Perry Fewell is signed through 2012

P. Fewell Getty Images

Steve Spagnuolo’s dismissal in St. Louis had a lot of Giants fans thinking: Can we bring Spags back to run the defense?

The idea didn’t make a lot of sense for a few reasons.  You can argue about the job Perry Fewell has done the last two years, but he hardly seems like someone that should be fired.

Fewell has dealt with a ton of injuries this year, he’s well respected, and the Giants still found a way to win the division. They had a better record last year: 10-6.

On top of all this, word came out this week that Fewell signed a contract extension after last season, according to ESPNNewYork.com. He signed the deal after multiple head coaching interviews elsewhere last offseason.

There’s very little reason to think the Giants would be looking to make a change.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
29 Responses to “Perry Fewell is signed through 2012”
  1. howiefeltersnatch says: Jan 5, 2012 9:18 PM

If I glance at his name real quick I sometimes think you are talking about the lead singer guy from Jane’s Addiction.

2. firstand4ever says: Jan 5, 2012 9:21 PM

After losing to Rex Grossman and the Skins just a few weeks ago. All you would hear about in NY is how Perry will be fired so that the Giants could bring back Spags.

Just 2 games later and Perry Fewell is back in good graces. Things can change so fast in the NFL.

3. berniemadoffsides says: Jan 5, 2012 9:26 PM

Assistant coach, linebacker coach… eventual replacement for Coughlin in 2013.

Totally disagree.

4. myfinalword says: Jan 5, 2012 9:28 PM

Lucky for the NFC East!

5. DonRSD says: Jan 5, 2012 9:32 PM

Fewell doesn’t run an aggressive defense.
    I hate how he plays off coverage and allows the wr a free release for 6-7 yards.

BRING BACK SPAGS!!!

6. mikea311 says: Jan 5, 2012 9:40 PM

I loved the Fewell signing last year and still do. He should have been the head coach in buffulo the way that team played for him when he was the interim coach.

The Giants D was very good last year and this year the were decimated with injury yet still pulled it together in the end.

I like Spags as much as the next guy, but Strahan, Tuck and Osi made his job extremely easy.

7. snikerbotloot says: Jan 5, 2012 9:44 PM

Agreed. He made their D much better when he came over from Buffalo after a disappointing 2009 season.

8. fittytuckin says: Jan 5, 2012 9:46 PM

“Who the f*** is this a**hole?”

Samuel L Jackson
    Coming to America

9. tallguyme says: Jan 5, 2012 9:47 PM

Cool!! I love Jane’s Addiction!

10. gpete1962 says: Jan 5, 2012 10:02 PM

Although Spags would be a better option, Fewell is much less of a detriment to the Giant’s than Gilbride is.

Gilbride showed a glimmer of hope in the 1st half of the Cowboy game and then came out to start the 2nd half with that don’t lose the game mentality.

Or I’d really like to know if that’s just TC philosophy being implemented.

11. gcsuk says: Jan 5, 2012 10:11 PM

Oh well. The Giants will still be seeing Spags twice a year…when they play the Eagles. That’s gonna hurt.

12. RedSox83 says: Jan 5, 2012 10:12 PM

I’m a Giants fan and I like the man. JPP is a total freak of nature, but someone had to coach him up. The Giants will trade Osi for a third. Draft another monster quick DE, and the D will keep rolling without missing a beat.

Giants 34-Atlanta 31 OT

13. bringithome6 says: Jan 5, 2012 10:25 PM

As an Eagles fan this was the primary reason I was rooting for Giants over Cowboys. I knew if they made the playoffs Fewell and Gilbride will stay on, which is good news for us.

14. mrdeezy says: Jan 5, 2012 10:37 PM

I want spags back. I don’t care what the circumstances are.without him we would never have been close to winning that superbowl

15. yevrag3535 says: Jan 5, 2012 10:40 PM

Giants suck, but Dallas is still king of the choke squads.

