Tebow’s fumbles have been growing problem

Denver Broncos v Buffalo Bills Getty Images

The NFL made an official scoring change this week, turning one of Tim Tebow’s turnovers against the Bills from an interception to a fumble.

That left Tebow with three interceptions during the loss to Buffalo, and a total of 12 fumbles on the year. Only two NFL players — Matt Moore and Blaine Gabbert — have fumbled more than Tebow this season.

One of Tebow’s big strengths early in his run as a starter was how he prevented turnovers. But he has fumbled in five straight games, including six times in the last three weeks alone.

The Bills and Patriots did a good job making Tebow throw from the pocket. Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel said Kansas City will try the same approach.

Tebow can take a while to make decisions, which leads to him taking hits and fumbling the ball. His running style, of course, also leads to potential for turnovers.

“You can’t have 60 [good plays] and five bad ones,” Tebow said this week via the Denver Post. “Or at least your bad ones can’t have big mistakes on them.”

The Broncos offense isn’t suddenly going to become a high flying attack. They are going to rely on their running game and defense to carry them into the fourth quarter, where Tebow can work his magic.

It’s a low-risk approach that doesn’t provide room for Tebow to turn the ball over.

Permalink 62 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
62 Responses to “Tebow’s fumbles have been growing problem”
  1. theslex says: Dec 29, 2011 2:04 PM

The lack of Tebow stories the last couple weeks sure has been a welcome change of pace.

2. rayvens says: Dec 29, 2011 2:05 PM

All he does is win!…..lol, yeah right

3. earthtopft says: Dec 29, 2011 2:05 PM

Tebow is just building the suspense. No one would be hanging on the game if Denver clinched a couple weeks back.

4. n0hopeleft says: Dec 29, 2011 2:05 PM

I am not a part of Tebow-mania.

The guy has provided more in the “W” column this year, than the guy he replaced. His team has a chance to play in January. He’s provided wins over teams that claimed they were going to the Superbowl. He’s still a very young and humble QB. This is what happens to young players that touch the ball as much as he does.

He will fix it. If anyone deserves a chance to fix their mistakes, it’s this guy.

5. fittytuckin says: Dec 29, 2011 2:07 PM

Don’t say that to a Tebow fan or Skip Bayless, cause ” HE JUST WINS GAMES!!!”

6. kidfrankie says: Dec 29, 2011 2:12 PM

“Only two NFL players — Matt Moore and Blaine Gabbert — have fumbled more than Tebow this season.”

With stats like that to back him up, I just can’t fathom why he wasn’t chosen for the Pro Bowl.

7. trbowman says: Dec 29, 2011 2:13 PM

Better ingredients, better pizza…..Papa Johns!

8. cmack21 says: Dec 29, 2011 2:13 PM

cant read coverages, or defenses. keep him in the pocket and watch him throw ducks down the feild.

9. austrianpanther says: Dec 29, 2011 2:14 PM

Arrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! Another Tebrow article?!?!? Have you guys gone “Mad”???

I want a Brett Farve story line!!!

10. iluvwikileaks says: Dec 29, 2011 2:15 PM

There is no fumbling in the Bible! Hold on to the Damn ball, Baby Jesus!

11. vegaskid21 says: Dec 29, 2011 2:15 PM

Give him a freaking break will ya?

12. Patriot42 says: Dec 29, 2011 2:17 PM

Will Orton rise to the occasion and play great or will he show everyone why he was replaced?

13. The Baseball Gods says: Dec 29, 2011 2:21 PM

He will not be a starting QB in the NFL by the end of next season.

14. godofwine330 says: Dec 29, 2011 2:21 PM

I would like to thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for the lack of Tebow stories lately.

“You used the Lord’s name in vain. I’m tellin’ the warden”

“You’ll be telling him with my baton up your…” – Shawshank Redemption

15. rr2000k says: Dec 29, 2011 2:22 PM

See, I’m not always sticking behind you. There are other teams too.

Yours truly,

JC

16. mcjon22 says: Dec 29, 2011 2:24 PM

It must be mandated by the NFL and NBC Sports, that at least one Tebow story must be written once a day.

17. objectivenflfan says: Dec 29, 2011 2:25 PM

Tebow really does look lost at times out on the football field – especially his awareness in the pocket and ability to read defenses. But what young QB doesn’t struggle with interceptions, fumbles, and live football interpretation in their first year or two?

