Jon Gruden: I’m staying at ESPN, not going anywhere

nfl_g_gruden_2002_200 Getty Images

Florio mentioned the other day that Jon Gruden had been conspicuously quiet about reports that he could return to coaching in 2012. Now Gruden has come forward to say that he intends to remain in the broadcast booth.

“I love my job and I’ll be back at ESPN with the guys,” Gruden told the Tampa Tribune. “I’m not going anywhere.”

Regarding the report that Gruden could join A.J. Smith as a coach-G.M. team in St. Louis next season, Gruden said that’s not happening.

“I enjoy being with our ESPN team,” Gruden said. “I’m staying put.”

There’s still plenty of time for the 48-year-old Gruden to get the itch to coach again and leave Monday Night Football behind, but for now, he insists that he won’t be back on the sidelines.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
50 Responses to “Jon Gruden: I’m staying at ESPN, not going anywhere”
  1. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 31, 2011 2:22 PM

Bad news for all of us that he’s staying SMH.

2. philyeagles5 says: Dec 31, 2011 2:23 PM

can we just forget about these past coaches already? if they wanna come back, then theyll come back.

3. patriotsadw says: Dec 31, 2011 2:24 PM

After my next chuckie movie…

4. greymares says: Dec 31, 2011 2:26 PM

he can’t broadcast and he can’t coach as long as he doesn’t come to philly like the wip blowhard morning host wants i don’t care where he goes.

5. seanx40 says: Dec 31, 2011 2:30 PM

In other words, no one offered him a coaching job.

6. joshsports6000 says: Dec 31, 2011 2:30 PM

Cue the trolls claiming he’s a terrible broadcaster. How people soon forget the abilities of Tony Kornheiser.

7. fittytuckin says: Dec 31, 2011 2:31 PM

THIS GUY!

8. moneymike23 says: Dec 31, 2011 2:37 PM

Maybe no one wants Gruden and its time for you and other readers to realize he is an overrated coach. End of story.

9. flyermb says: Dec 31, 2011 2:38 PM

“I’m staying at ESPN, not going anywhere.” Code for I’ll be coaching next season.

10. freedomispopular says: Dec 31, 2011 2:39 PM

Right, and Nick Satan’s not leaving Miami

11. vanmorrissey says: Dec 31, 2011 2:39 PM

Overrated as a coach and broadcaster, both. Can’t see why anyone gets all hot and bothered over him, he ain’t all that.

12. duanethomas says: Dec 31, 2011 2:47 PM

Very average coach.

13. garyman1 says: Dec 31, 2011 2:51 PM

Cue Mike Pereira…

14. kinguga says: Dec 31, 2011 2:53 PM

“seanx40 says: Dec 31, 2011 2:30 PM

In other words, no one offered him a coaching job.”

Actually, no one has offered him a coaching job YET.

15. slyordie says: Dec 31, 2011 3:02 PM

Forget Gruden, have you asked Matt Millen if he will stay in the booth or pursue another GM job?

16. boblavoie says: Dec 31, 2011 3:05 PM

Oh goodie! We will have to look at that scary face for a long time – HELP!

17. waldoampere says: Dec 31, 2011 3:06 PM

Now we know the truth because no football coach has ever lied about changing jobs.

18. tommytd says: Dec 31, 2011 3:08 PM

Forget the man for just a moment. Bigger question: why would ANYBODY leave the cushy comfort of a broadcast booth for an NFL head coaching job where you’re only as good as your last game? Throw in coaching a bunch of overpaid clowns and it really should be a no brainer. Stay right where you’re at Jon.

19. vikingdoode says: Dec 31, 2011 3:09 PM

Call the game tell it how it is stop ball washing every team we’d respect you more if you are Captian Obvious rather than Captain Oblivious.

20. atwatercrushesokoye says: Dec 31, 2011 3:09 PM

Please get him out of the broadcast booth, I sick of hearing about everything that amazes him week after week. “I’m just amazed by the way St Louis is able to identify which players will play which position!” “I’m just amazed by the way the Patriots are able to call the plays in before the play clock expires!” “I’m just amazed by the way the sun rises in the morning!”

