Jags coaching search grows, Jay Gruden reportedly favorite

Shahid Khan AP

Shahid Khan officially became the new owner of the Jaguars on Wednesday.

“I did have to break some piggy banks this morning,” Khan said via the Florida Times-Union. “It’s a great feeling. The check cleared.”

With that official business out of the way, Khan is looking to wrap up his search for his next coach. We’ve already heard the Jaguars have requested to speak to no fewer than five offensive coordinators from around the league.

Khan says that the actual list is even bigger. The Jaguars have requested to speak with or spoken with “several” other candidates that the public doesn’t know about, according to an article from Tania Ganguli.

Khan says the team has defined its top three targets and all three “are excellent.”

It sounds like the top three includes Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden. Albert Breer of NFL.com continues to hear that Gruden is the favorite for the job.

Gruden has been seen as a favorite from the start, but hasn’t been mentioned publicly as a possible interview. Then again, Khan said that “discretion is a very valuable asset” to a candidate.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Jags coaching search grows, Jay Gruden reportedly favorite”
  1. firstand4ever says: Jan 5, 2012 8:46 AM

Come to think of it. Jay Gruden kind of fits Jacksonville. Gruden was the head coach of a UFL team. Many aspects of the Jaguars roster and organization are UFL like. The Jags WR’s would not be able to start on a UFL team.That’s for sure.

2. southpaw2k says: Jan 5, 2012 8:52 AM

KHAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNN!!!!

Okay, now that the obvious joke is out of the way, I do like this guy’s sense of humor. Seems like he’s excited about owning an NFL franchise (and he darn well should be). Jay Gruden could be the right guy for this job since he’s groomed Dalton well, so if Gabbert can make it in the NFL, Gruden could be the guy to make it happen.

3. factoryofsadness says: Jan 5, 2012 8:54 AM

Jay Gruden will end up being a much MUCH bigger name than his brother. Hire this guy immediately!!!

4. ogre2010 says: Jan 5, 2012 8:54 AM

I hope Kahn wake up this city, I think Weaver gave up when the Jaguars when the Titans beat them three times

5. paulisrollin says: Jan 5, 2012 8:56 AM

Pains me to think that this guy thinks Jay Gruden can be a HC for an NFL team after only one season as a coordinator in the league. Sounds like what Mike Brown did here in Cincy when he hired Shula. Yeah not the good Shula. He’s going after the name to make a splash and that’s it. No way Jay is ready for that position. Good luck bottom dwelling for even longer Jags fans! Sounds like this owner is as dumb as the last one. And no I’m not hurt that they’re wanting to take Gruden from us. Seriously there are better OC’s in the league. So that doesn’t hurt me at all.

6. shackdelrio says: Jan 5, 2012 8:58 AM

Gruden is the favorite if you listen to NFL Network reporter Albert Breer. Rob Chudzinski is the favorite if you listen to NFL Network reporter Jason Lacanfora.

I think they should just have two other reporters throw two other names out there. This way, if one of the four get hired they can say…”You Heard it Here First!!”.

7. robigd says: Jan 5, 2012 8:58 AM

Gruden is a good pick for HC. He has developed Dalton pretty well, and will do the same for Gabbert.

I hope we get him.

8. FinFan68 says: Jan 5, 2012 9:01 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Can this guy please have a meeting with Stephen Ross about this subject? Maybe Ross might listen to a “peer”

9. stigman2012 says: Jan 5, 2012 9:02 AM

Gruden has done a very good, not great, but very good job with the Bengals offense and the two rookies. But H.C.? With his limited coaching experience and his time in the UFL??

Appears to me the Jag fans can relax–the days of misery are about to end.

10. suhnami says: Jan 5, 2012 9:12 AM

I think they’d be wise to hire Jay if he believes he can work with Gabbert as he has with Dalton and target a guy like Justin Blackmon in the draft to for his own “Dalton/Green” tandom in jax.

11. skinsfan5 says: Jan 5, 2012 9:13 AM

Glad to see Borat doing well for himself.

12. nationalmediacansuckit says: Jan 5, 2012 9:15 AM

Khan bought this team at perfect time. He’s energetic, one of a kind look, personality and seems to speak candidly. All of the things Weaver didn’t have. Let’s be honest, the Jaguars have been an horrible and irrelevant franchise for a decade. All of this is about to change from this day forward.

