Panthers linebacker has four guns stolen from truck

Getty Images

Panthers linebacker Kion Wilson has played in four games this year.  He claims that, on Monday, the same number of guns were stolen from his truck.

According to Steve Reed of the Associated Press, police are investigating a contention by Wilson that thieves broke into his F250 truck and stole an FN 57 handgun, a Mossberg 12-gauge shotgun, a Glock 23, and a Smith and Wesson Body Guard 380.

Panthers G.M. Marty Hurney told Reed that the team confirmed the guns were registered to Wilson to travel purposes.  Hurney said Wilson, who wasn’t made available to the media on Wednesday, was driving to a shooting range, but that he stopped at a local Best Buy on the way.

44 responses to “Panthers linebacker has four guns stolen from truck

1. Best Buy. Known nation-wide as the place to find a cache of weaponry in the parking lot, day or night. Luckily he had a tarp over his bazooka, throwing stars and grenade launcher, so he’s got that going for him.

2. Too bad for Wilson – sounds like he was just transporting properly-licensed guns to go to a shooting range when a criminal broke into his truck.

The number “four” is also applicable to Joe Buck’s failed HBO show, when Artie Lange correctly predicted “Number four, the show you won’t get to”.

3. NC law requires guns to be displayed in the open or you have to carry a concealed weapon permit. Sounds like he was following all the rules by leaving the weapons unconcealed, and thus, someone saw them in his car and stole them. He reported it. Police wrote a report. Why does the media try to demonize everything?

4. bunjy96 says:
    Dec 28, 2011 5:40 PM
    Why does anyone need 4 guns for protection?
    ______________

Ask the Chinese people that lost their lives at tiananmen square or the people in lybia or Egypt if you can have too many guns. One day something will happen that the police cant/arent able to protect you from… You might need to protect yourself.

5. He must drive around scared …four guns. What is it with the guns? Just asking for trouble and he found it. Now where are the guns and how will they be used?

6. He had guns. Like 200 million of us Americans. He followed the law. He just had things go bad for him. Nothing illegal. Nothing wrong.

Unlike me, and the guns I had stolen a few months ago, I think he can afford to replace them.

And what is the deal with NFL players and the FN 5.7? Garbage.

7. stubbyjones says:
    Dec 28, 2011 5:08 PM
    Man no wonder the US is messed up…love guns too much…

Right, because the disaster that is the current state of this country has nothing to do with the fact that it’s been fighting two wars, has a political/bureaucratic class that ceaselessly curtains its citizens’ economic and personal freedoms and is in massive debt to a burgeoning military and economic superpower in China.

You’re absolutely correct – this country is screwed up because a Panthers’ backup linebacker had his legally obtained firearms stolen.

/sarcasm

8. “Travel Purposes” as in he could have them in the car morons. Not every state is like New York where they think it goes 1st amendment, 3rd amendment.

9. There are two ways to own guns: The right way which it appears he did i.e. licensed, responsibly reporting their theft…and then there’s the Plaxico way…Toss it down your shorts and take out a leg.

10. AND?!

I’m waiting to find out where the story is in this or why it is “news worthy”.

So tired of all the mamby pamby media types making it out to be like anyone who owns or posesses a gun is a criminal or guilty of wrong doing!

Newsflash there hero, where I’m from people you are next to in the store are carrying. Gasp! Why don’t you post here on the forum every time an player has his stereo stolen from his car, or his laptop, or Ipad?

Take your liberal bias and leave law abiding citizens exercising their constitutional rights alone .

11. I am all for owning guns and operating them safely. Why does someone carry four firearms? I own at least 30 firearms but have never needed to carry more than two and more often than not one. Christ learn how to shoot. You shouldn’t need more than one bullet per target. Is this guy in the matrix or something?

12. First of all this article came across to me the way that it was written, as if you question this story or something? Secondly, for those of you fools in the comments that are “anti-gun” you need to realize something, the 2nd amendment was NOT put into play to protect your right to hunt, morons. Back then how do you think they ate? It was implemented for the same reason the right to protest and form militias were put in…to keep your government at bay and “honest”. Why do you think they want ’em so bad?

13. This sounded awful when you first read the headline–four guns!? But if he was going to a shooting range that makes perfect sense. And remember, in most states if you don’t have a conceal permit you CAN’T hide the guns…they have to be in plain view or its a crime.

If anything, I hit the Best Buy before I load up my guns for the range. I live in Idaho, and the above laws apply. When I go to the range I have to keep my guns on the seat (front or back) in plain view. I do not stop anywhere for that reason…

14. @childressrlz- the story does say that he was on his way to a shooting range. Nothing wrong with taking a number of guns to test them out.

