Leslie Frazier: Job security “never has been an issue”

Tampa Bay Buccaneers v Minnesota Vikings Getty Images

Vikings coach Leslie Frazier says his team’s 3-12 record doesn’t mean his job is on the line.

Instead, Frazier said he has been in regular communication with the Wilf family that owns the team and is sure that he’s in it for the long haul.

It never has been an issue,” Frazier told reporters, via Judd Zulgad of 1500ESPN.com. “I’m being completely honest with you. My job security has never been an issue other than when I’m talking to you guys. That’s the truth. We’re going to get this thing turned eventually. We’ll get it done.”

Frazier says he has had nothing but support from his bosses.

“I have confidence in my bosses,” he said. “I’ve got great bosses and they’ve been very supportive. Write that. Very supportive. Even in the midst of, what are we now? A 3-12 season? They’ve been very supportive. Which I’m thankful for.”

And Frazier can be thankful that he’ll get to keep his job despite going 6-15 in 21 games as the Vikings’ coach.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Leslie Frazier: Job security “never has been an issue””
  1. joetoronto says: Dec 30, 2011 7:28 AM

Oh boy.

2. maddenwizkid says: Dec 30, 2011 7:33 AM

We’re going to get this thing turned eventually. We’ll get it done.”—–

I don’t know about y’all but that got me fired UP!……..sike! Wake me up when it’s “eventually”.

3. jc1958cool says: Dec 30, 2011 7:38 AM

the only issue winning! being a packer fan i hope he stays

4. thegonz13 says: Dec 30, 2011 7:39 AM

It could be an issue if he pulls another stinker of a year!

5. Robert Chandler says: Dec 30, 2011 7:45 AM

I firmly believe if Frazier were not a minority, he never would be in this position. Sorry, just calling it the way I see it. His defensive “credentials” were mostly due to superior play by a uniquely talented D-Line for those years. He (Frazier) benefited from their dominance, but his “strategy” was never anything special; in fact the tired old Cover 2 they run is about as vanilla as his lame personality. This guy couldn’t inspire anyone, and it will end badly for the organization and him, when the owner finally fesses up to making a PC/PR move that didn’t work out at all.

Picture a truly great strategic innovator and leader atop this franchise. Even then, this team has a titanic challenge in climbing back to relevance and respectability. You notice, none of the marquee coaches out there ever talk longingly about this franchise. Never. It is tougher than it has ever been to remain a fan of the Vikings. I am trying my best to hang on, after 50 years, but there is very little to get excited about.

Frazier is not helping by being a dull, clueless type of guy. His quotes all remeind me too much of Childress, only he makes Chilly look more aware. “…what are we now? A 3-12 season?” Like he doesn’t know how bad their record is! Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!! He is very lucky this team has no clue and is willing to accept mediocrity.

6. capitaloffense says: Dec 30, 2011 7:47 AM

Ask my team (WAS), Donovan McNabb comes with a free one year of employment coupon. Dan Snyder had his finger on the button that drops coaches into the alligator pit in front of his desk. However, Shanahan showed him the coupon and Snyder just decided to shoot his secretary in the face and suck it for one more go.

7. jimmysee says: Dec 30, 2011 8:00 AM

Vikings have limited talent and no stadium. The head coach is the least of their problems.

8. shaner329 says: Dec 30, 2011 8:12 AM

You can tell he cares so much about the team that he barely remembers the team’s record.

