for the future.

15. txndave says: Dec 28, 2011 12:48 AM

Hey suggs TALK is cheap..
    Go Texans……AFC CHAMPIONS!!!”

16. pfizzle82 says: Dec 28, 2011 12:55 AM

there is nothing “cowher-style” about Suggs comments. Baltimore.

17. jrob1030 says: Dec 28, 2011 1:20 AM

The last sentence of the last paragraph is so confusing.

18. p4ever says: Dec 28, 2011 1:30 AM

T. Suggs talks a lot but I don’t see anything wrong with what he just said. Every playoff bound team expects to be playing in the SB.

19. trbowman says: Dec 28, 2011 1:44 AM

He briefly forgot Joe Flacco was his quarterback.

20. keakuamai says: Dec 28, 2011 2:08 AM

I agree with Suggs. Heading to the superbowl (as a spectator) would be preferable over watching the pro bowl.

Hope he has a grand time watching whichever game he plans to attend!

21. walkedintoabar says: Dec 28, 2011 3:16 AM

Wow, way to blow that out of proportion.

When asked about the probowl, suggs said he was proud to get selected but, like any team heading to the playoffs, is focused on the road ahead. What was he supposed to say? “Can’t wait for Hawaii” and imply his team wont be in the superbowl? Just another out of context headline. Puh-lease. The only story should be in regards to a player on a playoff-bound team jumping for joy like a little school girl over the ridiculous fan voted probowl.

22. coachflu says: Dec 28, 2011 3:48 AM

Suggs is a beast, but this ravens team just seems primed for a fall

23. speedy138 says: Dec 28, 2011 4:23 AM

i would rather see the ravens in the super bowl than loud mouth rex

24. dawhorsefeathers says: Dec 28, 2011 5:55 AM

Man, those Gatorade baths really got under some yinzer skin.

25. raqaiw says: Dec 28, 2011 6:43 AM

OMG a player expressed that they want to make it to the SB. He should be fined. Why isn’t there around the clock media coverage on this?!

26. djstat says: Dec 28, 2011 7:10 AM

Wow. This is news that a player says he expects to be preparing for the super bowl? Wtf is he supposed to say, “we’re going to the playoffs bit I don’t think we will be successful?

27. steelersownyou says: Dec 28, 2011 7:22 AM

Wasn’t a guarantee, cause he knows deep down it will be playoff time, and that’s big ben & steeler time…

28. grpatriot says: Dec 28, 2011 7:35 AM

T sizzle…………always good for a laugh! U da man….

29. burtomatic says: Dec 28, 2011 7:44 AM

who dey

30. dreno322 says: Dec 28, 2011 7:49 AM

your forgeting about a stop in cincy this sunday Suggs! Your not the only team looking to get to Indy! awsome that your looking past the team that owns you at home…we’ll be glad to take advantage…P.S., tell the old guys we said hello!

31. sudz28 says: Dec 28, 2011 7:51 AM

As a Steelers fan I may detest the Ravens, but you can’t deny this guys passion for the game and desire to win. I do think the Ravens have the ability to beat anyone in the league when they play their absolute best, but for whatever reason they can’t consistently seem to do that. I only hope the Steelers can face them a third time this year, and that the Ravens aren’t up to the task that day.

32. BernardPollardIsAnAss says: Dec 28, 2011 7:52 AM

what else would he say? “Boy, I can’t wait to go to Hawaii because there is no chance we are going to the Super Bowl.” I mean, come on. I hate this ass clown but what else would he or any other player with a loud mouth on a playoff team say? Also, you are trying way too hard to be clever in that last paragraph. Sometimes less is more.

33. southpaw2k says: Dec 28, 2011 8:03 AM

And I hope he’s right.

34. noquickreactionshere says: Dec 28, 2011 8:21 AM

Love how there is a negative spin on this, what do you expect him to say? He never guarenteed anything, never said we “will” be in the super bowl. Simply said he expects to be there, if there is a team out there in the hunt that does not expect to be in the super bowl….. then they won’t be in the super bowl.

Remember: No matter if you think you can, or you think you can’t…. your right.

35. jimmysee says: Dec 28, 2011 8:40 AM

Soulman45 says:
    Dec 27, 2011 11:52 PM

THE GREAT DETROIT LIONS
    Will beat New England in the Super Bowl.