15. Four guns? That’s it? Hey, that’s two less than most NBA players. The fact that he didn’t have pound of weed puts him in the upper 25 percentile. Nothing to see here.

16. This would have been a great storyline for a few episodes of “Playmakers”, but the NFL said it did not depict the league and its players accurately…..yeah, the show was too tame!

17. ANYONE Who thinks he is in the wrong is Ignorant
    melikefootball says:
    Dec 28, 2011 6:19 PM
    He was going to a practice range dummy It is funny where I live there is very little crime most people hunt and criminals don’t want to mess with people that can defend themselves

Anyone out there that has been in physical danger either wishes they had a gun or had a gun and protected themselves.

Police are a reactive force they have to be called and then have to get there.
    Guns are the great equalizer and the smallest of women can defend themselves and their families against the largest most drugged out assailant if they know how to use the weapon properly.

If you lived next to me and bitched about me having guns for protection I would place a large sign in my front yard saying:
    I believe in the 2nd Amendment My neighbor doesn’t. That is why I will abide by his wishes and never use one of my weapons to protect him or his family.
    I bet you would beg me to do so if the problem arose but you don’t want me to have the ability to defend myself so you can take the proverbial flying one at a donut

18. bunjy96 says: Dec 28, 2011 5:40 PM

Why does anyone need 4 guns for protection?
    ————————————————–

He didn’t say he carried all four in his truck for protection, and in any case it’s none of your damn business.

19. euroamericans says:Dec 28, 2011 5:48 PM

————————————————–
    So you are saying he had to leave the guns out in the open when he went into Best Buy? No wonder NC is F’in backwards. Ridiculous gun law, way to go NC and any state with a similar law!
    At least I know now we will have a few more illegal weapons on the streets of NJ or NY!!

20. kathleenturnersoverdrive says:Dec 28, 2011 6:00 PM

bunjy96 says:
    Dec 28, 2011 5:40 PM
    Why does anyone need 4 guns for protection?
    ______________

——————————————————–
    Why don’t you ask the widows and children of all the Police officers that have been shot to death! I am sure they would love your arguement. Dude if someone pulls a gun on you and you go for yours, you will be dead before your hand reaches the holster!!

21. I don’t have any problem with people having guns in their home but there really isn’t a need to carry a concealed weapon. The fact that NC has a law that says the weapon must be visible when transporting is simply ridiculous. If you are transporting the guns to a range, then they should be locked in a case, separate from the bullets in the trunk of the car or under the front seat of the truck if there isn’t a trunk. If you get pulled over and you have valid gun licenses, you show the cop and let him know they are in the trunk and there won’t be an issue(at least that is the way it is in NJ).

22. jerseyshoregiant says: Dec 28, 2011 10:42 PM
    ——————————————————–
    ——
    How about the innocent people that have been shot and killed by police? Do they not exist too? Maybe try thinking first and learn to punctuate before you make outrageous statements.

23. jerseyshoregiant says:
    Dec 28, 2011 10:42 PM
    kathleenturnersoverdrive says:Dec 28, 2011 6:00 PM

bunjy96 says:
    Dec 28, 2011 5:40 PM
    Why does anyone need 4 guns for protection?
    ______________

——————————————————–

———————

what does my statement have to do with police officers that have been shot to death. try some reading comprehension on for size. Criminals shoot cops. not honest citizens and football players. As for your comment. I will take my chances with MY weapon.

24. jerseyshoregiant says:
    Dec 28, 2011 10:42 PM
    kathleenturnersoverdrive says:Dec 28, 2011 6:00 PM

bunjy96 says:
    Dec 28, 2011 5:40 PM
    Why does anyone need 4 guns for protection?
    ______________

——————————————————–

——-

Also, if you Jersey Shore folks had any since you would shoot snooki, ronnie, sammie, and the rest of those retards to keep them from reproducing.

25. To all of you that are bitching about him having four guns I have to ask, why are you allowed to express your opinion even though it’s clearly unpopular?

26. He said he was on his way to a shooting range, and if you have several rifles/pistols/shotguns, whatever, one likes to shoot them when one can – as it costs money each time you go to a shooting range.

Also – where I grew up in Oregon – people hunted for food – deer, ducks, geese, pheasant, rabbit, whatnot – and just about everyone understood that. Now that we are much more an urban culture – and the use of Saturday Night Specials has been a real problem – some of ye are anti-gun. Shame.