Dolphins will interview Joe Philbin

Joe Philbin, Mike McCarthy AP

Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin is making the rounds on the interview circuit.

He met with Chiefs G.M. Scott Pioli on Wednesday and will talk to the Dolphins about their vacancy over the weekend, according to Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

Miami essentially seems to be lining up backup plans in case they lose the Jeff Fisher leverage game. They also met with Bears special teams coach Dave Toub.

It’s uncertain if Philbin will get the helicopter treatment for his interview or if that’s only brought out for big name coaches.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
53 Responses to “Dolphins will interview Joe Philbin”
  1. bigjdve says: Jan 5, 2012 5:12 PM

I would pick this guy over Fischer. I don’t know that this guy has years of mediocrity like Fischer. He could be the next big thing, I mean his offense works well enough.

2. cowboyhater says: Jan 5, 2012 5:13 PM

Regis is jealous.

3. clivus63 says: Jan 5, 2012 5:14 PM

They might as well interview Regis Philbin.
    The Dolphins will never amount to anything.
    That ship sailed in the 70’s.

4. wadecounty93 says: Jan 5, 2012 5:15 PM

I’ll take Joe Philbin over Jeff Fisher!

5. brutus9448 says: Jan 5, 2012 5:15 PM

Toub got the heli treatment so I’m sure philbin will as well

6. xpensivewinos says: Jan 5, 2012 5:16 PM

They promised to reimburse his bus fare.

Assuming his receipts are in order…….

7. skito13 says: Jan 5, 2012 5:18 PM

Who is the qb in miami???

8. rpiotr01 says: Jan 5, 2012 5:19 PM

Haha, yeah. Something tells me Joe Philbin isn’t going to leave Miami with a belly full of expensive stone crab.

9. phinscastor says: Jan 5, 2012 5:22 PM

If that means Matt flynn comes with him by all means

10. earthtopft says: Jan 5, 2012 5:23 PM

“Oh, crap, you’re right, this is Montana. We’re never going to get to California in time for the game, now.”.

11. fittytuckin says: Jan 5, 2012 5:24 PM

I wonder if his dad Regis will pull some strings.

12. pcoisma says: Jan 5, 2012 5:25 PM

13. mikeeg says: Jan 5, 2012 5:26 PM

Are teams going to start interviewing packer water boys next? I mean come on already…

14. Chuck Wood says: Jan 5, 2012 5:35 PM

Shows how much you all know. Philbin isn’t getting crabs- unless its from his wife. He’s not gettin’ the heli-treatment either… ‘less it’s the Miami team chopper landing atop the GB Embassy Suits parking deck. Hell- you’re all failing to realize one key factor, which proves Miami has genuine interest in the guy. Ya ready? Coaches of playoff teams are not permitted to interview at other facities. Miami has to come to him… Just like KC had to.

15. jcd213 says: Jan 5, 2012 5:36 PM

Cam Cameron was a heck of an offensive coordinator too, how did that work out? He totally choked as a head coach.

16. coolheir says: Jan 5, 2012 5:37 PM

Fisher= fish copter
    Philbin = fish cart

17. andygraham says: Jan 5, 2012 5:38 PM

I get the feeling Philbin is the decoy candidate for these teams… the guy they bring in to convince the “real” guy to take a smaller contract than he might want. I don’t see Philbin landing the KC or Miami jobs, but I do see him helping owners get leverage with Crennel and Fisher.

18. riverhorsey says: Jan 5, 2012 5:39 PM

Word is Fisher’s next stop is the Chiefs this weekend.

19. FinFan68 says: Jan 5, 2012 5:41 PM

Doesn’t McCarthy call the plays anyways? What does an OC actually do when the HC handles everything–at least during the games?

20. ampats says: Jan 5, 2012 5:42 PM

What about Schotty? He’ll bring Rob Ryan along for entertainment as his HC-Defense.

Fit right into the circus Ross has for a franchise.

21. miamiphin says: Jan 5, 2012 5:43 PM

Is he bringing Kelly with him? She can be the co-host… er, I mean assistant coach.

22. miamiphin says: Jan 5, 2012 5:44 PM

Ross/peterson/ireland, PLEASE interview Chudzinski and JAY Gruden, please.

23. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Jan 5, 2012 5:47 PM

Will they ask for his final answer?

24. juanh7248 says: Jan 5, 2012 5:52 PM

Toub got the chopper ride too

25. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Jan 5, 2012 5:54 PM

Just googled him. He looks WAAYY too much like Lary Coker. Like, exactly like Larry Coker.

It sounds bad, but a head coach is the face of the franchise. How he looks matters. If you look like Larry Coker, you can’t be a head coach.

Larry Coker woon a Nat’l Championship (should have won 2), I know. But look at his teams. Reed, McGahee, Portis, Andre Johnson, McKinnie, Shockey, Winslow, DJ Williams, Gore, Vilma, Wilfork, Sean Taylor, Winslow. There are more that I just can’t think of right now. I mean, with teams like tha you shouldn’t lose.

