Romo practices Thursday with his hand wrapped

Cowboys quarterback Romo talks with quarterback McGee during a timeout against the Eagles in Arlington, Texas Reuters

On Saturday, Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo banged his throwing hand into the helmet of Eagles defensive end Jason Babin.  The hand ballooned, but all indications were/are that he’ll be able to play on Sunday night against the Giants.

Romo practiced Wednesday with no wrap or other devices on his hand.  On Thursday, however, the hand was wrapped, according to Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com.

Romo officially was limited in practice Wednesday, yielding to Stephen McGee for some of the reps with the first-team offense.  Per Archer, coach Jason Garrett said Wednesday that Romo’s hand was still swollen but “fairly functional.”

Romo widely is expected to play in Sunday night’s playoff play-in game.  If he doesn’t, the Cowboys will have to rely on McGee and Chris Greisen, who’s currently on the team’s practice squad.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Romo practices Thursday with his hand wrapped”
  1. salvaje50 says: Dec 29, 2011 4:02 PM

thinking of Romo makes me fart

2. gojags says: Dec 29, 2011 4:07 PM

Whether Romo plays or not Cowboys are going to loose. They can’t handle the pass rush of the NYG.

The only question is whats the margin of loss.

3. boisestatewhodat says: Dec 29, 2011 4:08 PM

Awe, that’s cute!

4. chocolatebaconbutter says: Dec 29, 2011 4:13 PM

Full disclosure. I’m a Giants fan.

I hope Tony Romo is the starting quarterback of the Cowboys forever. Cause that guy is just horrible. This guy comes up HUGE in say week 8 against the likes of Tampa, or any other mediocre team in a meaningless game. But get him in a crucial situation and he just sucks. I see that guy walk out in any NFC East game and I just smile. Stay there forever Tony.

5. James Myers says: Dec 29, 2011 4:13 PM

Over / Under on picks set at 3.5. Thumbs up for the over, down for under.

6. paleandpasty says: Dec 29, 2011 4:19 PM

I can’t wait to see see the expression on Jerry Jone’s face when the Cowboys lose. Oh wait, I forgot Jerry’s face lost the power of expression several surgeries ago.

7. tommythek says: Dec 29, 2011 4:27 PM

Romo’s clenched fingers banged into Babin’s helmet. The only way that the back of Romo’s hand could have swollen up so quickly(without a direct blow to the back of his hand) is if one of his metatarsals was fractured during the blow. Romo will try to play thru the pain but the swelling will return, gripping the ball will be an issue, and his December follies will continue. Sorry Dallas.

8. CowboyErik says: Dec 29, 2011 4:27 PM

ROMO is a GOD and will PLAY!

9. austrianpanther says: Dec 29, 2011 4:33 PM

They took my post down!!! LOL!!! At least you can say “thank-you’!

10. melikefootball says: Dec 29, 2011 4:34 PM

I have never seen so much hype over a BRUISED hand. By all the sports coverage you would think he was having it cut off.

11. billsmafiapeezy says: Dec 29, 2011 4:35 PM

“Whether Romo plays or not Cowboys are going to loose.”

Foot loose? Loose clothes? What is going to be loose?

They might lose though.

12. austrianpanther says: Dec 29, 2011 4:37 PM

You are welcome, Mike!

13. austrianpanther says: Dec 29, 2011 4:49 PM

Hey billsmafiapeezy!! They are going to take down your post! They took mine down before.

It read like this:

Romo widely is expected to play in Sunday night’s playoff play-in game. If he doesn’t, the Giants will have to rely on McGee and Chris Greisen, who’s currently on the team’s practice squad.

14. foozeball says: Dec 29, 2011 4:53 PM

You guys aren’t that smart. It’s a what have you done for me lately league and since week 9 romo has thrown 18 Td’s and 2 int’s. He has 8 td’s and no int’s in December and since ’09 he has a 109 QB rating in December. So I’ll go ahead and take the under on 3.5 picks. It’s amazing that you guys even post on here considering you know nothing about romo’s statistics and yet decide to say ignorant things like he’ll throw a bunch of int’s. They lose because the defense can’t stop anybody. The cowgirls have given up double digit leads in the fourth quarter in 6 of 7 losses this year. By the way gojags, it’s spelled lose, not loose.

Sincerely,
    A die hard football fan who is fed up with the ignorance of other “fans”

Ps – Eli has thrown 7 more int’s and 3 less touchdowns than romp this year. Romo has the 4th highest qb rating and total qbr. And they played the bucs in week 15 in December, not week 8 chocolatebutterwhatever. And yes jerrah does have too much plastic surgery because he is filthy rich. Good joke, original, haven’t heard that before paleandpasty. You guys make me sick, I’m not even a cowturd fan, hate all you want but blame the right people, the d, and learn something. Ignorant ignorant ignorant. Go Pack

15. theyknowtheyknowtheyknow says: Dec 29, 2011 4:55 PM

Chocolate bacon butter…. Tony romo is 16-11 against the east..so more times than not you weren’t experiencing those feelings

16. cowboyhater says: Dec 29, 2011 4:56 PM

From my name you can tell I’m not a fan of the cowgirls, and I’m also tired of the Romo injury report. He seems to always get nicked up at the most critical time for his team, and then makes this miraculous comeback (see the broken rib, collapsed lung episode earlier in the year). My opinion is that he is full of s… and I hope to see his pansy a.. get mauled by the Giants D. Someone has to win this game….right?