21. rexryantheblowhard says: Dec 31, 2011 3:16 PM

Mike Pereira won’t be happy about this one.

22. ncsteeler says: Dec 31, 2011 3:24 PM

Josh

I grant you that he’s better than Kornheiser but shouldn’t the bar be set a little higher than that?

23. gatherspeed says: Dec 31, 2011 3:54 PM

Am I the only that thinks Broadcast gig>Coaching gig?

Ask John Madden.

Once you get a ring, it’s all good.

24. dasboat says: Dec 31, 2011 4:01 PM

Credit to Gruden to taking Dungy’s team and doing what Dungy couldn’t do — win a Super Bowl with the Bucs. But his next 6 years here were horribly inconsistent and his offensive “genius” never panned out. Not sure why he continues to be thought of as an A-list guy.

25. 3octaveFart says: Dec 31, 2011 4:02 PM

Translation: Nobody’s offered the right money yet…

26. bigtimetexanfan says: Dec 31, 2011 4:03 PM

Jimmy Johnson, Bill Cower, and Jon Gruden, are all scared of coming back to coaching for one simple fact. If they come back and bomb out(which they would) then there aura of being good is down the tubes and couldnt get another broadcasting job.

27. bodeee1975 says: Dec 31, 2011 4:42 PM

Exactly, those guys are affraid of tarnishing their reputation….Its not easy to win in the NFL and it is certainly not all about a head coach, their have been great coaches that just plain lose it….Shula,Landry, Noll, even Jimmy Johnson looked like a genius in Dallas and look at the mess in Miami he left, that certainly wasnt all on an aging Marino, Johnson did a lousy job bringing in talent , that and injuries and wham suddenly a guy doesnt look like a genius……Bill walsh was probably the best head coach Ive ever seen and look what he did in his second stint at Stanford……If Im Cower or Gruden I do just what Jimmy is doing and just take it easy in the studio or booth, building a winner is not easy ask Mike Holmgren, ask Parcells ask Ditka……. A lot of luck comes into play in this league

28. dawsonleery says: Dec 31, 2011 4:56 PM

Gruden needs to go to a built team. He needs veterans, he doesn’t know how to build a team. His draft picks in Oakland and Tampa Bay were pretty bad for the most part. I think Gruden would take the Head Coaching job in San Diego or maybe with the Eagles if Reid is out. we’ll see.

29. vincentbojackson says: Dec 31, 2011 5:00 PM

His preseason sit downs with the incoming QB ‘s are the best analysis on TV.

30. packmanfan says: Dec 31, 2011 5:14 PM

He didn’t find a team he didn’t like?
    Is that why he’s staying with ESPN?

31. seanx40 says: Dec 31, 2011 5:31 PM

“why would ANYBODY leave the cushy comfort of a broadcast booth for an NFL head coaching job where you’re only as good as your last game? ”

Because NFL head coaches make a LOT of money. Gruden made $4 million a year at Tampa Bay. Bill Belichick makes somewhere around $8 million a year. At ESPN, Gruden makes less than $1 million(I think. Too lazy to look). A few more years of coaching, and Gruden never has to do another days work in his life. Neither do his children.

32. lgbarn says: Dec 31, 2011 5:37 PM

dasboat says:
    Dec 31, 2011 4:01 PM

—————————————————

So sick of people saying it was Dungy’s team. Gruden replaced almost half that team and gave us an offense. I love Dungy but give Gruden his due. People forget that the Raiders were built by Gruden and had smashed the Bucs 45-0 just 2 years prior. If people want to play that game, why not give Sam Wyche some credit while you’re at it. He drafted a lot of those key players before Dungy took over.

33. ronaldmexico says: Dec 31, 2011 6:04 PM

I don’t understand why the media perpetuates rumors that this guy is going to accept an NFL coaching job next year. Once someone indicates his intention, there’s no reason to keep pressing the issue.

– Nick Saban

34. tatum064 says: Dec 31, 2011 6:44 PM

flyermb says:
    Dec 31, 2011 2:38 PM

===============

Agreed. _gauging the level of interest following the openings and who offers enough to induce him to leave ESPN. You never show your hand while the teams are still playing with head coaches.