My point. Lary Coker didn’t look right as a head coach of that team. Coordinator? Fine. No problem, HC? No.

Joe Philbin looks to much like Larry Coker. We have to pass on this one. Sorry

26. jshawaii22 says: Jan 5, 2012 5:55 PM

….Miami is just trying to sell tickets. St.Louis is starting to build an empire. Watch and learn kids..

Yeah, at 2-14 they are really going in the right direction. The other teams rebuilding in the NFC West, Seattle and Arizona are both light years ahead of the Rams and SFO is 2 years ahead of all of us. Good Luck catching up! Honk on your way by.

js

27. dolphinsrule65 says: Jan 5, 2012 5:59 PM

pcoisma says: “Miami is just trying to sell tickets. St.Louis is starting to build an empire. Watch and learn kids..”
    REALLY? WITH WHAT QB?
    WHAT DEFENSE?
    20011 NFL STATS FOR QB’S

MIAMI’S MATT MOORE…RANK #12
    12TH Matt Moore, QB MIA 347 210 60.5 2,497 7.20 65 16 9 36 87.1 192

SAD LOUIS’S SAM BRADFORD..RANK 30TH
    30TH Sam Bradford, QB STL 357 191 53.5 2,164 6.06 68 6 6 36 70.5 216

DEFENSE:
    MIMAI RANK 15TH Miami Dolphins 16 19.6 313 1,043 345.1 5.3 19.4 74 219 34 7 14 50 112 975 29:51 17 3

SAD LOUIS 22TH St. Louis Rams 16 25.4 407 1,033 358.4 5.6 19.6 83 216 38 5 8 62 111 951 31:56 24 6
    RUSHING:
    MIAMI: 3TH Miami Dolphins 16 19.6 313 412 25.8 1,530 3.7 95.6 8 24T 88 21.4 5 0 9

SAD LOUIS 31TH St. Louis Rams 16 25.4 407 510 31.9 2,433 4.8 152.1 17 91T 122 23.9 14 7 12
    Keep dreaming…..

ATTENDANCE: RANK
    MIAMI 28TH 11 STRAIGHT YEARS OF REGUALER SEASON SELL OUTS..

SAD LOUIS 31TH

28. miamidolphins1 says: Jan 5, 2012 6:01 PM

pcoisma says:
    Jan 5, 2012 5:25 PM

what kind of empire is St.Louis starting to build, an empire that consists of going 2-14 yearly? The rams are so far away, its not even funny. their is no hope for that team whatsoever.

29. enutpenfry says: Jan 5, 2012 6:02 PM

There is more to being an offensive coordinator than calling plays. Play calling is the culmination of a week’s worth of game preparation, all of which Philbin is intimately involved in.

But to those who put a high premium on play calling, McCarthy has handed over the reins to Philbin on occasion and there has never been a noticeable drop in production.

30. lilrob10201 says: Jan 5, 2012 6:18 PM

If the Dolphins get him watch out.Matt Flynn will come to the Dolphins to solve the QB position and they got a pretty good team.

31. goldrush36 says: Jan 5, 2012 6:22 PM

@1972wasalongtimeago….. Rex Ryan is a head coach and he certainly isn’t pleasing to look at. Just sayin

32. phinfan says: Jan 5, 2012 6:26 PM

So Taub and Fisher got the helicopter experience. I wonder what Bowles got? A beer and a firm hand shake?

33. 122u says: Jan 5, 2012 6:37 PM

clivus63 says:
    Jan 5, 2012 5:14 PM
    They might as well interview Regis Philbin.
    The Dolphins will never amount to anything.
    That ship sailed in the 70′s.

Don’t worry,
    Regis is retired now. Regis will have a lot of time to guide his son, Joey :) from the sidelines. Perhaps Regis will help Joey implement the “Fighting Irish” offense.

On the serious side, I watched Philbin in their summer practices. He is really intense. He reminds me of Gruden. You don’t have to be up close to know whats coming out of his mouth. He’s a good coach and a reason why the packers are where they are and the dolphins are where they are. He will be a big improvement for someone.

34. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Jan 5, 2012 6:41 PM

goldrush36 says:Jan 5, 2012 6:22 PM

_______________________________

I’m not saying the HC necessarily has to be handsome. I’m saying he has to look like a Head Coach. I disagree with Rex’s philosophies, but Rex Ryan looks like a head coach.

Joe Philbin doesn’t look like a head Coach.

35. billybatty says: Jan 5, 2012 6:43 PM

Rams go 2-14 yearly? How yearly are we talkin?
    Sorry to remind you who has the more recent super bowl wins and appearances. Rams 1999 and 2001, dolphins, um, brb checking wikipedia for dolphin super bowl stats

36. mmcdan133 says: Jan 5, 2012 6:51 PM

jcd213 says:Jan 5, 2012 5:36 PM

————–

Amazing logic there. I believe EVERY SINGLE NFL HEAD COACH was a heck of a coordinator at some point. That’s how you get the gig, genius.

