Larry Fitzgerald upset about one drop in 153 passes thrown his way

Arizona Cardinals v Minnesota Vikings Getty Images

Larry Fitzgerald is a perfectionist.

Fitzgerald, the Arizona receiver who concluded the season by leading the Cardinals to a win over the Seahawks on Sunday, was alerted to the fact that he dropped only one pass during the 2011 season, and he responded by saying that one drop is one too many.

It started with Mike Sando of ESPN.com noting on Twitter that Fitzgerald had just one drop on 153 passes thrown his way, and that the other three NFL players who had more than 150 targets (Roddy White, Wes Welker and Calvin Johnson) combined for 22 drops.

Fitzgerald saw that and responded with a tweet saying, “1 too many.”

Fitzgerald’s one drop of the season came in the game that was the Cardinals’ worst performance as a team this year, a 34-10 loss to the Vikings. That was early in the season, when the Cardinals got off to such a bad start that they were largely written off as one of the worst teams in the league.

However, the Cardinals closed the season by winning seven of their last nine games, and Fitzgerald showed once again that he’s one of the NFL’s best players. With Fitzgerald leading the way, the Cardinals are not a bad team.

Just think how good Fitzgerald — and the Cardinals — could be if Arizona had some stability at quarterback.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Rumor Mill
43 Responses to “Larry Fitzgerald upset about one drop in 153 passes thrown his way”
  1. factoryofsadness says: Jan 4, 2012 8:38 AM

Most overrated player in decades.

2. 6250claimer says: Jan 4, 2012 8:45 AM

“Most overrated player in decades”?? Possibly THE single most ignorant comment ever registered here, and with the drivel that flies here daily, that’s quite an accomplishment. Watch the second half of last Sunday’s win over the Seahawks. Larry was in full-on beast mode and put the entire team on his shoulders and willed the team to OT victory. And he’s done this countless times in his career. Don’t believe Larry is The Man?? Just ask his peers.

3. brownsclown says: Jan 4, 2012 8:45 AM

To improve the game you could send this article to Greg Little (of the Cleveland Browns). He dropped more passes this year than Larry Fitz has in his entire life.

You could also send it to Braylon (Hands of Stone, Head to Match) Edwards. But of course its meaning is well beyond his comprehension!

4. duanethomas says: Jan 4, 2012 8:49 AM

Imagine Tebow with Fitzgerald, scary thought.

5. 6ball says: Jan 4, 2012 8:49 AM

When an offense executes a play as drawn up and the receiver fails to complete the catch, it can not only kill a drive but change momentum. The offense gets deflated while the defense is energized.

6. silverbackdk says: Jan 4, 2012 8:50 AM

Worst comment in decades

7. legacybroken says: Jan 4, 2012 8:50 AM

Its refreshing too see a player even after getting paid still going out there and giving it his all.

8. camjon32 says: Jan 4, 2012 8:51 AM

factoryofsadness says:
    Jan 4, 2012 8:38 AM
    Most overrated player in decades.

I’m assuming that was said in jest because no rational person who has their sight would say something so ignorant.

9. bleed4philly says: Jan 4, 2012 8:51 AM

Beast

10. tommikula says: Jan 4, 2012 8:54 AM

factoryofsadness says:
    Jan 4, 2012 8:38 AM
    Most overrated player in decades.
    ————————————————–

There is no way you are stupid enough to write that.

Name me one other wide receiver that has been as consistent as Fitzgerald in a circus organization since 2004. You can’t because those guys bitch and moan and go elsewhere or they flat out suck.

If you don’t consider him a top 5 wide receiver in the NFL you don’t know anything about the game. Go back to your fantasy football you neck-bearded troll.

11. steveoz49 says: Jan 4, 2012 8:57 AM

Thank you Fitz! If only more players had your passion….. (sigh)

12. mistakenny says: Jan 4, 2012 9:09 AM

Fitz is a beast , im a niner fan and hes the one player i hate facing twice a year ! And he proves that no matter whose throwing to him even at wr you can take over a game , he single handedly beat the niners this year . Litterly lol

13. sambeall says: Jan 4, 2012 9:19 AM

Larry Fitzgerald is one of the hardest working individuals in the NFL. He is a positive role for anyone he has ever come in contact with. This has been going on his entire career. I have been a fan ever since the first time I seen him play his freshman year. He took the time to send me a jersey and a signed ball when I was in Iraq while he was still in college! Nothing but a class act. I only hope that someday I will be able to shake his hand and thank him for all of the inspiration that he has given me in my life. #FFF

14. 49erstim says: Jan 4, 2012 9:25 AM

You guys can’t keep responding to people that say ignorant things like the first comment above. He wants the attention.

