Reggie Bush says he’s capable of winning the rushing title

Miami Dolphins v New England Patriots Getty Images

During five years in New Orleans, running back Reggie Bush never rushed for more than 581 yards.  With one game to go during his first season with the Dolphins, Bush has 1,086 yards.

So what’s next?

“I feel like there’s so much more,” Bush told Jeff Darlington of NFL.com.  “This is just the tip of the iceberg.”

Does the iceberg include leading the league in rushing?

“Yes, I do,” Bush said.  “No disrespect to anyone, but I’ve spent a lot of time studying different players, including Chris Johnson.  I’ve watched a ton of his runs, especially during his 2,000-yard season.  And yeah, I feel like I’m capable of a lot, but I’m not worrying about that yet.  My mental focus is entirely on this next game.  If I wasn’t, my priorities would be backward, and I wouldn’t be setting myself up to accomplish any of this.”

The biggest challenge facing Bush in the short term is that the next coach of the Dolphins may not envision him in the same every-down role that he has filled in 2011.  The next coach could implement a multi-headed approach at tailback, putting Bush in the same situation he occupied during his time with the Saints.

Bush is signed through 2012, and he’s due to earn a base salary of $4.5 million next season.  Whether he plays next season in Miami will depend in large part on the name of the man whom the Dolphins hire to coach the team.

If Bush stays and if Dolphins continue to use him extensively, there’s no reason to think he won’t have another big year.  Thus, the silver lining in his second-tier role with the Saints is that his career could be extended due to the fact that he hasn’t absorbed the same pounding that an every-down back would take.

Permalink 54 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
54 Responses to “Reggie Bush says he’s capable of winning the rushing title”
  1. wawa33 says: Dec 29, 2011 3:04 PM

So?

2. jjpetes says: Dec 29, 2011 3:06 PM

He better get moving, or pretty soon he’ll be old and past his prime.

3. phrancheyez says: Dec 29, 2011 3:07 PM

This guy has NO chance of ever leading the league in rushing.

He’s a good running back, but he’s a role player. The Dolphins can ‘pretend’ he’s an every down back, but it’s purely a stroke of luck he wasn’t injured this year. He doesn’t have the body type to sustain being an every down back for the length of a career.

That said, he can be extremely productive for whoever he plays. But leading the league in rushing is a pipe dream.

4. rr2000k says: Dec 29, 2011 3:08 PM

Do you have Concussion Like Symptoms Reggie?

5. bison4me says: Dec 29, 2011 3:11 PM

Reggie, I don’t know Chris Johnson, but you’re no Chris Johnson.

6. vikesfan320 says: Dec 29, 2011 3:12 PM

I’m as big of a Reggie Bush fan as there is – I was really hoping he’d morph into the next Barry Sanders type running back at the NFL level. But in the words of Lee Corso – not so fast my friend.

Bush didn’t run for 100 yards in a game until Week 7. Heading into the Oakland game 4 weeks ago, Bush had run for 567 yards though 11 games (which was also his first 20 carry game). I don’t think it’s impossible for Bush to win the rushing title, especially with the revolving door of backs we’re seeing these days – all it takes is one good season when things fall your way. But let’s see this on a more consistent basis before we get too far ahead of ourselves.

But I will say this – Reggie Bush does have more 1000 yard rushing seasons than Mario Williams, so it turns out that the Texans really did blow that pick! (Kidding, kidding)

7. supremeomega says: Dec 29, 2011 3:13 PM

Maybe if he wasn’t so busy dating celebs and making commercials he would have already accomplished the task of leading the NFL in rushing. No one questions his talent…perhaps being forced into purgatory in MIA provided a needed dose of humility…

8. rc33 says: Dec 29, 2011 3:13 PM

Run for 200+ against the New York Schleps and their zeppelin-like Head Coach this weekend, Reg.

9. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Dec 29, 2011 3:13 PM

“he hasn’t absorbed the same pounding that an every-down back would take.”

You left out…while getting paid like an every-down back.

10. ivegotbigblogs says: Dec 29, 2011 3:17 PM

From being the brunt of every trade-for-a-pizza joke, Reggie has really turned it around. He’s a heck of a talent, but say he could contend for the rushing title might be a little premature.

11. fittytuckin says: Dec 29, 2011 3:19 PM

No he’s not. Took him too long to get to this point and a 200 pounder cannot withstand the pounding and attrition of a 16 game season year after year.He will get injured. Its just nature.