37. 122u says: Jan 5, 2012 6:59 PM

I’m not sure who wrote this:

“Joe Philbin doesn’t look like a head Coach.
    It’s like an airline pilot. I want my pilot to look like a freaking pilot. If Joe Philbin is my pilot, I’m not feeling as good as if say, Jim Harbaugh is my pilot, get it?”

Some of you people amaze me and I mean that sarcastically. Who cares what someone looks like as long as they do good at what they do.
    As far as a Pilot, I could care less if my pilot was wearing a white robe, had one of those white towels or whatever you call them wrapped around his head and was reciting verses out of the holy quran. Well, maybe I wouldn’t go that far :)

38. ditka96 says: Jan 5, 2012 7:00 PM

Phin fans before you think that Matt Flynn will correct all of your problems please remember Scott Mitchell. He played 2 good games too….

39. pcoisma says: Jan 5, 2012 7:00 PM

Dolphinesrule;
    Really you can not keep the Jags, Bucs, Phins only Shula -Marino era saves you rear end. I hope one of your teams likes LA. Still no stadium idiots blabber on huh? Good luck and Gods speed with them.

40. yettyskills says: Jan 5, 2012 7:13 PM

What did that pilot who landed in the hudson saving everyone look like again?

41. seatownballers says: Jan 5, 2012 7:16 PM

First off I must say despite problems within the nfl, I love the fact that opportunities are out there rocks. organizations dont hate. coordinators that are solid, get promoted. Prosper on.
    Second, there well be a biding war over matt flynn. Seattle and miami

42. lostsok says: Jan 5, 2012 7:18 PM

“pcoisma says: Jan 5, 2012 5:25 PM

St.Louis is starting to build an empire. Watch and learn kids..”

____________________________

Truly the funniest post this century.

43. MichaelEdits says: Jan 5, 2012 7:29 PM

I’d probably hire Regis Philbin.

44. 122u says: Jan 5, 2012 7:31 PM

seatownballers says:
    Jan 5, 2012 7:16 PM
    Second, there well be a biding war over matt flynn. Seattle and miami

I agree seatown, except on Flynn. I think there will be others involved besides Seattle and Miami. You know Holmgren likes Packer QB’s and last I heard he’s not happy with McCoy. I heard Flynn would be a fine addition to The Jets as well. Then there is KC with Matt Cassel. The Vikes were sky-high on Christian Ponder as the 2nd coming of Fran Tarkenton and now they are talking how nice Flynn would be :) Trading to a division opponent is kind of frowned upon. But if I was Ted Thompson and Jarred Allen was offered to me, my ears would perk up in a hurry. So, in short I think there will be others.

45. bchapman2011 says: Jan 5, 2012 7:32 PM

We do not even know if this guy is a good cordinator……He does not even call the plays on Sunday. Mcarthy is the play caller and Rodgers changes half of the plays at the line of scrimmage.

46. vbhall78 says: Jan 5, 2012 7:42 PM

The sad thing is Jeff Fisher will probably price himself out of one the open Head Coach positions. Not every team is as dumb as the Redskins…

47. vbhall78 says: Jan 5, 2012 7:47 PM

I think Joe Philbin & Mike Sherman together as Head coach & Offensive Coordinator would be a good combination. Add Matt Flynn to the ‘Fins you actually have a good offense but the Wr’s outside of Brandon have to be upgraded.

48. howiehandles says: Jan 5, 2012 7:53 PM

———–

Cardinals or Blues? Because the Blues have a pretty nice team.

49. 122u says: Jan 5, 2012 8:09 PM

bchapman2011 says:
    Jan 5, 2012 7:32 PM

I just gave you a point chapman because that is the truth and that is why Rodgers will get MVP over Brees. He’s not only a great QB but smart enough to run the offense on his own. That’s why McCarthy doesn’t get upset with him for changing his plays and probably turns to Rodgers more than Philbin. Who was calling the plays for Flynn? Hint: It wasn’t McCarthy or Philbin.

50. miamike says: Jan 5, 2012 10:05 PM

I respect what the packers have done recently but I don’t want another guy with an OL background.

51. sportsbastard says: Jan 5, 2012 10:43 PM

Fisher’s agent is a fella by the name of Marvin Demoff. The Rams COO is Marvin’s son Kevin Demoff. Connect the dots, the Dolphins better be looking for a Plan B.

52. xpensivewinos says: Jan 5, 2012 10:56 PM

Highly unlikely that Green Bay would Franchise Tag Flynn, but the fact remains he’s not a clear cut, guaranteed unrestricted free agent.

Crazier things have happened………..I suppose, but hiring Philbin by no means guarantees Grizzly Adams there come with him.

Are Flynn and Fitzpatrick separated at birth??????

53. cnyphinfan says: Jan 6, 2012 7:28 AM

Guys – this is only being done to satisfy the ‘Rooney Rule’ because coordinators of Philbin’s talent are definitely……….

in the………….