9. jerrykill4pres says: Dec 30, 2011 8:43 AM

I’m not sure this can be soley put on Frazier’s shoulders. Spielman is by far the worst GM in football. I still can’t figure out why Wilf hired him after he destroyed the Dolphins. Between Childress’ years here, and Spielman, they left the cupboards bare. Frazier has no depth on the roster, the left tackle showed up overweight and out of shape. So he wanted to set a precedent with him. The rest of the line just flat out isn’t that good. They only have 1 wr in Harvin, no QB that stands out at this time. Their RB just blew out his knee. The secondary is a joke. Winfield is the only player that is good. But he’s old, and on the downside of his career. The LB’s flat out can’t play. They signed Greenway to a long term deal, and i think he’s over rated by a long shot. The D-line has 1 guy that plays up to his potential or beyond, and that’s Allen. Kevin Williams couldn’t find his way to the QB with a Garmin or Tom Tom.. This goes way beyond Frazier. I do feel he is at fault for the whole McNabb experiment. And i think the coordinators he hired were a mistake. Frazier is the least of the teams worries right now. Wilf gave the fans what they wanted a year ago when they wanted Childress gone. He fired him. Everyone was clammoring for Frazier to be the coach then. Well, we got him, now let’s give him some time to correct this. But we also have to give him some help. Like fire Spielman, and find someone that can actually scout these college players, and find free agent talent without breaking the bank for one aging “star” talent. They can find guys who are “good” and still provide good depth. You don’t always need to make that big “splash” signing of a big name guy. But you can make solid signing’s of good sound guys who can add depth to the roster, so when someone does go down, you have a guy who can step in, and play above his level because he is surrounded by good players. If you need an example, just look at the secondary. You can’t sit there and try to put a group of “stars” together. That isn’t always the answer.. Look at Philly, or NBA’s Miami Heat. And throwing money at it doesnt always work. Look at Washington’s Dan Snyder, or as close as the Vikings Brett Favre experiement “take two” the 2010 version. So we can’t sit and blame Frazier. Let’s get the personel in here first. And see what he can do then. Players can make the coach look good or bad.

10. chetwynnr says: Dec 30, 2011 8:44 AM

I am not a Viking fan but their team didn’t look to be badly coached. I didn’t see a bunch of mental mistakes from the players or bad game management from the coaches. Given better performance from their offensive unit they would have been contenders though behind both Green Bay and Detroit.

11. ickky says: Dec 30, 2011 8:45 AM

Fraziers job status isn’t an issue as long as Mr. Wilf is paying Chilly.
    Packers can lick my taint

12. gb4mn0 says: Dec 30, 2011 9:09 AM

WOW, isn’t this exciting news for the purple toads!

I guess PA needs to get used to selling false hope to the lavender Larry rubes, cause there surely ain’t gonna be no Lombardi in Winter Park anytime soon with this dispassionate slug who’s about as inspirational as a funeral director.

Skoal perpetual irrelevancy!

13. ammarradhi says: Dec 30, 2011 9:16 AM

I am not ready to fire Frazier yet, but since he was a professional corner back, how can you go into the season with terrible corners and expect anything good to happen. The tampa 2 is done, bring Singletary to be de coordinator and go with the 3-4 defense. Get your offensive line fixed so Ponder has more than 1 second before he gets hit by 5 guys. Get a WR, so Harvin isn’t triple covered anymore. And please find a GM that knows what he is doing.

14. ejmat2 says: Dec 30, 2011 9:18 AM

jerrykill4pres says:
    Dec 30, 2011 8:43 AM
    —————————————-
    For the rest of you that don’t understand, Spielman is NOT a GM. He is a Director of Player Personnel which is the real problem. I do agree Spielman sucks. He has now run two teams into the ground (Dolphins and Vikings). But the Vikings Do need to hire a GM. Someone other than Spielman.

15. 6kings says: Dec 30, 2011 9:36 AM

Dungy faced the same kind of ignorant criticism that Frazier is facing. If you remember, Dungy was fired in Tampa. It takes time to get your team “right” after a disaster like Childress bowled through the locker room.

There are some nice pieces on this team, but the offensive line and defensive backfield need to improve a great deal for the Vikings improve.

Frazier did make a mistake with McNabb, but that is over. Give him credit for pulling the plug on Chunky Soup after 6 games.

Character is needed at the top. Frazier has that.

16. gb4mn0 says: Dec 30, 2011 9:46 AM

ickky says:
    Dec 30, 2011 8:45 AM
    Packers can lick my taint
    ——————————————–

So you go that way iccky?

