Cam Newton doesn’t see racism behind criticism

Tampa Bay Buccaneers v Carolina Panthers Getty Images

Back in June, Cam Newton vowed not to “bring race into the game” and he’s doing his best to stick to that as his rookie season winds down.

In an interview with ESPN The Magazine, Newton was asked about the criticism he faced before being drafted first overall by the Panthers. At the time, Warren Moon, who advised Newton leading up to the draft, said that he felt that the critiques of Newton that called him phony or questioned his smile were “racially based.”

Newton doesn’t see it that way, although his answer certainly touches on the issue of race when it comes to quarterback evaluations.

“But I can’t sit up here and look at it like, oh man, my critics are racist,” Newton says. “I blame JaMarcus Russell and to some degree Vince Young. If you have the opportunity to make that kind of money doing something you love to do, why would you screw it up? I’m trying to be a trailblazer. If Baylor’s Robert Griffin decides to come out, I want people to say ‘He can be the next Cam Newton’ instead of ‘He’s gonna be the next JaMarcus Russell.”

Griffin and Newton are both quarterbacks who won the Heisman Trophy, but assessing Griffin simply on whether or not he will be the next Newton or Russell can only happen if you fail to look beyond the color of their skin. Griffin is much smaller than either of those quarterbacks and plays the game in a very different way, making it, at best, an inexact comparison when leading up to the draft. This happens all the time in sports, not just football, and it’s the laziest kind of evaluation to make because it ignores the things that make each player unique.

It will probably happen, but anyone doing it will be just as misguided as those who thought Russell and Young gave some sort of blueprint to how Newton would do at the NFL level. Each player brings his own baggage — good and bad — and each player deserves to be judged on their own merits as opposed to the experiences of others who have nothing to do with them.

The criticisms hurled at Newton’s character weren’t much different than those faced by Jimmy Clausen or Ryan Mallett when they were being assessed leading up to draft day. Tim Tebow faced many of the same questions about the transition he would be able to make from college to the NFL. Race may have fueled some people’s dislike of Newton, but the scrutiny is the same for every big quarterback prospect to come down the pike.

If Griffin comes out, he’ll find that out very quickly. But so will Andrew Luck, Landry Jones (should he go pro) and, eventually, Matt Barkley.

Permalink 89 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
89 Responses to “Cam Newton doesn’t see racism behind criticism”
  1. bigjdve says: Dec 28, 2011 5:38 PM

I am glad he isn’t trying to use the race card. Most high draft picks especially QBs face ridiculous criticism. I remember when Aaron Rodgers got alot of criticism for dropping in the draft.

People just like looking for excuses as to why they are getting critiqued because who only knows no of it could be true.

2. bird2jasun says: Dec 28, 2011 5:40 PM

CaMvp 2012

3. joetoronto says: Dec 28, 2011 5:41 PM

This tells you all you need to know about Cam Newton.

I love this kid.

4. acerockefellar says: Dec 28, 2011 5:43 PM

If the reason people criticize newton is because of racism, then when they applaud him is it on to be anti-racist? Its a no win situation.

5. cowhawkfan says: Dec 28, 2011 5:43 PM

I agree. While there are always rascist idiots out there, the vast majority of the criticism of Newton had/has nothing to do with race. Tebow faces much of the same criticism and most of its not race either. QBs who don’t fit the stereotypical QB physique or skill set are always going to be singled out for harsh comments. There critics are he same type of narrowinded people who insisted the world was flat after the evidence was contrarian. Those people work in a box and can’t see outside of it. They are not innovators and do things cause “we’ve always done it that way”. It’s classic change resistance.

6. ivegotbigblogs says: Dec 28, 2011 5:44 PM

Wish you the best Cam. Stay classy my friend!

7. mjbulls45 says: Dec 28, 2011 5:44 PM

name drop on Jamarcus Russell?

taking a shot?

ha, maybe this is the kinda fire to lit Russell’s revival while he’s still fairly young.

funny if Russell were to come back and play Newton in an NFL game…and win.