18. rdrs68 says: Dec 29, 2011 2:25 PM

if anyone understands Teblows problems it is Bill Maher-he nailed it.

19. beastofeden says: Dec 29, 2011 2:32 PM

Rex Grossman is unimpressed

20. ready4doomboom says: Dec 29, 2011 2:33 PM

I am a part of Tebow Mania by being a die hard Broncos fan. I like the kid, he’s a great guy and we’re playoff bound in part due to him. Still need to see more from him to convince me. But that goes the same with any 16 starts or less QB. I agree as well the less the coverage of him the best.

But, it will blow up bigger then ever if they skirt into the playoff’s so just be prepared.

21. Henry says: Dec 29, 2011 2:36 PM

“Tebow can take a while to make decisions”…
    That’s the understatement of the year, lol!
    The Patriots sacked him for a 28 yard loss, talk about a stupid rookie mistake!

22. theenricopalazzo says: Dec 29, 2011 2:48 PM

Hey lay off him. JC has been busy the past few weeks gearing up for his birthday weekend in Vegas. Now that has passed and Timothy will be the chosen one yet again.

23. Chris Carter says: Dec 29, 2011 2:49 PM

About time he was exposed – I was sick of the daily stories.

24. gallogj says: Dec 29, 2011 3:12 PM

That little stat correction cost me $125 and the Fantasy Football Championship! I was leading by 0.24pts…by changing the int to a lost fumble…it became -2pts instead of -1…and I lost. I hate you Tim Tebow!

25. chocolatebaconbutter says: Dec 29, 2011 3:19 PM

LOL at the guy above me. This guy staked his fantasy season on Tim Tebow and he gets mad when he loses.

26. ivegotbigblogs says: Dec 29, 2011 3:27 PM

Can’t wait for the Orton/Tebow game. I love a good story line.

27. rmm9090 says: Dec 29, 2011 3:27 PM

“………where Tebow can work his magic?”

Hahahahahahahahaha. Now that’s some funny shiznit right there!

28. dougydougdoug says: Dec 29, 2011 3:31 PM

“Tebow can take a while to make decisions”…
    That’s the understatement of the year, lol!
    The Patriots sacked him for a 28 yard loss, talk about a stupid rookie mistake!

Hah! That was a classic. It’s one thing to take a sack, but running full-speed towards your own endzone? It’s not soccer. What did he think he was going todo, kick the ball back to his keeper? What a tool.

29. bwisnasky says: Dec 29, 2011 3:38 PM

n0hopeleft says:
    Dec 29, 2011 2:05 PM
    I am not a part of Tebow-mania.

———————————————

I guess you are talking about his win over the Jets? Outside of that, he’s beat Miami, Oak, KC, SD, an AP-less Minnesota, and a Cutler/Forte – less Bears team. None of which I think ever claimed they were “going to the Superbowl”. I mean… Sexy Rexy may have said they were going to win the Superbowl, but any serious Jets fan, as well as any football fan in general can see that that team isn’t a “Superbowl” contender. But seriously… giving him credit for beating a TEAM that has a blowhard of a coach that predicted a Superbowl when he probably won’t make the playoffs? Get real. Tebow hasn’t really beaten anybody. Only truly good team they’ve played is New England, and he couldn’t even take advantage of NE’s crappy defense right now.

30. ballsooharduniversity says: Dec 29, 2011 3:39 PM

*tim tebow has been a problem

31. packerbacker12 says: Dec 29, 2011 3:41 PM

“Give him a freaking break will ya?”

If you actually think everyone is just going to bow down to Tebow like he does nothing wrong, then you are watching the wrong sport, pal. Every NFL player gets criticized for something and Tebow is no exception.

32. tunesmith says: Dec 29, 2011 3:54 PM

Part of the problem is that Denver’s young receivers are easy to cover. They don’t have very good route technique. It didn’t matter against Minnesota’s awful secondary, but Buffalo’s is pretty good. So then Tebow has to hold on to the ball for a while because no one is open.

33. 808raiderinparadise says: Dec 29, 2011 4:00 PM

Don’t worry there has been a Bible correction to save him:

*Thou shalt not fumble thy ball.

Has officially been added to the Bible to ensure his victory.