————————————————————–

Not if their first playoff game is at N.O.

36. tatum064 says: Dec 28, 2011 8:46 AM

explosionsauce says:
    Dec 28, 2011 12:27 AM
    =============================
    Who?

Sincerely,

Shane Lechler (all-time NFL leading punter)

37. jdfrox says: Dec 28, 2011 8:55 AM

This may be the worst attempt ever at making something out of nothing. He said he is “planning” on playing in the Super Bowl. So is ever other team in the playoff hunt. If they are not, they are losers. He did not guarantee his team would be there (for whatever that is worth). Is he supposed to say, “I am looking forward to getting bounced from the playoffs so I can go to the Pro Bowl!!”

38. steelersownyou says: Dec 28, 2011 8:57 AM

I’m gonna party & post all day sunday when ravens & their fans are all depressed AGAIN when steelers win AFC North…oh this 1 will be sweeter than all the rest!

39. raven4life21 says: Dec 28, 2011 8:58 AM

i hope he’s right, but if they play like they did last week in the second half, they will fall well short of their goal, fans in Baltimore are more nervous than ever, this team has been very inconsistent especially their intense Defense has lacked at times, unlikely of Baltimore football, I hope these guys kick it in high gear for the rest of the ride starting with a road trip to Cincy, if they don’t get some home field games they are in trouble, they usually like it the hard way in the playoffs but are def not as solid on the road this year

40. adkfootballfan says: Dec 28, 2011 9:04 AM

How can you go to the Super Bowl with Flaco as your QB?

41. marcus3321 says: Dec 28, 2011 9:12 AM

You have to get past the bengals first Suggs. You barely beat them the first time. Go ahead and overlook them just like the rest of the league has and you might be surprised at the results

42. noquickreactionshere says: Dec 28, 2011 9:22 AM

adkfootballfan says:
    Dec 28, 2011 9:04 AM
    How can you go to the Super Bowl with Flaco as your QB?

_______________________________

Not sure who Flaco is but you go to the Super Bowl with Joe Flacco by winning the AFC championship game. The winner of said game plays the winner of the NFC championship game in the Super Bowl.

43. cancelsundayticket says: Dec 28, 2011 9:29 AM

Even though I’m a mega Steelers fan….I have to hand it to Suggs, he always entertains and makes the best rivalry in the NFL even better.

I agree with sudz28, the Ravens, very much like the Steelers, can best any team when they are on their game…

Hopefully, the Steelers can get a third crack at the Ravens this year!!! Can’t think of a better matchup.

44. nightrain42 says: Dec 28, 2011 9:38 AM

Tell T Sizzle to win a superbowl…then he can tlk all the trash he wants. Must b something about Raven players and former coaches running their mouth b4 they hve done anything!

45. dmretrogames says: Dec 28, 2011 9:39 AM

They’d better beat Cincy this week or they’ll have to go on the road in the playoffs, and they stink on the road.

46. occamssabre says: Dec 28, 2011 9:47 AM

steelersownyou says: Dec 28, 2011 8:57 AM

And you’re certain the Stoolers get through Cleveland, huh?

You don’t think the Brownies would like to rearrange Charlie “Bankruptcy” Batch’s ankle as well?

47. deebo92 says: Dec 28, 2011 9:50 AM

As a Steelers fan, I try my hardest to respect the Ravens and I mostly do but I cannot stand Suggs. He hypes up the Ravens every single year and it’s starting to get annoying

48. raven4life21 says: Dec 28, 2011 10:02 AM

they might be inconsistent, but if they play to their abilities, i don’t think there is any team that can legitamitely beat them hands down, question is… which offense and which defense is gonna show up? if the defense shows up and the offense doesn’t, it’s gonna be a roller coaster ride for 4 quarters and they may squeak out a win… but without the D playing up to caliber, i don’t think the offense has what it takes to carry the team, this coming from a VERY NERVOUS DIEHARD Ravens fan

49. raven4life21 says: Dec 28, 2011 10:12 AM

I gotta say i think a lot of Suggs haters have a big misconception of him… here in Bmore we find him HILAROUS! he has fun with what he does and he loves doing it, he is very confident but if you notice he never actually says “we will” he only implies that they have what it takes, if you ever watch him on espn with Skip Bayless, Bayless constantly tries to suck him in to making such bold statements and he just won’t give in, Suggs has a face only a mama could love lol, if you aren’t a Ravens fan and you don’t like Suggs you are most likely a Ravens hater alltogether or just don’t understand the guy, he has fun with what he does and is far from a dirty player, if you think ANY Raven is dirty than i’d like to see the proof, feel free to pull some footage out of your butt cuz i’d LOVE to see you try, Suggs is loved in Baltimore, he is not your prettiest lookin dude but we love him, he loves workin the crowd in the stands and is an integral part of the Raven Nation, Go Sizzle!