12. 305phinphan says: Dec 29, 2011 3:21 PM

Just like majority of people said when Miami traded for him “That was stupid, he is not an every down running back, he can’t even run in between the tackles”

Well I think Bush proved a lot of people wrong with the performance he put on this season. I think if Bush continues to improve he is very capable of wining the rushing title as soon as next year.

Bush is and has always been a class act and I’m glad he is part of the Dolphins franchise and hopefully they give him an opportunity to continue to be that lead back no matter which coach is leading this team in 2012.

13. dexterismyhero says: Dec 29, 2011 3:21 PM

aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh no you won’t….

14. ilovefoolsball says: Dec 29, 2011 3:23 PM

You know how some players have “snake bit” years where they can’t seem to stay healthy and it’s different than the norm, Reggie has had the opposite of this. I just can’t see this guy staying this healthy again for a full year.

Good year for Reggie, but the one back system has proven to be a failure. Look at the last 5 superbowl winners, would you say that any of them employed a bell cow type running back? No.

15. quadassio says: Dec 29, 2011 3:23 PM

The only reason he broke a 1,000 yards is because the Fins are playing Moore. I want to see him drop 100 yards against a great run defense. There are 17 players on pace to break 1,000 yards for the season. That’s not so special anymore.

16. ottomanismydog says: Dec 29, 2011 3:24 PM

It’s nice to see that he is improving. But a rushing title… i think not. we’ll see how his body responds to his heaviest work load and how he is received by the new coaching staff.

17. waitingguilty says: Dec 29, 2011 3:27 PM

Look at his production once the Dolphins got a semblance of a passing game and he took over as the FT back.

Now go look at the leading yardage backs in the league this year.

Based on the above- even if a new coach gives some carries to another back he’d still have a great chance at the rushing title if he stays healthy.

18. nflfan877 says: Dec 29, 2011 3:28 PM

LOL

19. wsnydes says: Dec 29, 2011 3:29 PM

I guess that the joke’s on him then…

20. bristerfan says: Dec 29, 2011 3:39 PM

@phrancheyez

Body type is one thing, skill level is another. To say Bush doesn’t have the body type to stay healthy all year long as an every down back isn’t correct. Barry Sanders was 5’8″ and about a 190. Chris Johnson is 5’11” and also around 190. Reggie is 6′ and right around 200lbs. If you don’t think Reggie is a good enough to lead the league in rushing, that’s fine. But the idea that his body type isn’t correct for being able to stay healthy all year is wrong.

21. thetechnocrat says: Dec 29, 2011 3:43 PM

Nice season, but outshine your replacement before making this type of comment.

Bush has 1434 total yards including catches and punt returns.
    Sproles has 2528 total yards including catches and kickoff/punt returns.

Must be tough to have your best season by far and still not stack up to your replacement. Hell, take away kickoff returns (which Bush doesn’t do) and Sproles still beats him with 1493 yards.

22. bullcharger says: Dec 29, 2011 3:45 PM

I can’t stand when a reporter asks a player a leading question and then the headline is like the player just came out and blurted it out. What is Bush supposed to say. “No I could never win the rushing title”. You can’t blame the guy for believing in himself.

23. cardiovascularendurance says: Dec 29, 2011 3:49 PM

Before anyone starts talking rushing titles, they should at least have to rush for more yards in a season than Ryan Matthews.

24. sonic8us says: Dec 29, 2011 3:53 PM

Miami probably has a top 10 offensive line, so I think it’s very possible in a given year. However, if Jake Long isn’t healthy, he has no chance.

25. 808raiderinparadise says: Dec 29, 2011 3:54 PM

Looks like somebody had Tim Tebow’s book as a stocking-stuffer for x-mas.

26. bleed4philly says: Dec 29, 2011 4:17 PM

Late bloomer

27. EJ says: Dec 29, 2011 4:24 PM

The Saints were idiots to not place the ball in Bush’s hands every chance they got, he is a true playmaker.

