Munchak makes it clear: “No interest” in Penn State job

Tennessee Titans v Carolina Panthers Getty Images

Penn State may have Titans coach Mike Munchak atop their wish list, but that doesn’t mean the interest is mutual.

“I love my alma mater, but I have no interest in being the head coach at Penn St,” Munchak said Wednesday via Jim Wyatt of the Tennesesean. “I never want to leave Tennessee.”

That should end the speculation. Munchak said he hasn’t spoken to anyone at the school.

“It is not like I’m saying I want nothing to do with Penn State. My point is I have no interest in being the head coach there,” Munchak said. “Hopefully this will be the end of all the speculation. Most of it never comes true anyway.”

Munchak put in 14 hard years as an NFL assistant, all with the Titans, to get to this position. He’s done a nice job with an overachieving Titans team this year.

It would have made no sense for Munchak to go back to his alma matter and clean up the mess there.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
28 Responses to “Munchak makes it clear: “No interest” in Penn State job”
  1. DubZ480 says: Dec 28, 2011 11:48 AM

No shock here… even if it is his Alma Matter

2. tombradyswig says: Dec 28, 2011 11:55 AM

smart man!
    penn st will be a mess for yrs to come.
    They should castrate or decapitate Sundusky right now to get things moving in the correct direction!

3. Raider-in-PA says: Dec 28, 2011 11:56 AM

Oh boy, that will make the already UN-Happy Valley even more UNHAPPIER!! Cant blame him if he didnt want to step in the middle of such a HUGE mess!!

4. vegaspopinjay says: Dec 28, 2011 11:57 AM

Plus, who wants to walk into a job knowing the program is going to take a big hit from the NCAA.

5. castleofcheese says: Dec 28, 2011 12:03 PM

Smart move on his part.

One the other hand, I’ll be sad to see Clements leave the Packers if he really is Penn St.’s second choice.

6. medtxpack says: Dec 28, 2011 12:06 PM

if i had a NFL head coaching job, i wouldnt take a college job over it, even if it was my alma mater.

7. bigjdve says: Dec 28, 2011 12:15 PM

I don’t think that they are going to take a hit from the NCAA as they haven’t broken any rules for the NCAA, go figure right.

However I can understand him not wanting to come back there after all of the work to get a NFL head coaching gig. 14 years and to finally get your opportunity, then just dump it?

I think he wants to stay in TN, where he played as a player and coached as a coach, that is a more important loyalty I would think.

8. vegaskid21 says: Dec 28, 2011 12:17 PM

You know who should be the next coach of Penn State…………. NO ONE!!

9. tatum064 says: Dec 28, 2011 12:24 PM

What the hell else could he say?! He realizes…..sanctions and suits and God knows what else is heading to Penn St.

10. clivus63 says: Dec 28, 2011 12:25 PM

Penn State right now, looking for someone to pick up the pieces reminds me of Berlin in 1946.

11. thom4msu says: Dec 28, 2011 12:34 PM

The slapping sounds would haunt him.

12. babar61 says: Dec 28, 2011 12:42 PM

I don’t understand why any current coach/coordinator at the NCAA or NFL level that has a solid career would take this job.

13. NakedCowboy! says: Dec 28, 2011 12:47 PM

even eric manigini said no to that one…

14. crindal3000 says: Dec 28, 2011 1:02 PM

Penn st fans are truly in denial if they think this “scandal” will go away and won’t effect their football program & University for years to come.

It’s not just the crime of 1evil predator it’s the cover up and/or turning the other cheek that’s going to haunt this program for a long long time. Coaches & players will be reluctant to choose Penn st. in all sports. I would wager that even enrollment will be hurt.

15. khuxford says: Dec 28, 2011 1:07 PM

I was hoping he’d be irrationally interested in it, just so the Titans might slip up this weekend. Oh well…

16. mvp43 says: Dec 28, 2011 1:12 PM

PSU is not a top destination for anyone but a desperate coach.

17. titanprime says: Dec 28, 2011 1:17 PM

I really doubt this guy will pull a Bobby Petrino

18. fissels says: Dec 28, 2011 1:28 PM

Lots of people are really enjoying watching Penn State go through these terrible times. I think a guy with some intestinal fortitude can bring the program back. It will take time but its a great opportunity for someone. There are still a great many players who want to play there, regardless of the scandal.

19. no1jag says: Dec 28, 2011 1:34 PM

@mvp43 so you’re saying Rick Neuheisel is set to become their next coach? Penn State is going to go through what would amount to the death penalty it will never be the same.

20. Nikhil Balakumar says: Dec 28, 2011 1:34 PM

tennessee is underachieving, there have been plenty of coaching mistakes is recent weeks

21. derekjetersmansion says: Dec 28, 2011 1:42 PM

@ bigjdve

The NCAA can say there was a “lack of institutional control”, probably more than USC.

22. kevpft says: Dec 28, 2011 1:43 PM

This makes me like Munchak more. How often does anyone in a public position, let alone coaches, speak in definitive terms anymore? Most coaches would say something like, “it’s just unfounded speculation,” without really revealing anything. This guy says straight up that he “has no interest”.

Of course, that doesn’t mean he couldn’t “develop” interest. There’s always wiggle room, these days especially. But kudos to him for not muddying the waters for his team, which is his real responsibility right now.

23. realitypolice says: Dec 28, 2011 2:01 PM

derekjetersmansion says:
    Dec 28, 2011 1:42 PM
    @ bigjdve

========================

“Lack of Institutional Control” is not some blanket charge that can used to cover anything the NCAA wants it to.

I only applies to what parts of a program the NCAA controls- recruitment, benefits and academic progress of student athletes.

I would be extremely surprised if they get NCAA penalties.

However, I still wouldn’t touch this job with a ten foot pole if I were a coach that had other options.

24. droopyyydog1 says: Dec 28, 2011 2:32 PM

I have no interest in the Alabama coaching job…

25. droopyyydog1 says: Dec 28, 2011 2:33 PM

In the immortal words of Nick Saban “I have no interest in the Alabama coaching job”…

26. opus74 says: Dec 28, 2011 4:12 PM

The difference is that Saban is a weasel whereas Munch is an honest man until proven otherwise.

27. youngry says: Dec 28, 2011 5:13 PM

The NCAA will definitely come down on Penn State. People within the NCAA have made statements referring to morality within their bylaws. Turning a blind eye to child abuse is certainly immoral.

Admittedly, it’s a gray area but they will do something because they have to, its by far the biggest scandal in college football history.

28. youngry says: Dec 28, 2011 5:18 PM

@realitypolice

not true, the NCAA law says “not limited to” – meaning theres plenty of room for interpretation.

plenty of places to read about how they can definitely face sanction by the NCAA