34. EJ says: Dec 29, 2011 4:08 PM

He will turn things around, he is a smart and capable kid.

35. EJ says: Dec 29, 2011 4:10 PM

The only good that would come from Tebow failing…

Watching that prick John Elway cry.

36. EJ says: Dec 29, 2011 4:11 PM

I dislike John Elway…a lot.

37. bleed4philly says: Dec 29, 2011 4:17 PM

All he does is fumble.

38. cuda1234 says: Dec 29, 2011 5:04 PM

But he will end up in the Pro Bowl anyway – no way the NFL lets this hype-machine miss out on Hawaii.

Would he be the first qb with sub 50% completions ever to play in the game? If so he could stake claim to yet another record (that no one else ever wanted)!

39. squared80 says: Dec 29, 2011 5:10 PM

How DARE you criticize Baby Jesus. God is on his side. Like Brett Favre before him, Tebow can do no wrong. He’s just a WINNER. He felt bad for the other teams so he gave them some turnovers so they’d feel better about themselves. Tebow is the greatest quarterback in the history of the game.

Sincerely,
    The Ignorant Sheep of America

40. randomguy9999 says: Dec 29, 2011 5:22 PM

I see a lot of comments that basically say he’s a good kid or nice guy or only in his second year and we should all cut him a break….

all I know is that no matter what you act or look like, you put up only 128yards and 1td per game over 12 games and end it with that many turnovers…. You are getting benched or cut 10 times out of 10

41. munchkin420 says: Dec 29, 2011 5:25 PM

Tim Tebow has been a GOD-send to this site and the NFL. And now apparently to opposing teams.

42. chocolatebaconbutter says: Dec 29, 2011 5:43 PM

Is it me or is John Elway’s head the biggest head on a guy NOT named Yao Ming?

43. godcanfirealdavis says: Dec 29, 2011 5:56 PM

RRRAAAIIIDDEERRSSSSS….

44. warrenmoon says: Dec 29, 2011 6:22 PM

I am a Raiders fan and I have been since before Gannon. I want them to do well, and the play offs would be amazing. However, I hope they go as a wildcard. I really hate the Broncos more than any other franchise, but the way people sit and insult Jesus/God just because they don’t like Tebow, well that makes me sick. I am a Christian first, every thing else second. If you doubt the power of God, that is your own problem. But don’t hate Tebow because he puts his trust in God. I hope to see Raiders vs Broncos AFC Championship. Without Tebow, I wouldn’t want the Broncos anywhere near play offs. But there’s so much pressure on that guy and he is carrying a cross and everyone sees it and wants him to fail. I would rather him win the next ten superbowls than the Raiders even make the play offs if it would make you people respect God. You all made this about more than football. Writers of PFT, you only add to it. The more we make it about Tebow’s religion, the more I like the guy. Jesus himself said you are blessed when others persecute you because of Him. Please quit making this about his religion, I know he talks about it a lot but so does Aaron Curry on the raiders and many other football players. I don’t want to have to keep rooting for the Broncos, but you aren’t giving me an option

45. lunchbox92 says: Dec 29, 2011 6:28 PM

Wow, there are several “not another Tebow article” complaints in the comments here. They put the title in big letters at the top. If you don’t want to read about Tebow, you don’t have to, the title clues you in as to what it’s about.

46. lunchbox92 says: Dec 29, 2011 6:32 PM

@packerbacker12

You said: “Every NFL player gets criticized for something and Tebow is no exception.”

They do? Who else do you hear get criticized this often? Where’s the article on Philip Rivers and his ridiculous amount of interceptions this year?

47. rr2000k says: Dec 29, 2011 6:38 PM

In a year or two, he won’t be Tebowing, he’ll be asking “can I super size that for you”?

48. discosucs2005 says: Dec 29, 2011 6:38 PM

” If anyone deserves a chance to fix their mistakes, it’s this guy.”

I think this is the crap that makes people hate Tebow.

What has Tebow done that makes him more deserving of chances?

He’s outspokenly Christian?

That shouldn’t make him any more deserving, and even if it did, he’s hardly the first.

He seems nice?

The league is filled with nice players at every talent level and position. The fact that Tebow gets talked about more doesn’t mean there aren’t other nice guys.

He was good in college?

As was every single other NFL player.

He “works hard?”