As far as coaches go, there is zero room for error anymore. Its time to get serious. Really doesn’t matter who the Jags decide to go with, just right this ship and get it right. Pretty exciting time for Jaguar fan.

13. jmagnet28 says: Jan 5, 2012 9:18 AM

For the Jags to land a hot young coach like Jay Gruden would be a huge upset. What Gruden did with the Bengals O with two rookies was fantastic. Great hire for Jags if it happens.

14. Exiled1 says: Jan 5, 2012 9:19 AM

Khan looks like Borat in the pic.

“I buy American Football Player team to make glorius victory for Kazahkstan!”

“High-five!”

15. wingz101 says: Jan 5, 2012 9:25 AM

Jay Gruden? Why?

I mean the Bengals look good on offense but they drafted very well with Gresham, Dalton and Green. Jax has MJD and one of the worst WR corps in the NFL, combined with one of the the most confused looking rookie QB’s to ever play in the NFL.

I guess they want Gruden to fix Gabbert, but while he is focussing on that, who will mind the rest of the store? I would think they would look at someone who has some more experience, someone like Brian Billick, who actually has OC and HC experience and who won with a Gabbert-like Dilfer at QB.

16. cincyhokie says: Jan 5, 2012 9:25 AM

Gruden’s been a big part of the Bengals turnaround. I’d hate to see him go so soon.

17. mtheparrothead says: Jan 5, 2012 9:26 AM

As a jags fan, if it’s possible to bring him on and keep tucker as a d.c., I’m all for it.

18. swagjag says: Jan 5, 2012 9:34 AM

Don’t think its gonna be Jay Gruden. And I’m betting the Jags name their new head coach within a week. At 7 we won’t get a sniff at Blackmon, but I would expect 2 top free agent WRs on the roster before the draft.

19. whodeytn says: Jan 5, 2012 9:36 AM

20. waitingguilty says: Jan 5, 2012 9:36 AM

Ha…I thought that picture was Jeff Fisher, and he had decided not to cut his hair for a bit.

21. e15725 says: Jan 5, 2012 9:39 AM

Gruden came to mind when they fired DelRio. Young offensive mind with years of experience running a team in arena UFL and all that time working with John. Not a loud mouth either , kinda guy I wish the Raiders would pick up. Great guy for qb as well, if he can’t fix Gabbert them he is a bad pick.

22. devinmr711 says: Jan 5, 2012 9:39 AM

Gruden did a great job, I guess some forget how bad Cincy was a year ago.

23. shackdelrio says: Jan 5, 2012 9:40 AM

“jmagnet28 says:
    Jan 5, 2012 9:18 AM

Incidentally, doesn’t that picture of Khan look exactly like Jeff Fisher would look if he were arab??”

Khan is from Pakistan. Not an Arab country.

24. whodeyben says: Jan 5, 2012 9:43 AM

Boy, with all this love being shown for Gruden and his “working” with Dalton, you’d think that Ken Zampese had nothing to do with it.

Take Gruden for HC if you will, but let’s hope that Kenny Z gets a promotion!

25. bigvinnyinjax says: Jan 5, 2012 9:43 AM

Khan is passionate about football and he’s not willing to drop $750mil+ on a loser. He’s going to turn this STALE franchise around and the first step is the hiring of a coach. I have no problems with Jay Gruden should he go that route.

The Jaguars were #32 in the league in passing yards, so we need an offensive-minded guy.

I’m excited for the future with this guy behind the wheel.

26. madenatewell says: Jan 5, 2012 10:00 AM

I hope they get Gruden, just to keep Chud in Carolina.

That being said by the end of this, Jags fans will he sick of hearing mustache jokes, Borat jokes, Star Trek “Khan!” jokes ect…oh what a great tenure this’ll be :)

27. northshorejag says: Jan 5, 2012 10:16 AM

khan you dig it!

28. lastl00 says: Jan 5, 2012 10:22 AM

Kinda looks like Jeff Fisher doesn’t he?