50. cwitty63 says: Dec 28, 2011 10:19 AM

That would be quite an achievement since his team rarely wins at PBS .

51. rahavort says: Dec 28, 2011 10:21 AM

Suggs better make sure his team lives up to his words…if the headline didn’t stay who said this and what team he was from, I’d expect this quote to be coming from Rex Ryan.

52. vincentbojackson says: Dec 28, 2011 10:41 AM

What does Suggs know about playing in a Superbowl?

53. grandpoopah says: Dec 28, 2011 10:44 AM

That may be the worst sentence I have ever read. Stop trying to be clever. It isn’t working.

54. nickster31 says: Dec 28, 2011 10:52 AM

What, no T-shirt?

55. jmat40 says: Dec 28, 2011 11:13 AM

That’s what I would expect most players that made the pro-bowl to say. At least if they play for a decent team that’s how they should feel.

The Ravens kind of remind me of the NY Jets in that they do plenty of talking for a team that hasn’t won anything.

56. steelcurtainn says: Dec 28, 2011 11:25 AM

Wrong again Suggs! Your like Rex Ryan, you just keep spewing garbage out your mouth. The Pro Bowl will be in your future in less then a month. Watch and learn youngbuck.

57. somesome says: Dec 28, 2011 11:54 AM

dreno322 says:
    Dec 28, 2011 7:49 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are forgetting that no matter the out come of this game …. the Ravens ARE going to the play offs … so there is no taking advantage, if you win you are in and we are in – if you lose you are out and we are still in ……

58. purplereign52 says: Dec 28, 2011 1:26 PM

@kilo0986:

What about the week where we went into Pittsburgh and Flacco ripped your poor little heart out!!!

Baltimore whether going on the road has beat Pittsburgh at both Home and in Pittsburgh!!!! So you Pittsburgh chumps should keep your mouths shut!!!! Either way you’re probably gonna have to play us!!!! Guess what 0-2 against us!!!! The tide has turned and either way we will send you home!!!! Then we will go to Foxboro and run Ray Rice down there throats like we did 2 years ago!!!!!! When games count in the playoffs the Ravens will be ready for it……Because Ray Lewis and Ed Reed said so!!!!

59. mobuccsfan says: Dec 28, 2011 1:38 PM

Here is my two pennies…anybody but the Patriots and Steelers please. I think a Texans Cowboys Superbowl would be fun sometime down the road, perhaps. I really would love to see the Lions vs. the Texans. I don’t care what anyone says and the NFL should be hoping for more games like that. It is those matchups, IMO, that keep fans interested and give us hope every year when the new season begins but sadly, I think it is starting to get back to dynasties/favoritism to certain teams/teams with higher payrolls ala the Red Sox, Yankees and Lakers for example, just trying to buy championships. Of course, it is great when they fail because I love it.

Nothing wrong with wanting the underdogs to win it all. That is what makes sports fun in the first place and hell, given how bad the nation and world is going right now, why not have a feel good story about some loveable losers, especially say like Detroit where they have been hit very hard by recession/depression, to win it all in the end.

To me, it is perfect, but I am a Buccaneers fan, so what do I know. I am still waiting for my Christmas present…Glaziers need to fire Rah and Olsen and get a good coaching staff for next year!

60. mornelithe says: Dec 28, 2011 2:23 PM

Personally, I’d really like to see the Patriots go all the way this year, and dedicate it all to Myra. It’s definitely one of the more compelling stories so far in the 2011 season.

61. bdb808757 says: Dec 28, 2011 8:34 PM

As a Steelers fan I would rather see da’ burgh win against Tom Brady in New England when it matters, essentially what the Ravens hope to do against Pittsburgh this year. I think Roethlisberger and Brady would make for a better match-up in the AFC game as the two hold 5 rings altogether! As for the NFC, Brees vs Rodgers!