8. ProDolphinsTalk says: Dec 28, 2011 5:44 PM

I don’t care if he’s purple. Cam Newton is one of the 10 best players in the league at any position. Carolina was very wise to take him # 1. Race hate was so 1961… Move on people.

9. thekingofnewyork says: Dec 28, 2011 5:45 PM

I used to think Cam was going to be the biggest bust and was a complete jerk. I really feel stupid now. I hope you have a long and productive career, Cam

10. norcal031 says: Dec 28, 2011 5:48 PM

I blame Jamarcus Russell…..ouch!!! Best interview answer ever.

11. ajknox88 says: Dec 28, 2011 5:49 PM

the most criticized position in the game is for the most important position in the game. he was the most criticized b/c he was the most important pick (#1), and for the most important position in the game… it all makes sence to me.

12. dondada10 says: Dec 28, 2011 5:50 PM

Cam is saying the right thing and good for him. He’s a constant professional.

13. Nikhil Balakumar says: Dec 28, 2011 5:50 PM

lol he just put down russell and young

14. johnnyutah06 says: Dec 28, 2011 5:50 PM

Im an even bigger fan of Newton now. I appreciate Cam not playing the race card which is an easy out for a lot of the media and athletes.

15. tfbuckfutter says: Dec 28, 2011 5:50 PM

I think there will always be comparisons between black QBs for two reasons….one the perception that they fall into the “athletic” QB mold more frequently….and second, because there is not a very well established pool of success in that group (I’m saying that factually not critically)….

As more and more black QBs are given decent opportunities, and more and more succeed, the way they are compared and viewed will change.

Failure rate of black QBs probably isn’t any worse than the failure rate of white QBs….it’s just there are so many more white QBs coming out. Although it seems the gap is closing.

And I will absolutely admit that I was very skeptical of Cam Newton. Not because of his race, but because he seemed really immature and I didn’t think he’d adapt well….but I will absolutely admit that, so far, I was 100% wrong. Love seeing him hand his TD balls off to kids, and I hope to see him continue to do so.

16. babar61 says: Dec 28, 2011 5:51 PM

Good attitude with this kid. Best of luck Cam.

17. nationalmediacansuckit says: Dec 28, 2011 5:54 PM

Of course race is an issue when it involves a black QB. It’s not racist, but racial. Cam is a good business man. He is saying the right thing. Don’t want to upset certain people. Good for you Cam. Keep up the good work.

18. wadecounty93 says: Dec 28, 2011 5:56 PM

This kid is a stud, he is a winner, and he says all the right things.
    I dont doubt that he wins a superbowl and has a terrific career in the NFL.
    If only he go drafted by my fins!!!

19. bozosforall says: Dec 28, 2011 5:57 PM

Kudos to Newton for not only overcoming the obstacles that were placed in front of him this season, but also for taking the high road when responding to his critics.

This coming from a poster who didn’t think that he would make the transition, much less do it so quickly.

Much respect for how Cam took care of his business in the offseason to prepare himself to play once the season began. More rookies would do well to emulate his work ethic and preparation, QB or otherwise.

20. Sam Von Schamm says: Dec 28, 2011 6:00 PM

That’s what you get for wasting your time and money on the worst sports mag of all time, ESPN the Magazine.

No one cares about the color of Newton’s skin other than a few racist, troglodytic neanderthals and the media clowns who will never be able to look past someone’s race.

21. johnnyutah06 says: Dec 28, 2011 6:02 PM

When the media brings up race I would like to start seeing them actually quote a source. Who are they talking about that’s being racist? Don’t just generalize tell us who it is that’s making racial comments. Im so tired of the media bringing race into the equation but not saying who it’s actually coming from.

22. blkmanwtan says: Dec 28, 2011 6:04 PM

The criticism towards Newton was racist to some degree. He was ten times better than Blaine Gabbert in college and yet analyst were saying how Gabbert was going to be a better pro, and it was based on nothing. If Gabbert was on Carolina we’ll hear stories of how Steve Smith was too old.
    They were so focused on making Newton look bad that they over looked Andy Dalton except for Cincy.