As does the overwhelming majority of NFL players.

So what is it? What about Tebow makes him more deserving of this attention than any other NFL player? It’s not the stats obviously. It’s not the wins (See: Alex Smith and John Skelton this year). There isn’t one single reason that Tebow should get more of a chance than anyone else, and it’s comments like the one quoted above that make people root against Tebow.

I don’t think very many people are actually rooting against Tebow, but subconsciously rooting against the fact ignoring losers that worship him. It’s those people we all want to lose.

49. acieu says: Dec 29, 2011 6:58 PM

Perhaps if he saw a divine healer like Benny Henn he can be cured through prayer.

50. sixburghrules says: Dec 29, 2011 7:01 PM

n0hopeleft says: Dec 29, 2011 2:05 PM

I am not a part of Tebow-mania.

————————————————-
    How quickly we forget that last year the Brocs went 5 or 6 & 0 until the Ravens and Steelers came to town. Orton didn’t fall apart after that because I had B Lloyd in FF and he was a stud (and still is). Broncs D fell apart this year and John Fox is NOT the solution to your problem nor is Tebow the Magnificent

51. sixburghrules says: Dec 29, 2011 7:05 PM

@discosucs2005 says: Dec 29, 2011 6:38 PM

It’s the greatest show this side of heaven! (tongue in cheek)

52. pandebailey says: Dec 29, 2011 7:34 PM

Here’s the solution for the Bronco’s next year – since they can’t get rid of Tebow, use him for what he does well, run the Wildcat – he’s the best at it the NFL has ever seen. But at the rest of the game, be honest, he just sucks and won’t improve. So you bring in a standard QB to run the offense, then sprinkle in Tebow now and then. Imagine the excitement of Bronco fans seeing their WonderBoy come off the bench every other series or in the red zone? It will work – he is tough to defend.

That way, Elway and Fox have a chance to score more than 12 points a game, Bronco fans are happy they still have their Tebow fix, and Pat Bowlen keeps his jersey sales.

53. tinopuno says: Dec 29, 2011 8:01 PM

warrenmoon says: Dec 29, 2011 6:22 PM
    I am a Raiders fan and I have been since before Gannon… I really hate the Broncos more than any other franchise, but the way people sit and insult Jesus/God just because they don’t like Tebow, well that makes me sick…I am a Christian first, every thing else second…I would rather him (Tebow) win the next ten superbowls than the Raiders even make the play offs if it would make you people respect God… I don’t want to have to keep rooting for the Broncos, but you aren’t giving me an option.
    ————————————————————–

IMHO, it is precisely this kind of obsessive, self-righteous gibberish espoused by the true believers that worship Tebow, more than anything TT actually does, that drives so many of us into the anti-Tebow camp.

Please God, make them stop!

54. lunchbox92 says: Dec 29, 2011 11:15 PM

@tinopuno

Someone says that he doesn’t like people attacking Tebow’s religion. Your response is that him not liking Tebow’s religion being attacked is why you and others are anti-Tebow.

So, basically, someone points out that people have petty and ridiculous reasons for not liking Tebow and you confirm that the reasons you have for not liking Tebow are petty and ridiculous.

55. warrenmoon says: Dec 30, 2011 12:23 AM

tinopuno…. I do not worship Tebow. I said nothing about worshiping Tebow. You keep making this about his faith. Everyone else keeps making it about his faith. All the atheist jokes, the Jesus doesn’t care about football, God can’t help him stuff, that’s what makes me a Tebow fan. I hated him in training camp. I didn’t want anything to do with him I hoped he sat the bench. But he got a chance, and when people think Tebow now, they think Jesus. All of you can get mad at me for writing this, but Jesus is my Lord. Through Jesus, anything is possible. I believe this, and I am insulted when people say Jesus doesn’t care, Jesus won’t help him, Jesus won’t do this… well they don’t know Jesus. I’m an active evangelist, I preach about evolution, the big bang, modern Christianity, but since you obviously know nothing about the Christian faith nor car to learn then maybe you should keep your mouth shut about Tebow’s faith. He’s not a good football player. Bash is playing all you want. But when you insult his religion you insult mine, for he is my brother in Christ. Idc if PFT bans me for this. It would be on he/she’s conscience. Jesus is still alive. Jesus is real. Jesus doesn’t only exist on Sunday mornings in a church. Tebow acknowledges that, and it’s your guilty conscience or lack of that makes you want to persecute him cause you think that you are right. This is the Christian faith. Insult me for it, but that is prejudice. And if your way is better, then I ask who made you a judge? What is this really about? If you are a Christian, then I encourage you to read your bible and reallize that what Tebow is doing is a ok and good. If you aren’t then go ahead, continue shouting off ignorance. It’s ok to judge a Christian for his faith. Its prejudice to make fun of a Muslim. I take my faith seriously, and if you hate me for it that’s fine. But since when is it not ok to be publicly Christian?