28. ia517 says: Dec 29, 2011 4:24 PM

Why does everyone say a 200lber cant lead the league in rushing? Didnt CJ do it a couple of years ago? Isnt 205lb Lesean McCoy #2 in rushing this year? Plus, the guy is pretty well put together for a 200lber (i actually thought he was bigger than that) and is one of the fastest players in the league. I dont see any reason he couldnt he one of the top rushers next, if not #1, especially behind that OLine

29. prmpft says: Dec 29, 2011 4:25 PM

…whoa – slow your roll there fella – BABY STEPS -let’s just stay on the field for more than one season first…

30. ia517 says: Dec 29, 2011 4:31 PM

cardiovascularendurance says:
    Dec 29, 2011 3:49 PM

——————–

Is that meant to be an insult? Ryan Mathews is one of the best young RBs in the league, He is in the top 8 in both rushing yards and total YFS, and did that with having to share carries and playing for a team that was always losing and passed on average almost 40 times a game.

31. thenightmancometh says: Dec 29, 2011 4:32 PM

You seem to have omitted the part after where he said “as long as no other running back rushes over 900 yards”

32. DubZ480 says: Dec 29, 2011 4:46 PM

Typical Reggie. We heard all this early on in New Orleans and look how that ended.

Reggie is having a good season. But let’s see at least back to back strong season before we start talking about rushing titles.

33. aharris230 says: Dec 29, 2011 4:48 PM

——————————————————–
    My thoughts exactly. I’m glad someone realized this rather than make some douchey remark.

34. cuda1234 says: Dec 29, 2011 4:53 PM

1.000 yards might have meant something in a 10- or 12-game schedule but 16? By my math 1,000/16 = 65 and I’m not all that impressed with a back who runs for 65 yards. Sadly this is an accomplishment for Reggie.

35. squared80 says: Dec 29, 2011 5:07 PM

The Kardashians must have really screwed up his head.

36. quadya says: Dec 29, 2011 5:10 PM

Where are all the Reggie haters now…?

They guy works too hard and has too much talent to not do well.

37. thagratest says: Dec 29, 2011 5:24 PM

Interesting comments..
    Bottom Line: Bush didnt get a oppty to run the ball in NO, they have a “complex” offensive scheme, Pass happy. NO Running back will be featured there. You cant compare Sproles and Bush in the context Bush came out with much more fanfare-thus expectations where higher. Bush Avg. get this a whopping 4.2 carries a game for his ENTIRE career with NO. So who becomes successful with those numbers?? NO ONE. You cats are soo ignorant. Give a running back an oppty to run the football, especially with his talent, you will see results. NO misused and mishandled one of the most explosive running backs to come out, blame that shh on Payton and Mickey Loomis…and please stop the insane rhetoric and recycled statement that Bush cant be a every down back, please I’m starting to believe none of you posess a real football knowledge and all you read is tabloids..and in regards to Bush believing he can have a rushing title, its called CONFIDENCE, some of you may not know what that means.

38. njsteeler says: Dec 29, 2011 5:45 PM

Does he have talent? Yes. That’s a no brainer. We all saw what he did at USC. Do I think he should have been the number 1 overall pick? NO! I thought that Houston did the right thing. Now with that said, it’s funny how getting a chance can change things. Of course he can win a rushing title. It’s about health, offensive line play and opportunity. Since when did Reggie lose his ability? He’s done it at every level. I’m not saying that guarantees success at this level, but in my opinion he could win a rushing title if given the carries.

39. sirbyron says: Dec 29, 2011 6:18 PM

I wanna see Miami use Reggie just like they did this year but even more next season. He can get 2,000 yards all purpose FoSho

40. scra22 says: Dec 29, 2011 6:19 PM

EJ says:
    Dec 29, 2011 4:24 PM
    ====

Yeah, those morons have only had the #1 offense 4 out of the last 6 years, they obviously have no idea what they’re doing.

41. gregm5s7 says: Dec 29, 2011 6:34 PM

Will Bush ever be the leading rusher in the NFL? Probably not.

Has he proven a lot of people wrong this year? Yes.

A lot of good players wouldn’t have the same production on different teams because of personnel, scheme, etc. Sounds like Miami likes Reggie and Reggie like Miami.

He did have 700+ yards running/receiving in 09′ …

42. sixburghrules says: Dec 29, 2011 6:41 PM

I was VERY skeptical when Miami brought him in. I thought he would be the same old R. Bush but it goes to show that in one system a player may flounder but in another they flourish! I am thankful my Steelers recognize the type of talent that will fit with their system!

Guys like Bush get stuck for their first contract that doesn’t work for them. Makes them look bad & I will admit I was one who thought he was a total bust!