23. buckeye044 says: Dec 28, 2011 6:10 PM

Why is race even an issue?
    Some say Tebow cant play QB, is that racist?
    JaMarcus Russell was a bust……..so was Ryan Leaf who was the poster child before Russell.
    It’s criticism, nothing else.

24. packattack1967 says: Dec 28, 2011 6:11 PM

Impressive.

So tired of race discussions. Enough already.

25. 8man says: Dec 28, 2011 6:18 PM

…continues to prove whitey wrong.

26. cardinalscouldbeworse6666 says: Dec 28, 2011 6:20 PM

“But I can’t sit up here and look at it like, oh man, my critics are racist,” Newton says. “I blame JaMarcus Russell and to some degree Vince Young. If you have the opportunity to make that kind of money doing something you love to do, why would you screw it up?”

Would be Quote of the Year if not for Brandon Jacob’s’ beyond awesome “fat boy” jab at Rex Ryan aka the Embarrassing Uncle of the NFL.

27. siaaa says: Dec 28, 2011 6:22 PM

great player and a great attitude. Hardly any one expected this. he’ll be drawing people into stadiums every where for years to come. terrific role model for all kids black or white ..

28. ticalcaldwell says: Dec 28, 2011 6:22 PM

29. nflfollower says: Dec 28, 2011 6:25 PM

I gained a little more respect for Newton today, and I already respected him quite a bit. I’ve said from the start he could be one of the best ever.

But, his stats this year (turnovers) and the win-loss column should have prevented him from being a realistic pro bowl consideration.

30. crj202 says: Dec 28, 2011 6:25 PM

The future of the NFL looks bright with this kid leading the way.

31. nflfollower says: Dec 28, 2011 6:27 PM

“Cam has proven me wrong about his ability in the NFL…I thought he was going to be Vince Young 2.0….Hes got skills…..I still like Dalton’s ability more…..”

Dalton had a better year for his team this year, but I can’t say that I like his skill set more than Cam’s. You really think that? The sky is the limit for Cam, he’s gonna get better and better… (but people said the same thing about Josh Freeman last year)

32. nomoreseasontix says: Dec 28, 2011 6:28 PM

It’s a bummer that this kid can’t just enjoy having a good first season without worrying about the race stuff.
    I kinda blame Moon for trying to make it a huge issue, however right or wrong he may have been.
    Good job, young man. I was one who was skeptical. Not anymore.

33. fittytuckin says: Dec 28, 2011 6:28 PM

I love how people say he’s all classy and blah, blah, blah. Let him had said I understand a large amount of white people want me to fail but not all, then he would have been playing the “race card”.

34. jmb795 says: Dec 28, 2011 6:31 PM

I was a Cam doubter too. Mea culpa, Cam. Mea maxima culpa.

35. stevenfbrackett says: Dec 28, 2011 6:35 PM

Can I continue to not like him because of his arrogance?

36. skinsnhoyas says: Dec 28, 2011 6:37 PM

@nationalmediacansuckit
    Exactly!!! He gave y’all the company line,ask him the same question at the barbershop or family cook out.

37. gb4mn0 says: Dec 28, 2011 6:38 PM

The only way this excellent young man’s success gets derailed is if someday he signs or is traded to MN.

38. earthtopft says: Dec 28, 2011 6:41 PM

Race has nothing to do with it. Newt would be just as big an idiot if he was white. Or brown. Or yellow, like some Asian people appear.

39. KIR says: Dec 28, 2011 6:47 PM

If you’re like me, and highly skeptical of these media draft experts. You’ve got to love Nolan Nawrocki’s draft grade and analysis of Cam Newton. “Smile”……. really? Nawrocki will always best be known for that evaluation and is going to eat crow for the next 10 years for that evaluation of a 21 year old kid. You earned it, Nawrocki.

40. maxvv says: Dec 28, 2011 6:50 PM

Cam Newton is probably my favorite player from a team other than my own. This dude deserves twice the hype Tebow gets.

41. wicky888 says: Dec 28, 2011 6:50 PM

I like Cam Newton, and as a Falcon fan who hates Carolina that’s tough to say.

