Benny Sapp faces multiple misdemeanors

New Orleans Saints v Minnesota Vikings Getty Images

On Friday, the Vikings made much ado about the fact that cornerback Benny Sapp wasn’t arrested, but instead simply cited.

It’s a distinction without much of a difference.  Sure, Sapp didn’t ride in the back of a cruiser or do the proverbial perp walk, but he still faces criminal charges.

Specifically, the Associated Press reports that Sapp has been charged with careless driving and fifth-degree assault, both misdemeanors, following a fracas with security at Children’s Hospital in Minneapolis.  Specifically, Sapp and his 11-year-old son reportedly tried to enter the facility through a closed entrance.  Sapp reportedly left the boy with a security guard, explaining that the boy’s mother was inside the hospital and Sapp had to go to work.

(Hey, it’s better than leaving the kid home alone to play video games.  Wait, no it isn’t.)

Per the report, Sapp allegedly pushed a security guard who tried to detain him.  Sapp then allegedly chest-bumped another security guard who was blocking access to Sapp’s vehicle.

And so Sapp has been charged with two crimes, which is enough to reset the “days without an arrest” meter.  But the Vikings can continue to point out that he technically wasn’t arrested.

When you’re 3-12, it’s important to take your victories wherever you can find them.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
40 Responses to “Benny Sapp faces multiple misdemeanors”
  1. cletusvandam says: Dec 31, 2011 10:09 PM

What I want to know is how many times he asked the security guards “Do you know who I am?”

2. fittytuckin says: Dec 31, 2011 10:11 PM

3. claymatthewsisonsteroids says: Dec 31, 2011 10:17 PM

I wonder if he used the, “don’t you know who I am” card. Oh wait, it’s Benny Sapp. I don’t even think his mom knows who he is.

4. bryguy39 says: Dec 31, 2011 10:25 PM

just another one to cut after the years over. Being a Vikings fan is getting tough these days!

5. gb4mn0 says: Dec 31, 2011 10:26 PM

The queens are probably disappointed Sapp wasn’t arrested so they weren’t able to add to their league lead before the end of the year of having the most players arrested.

6. erlynx says: Dec 31, 2011 10:28 PM

Who is Benny Sapp? Did you mean Benny the Jet Rodriguez?

7. backindasaddle says: Dec 31, 2011 10:32 PM

So basically…he just wanted to “dump” his kid with some mall cop type that he didn’t know because he was running late. Despicable! He should brought up on charges of child abandonment!

8. chatham10 says: Dec 31, 2011 10:34 PM

Maybe that was one of the reasons the Vikings got rid of him before all the injuries and brought him back. I would think a guy who is just hanging on in the NFL would use some sense, I guess that would be asking too much.

9. ttommytom says: Dec 31, 2011 10:35 PM

A crime is defined as either a felony or a misdemeanor. You HAVE to be arrested. Someone in the Vikings org. is brain dead…

10. bombayjon says: Dec 31, 2011 10:48 PM

Technically, a citation is an arrest. all they can say is he was not booked.

Btw, not a Raider. Just saying.

11. sterling7 says: Dec 31, 2011 10:54 PM

I’ve been a Viking fan since 1968, who is Benny Sapp and why is he worth talking about? There’s nothing to post so take the evening off and have a wonderful New Year!!!

12. trbowman says: Dec 31, 2011 11:00 PM

“For what reason did they attempt to detain him? Here in Texas let a SECURITY GUARD try to block me from my vehicle and I didn’t do anything illegal, he’ll have an unpleasant suprise once I get inside it.”

Texas is not considered a part of American society.

13. mattolikesthevikes says: Dec 31, 2011 11:15 PM

Lame

14. fittytuckin says: Dec 31, 2011 11:22 PM

@trbowman

And where might you be located? Probably the Boondocks of Nowhere-ville.

15. Gordon says: Dec 31, 2011 11:24 PM

fittytuckin

——————————————————–

You’re such a tough guy. Are you John Wayne reincarnated?

16. jimmysee says: Dec 31, 2011 11:58 PM

===================================

So what’s the deal, fitty? You keep your ‘manhood’ in your truck?

That how they do it in Texas?

Security guard is only doing his job. And not making much for it.

17. fittytuckin says: Jan 1, 2012 12:12 AM

@Gordon

More like Delonte West.

18. teamnorsecore says: Jan 1, 2012 12:18 AM

gb4mn0 says:
    Dec 31, 2011 10:26 PM

…..
    Well dumba$$, you are in the profootballtalk.com lead for irellevant, idiotic statements towards a team, their players and fans that you supposedly hate, yet post on multiple times a day, so maybe you and Benny should go hang out? Think Sapp would like your backwoods trailer in Sconi where you and Mom live? You could cook up some roadkill for your guest….mmmmmmm….

19. tinbender2000 says: Jan 1, 2012 12:20 AM

fittytuckin says: Dec 31, 2011 11:22 PM

@trbowman

And where might you be located? Probably the Boondocks of Nowhere-ville.
    ——————————————————
    No, the “Boondocks of Nowhere-ville” is another name for Texas.

20. briano2095 says: Jan 1, 2012 1:07 AM

Worst part of all this is, he’s actually been their most solid corner after he was signed(Shows how bad this season has been). He was sitting on his couch a few months ago.Is it something in the water? I just don’t get it . . .

21. timegambit says: Jan 1, 2012 1:39 AM

Guard should have threatened to run a Z route on him. Woulda paralyzed Sapp with fear.