43. sixburghrules says: Dec 29, 2011 6:45 PM

thenightmancometh says: Dec 29, 2011 4:32 PM

___________________________

Bush has 1,086 yards.

Dumba**

44. randomguy9999 says: Dec 29, 2011 6:46 PM

remember at the beginning of the season when everyone was saying Huh? at Sparano about this…. I was too and Reggie made me wrong.

the surprising thing about Bush this year was that he appeared to run it much harder in the center and overall looked like he picked up some weight / impact….

He doesn’t exactly look like he likes heavy contact like Ricky did, but he did step it up dramatically in the traditional RB role… and most importantly he stayed in it all year in spite of a couple of injury scares early in the season….

if he steps it up another notch like that next season, I can see him easily in the top 5….

45. packersownerandshareholder says: Dec 29, 2011 6:53 PM

Like this comment if you think Reggie can win the rushing title. Dislike this comment if you think he can’t.

46. metcalfer says: Dec 29, 2011 7:00 PM

Reggie Bush’s last four games he’s has 83 carriers for 519 yards. 6.25 yards per carry. Had to learn a new offense. With those numbers he would be on pace for a 2,000 yard season. Drew-Jones leads the NFL in rushing with 1436. I one thinking he can do it.

47. phillyphinsfan says: Dec 29, 2011 7:23 PM

I hated the signing of Bush as an everydown back, and through the first seven games I thought I was right like most of the critics on PFT who agreed with me. I guess we were wrong.

48. spfripp says: Dec 29, 2011 7:41 PM

Who says Reggie is not willing to share time with another back? Everyone forgets at the beginning of the season he was sharing carries with Thomas. In fact there were a few games where Thomas was the starter. Bush seem ok with it back then. I think all Bush wanted was a bigger role and the opportunity to show that he is not just a 3rd down RB.

I could see how people say he could never lead the league but hey he has also proven a lot of people wrong in saying he is not capable of being a every down back as well. He also got a good chunk of his yards for the season after the 0-7 start. So what is to say he can’t do it if he starts next year like he is ending this year?

49. radzyfsu23 says: Dec 29, 2011 7:47 PM

5.0 yards per carry. I’d say he’s an every down back

50. mfpepin says: Dec 29, 2011 7:54 PM

Haters.

51. dolphins4 says: Dec 29, 2011 8:49 PM

Reggie is alot better than the China doll they drafted in the second round last year.

52. 303bengalguy says: Dec 30, 2011 1:05 AM

Regardless, the dude beasted the last 6 or so weeks and led my team to a championship in a 12 team paid league (along with Beast Mode). Thank you for your efforts Reggie! You’re worth more than that medium with extra sardines I wanted to trade you for after about week 5… probably not 2k yards but still worth somethin!

53. kbv510 says: Dec 30, 2011 10:54 AM

thetechnocrat says: Dec 29, 2011 3:43 PM

Nice season, but outshine your replacement before making this type of comment.

Bush has 1434 total yards including catches and punt returns.
    Sproles has 2528 total yards including catches and kickoff/punt returns.

—————————————————-

LOL now lets compare the QB’s of both these teams. On one side we have Drew Brees who just broke the passing record and on the other side we have mediocre passing offense of the dolphins. base stats arent everything when you don’t have a full context.

54. 20bust11 says: Jan 1, 2012 9:12 AM

EJ says:
    Dec 29, 2011 4:24 PM

The Saints tried to put the ball in Reggie’s hands, and had special plays for him to make; Reggie just wasn’t up to the challenge. He dropped passes constantly, so he was limited to running with the ball, and was constantly stopped in the backfield when handed the ball. Reggie Bust has had a good season with Miami, but not a great season, and bear in mind, this was the best season of his career.
    The Saints don’t have to change their game plan to include Reggie now, and they are a better team for it. Reggie would consistently take a ten count, in the backfield, when any defender cast a shadow over his shoelaces.
    He “earned” (LOL) 8 million dollars in his last season with the Saints, only played 8 games, and have a season rushing total of 150 yards, less than what Peterson gains in one game.
    I’m happy that Reggie is doing well in Miami, but happier that he isn’t on the Saint’s roster.
    I’d take Ingram, Thomas, Ivory, and without a doubt, Sproles, over ten Reggies, because my game plan wouldn’t be ruined by a guy who gets injured, by, injuring himself, and can’t be counted on when needed.
    Reggie was, and is a bust, by NFL standards.
    That’s all.