42. KIR says: Dec 28, 2011 6:53 PM

I never want to hear the name JaMarcus Russell again in my life!

43. Slim Charles says: Dec 28, 2011 6:55 PM

Newton is a consummate professional, but this comment is going to give validation to a lot of racists who are gonna be like “SEE!! SEE!!” It will be the “I have a lot of black friends” of sports discussion.

44. huejackson says: Dec 28, 2011 7:00 PM

Well I just look at the facts
    FACT: Black qbs are not successful in the NFL
    Thats not racist its a fact
    Just like more whites are child molesters
    Its a fact..
    People are so hung up on race mostly in the south but I dont think theres anything wrong with stating facts..
    At the ned of the day numbers do not lie and numbers are not racist

45. pantherfaninmd says: Dec 28, 2011 7:18 PM

Say what you want, but Cam Newton is the real deal. I watched every single Carolina snap this year, whether good or bad, Cam always had a smile on his face. The kid loves the game and will take it to the next level. Imagine what he will do with a real off season under his belt.

46. kinguga says: Dec 28, 2011 7:20 PM

“Gone are the days of the drop-back quarterback who can only throw the ball,” says Newton. “You know the new iPhone? It’s faster, more powerful and smarter. It’s revolutionary. Why can’t the quarterback be like that? Why can’t you be a big, tall, fast, quick, strong, smart, mobile quarterback who’s unstoppable?”

“People are gonna respect the Panthers,” says Newton. “And I want what I do as a quarterback to be scary. I want people to be in fear. I want it, and I’m gonna get it. But I realize now it’s a process.”

Those are the quotes from the article that I found most interesting. He sounds like Kobe. A lot of people love Kobe, but more people hate Kobe. Cam’s got loads of talent and the ego to match.

47. trbowman says: Dec 28, 2011 7:26 PM

The only people who ever thought racism was behind that are poor, deluded souls.

And what criticism? Can’t remember the last time I heard something negative about the kid.

48. nationalmediacansuckit says: Dec 28, 2011 7:27 PM

@skinsnhoyas
    You know how it is. Sometimes you gotta be a certain way and say the politically correct thing. You’re right though, get him around the fellas and you know what the answer will be. Like I said though, that’s a good business answer. I can’t knock his hustle.

49. shlort says: Dec 28, 2011 7:27 PM

I dont think people look at race as much as some reporters and others might think. Cam Newton is going to be great, if this year has been any indication of his abilities. He is a lot like Steve Young. Accurate passer and mobile. People compare a lot of Quarterbacks to others along the lines of failure. Especially if the failed QB is hyped up by the Media. It isnt the general publics fault if some players are expected to perform and dont. It is one thing if the player fails to adapt to the pro game. It is another thing aall together if the player wastes his abilities because they refuse to try.

50. briang123 says: Dec 28, 2011 7:30 PM

Cam Newton speaks so well.

51. Reggie's Bush says: Dec 28, 2011 7:36 PM

The following quote feels appropriate to this convo, from Robert Griffin III about black quarterbacks switching positions:

“Because I was a sprinter in track, that was the biggest thing. When you have an African-American quarterback who’s extremely athletic, a lot of times those coaches think, ‘Well, I can go get a less athletic quarterback who might not be as explosive but can still throw the ball a little bit, and move this guy to receiver because he’s got world-class speed. It’s not, ‘We’re gonna move you to a different position because you’re African-American.’ It’s, ‘You’re probably the best athlete on your team, so we need athletes at different positions.'”

52. mbhcu98 says: Dec 28, 2011 7:38 PM

I think a lot of you wish what was said prior to the draft was totally not about race. A lot of it was, like people saying he was stupid or couldn’t talk very well was definitely about his race. People made ASSumptions about him without even hearing him speak. He is being a big man by not mentioning the race card but, be assured, he is only being bigger than those idiots. To deny race had anything to do with the criticism he faced is being blind and serves none of us well. Turning a blind eye to the obvious is tantamount to allowing it become worse and when it does, we all ACT like we didn’t know it was there. That is the problem with this country- everyone wants to ACT as race isn’t something that still matters when we all know it does. Stop denying and let’s have the conversation. Open conversation about how we feel about race is the only way to end racism. Not denying it at every turn and allowing it to fester and grow. How many negative events are worked out by ignoring it?