22. gdeli says: Jan 1, 2012 1:47 AM

he’s another moron the vikes need to dump and what pick will they get now? what a damn mess.

23. lostsok says: Jan 1, 2012 2:00 AM

Based on his time in Miami, I’m surprised he didn’t TRY to chest bump the guard…only to whiff completely and allow the guard to score untouched.

The guard should have taken a swing. No WAY Benny intercepts it…

24. TxGrown says: Jan 1, 2012 2:41 AM

“Texas is not considered a part of American society.”
    ———————————————————————————
    What YOU call the “american society” is probably not American.

Thanks for the compliment.

25. soya88 says: Jan 1, 2012 3:05 AM

He did get charged for beating up some women in college so at least he’s moved on from that to lesser crimes now.

26. sportsmediacritic says: Jan 1, 2012 3:05 AM

5th Degree Assault? Didn’t even know that they went down that low. What’s 4th degree, spitting on an ant hill?

Not sure a minor scuffle with a Rent-a-Cop warrants coverage.

27. noeffinway says: Jan 1, 2012 3:20 AM

Gb4Mn0
    Look up which team has the most arrests in the nfc North since 2000-yep it’s gb.

28. tatum064 says: Jan 1, 2012 3:55 AM

Rent-a-cops.

I don’t blame him. I cannot stand when they get in your face and obviously you are leaving or made a mistake, and get into “Homeland security” mode.

Sapp should just enter from the common entrance rather than a closed door. What was up with leaving his kid with someone?

29. tatum064 says: Jan 1, 2012 3:58 AM

bombayjon says:
    Dec 31, 2011 10:48 PM
    Technically, a citation is an arrest. all they can say is he was not booked.

Btw, not a Raider. Just saying.
    =================================
    No, that would be Sapp breaking the security guards arm, as ex-Raider, Barrett Robbins did the actual police. Or Anthony Smith getting charged with murder.

I agree, not a Raider, unfortunately my man McClain had to shoot a gun at that guys ear and get booked in Decauter, Alabama – then that dude just got let out.

30. shawnc16 says: Jan 1, 2012 4:17 AM

fittytuckin says:
    Dec 31, 2011 10:11 PM

__________________________________

The reason was probably because he was leaving a child with them.

31. bubbasmithguy says: Jan 1, 2012 8:05 AM

As a Viking fan, why hasn’t this guy been cut?

32. football2011 says: Jan 1, 2012 8:46 AM

Predicated quote from Sapp Monday Morning after season ends

“Would you like fries with that?”

33. theytukrjobs says: Jan 1, 2012 9:17 AM

Woopity doo. Sapp is gone after next game regardless of what happens. A couple misdemeanors that will probably run him $1000 in fines. The car insurance hike is part that will get him the worst.

And what the hell are security guards doing trying to detain a man for trying to use a locked door?

34. jerrykill4pres says: Jan 1, 2012 9:30 AM

Someone mentioned that he’s been our best corner since he was signed.. That’s what really sucks… How many draft picks have been wasted on the CB’s over the past few years, and as soon as Winfield went down, what did we have? Garbage…. Our “director of player personnel” (which is a glorified title for GM”.. and director of college scouting need to be sent packing around 3:10pm cst today. Then personally i think i would hire ms gb4mn0 as a new “gm”…. she would pick guys like Mark Chumura… So all we would ever have is guys takin a dump in a girls closet. Never would have these “chest bumpin, gf strangling, love boat captains” on our team. I think her and her lavender panties would do a marvelous job with picking players of high character.

35. dd393 says: Jan 1, 2012 10:12 AM

Looks like The Benny went for quantity over quality.

36. gb4mn0 says: Jan 1, 2012 10:48 AM

jerrykill4pres says:
    Jan 1, 2012 9:30 AM
    ———————————————-

So you’re saying you’d trade off having players who have participated in the later behaviors in exchange for an entire squad that takes a dump in a girls closet? OMG I’ve heard it all.

You exemplify the prototypical vikequeen rube.

PA would be proud of you.

37. richm2256 says: Jan 1, 2012 11:16 AM

timegambit says:
    Jan 1, 2012 1:39 AM

——————————————————–
    First great post of 2012!

theytukrjobs says:
    ———————————————————
    Think about that for a minute …… you’ll get it eventually.

I hope.

38. jerrykill4pres says: Jan 1, 2012 12:45 PM

gb4mn0 says:
    Jan 1, 2012 10:48 AM
    jerrykill4pres says:
    Jan 1, 2012 9:30 AM
    ———————————————-

You exemplify the prototypical vikequeen rube.

PA would be proud of you.
    ——————————————————

I know things for the people of wisconsin like yourself, who live in trailers, or the typical old 2 story house with boarded up windows, and a window shaker for comfort. (of which i’m not sure if that’s a step above trailer trash, or a step below. I guess it depends on the size of your satellite dish) to understand. But it’s called sarcasm. It comes strongly from people who think your an idiot. It is hilarious when people like you make your statements about GB players never getting in trouble, or how GB fans never break the law. In 2009, there were 2 GB fans in the mens bathroom at the Dome fornicating! 2 GB MALE fans! They never break the law right? I think it’s time you get back to work at Cruisin Chubby’s… Your boss has your lavender panties for you!

39. binarybulge says: Jan 2, 2012 2:21 PM

Citation, not arrest. Shouldn’t have reset the Arrest Meter. (Stickler for details.)

40. binarybulge says: Jan 2, 2012 2:22 PM

You always could rename it the “Turd Meter”.