56. lunchbox92 says: Dec 30, 2011 12:38 AM

@discosucs2005

Someone said he should be given a chance to fix his mistakes. You said this statement is why people hate Tebow. If it is, that’s ridiculous. That’s an incredibly stupid reason to hate Tebow. Because he has fans that think he’ll improve and correct his mistakes? Give me a break.

You asked, “What has Tebow done that makes him more deserving of chances?”

Do you think he shouldn’t have a chance to correct his mistakes? Should the Broncos bench their quarterback who’s gone 7-3 with 5 late-game comebacks? Is that what you’re advocating they do?

He was a first round pick. First-round picks in the NFL do get more chances to improve than others do. Gabbert does and will. Bradford does and will. A team spends a first-round pick on a player so he can play. He’s going to get more chances. He’s not getting any more chances than another player drafted where he was and performing like he is would get. And, like it or not, he’s earned the trust of teammates and coaches which does get you chances to play.

And it’s still funny how many posts complain about coverage of Tebow. You complainers are reading it and commenting on it. If you’re reading it and it’s getting a reaction from you, they’re not going to stop writing about it.

57. lunchbox92 says: Dec 30, 2011 12:53 AM

@sixburghrules

Denver did not start “5 or 6 and 0″ last year, they started 2-6.

And, yes, Orton did fall apart – he didn’t even start the last three games last year.

In 2009, the Broncos started 6-0, and yeah, Orton fell apart after that. After that start, Orton’s record as a starter in Denver (this year included) was 6-22.

58. wolfiewolfgang says: Dec 30, 2011 6:44 AM

Anyone that doesn’t worship Tebow is a racist. You all didn’t seem to have a problem with all of Favre’s fumbles so what is the difference between the turnover king and Tebow other than time and a few pictures with genitals exposed wearing crocks? Yeah that’s right, race! One’s wasn’t born in America like our Kenyan president.
    Sincerely,
    Fox News

59. raquelma9 says: Dec 30, 2011 9:21 AM

TOs are not to be blamed in one person, what is this kobe game? that he has to do everything? why is not the rest of the team paying attention to the ball to protect from TOs? why is the receiver/QB not protected? unless the team wants to destroy him, otherwise it’s just media hype. funny, when they win critics want to credit the entire team, yet when they lose, it’s all his fault. true tebow-fans believe he always do his best to win regardless it’s just a game…peace…enjoy the game…go tebow!

60. wicky888 says: Dec 30, 2011 10:52 AM

@gallogj

As unfortunate as that is (similar things have happend to me), thats what you get for starting Tim Tebow in your fantasy football championship

61. neelymessier says: Dec 30, 2011 11:46 AM

SSDD — fodder for the badminton game between Tebow lovers and Tebow haters ( at least mockers ).

Lets really look at the numbers, because fumbles not lost count as much as dropped interceptions.

Twelve fumbles! But only 5 were turnovers. Also he has passed for 12 touchdowns and rushed for 6 more. On the downside vs 18 tds he has 10 turnovers, 5 fum, 5 int.

Jesus Christ look at Elways rookie stats with 10 starts!! Worse passer rating too. Elway passed for 7 TD and ran for 1TD. He truned it over 20, that’s right I said 20 times, 14 picks and 6 fumbles.

I think it’s a little early to call it a career.

62. christiansagainstnike says: Dec 30, 2011 2:35 PM

I am offended that Tim Tebow would dishonor the true God of Victory by promoting a company named after the pagan goddess NIKE… the pagan goddess NIKE worshipped by others for victory… the pagan goddess originating with Satan to take honor away from God.

I am offended that he wants to be the spokesperson for God honoring Christians and does not even honor God in that area.