53. mbhcu98 says: Dec 28, 2011 7:41 PM

What prevented Cam from being a Pro Bowler was AAron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Matt Ryan.

54. mbhcu98 says: Dec 28, 2011 7:45 PM

huejackson you’re stupid- Black QBs never did well in the NFL because they were not allowed to play the position until recently. Black QBs had to come to the NFL and switch positions to a RB or WR because it was thought we were not smart enough to play the position by white people. That’s completely racial. Know your facts. Warren Moon spent years playing football in Canada because he didn’t want to switch positions, he wanted to be a QB. If he had listened to those white talent evaluators he would’ve been a TE in the NFL.

55. 3ghostninja says: Dec 28, 2011 7:57 PM

People are still criticizing Cam Newton?!?!?

I was a little down on him initially, but then they started actually playing the games. Dude’s a baller, pure and simple. He’s going to be one of the greats for a long time.

In 5 years, I can see the top 5 QBs in the NFL being Newton, Stafford, Brees, Romo and Roethlisberger.

That assumes that Manning and Brady (who would be 40 in 5 years) are no longer in the mix and ignores the likes of Luck and Barkley.

56. binarybulge says: Dec 28, 2011 8:02 PM

@mbhcu98: So how would you propose they evaluate the mental acumen of black athletes? They already have the Wonderlic, which is certainly not all-encompassing, but it provides a decent enough estimate of intelligence.

They don’t ASSUME they aren’t smart enough… their grades in school and poor tests tell the story for them.

I’m not even being a bigot here. I think if anything CULTURE prevents them from excelling in school. Either way, if the mold is not broken, you’ll just have to deal with the other side of things.

57. melikefootball says: Dec 28, 2011 8:04 PM

I had my doubts about Newton after the pre draft junk but he proved to be as advertised. He had one heck of a year and somethine the Panther fans can look forward to. You get sick and tired of hearing the racism word used when nothing else works.

58. rayguyreturns says: Dec 28, 2011 8:16 PM

So, what’s so wrong with JaMarcus Russell?

(*ultimate sarcasm remark*)

59. nationalmediacansuckit says: Dec 28, 2011 8:35 PM

@mbhcu98
    Very well said my friend. Though the problem is most people who think racism is a figment of black people’s imagination are people who don’t know or communicate with blacks or any minority to know what experience they are living. Of course racism is not blatant and prevalent like years past but it’s there. Trust me, I work in the professional business world and I know it all too well. Bottom-line, sometimes it isn’t about race and sometimes it is. I live a great life, but this is the world I live in.

60. binarybulge says: Dec 28, 2011 8:40 PM

@rayguyreturns: We’ll never know. His career was stuck in Oakland purgatory.

61. kevpft says: Dec 28, 2011 8:43 PM

The name-dropping he’s doing in these quotes tells me that he has high standards and doesn’t suffer fools gladly, two good things in a leader. It also shows that he recognizes the significance of the opportunity he has. And we’ve all read about how much he hates losing, another good thing. He’s positive, well-spoken, and engaging, which are all useful things in the figurative leader and face of your team.

I bought into the skepticism before the season, but he has been a knockout. I wish him nothing but success.

62. lostsok says: Dec 28, 2011 8:57 PM

What an intelligent and well-thought out answer from a 22 year old. Cam is amazing.

63. 06mustang says: Dec 28, 2011 9:06 PM

What a bunch of crap. Why is it that every time a QB of color hits the scene the “race card” comments come out. Just let the guy play.

64. kevpft says: Dec 28, 2011 9:08 PM

@mbhcu98, if the same and actually much worse criticism wasn’t leveled at Tebow (religious nut who can’t throw) and Mallett (slow-footed junkie trash), and the memory of talented-but-shallow first picks like Russell weren’t still fresh in everyone’s minds, you might have a case.