Now on to Fitz… obviously this guy is a player for a divisional opponent, but I have nothing but nice things to say about him. He is a classy guy and has his head screwed on right. He is what we want out of our WRs. Great hands, body control and route running without the diva gene that has run rampant in the last decade. If youre not down with Fitz being top 5-caliber talent then I dont know how to persuade you because youve obviously never watched him play….. do you remember that TD dance he did a couple weeks ago? No? Thats because he doesnt have to put on a 1 man show in the endzone to get attention. Are you listening Stevie Johnson?

If he had a top flight QB he’d be breaking records plain and simple. I hope Skelton is that guy for him. Good luck Mr Fitzgerald and we’ll see you in Canton. :-)

15. steelerdynasty2010 says: Jan 4, 2012 9:33 AM

BEST wr in the game. “hands” down

16. grogansheroes says: Jan 4, 2012 9:40 AM

This guy is the best, most complete receiver I have ever seen. I’ve been watching football for 40 years. The commenter, and I use that term loosely, that said he is over rated is an idiot. The fact he plays hard all the time, really impresses me. Look at Holmes, Plaxico, Moss, Owens, Ocho Stinko. You saw what he did when he had a QB. But what he is doing without one is truly impressive. Wish he played for the Pats.

17. vegaskid21 says: Jan 4, 2012 9:42 AM

factoryofsadness says:
    Jan 4, 2012 8:38 AM
    Most overrated player in decades.

*******************************************

Even I make some dumb comments on here, BUT, that is by far the stupidest thing I have ever read on PFT.

18. pavelfitzgerald says: Jan 4, 2012 9:47 AM

Calvin may be the best “red zone, go up & get it” guy in the league but Larry has the best hands in the league. Incredibly consistent over the last 5 years despite having inconsistency at QB (besides Warner)

19. bigvinnyinjax says: Jan 4, 2012 9:49 AM

I can’t help but think of the FORMER Pro Bowl TE for my Jaguars, Marcedes Lewis, who had more drops than receptions this year – and didn’t seem all the concerned.

The league needs more players like Fitzgerald – from multiple standpoints. Great guy, great player.

20. skipbayless says: Jan 4, 2012 9:50 AM

MonSTAR

21. jjbadd says: Jan 4, 2012 9:51 AM

Anyone who says Fitz is overrated, has bad issues! I’m a Broncos fan, & I would be elated to have him on my favorite team. If anything he is underrated! And just for the record, to prove I have some football “common sense”, I think the Broncos are probably one of the worst teams in history at this point, to have won their division. I am STILL sticking to my guns about Tebow however, but he needs a couple of recievers with Fitz’s talent or just a fraction of it!

22. norseyapper says: Jan 4, 2012 10:07 AM

Spoken like a true professional. I’ll bet you that he can tell you all about that one drop but virtually nothing about his top ten catches.

23. dawgsafety13 says: Jan 4, 2012 10:11 AM

factoryofsadness says:
    Jan 4, 2012 8:38 AM
    Most overrated player in decades.
    ————————————————–

There is no way you are stupid enough to write that.

*****************************************************************

The answer to your question is Calvin Johnson. Though I know the point you are trying to make.

24. PCa Survivor says: Jan 4, 2012 10:18 AM

Class act too. When he gets to the endzone you know he’s been there before. Doesn’t pull any of the diva wide receiver antics (see Johnson, Stevie; Johnson, Chad; Johnson, Meshawn; O, T) which will penalize his team.

25. bozosforall says: Jan 4, 2012 10:26 AM

Gotta LOVE that attitude…particularly given the massive egos that usually populate that particular position on any NFL roster.

Larry is THE MAN!

26. kosarsmyidol says: Jan 4, 2012 10:46 AM

I don’t understand how the Cardinals lost so many games with Kolb. How hard is it to chuck it in the general vicinity of Fitzgerald?

27. iluvwikileaks says: Jan 4, 2012 10:51 AM

Great player. Kind of guy you want on your team.

28. jessethegreat says: Jan 4, 2012 10:59 AM

dawgsafety13,

——————————————————–
    Nice try. Johnson didn’t come into the league until 2007 though. Calvin was not even consistent in his first few seasons. Up until last year, even most Lions fans were worried he’d be “just another Millen 1st round wr blunder”.

29. expatpatfan says: Jan 4, 2012 11:02 AM

============================
    Sometimes Fitz runs more than 8 yards by accident and puts himself out of Kolb’s range.

It’s difficult to fully compare Fitz to Megatron because of the difference in QB quality, but this guy is top 3 (AJ being the other, when healthy). Funny how none of these 3 have a rep for showboating.

