49ers’ Greg Roman says Penn State interest won’t distract him

San Francisco 49ers 2011 Headshots

Unlike Titans coach Mike Munchak, who insists that he’s not interested in becoming the next head coach at Penn State, 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman says he wants that job.

But Roman says that as long as he’s coaching a playoff team in his current job, he’s not thinking about any future jobs.

My focus is 100 percent on winning the next game for the 49ers,” Roman said, via CSNBayArea.com. “You got to win to stay alive now, and we have to be at our best.”

Roman has no connection to Penn State (he played football at John Carroll University and then worked for the Panthers, Texans and Ravens before joining Jim Harbaugh’s staff at Stanford and then following Harbaugh to the 49ers), but he sounds like he would take on the role of Joe Paterno’s successor if it were offered to him.

“I’ve spoken with Penn State, had some discussions with them about a month ago and found everybody involved on their end to be extremely intelligent, extremely focused on finding the best person they could under the unique circumstances there at Penn State,” Roman told 97.3 ESPN radio in South Jersey. “That’s a very unique opportunity at Penn State, so that’s something I’d definitely consider strongly. But I love where I’m at right now.”

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
17 Responses to “49ers’ Greg Roman says Penn State interest won’t distract him”
  1. tennis22drew says: Jan 4, 2012 11:13 AM

I hope he is right! As a niner fan, I would like to see the coaching staff remain in tact for a change, but I at least appreciate his honesty

2. ghostrider25 says: Jan 4, 2012 11:35 AM

We’ve had 8 different OC’s in 8 years. Please don’t let it be 9 for 9! :-(

3. Nevis says: Jan 4, 2012 11:37 AM

Harbaugh’s presense makes the 49ers OC woes a lot less worrisome. System will remain, with or without Roman.

4. shadowgm1 says: Jan 4, 2012 11:43 AM

No more cake defenses for Alex “The Sham” Smith to look moderately intelligent against. One and done, and if Penn State is impatient enough to hire before Tom Clements is free, I’m sure he’s the #1 choice (of all the names who have been remotely interested). I think it’s Clements job to lose.

5. nineroutsider says: Jan 4, 2012 11:52 AM

This is going to happen, this is what used to happen back in the day. As long as we have Harbaugh, we have the same offensive coordinator. I’m not taking anything away from Greg, but this is Harbaugh’s O.

I am concerned about defensive losses though, especially Fangio. That guy has done an outstanding job along with his position coaches, especially DB coach Donatell who should be a DC for some team soon. Don’t want to hate on a guy, but I’d like to see the guys on D stay together a few more years.

6. cletusvandam says: Jan 4, 2012 12:33 PM

Apparently Penn State hasn’t watched the 49ers offense…

7. buffaloniner says: Jan 4, 2012 1:37 PM

shadowgm1 says:

_____________________

Ummm… Do you even know what teams are in the playoffs? Quite a few weak defenses. Oh and also, 4 of the 8 teams playing this weekend played against the 49ers in the regular season, and they all lost to the 49ers. Just stating facts. You should look some up.

Anyway, I really hope Roman doesn’t leave for Penn State. I know Harbaugh has his hand in the coaching of the offense quite a bit and I have plenty of faith in him, but the constant OC changes are still not good. Harbaugh + Roman + Fangio = great system. I’d rather not take the risk of Roman being subtracted from the equation. Good luck to him if he goes though.

8. JSpicoli says: Jan 4, 2012 2:09 PM

Nerd

9. marcsasharc says: Jan 4, 2012 2:20 PM

im not too worried about Roman leaving. its Harbaugh’s offense and he can call plays if needed. also i dont think Roman is a great OC, i think hes replaceable. not too worried about a new OC in the least with Harbaugh running the show. its only bothersome when the HC knows little to nothing about the offensive side of the ball and clearly Harbaugh doesnt fit that bill.

10. kpow55 says: Jan 4, 2012 2:31 PM

buffaloniner says:

—————————

I seem to recall a Ravens’ los in there

11. beedubyatoo says: Jan 4, 2012 2:41 PM

Both Roman and Clements could be coaching their respective pro teams past signing day in early February.

Seems to me that most recruits would want to know who their college coach will be before signing a letter of intent. Strange situation at Penn State, but then again, they had an 84 year old man s their head coach. Just sayin’.

12. golfol says: Jan 4, 2012 2:58 PM

Why does the press do this guy a favor? Absolutely noone from Penn State has even mentioned this guy to anybody, and yet you guys give him free pub, and let him get his name out. Believe me if he was a serious candidate for this job someone with some knowledge of the situation would have mentioned his name. When Penn State hires anybody it will be a person of high reknown and a better pedigree than this charletan.

13. bearsstillsuck says: Jan 4, 2012 3:03 PM

Every time people say they’re not distracted, that means they’re distracted. Sucks for niner fans.

14. phelbin says: Jan 4, 2012 4:49 PM

buffaloniner says:

——–

What a great stat! Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Detroit, and NYG. And two of those were on the road.

15. bubba9er says: Jan 4, 2012 6:06 PM

@kpow55

If you are going to respond to a post, at least know what you’re talking about. He said of the 8 teams playing this weekend, 4 played and lost to the 9ers.
    The Ravens did beat the 9ers, but they’re not playing this week.
    Oh, and there are 2 s’s in “loss”. (Even Suggsy might know that.)

16. the1849ers says: Jan 6, 2012 7:08 AM

He’s 100 percent focused on this job, but he’d love to work somewhere else? Jerk

17. discosucs2005 says: Jan 6, 2012 7:05 PM

I guess now he really wont be distracted lol.