There will always be someone who hates someone else because of race. In that sense, racism was involved with Newton, as it is with pretty much everyone in the world. But he was the #1 pick in the NFL draft, was given support and good coaching all season long, and has been unequivocally embraced by his team and fans, even before he started winning games.

This is not the racism story you’re looking for. This is progress, a step forward.

65. PantySTEELER says: Dec 28, 2011 9:13 PM

I love this kid. First off because he’s proven all of his critics wrong and secondly he understands that regardless of you may feel as a professional star athlete he needs to set an example and that’s what he’s done consistently. Race may or may not have played a part the criticism over his mechanics and making him out to be more of a mere freak athlete(terrell Pryor) but the real analyst/scouts know their stuff and that’s why he went 1st. If he improves on his decision making(will come with experience and hardwork-ask Peyton) and stays healthy this guy could re-invent the position. If I were a Panthers fan, I’d be giddy!!!

66. tradeassociation says: Dec 28, 2011 9:15 PM

binarybulge:

Cam Newton scored 21 on the Wonderlic. The cutoff for QBs is considered to be 20.

By the way: Tim Tebow scored a 22 on the Wonderlic. Chris Leak scored in the single digits, which is why he wasn’t drafted, as record-setting QBs who win national titles (yes, Tebow fans, Tebow actually only won 1 title, Leak won the other with Tebow basically playing fullback) generally are.

A lot of people were expecting Newton to perform similar to Vince Young on the Wonderlic. But when he scored above 20, that cemented his status as the #1 overall pick.

For what it is worth, JaMarcus Russell scored a 24 on the Wonderlic. Russell had the physical and mental tools to succeed, and actually had a decent rookie season. His problem was, for a lack of a better word, laziness. Not simple laziness, mind you … he has some kind of emotional problem. He should have sought psychiatric or psychological help, especially after his life coach fired him.

Incidentally, enough black QBs have succeeded. Donovan McNabb and Steve McNair took their teams to Super Bowls. Randall Cunningham, Warren Moon and Michael Vick got their teams to conference title games. And all of them played for very flawed teams. It is just that for black QBs, the bar for success gets moved. Donovan McNabb gets trashed for never winning a Super Bowl, for instance, but Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, Jim Kelly and Fran Tarkenton don’t. And as for Tim Tebow: Vince Young went 8-5 in his rookie season for a horrible team that started out 0-3, took the Titans to the playoffs his second season, and wasn’t even supported by his own fans and local media. The guy had a 30-17 record as a starter with a bad team, and had to sign a $1 million contract as a backup while the Cardinals gave up a Pro Bowler, a 2nd round pick and a huge guaranteed contract for Kevin Kolb.

Newton is doing a great job playing the game, especially in the state that would still be sending segregationist Jesse Helms to the Senate were he still alive. But the unreal criticism that Newton faced during the predraft process over stealing a laptop THREE YEARS AGO when so many other players – yes including QBs – have done far worse … folks are trying their best to sweep stuff like that Nawrocki article under the rug, wouldn’t they?

67. cowhawkfan says: Dec 28, 2011 9:20 PM

@huejackson

You are wrong about the South. I’ve lived in the North and South for extended periods. There are more racist in the north by far. They just cloak it better. Many older Southerners still use the N word, as did my grandfather. But his best friend for 60 years was a black man. Don’t get many wrong, there are plenty of fascist in the South, but the Norrh has more than their far share. I bet you believe Lincoln freed the slaves too. (let me help you, he freed the souther slaves, but not those of the north). :)

68. negativten says: Dec 28, 2011 9:20 PM

This all make sense to me now
    Tebow is getting all of this criticism because he’s white

69. cowhawkfan says: Dec 28, 2011 9:21 PM

Please pardon my many typos above…

70. Gordon says: Dec 28, 2011 9:28 PM

Hating on JaMarcus & VY…I love this guy!

71. MightyMoonWorm says: Dec 28, 2011 9:29 PM

This is possibly because, unlike Herman Cain, Cam was not born with a race card taped under his tongue.