17. phillyrick22 says: Dec 29, 2011 5:05 PM

this feels like smoke and mirrors to me… its also very difficult to get swept by 2 teams in the same division… i give the slight edge to dallas but ill go for ny since i cant go for them cowgirls…

18. avianflew says: Dec 29, 2011 5:06 PM

Romo is such a prissy drama queen. There’s enough wrap there to cast a leg, but he “needs” it for bumping his hand.

19. gcsuk says: Dec 29, 2011 5:06 PM

Well, I hope the Giants don’t take the game (and Romo) too lightly, like they are prone to do. It would not shock me if they figured they had this one in the bag (before kick off), and then got smoked in their final home game.

20. thetroofishere says: Dec 29, 2011 5:12 PM

It would be right to criticize Romo’s December swoon if this safe were to take place in December.

21. kevinfromphilly says: Dec 29, 2011 5:13 PM

“ROMO is a GOD and will PLAY!”

Uranus?

22. chocolatebaconbutter says: Dec 29, 2011 5:40 PM

Good for Romo! Built in excuse! Now when he throws 3 picks and they lose, he and the fans have something to blame it on.

23. worldwidebleater says: Dec 29, 2011 5:49 PM

Budweiser salutes you! Mr. Overhyped Swollen Hand Guy. A real American Hero.

24. nard100 says: Dec 29, 2011 5:56 PM

Romo’s hand is broken. Your hand doesn’t swell up like that unless it broken. You won’t hear about it until after they lose.

25. cowboyscanada says: Dec 29, 2011 5:58 PM

Hey gojags,,,if your going to cut up the cowboys, at least learn how to spell lose,,not “loose”…

26. solomon151 says: Dec 29, 2011 6:02 PM

Wow 13 responses and 12 of them was from haters. Lol

27. theseekeroffun says: Dec 29, 2011 6:13 PM

tommythek says: Dec 29, 2011 4:27 PM

You are incorrect. What you are referring to is a boxers fracture, and if he had a boxers fracture, he would not be playing. Then again, I am a hand surgeon, so I may be wrong.

28. cowboynation919 says: Dec 29, 2011 6:18 PM

chocolatebaconbutter says:Dec 29, 2011 4:13 PM

Full disclosure. I’m a Giants fan.

Dec 11,2011 vs Giants…321 yrds 4 td’s and a qb rating of 141. 3

Doesn’t seem bad at all, are the Giants medocore to?

Romo 2011…3,895 yrds 29 td’s 9 int 102.2 rating

People need to get over it, you hate Romo because he is the Cowboys qb and the media attention…But you can’t lie about his talent. Yea he makes bad throws once and awhile, guess what they all do INCLUDING ELI… I will take Romo anyday over most qb’s in the league

29. bamasleeper13 says: Dec 29, 2011 8:13 PM

@theseekeroffun
    Thank you! I’m an Anesthesiologist and you are right.i imagine he will play.

30. chrisexv6 says: Dec 29, 2011 8:57 PM

@cowboyhater:

A tie is just as good as a win for the Giants, so technically no one has to actually WIN the game :)

31. rnazriel says: Dec 29, 2011 9:09 PM

While I hate the cowboys I fully expect Romo will play as well. One thing you can’t take away from him is his toughness, dude will play through anything and yes he has great statistical numbers nearly every year but that has not translated well into meaningful January games.

And yes, I am a GIANTS fan and expect a close game with NYG winning by <7pts.

32. artvandelaya says: Dec 29, 2011 9:18 PM

Hey all you hand surgeons and anesthesiologists out there, the metatarsal are in your feet. You get that MD online?

33. prabhjotinnewdelhi says: Dec 29, 2011 9:18 PM

@tommythek and @bamasleeper13

a hand surgeon and anesthesiologist?
    you guys are both wrong. he didn’t say 4th or 5th metatarsal, so you can’t infer he was talking about a boxer’s fracture

also, i thought metatarsals were in the foot? is his foot injured or am i missing something here?

34. vincentbojackson says: Dec 29, 2011 9:42 PM

Roethlisberger’s broken thumb thinks Romo’s bruised hand needs to suck it up.

35. bamasleeper13 says: Dec 29, 2011 9:56 PM

LOL! Didn’t realize it said metatarsals, that is the feet. If he broke his METACARPALS , he couldn’t play.

36. rogerbrad says: Dec 29, 2011 11:51 PM

Hey austrianpanther. Welcome to my club.
    ————————————

This week I’ve had 7 posts nuked and I did a repeat of one 3 times and it got nuked each time. They can’t take a joke here.

Also, they don’t like comments with DUHHHH in them or using the name Teblow. Like I said, they can’t take a joke.