35. briggsweatbird says: Dec 31, 2011 6:47 PM

Sad news, indeed. Not because he is not returning to the sideline (what team expressed interest anyway?), but because he is staying in the booth. Oh well, maybe the MNF match ups will be equally bad next year, and I will not be listening to Gruden every Monday night, just as I was not hearing him too often this year.

36. effjohntaylornorelation says: Dec 31, 2011 6:49 PM

The best part of him staying in the booth is no more players can have their careers ruined by him. No class.

37. unbiased8383 says: Dec 31, 2011 7:23 PM

Why on new years eve? I was looking forward to a bright new year and you throw this crap in my face for 17 Mondays. Let’s start a push where we get Madden and Summerall back in the booth. I didn’t appreciate it when they were there, but now? Please!

38. Patriot42 says: Dec 31, 2011 7:34 PM

Some reporters and fans just have to wish these past coaches would come back and keep stirring the rumor pot. They just can’t let it go.

39. joyjoy69 says: Dec 31, 2011 7:41 PM

Pleeeeeease go and coach the Chargers! The whole world would be a better place if Chuckie would stop talking on my TV during football games and coach some team I don’t care about! No, not the Chargers? How about the Dolphins? It’s nice and warm in Miami, and Chuckie has told me how dominant every single one of their players is. For that matter, I think he loves every single player in Jacksonville, Kansas City and St. Louis. Perhaps he’s waiting for Indianapolis or New York or Dallas? Fine, but please pick one!!!

40. joyjoy69 says: Dec 31, 2011 7:42 PM

OK, Chuckie doesn’t want to “break up the team” on MNF? I’ve got a great idea… wouldn’t Ron Jowarski make a great QB coach or Offensive coordinator? He sure thinks he knows everything about offense. Take him with you, and spare us all the NF Tool Kit!

41. dougydougdoug says: Dec 31, 2011 9:12 PM

The answer to Gruden and Jaws? AM radio, my friends.

42. snnyjcbs says: Dec 31, 2011 9:46 PM

It has been reported that ESPN Monday Night Ratings for the year feel through the floor this year, dropping some 10%.

I guess there is a price to pay for fooling with old Hank. They say the huge drop is unprecedented and I love it.

43. hallcyon says: Dec 31, 2011 10:45 PM

If he gets enough money, he will coach again, otherwise he sees himself as the next John Madden (another former Raiders coach).

44. sf49erguy says: Dec 31, 2011 11:11 PM

“This Guy” won one super bowl with a team that Tony Dungy built and was fired not to long after… what exactly has this clown done to be considered a great coach? oh yeah and he sucks as a broadcaster…

45. rohlo says: Dec 31, 2011 11:13 PM

probobly means aj smith is gone from san diego and he doesnt want to coach in a rebuild situation in st louis..i think the onnly job he would want would be the charger job because they are a ready team and it doesnt need to be blown up to rebuild and they have a franchise qb already and just bneed to make so moves to shore things up kinda like when he got to tampa bay!! !

46. jutts says: Dec 31, 2011 11:16 PM

Does anyone really give a rats ass what Mr. tough-guy( insert grimmace) does? He brings commical releif if anything. I think “hallcyon” is right. Enough money, and he’ll jump and ask how high. If he doesn’t coach again soon, he will never coach again. Who cares?

47. arbiterflick says: Dec 31, 2011 11:49 PM

Seems crazy to me that an established coach is jumping at the SD job. A top 5 QB, a talented (albeit needs some refining) roster, a stud RB that’s ready to take the next step.

All seems so logical. It’s got to be one of the most appealing coaching positions in a long time.

48. fbourdier10 says: Jan 1, 2012 3:44 AM

I’m not even mad at him. He’s cool in the booth. Let Gruden cook. He’ll coach on his terms if need be.

49. jerruhjones21 says: Jan 1, 2012 5:01 AM

bigtimetexanfan says:Dec 31, 2011 4:03 PM

———————————-

Jimmy would never return to coaching as he has said long ago – right after bombing in Miami!

50. tommytd says: Jan 1, 2012 7:08 AM

*******************************************************
    Hey if Matt Millen could land a broadcast job, ANYBODY can! The NFL is a good ‘ol boy network and these guys just keep circulating!