72. 8man says: Dec 28, 2011 9:29 PM

In defense of huejackson, by the way, what is the real Hue Jackson going to use when he joins, I present the following:

Only one black QB has ever won a Super Bowl. Doug Williams. I don’t know how many have actually played in the game as a starter, nor do I know how many have actually played in the NFL as a starter. It is just a statistical fact. Does that mean anything? No. It’s just what numbers say has happened up till now.

If I said it’s rained in Baltimore 11 of the past 12 December 29ths what would you think is going to happen tomorrow?

All of this being said, we all know how much money is involved in pro sports. It doesn’t matter what color your skin is, if a team believes you can help them win and win playing any position, they will put you there. The stakes and the competition for talent is far too high to allow bigotry or racism to effect how you run your organization.

Skin color does not matter in this league. Sexual preference, however……

73. worldwidebleater says: Dec 28, 2011 9:37 PM

Love this kid. He’s gonna be a star for ten plus years.

74. alanboy395 says: Dec 28, 2011 9:58 PM

I as a Panthers fan hated the Cam pick at first but this is one time I dont mind eating humble pie. He’s said all the right things and has gone and beyond on and off the field. The future is bright in Charlotte baby thanks to #1.

I even thought that Cam was the next JaMarcus or Vince who pretty much set black QBs back a few years, now RGIII will hopefully be looked at as the next Cam.

75. imjinbrdgr says: Dec 28, 2011 9:58 PM

Nolan Nawrocki’s draft grade and analysis of Cam Newton. “Smile”…….
    =========================
    People write this kind of crap and yet they still have a job. Why, because people will still read their stuff. I’ve never heard of the guy before reading this but anybody who would read anything this guy writes is a bigger idiot than him.

76. shewy62 says: Dec 28, 2011 10:05 PM

I am glad this came up. Can you imagine if Tim Tebow were black? Racism charges would be flying all over the place or the criticism would have been toned downed or dropped altogether. Cam Newton faces some criticism, and the collective breath of the sports world is held until Newton lets this matter drop. He hasn’t faced 1/10 of the criticism that Tebow has faced and much of what he has faced has been hidden as back handed or couched as analysis. This should not ever come up again. Racism is a two way street, regardless of definitions or the conventional wisdom of the left wing elite.

77. earthtopft says: Dec 28, 2011 10:13 PM

The criticisms of Newton were that he was

a) borderline retarded, and
    b) a raving egomaniac.
    Not that he couldn’t play quarterback well.

Both those things still hold true, and it’s just a matter of time until they impact his team, the league, and his career.

78. nesuperfan says: Dec 28, 2011 10:46 PM

ProDolphinsTalk says:Dec 28, 2011 5:44 PM

__________________________________

I have nothing but respect for Newton and his comments today, but to say that he is one of the “10 best players in the league at any position” is simply a gross overstatement.

He certainly could eventually get to that level, but he is still not really close to being an elite QB when throwing the ball (earlier this year we were questioning whether Eli Manning was, and Newton is not yet close to Manning’s level throwing the ball), and thus, is not top 10 in the league overall.

I do agree that Carolina did well to pick him as he looks very promising so far.

79. bleed4philly says: Dec 28, 2011 11:12 PM

Good for him. I really like this guy. He’s gonna win a Super Bowl some day.

80. blackbeardk says: Dec 28, 2011 11:14 PM

Just goes to show why the draft is such a crap shoot…JaMarcus had more talent than Cam…but no heart, and no desire to play the game…some things are too hard to measure…good for you Cam!

Gannon and Brady both had poor measureables coming out of college, but like Cam had heart, a great work ethic, and a love for the game.

81. binarybulge says: Dec 29, 2011 12:10 AM

3ghostninja says:
    Dec 28, 2011 7:57 PM
    People are still criticizing Cam Newton?!?!?

Uh you sorta forgot Aaron Rodgers (or did you?).

Anyways, the guy is totally open to criticism. He was a thief in college (Google the laptop incident) and the name-dropping now, while funny, makes him a jag-off.

I still hope he continues to succeed in the NFL (preferably with his mouth stapled shut). He’s a great talent and fun to watch.