16. clavette says: Jan 5, 2012 10:40 PM

i still like spags more than fewell but id rather have fewell than most other dc’s in the nfl

and i agree with the post that fewell isnt even close to as big of a problem as gilbride is

17. dolphins4 says: Jan 5, 2012 10:50 PM

Lets go Giants beat those dirty Falcons.

18. lilrob10201 says: Jan 5, 2012 10:53 PM

gcsuk says:
    Jan 5, 2012 10:11 PM
    ————————————————-
    Jeffery Lurry said the coaching staff is up to Andy Reid and as much as I would like for Andy to fire Juan and sign Spags I just dont see him firing Juan.

19. rugdaniels says: Jan 5, 2012 11:30 PM

I think Fewell comes back, but the contract extension is a not the reason. The Giants don’t like their coaches to have lame duck seasons so they can avoid being asked contract questions every week. I’m sure it’s the same deal w/ the coordinators.

Giants have been operating the same way for decades, they’re not going to change things now.

20. billb09 says: Jan 5, 2012 11:37 PM

Eat the contract and bring Spags back! 10-6 & 9-7 with a defense ranked so low. I used to go to the bathroom when the offense ( late 70’s early 80’s) was on the field because our defense was exciting now after we score I turn the game off until 5 minutes left. That’s when they take the reins off Eli. With this offense and a Spags defense we would be a dynasty.

21. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 6, 2012 12:25 AM

I was one if those Giants fans who wanted him fired a few weeks ago. Countless dropping 8 with a banged up and slow secondary, and going out of his way to protect the young LBs.

Then they began getting healthy of late. It does seem like he’s been aggressive again like last year, which brings me to my point:

I expect non Giants fans and bitter haters to just twist stats, but to fail to realize or remember that the Giants were neck and neck with the Bolts for most of last season in total defense is ludicrous. Wasn’t until the last 3-4 games last season where the defense imploded. Tom has a lot of martyball tendencies. Can’t blame the coordinators too much when the Giants appear to be letting up on teams. Should have beaten Dallas by 5 TD the other night.

22. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 6, 2012 1:19 AM

The game is not going to be close. No need for OT.

23. east96st says: Jan 6, 2012 1:50 AM

“I knew if they made the playoffs Fewell and Gilbride will stay on, which is good news for us.”

Yeah, because WITH Gilbride and Fewell on the Giants you assclowns in Philly just finished your 46th straight “Super Bowl or bust” season. How does it feel to root for a team that hasn’t won the Championship in over a half of a century? Be honest, if you’re even remotely rational, you have to wonder if they will ever win it. I’m a middle aged man with grey hair who is getting “join the AARP” letters in the mail and even I wasn’t born the last time Philly won it all.

24. hebertespinosa says: Jan 6, 2012 4:11 AM

Yeah, the Giants made it to the playoffs, but I hardly see this accomplishment due to our defense, that struggled for most of the season.

25. bluefan204 says: Jan 6, 2012 5:33 AM

As much as I like Spags, even he couldn’t fix this Giants D right now. Too many holes, too many injuries. This team has been riding the offense all year. Let Philly have him(Spags). He won’t save that sorry D because he has little to work with.

26. baldingerspinky says: Jan 6, 2012 6:34 AM

Funny how a lot of giants fans love that jimmy Johnson style of defensive play calling. We need that back in Philly ASAP!

27. torturedraiderfan says: Jan 6, 2012 7:18 AM

Spagnulo would make a great DC for the Giants. Fewell didn’t impress me at all. The real truth is, the Giant should get rid of Coughlin and bring in Bill Cower. Coughlin is getting old and the Giants need to look toward the future.

28. wenellniners says: Jan 6, 2012 9:44 PM

DonRSD says:

Fewell doesn’t run an aggressive defense.
    ————————–

sounds nice but you can’t play that style of coverage with the injuries the giants experienced in the early part of the year.

i’m not a giants fan but considering their injuries this year, i thought fewell did a solid job. not much to complain about there…

29. jasleach says: Jan 6, 2012 11:20 PM