29. paulisrollin says: Jan 5, 2012 10:36 AM

I enjoy seeing the Jags fans empty hopes about Jay Gruden. lol Be careful what you wish for. Just b/c there’s grass over there doesn’t mean it’s greener. lol

30. cincybert says: Jan 5, 2012 10:45 AM

Jay Gruden would be a good HC for the Jags, and his departure would be a loss for the Bengals. But I wouldn’t be surprised if Jay Gruden isn’t big on Gabbard. For all the talk this past off season in Cincinnati about the need to get a quarterback after Palmer quit, Gabbard never seemed to be a consideration for the Bengals. I assume they worked him out, but the news was always about how impressed the Bengals were with Newton (if he would have slipped to #4) or Dalton or Ponder. I also wouldn’t think Jay Gruden’s impression of Gabbard has improved after seeing Blaine cringe and duck in the pocket for most of 2011.

31. MikeisWise says: Jan 5, 2012 11:39 AM

1st year OC who doesn’t even have a top offense? Yeah…no. Go steal someone else’s coordinator.

32. paulisrollin says: Jan 5, 2012 11:44 AM

“whodeytn says:
    Jan 5, 2012 9:36 AM
    You geniuses that say Gruden has no experience realize that he spent six years with the Bucs, right?”

You do know he had nothing to do with anything important there right? He does have a famous brother, you know, Jon, who hired him there. And you see after that he went to the AFL b/c no other team wanted him here or apparently saw potential. While I agree this offense has done surprisingly well under Gruden, like others have said, we do have Gresham, Green, Shipley (although he was out a lot of the season), Hawkins (who has emerged as a legit threat) and Jerome Simpson. Who does Jacksonville have to support their QB while Gruden works day and night to maybe make him a serviceable NFL QB? Nobody. Gruden is not the man for a HC job just yet and I think he’s smart enough to realize that. Especially for that team.

33. 303bengalguy says: Jan 5, 2012 12:04 PM

I’m going against the grain here and going to say that Gruden ISN’T the best choice for them – RIGHT NOW. Gruden himself has said that he’s not ready to take on that responsibility level at this stage in his career, and I think it would be jumping the shark for him to make such a move.

But ya can’t blame the guy if he were to accept an offer if it were made to him. I would hate to see him get in over his head though. I’m not just saying this as a Bengal fan either. I think coaches, much like QB’s can get thrown into the fire with disastrous results sometimes.

No doubt the guy has been good with the X’s and O’s in his first run in Cincy (who he should be gracious to, since no other team would even hire him as a positions coach previously), but there’s a LOT more to being the HC than knowing offensive X and O’s right? I wish lil Chucky Jr. the best regardless though!

34. 303bengalguy says: Jan 5, 2012 12:05 PM

cincybert – your point would be better taken if you could spell ‘Gabbert’ correctly. Just sayin…

35. cgalaxy says: Jan 5, 2012 12:16 PM

cincybert says:
    Jan 5, 2012 10:45 AM

==================================

This.

I don’t recall the Bengals expressing any interest in Gabbert this past off-season. They also looked at Ryan Mallet (who Mike Brown would have picked if not for Gruden’s constant stumping for Dalton), but there wasn’t any buzz about Gabbert that I really remember.

It surprises me that Gruden is considered a head coaching candidate after just one season coordinating an at best average offense. Of course, it’s probably just average because of the youth, not the talent, as we all have seen, but I’d think you’d want to see how well he develops that talent over the next year or two before hiring him as a HC. Then again, it doesn’t seem like there’s a lot of attractive HC candidates out there right now, so who knows.

36. bigjdve says: Jan 5, 2012 3:18 PM

I love how these teams are saying that these coaches are the favorites, however have they met the Rooney rule yet?

Remember what happened to the Lions a few years back, Mariucci was the favorite, then minority candidates wouldn’t interview.

They need to be careful about saying that people are their favorites.

37. MichaelEdits says: Jan 5, 2012 8:17 PM

If the Jaguar organization can’t look down the road at the train wreck that Gruden left behind in Tampa, and realize they should avoid him, then they deserve whatever happens to them.

38. earthtopft says: Jan 5, 2012 8:42 PM

I think Khan has his priorities straight. The mountain must come to Gabbert, not the other way round. He knows what he has, and he knows what he wants. The sale of the team has been in the works since Blaine was starting his junior season at Mizzou. Pretty sure that Shahid had input into the Jags top draft pick of 2011.

39. truthserum4u says: Jan 6, 2012 6:12 AM

Did Khan spend every last dime purchasing the Jags? Why else would this picture catch him hitch hiking?