82. jerrykill4pres says: Dec 29, 2011 1:55 AM

What really stinks is it’s 12/29/2011!!! 2011, and people still bring up race, and have racial issues. It really is a bad thing. Cam Newton has done nothing but said, and did the right things all season long. He’s had a great attitude, said the right things in the media, and probably behind closed doors. On the field, he has made plays from everywhere out there. Whether that be in the pocket, with his arm, or rolling out, or running. Warren Moon should have never brought race up, but you can see why in a way that he did, just because of the previous 2 quarterbacks who weren’t white, and they haven’t succeeded. But can you blame that on race? NO! They flat out couldn’t transition their college game to the NFL. But here’s a nugget that isn’t any new news. There’s plenty of white qb’s who’s college game hasn’t transitioned well to the NFL either! Racism is the dumbest thing that has ever come up in society. It sure would be nice if everyone in the world could just see eachother as equals, and realize they are in no position to judge someone else.

I do think some of the things that are said aren’t racist until one person views it that way, and makes an issue out of it. If you said I hope Robert Griffin turns out to be the next Aaron Rodgers, could that be viewed as racist? Or the next Cam Newton? Or that you hope Cam Newton turns into the next Aaron Rodgers? Someone could turn that into a racist comment, i’m sure of that. But what they don’t understand is, maybe someone wants Cam to be like Aaron because this season Rodgers has an unreal passer rating, hardly any int’s.. Well, it’s not a racist statement, because they are of two different colors. It’s a statement because Cam has all of the physical attributes to be as good or better than Rodgers at some point in his career. It is just flat out sad that it’s 3 days away from 2012 and race is still an issue to some people. When in the world will people wake up and realize, race, color, creed, religion… It doesn’t matter, we all have the same blood. We all have our own personality, and we all have a heart. Therefore we are the SAME! Nobody is better than anyone.

83. JSpicoli says: Dec 29, 2011 3:18 AM

“. This happens all the time in sports, not just football, and it’s the laziest kind of evaluation to make because it ignores the things that make each player unique”

Gee, pot meet kettle. 90% of sports writing reveals bias and preconceived ideas, Including this site

84. hedleykow says: Dec 29, 2011 3:24 AM

Point spreads have a way of neutralizing racism. $$$ only know the color green.

85. 1historian says: Dec 29, 2011 7:26 AM

JaMarcus Russell was the dumbest pick in the history of the NFL Draft – many people (including moi) said that on the day of the draft. Of all the dumb things
    Al Davis did during his tenure – and he had some whoppers – THAT was the whopperoo of all whopperoos.

Chris Young might still turn out. If he gets his act together he could still be a good – not great – NFL quarterback.

The jury is out on Cam Newton. He has said and done all the right things and in his rookie year he put up some very impressive stats. I hope he’s a big success.

OMT – Al Davis

86. 1historian says: Dec 29, 2011 7:27 AM

OMT – Al Davis didn’t win 3 SB titles being dumb – he made some very good moves in his time.

But drafting Russell was NOT one of them.

87. trucker2020 says: Dec 29, 2011 7:44 AM

Tom Brady has me spoiled & is one of the top QB’s of all time.Nevertheless, if I had to start a team today the first player I’d pick is Cam Newton.Mostly because he’s 10 years younger than Brady, but when all is said & done I think Cam Newton will surpass Brady as an all time great.Maybe even #1!

88. texline1 says: Dec 29, 2011 7:48 AM

So his critique of other qbs IS race based. I noticed that he only mentioned black qbs. Why not use Ryan Leaf as an example instead of Russell? he was surely a bigger bust. Do you think Griffin would rather be “the next Cam Newton”, or the next Aaron Rogers, or the next Drew Brees? He is not comparing qbs. He is comparing BLACK qbs, therefore bringing race into an equation that he says is not about race.

89. bills4life says: Dec 29, 2011 3:18 PM

no man has been criticized more than Tebow, imagine if he was black. its not a race thing its called criticizing thats what sports writers do best. and by the way why wasn’t racist for Toby gerhart being white rb. not many of them around these days and why