Did it feeling good to come out?

17. bordner says: Dec 30, 2011 10:17 AM

ejmat2 says:
    Dec 30, 2011 9:18 AM

jerrykill4pres says:
    Dec 30, 2011 8:43 AM
    —————————————-
    ———————————————

I think Matt Millen’s available.

18. cswenson218 says: Dec 30, 2011 10:24 AM

Coach Frazier doesn’t give me warm fuzzies, but this mess isn’t his fault. Yes…Spielman has to go. Need to get the stadium figured out. Then we can work on the team. The entire defense save Allen can go…the offense…I don’t know. Keep Harvin, keep Peterson although I fear his career is over. I like Rudolph. Ponder…I just don’t know. I don’t think “put the kid in there and let them beat the SH*T out of him and he’ll learn” works. I just don’t know. Mid 70’s…1998…2009…we are patient here in MN.

19. mancave001 says: Dec 30, 2011 10:30 AM

Does this mean Ziggy is getting fired? It’s the dreaded vote of confidence!

20. fground says: Dec 30, 2011 10:42 AM

Head coaching is the most overrated position in the NFL. Personnel decisions are far more crucial than coaching. All one has to do is look at Indy to see just how little effect a coach has.

Jim Caldwell could have had a 16-0 team had Indy played their starters in 2009 – two years later he almost had a 0-16 team.

Did he suddenly get stupid?

The Vikings are doomed because they have no one in place that can make decent personnel decisions. Any organization that wastes a 12th pick overall on a mediocrity like Ponder is going no where. Spielman has shown consistent poor judgement with QBs – his love of Rosenfels and trade for Feeley in Miami demonstrate this.

The Vikings are doomed to poor results until they get a superior GM – I don’t have much faith that the Wilf’s have the instincts or smarts to find such an individual.

21. riverhorsey says: Dec 30, 2011 10:42 AM

If you can’t do better than that with AP, Harvin, ect. on O and Allen & co on defense something is wrong.

An average QB should of gotten 8 wins w that team.

22. contra74 says: Dec 30, 2011 10:58 AM

gb4mn0 says:
    Dec 30, 2011 9:09 AM
    WOW, isn’t this exciting news for the purple toads!

Skoal perpetual irrelevancy!

9 11
    ——–
    Lavender larrys, purple toads, and the double negative which suggests you believe the Vikings will win a Lombardi! You must be the pride of the packer fanbase!

23. cswenson218 says: Dec 30, 2011 11:22 AM

Maybe Gerbschmidt can design some plays for us. Anyone remember the 42 Blitz? Everyone but Sharper goes and Sharper covers all the receivers? I know Gerby is a figment of Barrerios imagination, but that’s good stuff.

24. gb4mn0 says: Dec 30, 2011 11:30 AM

contra74 says:
    Dec 30, 2011 10:58 AM
    gb4mn0 says:
    Dec 30, 2011 9:09 AM
    WOW, isn’t this exciting news for the purple toads!

Skoal perpetual irrelevancy!

9 11
    ——–
    Lavender Larry’s, purple toads, and the double negative which suggests you believe the Vikings will win a Lombardi! You must be the pride of the packer fanbase!

0 1 i

———————————————

I will never say never. As unlikely as it may be, the sun may shine some day on your dumb a$$es.

If you extrapolate the section of my syntax containing the double negative you’ll notice that it was in the context of a colloquial lexicon that’s familiar with the illiterate trailer trash lavender Larry crowd.

25. sevensixtwonato says: Dec 30, 2011 1:31 PM

gb4mn0 says:

————————————————–

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you’re still….well you get the point…

26. purplehayseuss says: Dec 30, 2011 1:42 PM

capitaloffense,

You are indeed offensive. Your post makes no real sense yet you succeeded in mentioning violent murder.

Others have referenced oral deviant sex.

And I get censored for calling the Packers Holy.

gb4mn0;

You’re so smart, you’re dumb.