30. tommikula says: Jan 4, 2012 11:03 AM

————————————————–

Sorry man I just can’t agree I would take Larry over Calvin any day. In Larry’s first 5 years in the league he had 3 1400 yard seasons, and since Boldin left he is the passing game in Arizona since he has very sub par wideouts lining up next to him.

Calvin has only 1 1400+ yard season (this year) in his first 5 seasons and one of his best years was 2008 where they went 0-16 which shows he did his job but he did not change games.

Its a great debate and they are both phenomenal, but I think Larry added some more W’s over the years to the Cards seasons where CJ has not.

31. westcoastredbird says: Jan 4, 2012 11:06 AM

Not only is Fitz one of the greatest receivers of all time he is a true class act. He could have let his contract been a distraction all year like Albert Pujols but decided to sign early be a Cardinal for life and not put the city of Phoenix in the same mess that Albert did to St. Louis. I will always be grateful not only for Fitz the receiver but Fitz the Man. With inferior offensive line play and shaky QB play what he did is even more amazing!

32. nflfollower says: Jan 4, 2012 11:06 AM

Great WR. No need to compare him to Megatron….they are different types. I will say Megatron is also a complete WR too though, not just a “go up and get it guy”. Watching his game this year, he does it all, underneath, over the middle, deep routes, run-blocking, everything. He’s not just a red zone guy. But as a Lion’s fan, I absolutely love the way Fitz goes up and attacks the ball in the air…some of the strongest hands I’ve ever seen play the game.

33. bigredjbird says: Jan 4, 2012 11:22 AM

Larry is a very special player, there is no other player AT ANY POSITION that continually strives to improve his game. The guy is a legend and HOFer plain and simple and I’m glad he’s on my team.

34. infectorman says: Jan 4, 2012 11:57 AM

Larry Fitzgerald upset about one drop in 153 passes thrown his way
    ******************************************

Good thing his name isn’t Roddy White!

35. fcs34 says: Jan 4, 2012 12:10 PM

Guys like this are the reason I started watching football in the first place. Very Payton-esque in his outlook and determination on the field. I’m not a Cards fan but I can replay some of his greatest cathches in my head no problem. And my memory sucks. Absolute monster.

36. suckmyvick says: Jan 4, 2012 12:12 PM

duanethomas says:
    Jan 4, 2012 8:49 AM

Imagine Tebow with Fitzgerald, scary thought.

********************************************
    In order for this comment to be relevant, Tebow would have to throw catchable passes. You can’t drop a ball that’s in the sixth row, or in the ground.

37. pilot2011 says: Jan 4, 2012 12:20 PM

The elite NFC receivers are so dirty… Though I would have chosen Jordy Nelson over Jennings for the pro bowl, the top 3 of Fitz, C.Johnson, and S.Smith is ridiculous.

38. kowboydmac says: Jan 4, 2012 12:29 PM

Can you imagine an offense consisting of Drew Brees, Adrian Peterson and Larry Fitzgerald?

Their obvious talent aside, the sheer willpower of those three would be a sight unseen.

Hats off to the men of heart.

39. fittytuckin says: Jan 4, 2012 12:29 PM

There are only 3 elite receivers in my opinion. Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, and Fitzgerald. Everyone else is good to very good.

40. davidpom50 says: Jan 4, 2012 12:39 PM

nflfollower says: Jan 4, 2012 11:06 AM

“I may be wrong on this, but the one percieved knock is that he may lack elite speed. What if he ran a sub 4.4 forty? This guy could be the one to challenge for Rice’s other-worldly numbers if that were the case, because he seems to have everything else you could dream up in a WR, right down to the intangibles.”
    ___________________________________

Jerry Rice was never known for his speed, either. He ran the 40 in 4.71 before the draft. It was all ridiculous preparation, precise route running, and the best damn hands in the game. Larry Fitzgerald is the same type of WR, and that’s coming from a 9er fan. BUT he’ll never break Rice’s records, because he doesn’t have Montana and Young throwing to him.

41. wannstache says: Jan 4, 2012 2:45 PM

This guy is a special talent, but his work ethic is is even more special. As a Dolphin (insert your team here) fan, I cannot understand for the life of me how today’s receivers can drop easy balls on a regular basis when catching the ball is their primary job. Congrats to his parents for instilling a blue-collar work ethic that has superseded his need to be a star. I sincerely hope he has a long and successful career!

42. infectorman says: Jan 4, 2012 2:54 PM

****************************************

yes, I can:

Brady, Ray Rice, Andre Johnson ( when healthy)

43. balewsquare says: Jan 4, 2012 3:22 PM

You gotta love Larry Fitzgerald. Talk about a role model…